Best watches for racing

abzilla22
6/14/2018 10:25pm
I’m sure this topic has been discussed about a thousand times through but I haven’t really found the right answer.

I want a watch that’s able to track where I’ve been without me having to put in the trail system (for when racing off-road) but also have the capability to download trail systems.
I’m also wanting to track my heart rate with a chest strap so I can mount the watch on the bar.
If it can monitor speed that would be cool as well. Or depressing when I see how slow I’m actually going.

I really would just like a miracle watch that does everything without me spending $1,000 on it. Durable and waterproof are also super important.

What does everybody use? Does a watch like this exist?
|
mingham97
6/14/2018 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 10:42pm
I don't have a watch, but I have a Garmin 510 that does everything you mention. Garmin do make watches aswell. Take a look at their...
I don't have a watch, but I have a Garmin 510 that does everything you mention. Garmin do make watches aswell. Take a look at their range.
This is spot on

You're asking for a Garmin 510 or better. Don't get a watch if you're only going to strap it to your bars. If you are going to be doing running with it aswell maybe consider a watch.. I have a Garmin 735 and it's a great but the screen would be far too small for what you're asking.
abzilla22
6/14/2018 10:44pm
I don't have a watch, but I have a Garmin 510 that does everything you mention. Garmin do make watches aswell. Take a look at their...
I don't have a watch, but I have a Garmin 510 that does everything you mention. Garmin do make watches aswell. Take a look at their range.
mingham97 wrote:
This is spot on You're asking for a Garmin 510 or better. Don't get a watch if you're only going to strap it to your bars...
This is spot on

You're asking for a Garmin 510 or better. Don't get a watch if you're only going to strap it to your bars. If you are going to be doing running with it aswell maybe consider a watch.. I have a Garmin 735 and it's a great but the screen would be far too small for what you're asking.
I don’t necessarily need to mount it to the bar. I don’t really need to look at it while riding honestly. I just don’t usually like anything around my wrist while riding. I’d like to have something I could work out with as well.
6/15/2018 1:52pm
M400 Polar is what I use

The Shop

DrSweden
6/15/2018 2:15pm
I took a dig into this a while ago. I have owned about 4 GPS watches. Garmin is a bit more simple, manageable. Polar v800 has the best GPS receiver. Plenty haven't the software to create lap times (Like Suunto Ambit, great watch, great GPS reciever), even some Garmins.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my v800, but I will have to test it against my Garmin Forerunner 610 (the Garmin adds upp to a seconds to a lap, it's not that precise).

Polar v800 needs a chest strap, just like the Forerenner 610. Chest straps sucks. Polar M600 is a fine watch, but I don't know about it's GPS.
kNewc
2/8/2023 1:03pm
DrSweden wrote:
I took a dig into this a while ago. I have owned about 4 GPS watches. Garmin is a bit more simple, manageable. Polar v800 has...
I took a dig into this a while ago. I have owned about 4 GPS watches. Garmin is a bit more simple, manageable. Polar v800 has the best GPS receiver. Plenty haven't the software to create lap times (Like Suunto Ambit, great watch, great GPS reciever), even some Garmins.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my v800, but I will have to test it against my Garmin Forerunner 610 (the Garmin adds upp to a seconds to a lap, it's not that precise).

Polar v800 needs a chest strap, just like the Forerenner 610. Chest straps sucks. Polar M600 is a fine watch, but I don't know about it's GPS.

From my tests this has been the same. Also older Apple Watches tend to suck. I have yet to use my Apple Watch 8 on the track, but the Apple Watch 4 and older would barely register a legible lap on the GPS. If you really want to track your laps and get the best out of the software (optimal lap, best line in turns, etc.) get the XGPS receiver. If you just want lap times, go with Garmin/Polar. 

cwel11
2/9/2023 3:11am
DrSweden wrote:
I took a dig into this a while ago. I have owned about 4 GPS watches. Garmin is a bit more simple, manageable. Polar v800 has...

kNewc wrote:
From my tests this has been the same. Also older Apple Watches tend to suck. I have yet to use my Apple Watch 8 on the...

From my tests this has been the same. Also older Apple Watches tend to suck. I have yet to use my Apple Watch 8 on the track, but the Apple Watch 4 and older would barely register a legible lap on the GPS. If you really want to track your laps and get the best out of the software (optimal lap, best line in turns, etc.) get the XGPS receiver. If you just want lap times, go with Garmin/Polar. 

Are there any moto apps for the Apple watch that anyone knows of to at least try out?  If not it seems odd no one has. 

kNewc
2/9/2023 5:44am
DrSweden wrote:

kNewc wrote:
From my tests this has been the same. Also older Apple Watches tend to suck. I have yet to use my Apple Watch 8 on the...

cwel11 wrote:

Are there any moto apps for the Apple watch that anyone knows of to at least try out?  If not it seems odd no one has. 

MX Buddy and LitPro both work with Apple Watch and iOS. I prefer MX Buddy as it's much more customizable and you can view the actual GPS files on your phone. You can also chose Google Maps or Apple Maps, which depending on the track and it's updates can make a big difference in the map overlay. LITPro is a bit easier to setup, but you don't get near as many features and it requires a subscription. If you search Vital for GPS/watch posts you'll see I've been using it and recommending it for awhile now. 

Post a reply to: Best watches for racing

The Latest