Best source for purchasing suspension shims?

1/20/2019 7:54pm
I order all my shims from,sdi. However someone told me a car parts sight can't think of the name right now sells them for half the price. Never looled for myself.

The Shop

Jrewing
1/21/2019 2:31am
I’m always suprised at the cost of them. Just seem expensive for such basic things
PJRAUS
1/21/2019 2:52am
I do wonder...just how many suspension shops actually replace all the shims when doing a rebuild?
I know for a fact that RG3 in California do, as do most reputable suspension tuners in the USA, I suppose.
But here in Australia?...Are they rebuilding your suspension with all new shims , or just putting the old ones back in?
Are they revalving your suspension using mostly the shims that were in it and using second hand shims from som e other job to make the changes? I have serious doubts and suspicion....
Someone tell me where Australian suspension tuners get their shims?
Helda
1/21/2019 2:56am
PJRAUS wrote:
I do wonder...just how many suspension shops actually replace all the shims when doing a rebuild? I know for a fact that RG3 in California do...
I do wonder...just how many suspension shops actually replace all the shims when doing a rebuild?
I know for a fact that RG3 in California do, as do most reputable suspension tuners in the USA, I suppose.
But here in Australia?...Are they rebuilding your suspension with all new shims , or just putting the old ones back in?
Are they revalving your suspension using mostly the shims that were in it and using second hand shims from som e other job to make the changes? I have serious doubts and suspicion....
Someone tell me where Australian suspension tuners get their shims?
Andreani and Technical Touch I get mine from a guy that gets them from them....
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
1/21/2019 3:13am
They are crazy expensive. RaceTech sells them!
slowgti
1/21/2019 4:32am
The material and machines to produce parts that precise are not cheap. QA1 sells shims in bulk too
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
1/21/2019 4:55am
Jrewing wrote:
I’m always suprised at the cost of them. Just seem expensive for such basic things
You are surprised because you are assuming a simple part is simple to make. Go out in the garage and make one, then figure up a price.
JMX82
1/21/2019 5:12am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 8:43am
Jrewing wrote:
Markee wrote:
You are surprised because you are assuming a simple part is simple to make. Go out in the garage and make one, then figure up a...
You are surprised because you are assuming a simple part is simple to make. Go out in the garage and make one, then figure up a price.
They aren't expensive to produce from a thin sheet metal with a laser cutting machine so in my opinion they are grossly overpriced. Laser cutting machines are pretty standard today in any company that is working with sheet metal. The picture below laser cut shims for KTM swingarm that I designed and had made in my workplace.

captmoto
1/21/2019 7:39am
JMX82 wrote:
They aren't expensive to produce from a thin sheet metal with a laser cutting machine so in my opinion they are grossly overpriced. Laser cutting machines...
They aren't expensive to produce from a thin sheet metal with a laser cutting machine so in my opinion they are grossly overpriced. Laser cutting machines are pretty standard today in any company that is working with sheet metal. The picture below laser cut shims for KTM swingarm that I designed and had made in my workplace.

How much did your laser cutting machine cost. Asking for a friend.
Spudnut
1/21/2019 8:49am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 8:49am
Take all your shims out of your suspension then go ride and come back to tell me how overpriced they are
1/21/2019 8:59am
I use SDI for shims. Just ask that they send them via mail rather than UPS or Fedex or whatever.
BNG
1/21/2019 9:07am
Laser cutting is not the appropriate technology in this application. Yes it will work but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Punching is cheaper, faster and you get a superior edge finish and much better dimensional accuracy. Additionally high quality shims need to be made with the correct material and will also need to be tumbled to remove burrs. All of these processes only get cheaper at much higher volumes than a small suspension shop can match. Yes, shims can be expensive in small quantities but parts sitting on a shelf waiting to be ordered costs even more if you think about it.
JMX82
1/21/2019 9:36am
BNG wrote:
Laser cutting is not the appropriate technology in this application. Yes it will work but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Punching is cheaper, faster and...
Laser cutting is not the appropriate technology in this application. Yes it will work but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Punching is cheaper, faster and you get a superior edge finish and much better dimensional accuracy. Additionally high quality shims need to be made with the correct material and will also need to be tumbled to remove burrs. All of these processes only get cheaper at much higher volumes than a small suspension shop can match. Yes, shims can be expensive in small quantities but parts sitting on a shelf waiting to be ordered costs even more if you think about it.
I'm just curious why doesn't laser cut shims work? Laser cutting accuracy is 0.01mm which is enough in my opinion and edge is smooth without burrs when you are cutting thin material. With punch you need separate tools for different size shims which is more expensive if do small patches but with larger amounts that will be better option of course.

