Best tracks aorund Ocala FL.

Indy mxer
8/18/2017 6:57pm
Wife and I are planning a trip to Florida the week between Xmas and New Years. Winter sucks in Indiana!!
I'll be stopping in Jacksonville to ride with a friend (Harry Fastman).

I Plan on hitting WW a few times, plus another track there. My wife's sister just moved from Crystal River to Ocala, so she wants go visit them while we're there.

Brother in law isn't much fun so I'm going riding. lol
Are there any good tracks near there? Will they be open during the week? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Also, my brother wants to take his grandson's on vacation the same week and head to Florida Track & Trail. Looks awesome on the website. Any feedback on that is appreciated. I'll pass it along to him. I told him to hit WW on the way.
|
8/18/2017 7:04pm
Right in Ocala there is Hard Rock Cycle Park which is open 7 days a week. Then there is Motocross of Marion County which holds different races and the Regional Loretta's Qualifier. As far as near Ocala, those are the 2 that come to mind. The next closest will be Gatorback in Gainesville, and Wildwood Motocross compound. Wildwood is the newest addition to the area.
8/18/2017 7:16pm
Sounds like fun! Probably be living in Georgia by then. The new place is just a few miles from Hilliard and NFMX.
bkent136
8/18/2017 7:45pm
Sounds like fun! Probably be living in Georgia by then. The new place is just a few miles from Hilliard and NFMX.
Hilliard and NFMX are the same thing. Just different names for the same place. And to answer the OP's question, Waldo isn't too far from Ocala. Also checkout Bostwick when you're down here! Great track!
8/18/2017 7:49pm
bkent136 wrote:
Hilliard and NFMX are the same thing. Just different names for the same place. And to answer the OP's question, Waldo isn't too far from Ocala...
Hilliard and NFMX are the same thing. Just different names for the same place. And to answer the OP's question, Waldo isn't too far from Ocala. Also checkout Bostwick when you're down here! Great track!
Ya don't say? I used both names because I'm not sure which one Indy remembers it by.

The Shop

Wade221
8/18/2017 7:58pm
You moving to Folkston?
8/18/2017 8:01pm
Wade221 wrote:
You moving to Folkston?
Not quite. We bought 12.5 acres just over the border. Not even a mile from the border.
8/18/2017 8:02pm
How does a Moto bro living in Yuba City know about Folkston?
Wade221
8/18/2017 8:04pm
Haha used to live in Saint Simons during my Army time, so went to Dirt Farm, NFMX, Alma, Vidalia, etc. weekly
8/18/2017 8:07pm
Wade221 wrote:
Haha used to live in Saint Simons during my Army time, so went to Dirt Farm, NFMX, Alma, Vidalia, etc. weekly
Interesting. How long ago?
Wade221
8/18/2017 8:08pm
And to the OP, it's been awhile since I went to Hard Rock, but they do/did have multiple tracks on property (main, sand, GP, sx, etc) as well as trails
Wade221
8/18/2017 8:10pm
Wade221 wrote:
Moved away in 2011. Not sure if you ever rode there, but Vidalia(southern extreme), when it rained, was THE spot to ride
8/18/2017 8:13pm
Wade221 wrote:
Wade221 wrote:
Moved away in 2011. Not sure if you ever rode there, but Vidalia(southern extreme), when it rained, was THE spot to ride
NFMX has changed a lot since then. Starts in a completely different place, back section is all different. I've never heard of Vidalia...except for the sweet onions I so love. Did it close?
Wade221
8/18/2017 8:16pm
NFMX has changed a lot since then. Starts in a completely different place, back section is all different. I've never heard of Vidalia...except for the sweet...
NFMX has changed a lot since then. Starts in a completely different place, back section is all different. I've never heard of Vidalia...except for the sweet onions I so love. Did it close?
Yes, in 2009ish. Sand/clay mix. Big berms, and decent booters

All those changes to NFMX, but I'm sure AA is still running around shirtless, regardless of what the temperature is haha
8/18/2017 8:18pm
NFMX has changed a lot since then. Starts in a completely different place, back section is all different. I've never heard of Vidalia...except for the sweet...
Wade221 wrote:
Yes, in 2009ish. Sand/clay mix. Big berms, and decent booters All those changes to NFMX, but I'm sure AA is still running around shirtless, regardless of...
Yes, in 2009ish. Sand/clay mix. Big berms, and decent booters

All those changes to NFMX, but I'm sure AA is still running around shirtless, regardless of what the temperature is haha
You know him well! And yes, most of the time.
8/18/2017 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 8:56pm
As everyone has already said, best bets are Waldo, hard rock, NFMX, Orlando MX park (formerly Bithlo) maybe even Pax depending how far you're willing to drive. MX of Marion County(Reddick) only opened for racing. Croom offload park if you wanna do trails/off road and can handle the sand. FL tracks and trails and WW are two of the best tracks and facilities in the entire state

Edit: if you only have 1/2 days while on Ocala you either need to commit to Orlando MX Park (Formerly Bithlo) which is maybe a 30 min drove at most depending where you're exactly staying, or Hard rock, which is actually in Ocala right off I75 and has multiple tracks and trails open 7 days a week
Indy mxer
8/18/2017 8:50pm
Yep. I remember Hilliard. Fun place. My first taste of Florida sand. lol. But I'm in for that. Hopefully I can learn to ride that stuff a little better. I want to go back to WW as well.

So I may only have 1 or 2 days in Ocala to ride. Whats my best option and how far?

Btw we're starting to look for a place to spend winters when we retire, hopefully next couple of years.
Love the Savannah area, but there doesn't seem to be much mx around there.

Now we're thinking farther south in Georgia. I'd like to be within 90 minutes or so of some mx tracks and the beach.

Thanks guys for all the advice.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/18/2017 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2017 5:45am
Florida tracks and trails is a fun place. The pro track is only open once a month maybe. The am track is pretty fun. Another new track about 4 miles from FTT is Family fun Park that should be open by then too. I rode it a bunch when it was first being built and was a real fun sand track.
Hardrock is great for you and waldo close too. Croom is right along highway and hardrock is further south but a street over from highway as well. Bithlo is a great facility of you head to Orlando. Have a good trip.
jtiger12
8/18/2017 10:59pm
Is dade city still open? That's not much further south from ocala than croom.
8/19/2017 1:44am
I vote hardrock. It will be very close, so you can spend more time riding and less driving. There is a lot of variety, and some elevation. I always have a good time there.
resetjet
8/19/2017 5:31am
Dade city mx and tampa mx. Tampa mx does a great job grooming the track.
ab
8/19/2017 7:07am
if you are heading down south by FTT, I would recommend FCP. They hold the Loretta qualifiers there and it's a great sandy FL track.
FTT is gnarly but really fucking HOT. Like stupid hot even in the winter. The parking lot is on white sand and it literally reflects the sun into the ez up or trailer. And there are no trees within a 10-mile radius of the parking lot. Also, you have to drive your bike like a mile to go ride on the tracks. I feel like FTT went way too big. The pro track is worth it when they open it once in a blue moon.
Indy mxer
8/19/2017 9:40am
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info

Post a reply to: Best tracks aorund Ocala FL.

The Latest