That doesn't explain the high price though. I work as an engineer and I do have quite good knowledge what things cost to manufacture
BNG
1/21/2019 10:18am
BNG wrote:
Laser cutting is not the appropriate technology in this application. Yes it will work but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Punching is cheaper, faster and...
JMX82 wrote:
I'm just curious why doesn't laser cut shims work? Laser cutting accuracy is 0.01mm which is enough in my opinion and edge is smooth without burrs...
I'm just curious why doesn't laser cut shims work? Laser cutting accuracy is 0.01mm which is enough in my opinion and edge is smooth without burrs when you are cutting thin material. With punch you need separate tools for different size shims which is more expensive if do small patches but with larger amounts that will be better option of course.

That doesn't explain the high price though. I work as an engineer and I do have quite good knowledge what things cost to manufacture
You need to reread my post. I said it would work and then gave clear reasons why, IMO, the negatives outweigh the positives. You could also make your own chain links with a laser cutter, but again, not the appropriate use of the technology.
PJRAUS
1/21/2019 11:39am
Wouldnt it just be so helpful if the suspension companies, Showa, KYB etc, made these available for sale as bulk assortment packs? They obviously have the machines to make these things or outsource to someone that does and I'm pretty sure thatvthe cost per unit is nothing like what we have to pay for aftermarket supplied shims.
Why exactly do they keep these parts to themselves? Why cant you go into your dealer and order an assortmentbof shims for your particular bike?
tk2stroke
1/21/2019 12:45pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Wouldnt it just be so helpful if the suspension companies, Showa, KYB etc, made these available for sale as bulk assortment packs? They obviously have the...
Wouldnt it just be so helpful if the suspension companies, Showa, KYB etc, made these available for sale as bulk assortment packs? They obviously have the machines to make these things or outsource to someone that does and I'm pretty sure thatvthe cost per unit is nothing like what we have to pay for aftermarket supplied shims.
Why exactly do they keep these parts to themselves? Why cant you go into your dealer and order an assortmentbof shims for your particular bike?
Would love to see such kits sold at reasonable pricing
tk2stroke
1/21/2019 12:47pm
Bret wrote:
I bought mine from MX-Tech. https://mx-tech.com/ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/21/319708/s1200_MX_Tech.jpg[/img]
I bought mine from MX-Tech. https://mx-tech.com/

MX-Tech was my initial go-to, but SDI has better pricing and a more clear website.
tk2stroke
1/21/2019 1:10pm
What I like about sdi. I just call them and they get my order perfect everytime.
Yep, they have their operations on point
Jrewing
1/21/2019 1:18pm
Jrewing wrote:
Markee wrote:
You are surprised because you are assuming a simple part is simple to make. Go out in the garage and make one, then figure up a...
You’ve got shims for brains bro
1/21/2019 6:01pm
What I like about sdi. I just call them and they get my order perfect everytime.
tk2stroke wrote:
I feel sorry for the guy that has to pull the order. Fn shims stick to each other and hard to grab. Then have to shove them into tiny zip lock baggies.
FWYT
1/21/2019 7:02pm
tk2stroke wrote:
I feel sorry for the guy that has to pull the order. Fn shims stick to each other and hard to grab. Then have to shove...
I feel sorry for the guy that has to pull the order. Fn shims stick to each other and hard to grab. Then have to shove them into tiny zip lock baggies.
Hhahahahahahaha. No kidding!
1/21/2019 7:56pm
JMX82 wrote:
I'm not an expert on laser cutting machines but I think you will be able to buy a small laser cutter that will cut thin sheet...
I'm not an expert on laser cutting machines but I think you will be able to buy a small laser cutter that will cut thin sheet metal about 10 000$

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/750w-yag-laser-cutting-machine_2.html?…

Suspension shims are made from a high quality base steel - that is precision ground to the thickness required. In my measuring - they are more accurate in thickness than I can measure repeatably.

That process alone is far from cheap. But in bulk quantity is relatively cheap.
To purchase small size sheets of a quality material - precision ground the tolerances currently held - you'd spend quite a lot I would think.
stamping them out in large quantity makes the most sense IMHO - and that's how they are done. If you think your laser machine is more efficient and cost effective to produce shims than the way it's done - I guess go out an try becoming a producer....

Assuming the true cost of production is along 10 cents a shim - bulk purchase price would be in the range of .30 cents a shim if not more - as a company has to make money who produces them.

Then sdi has to sort - organize - and store these shims.

You order it up - it's sadly fairly labor intensive to fulfill this order as it's not large enough business to be automated - then sdi pays this employee for that time, they pay income tax, property tax, some form of sales tax, building/rent cost, the storage bins/organization cost and some form of benefits and all that for the employee....plus profit and it works out to 1 buck.

I'd say pretty cheap really?? I'd actually bet it's a low margin product vs most of what they sell.
A fork spring perch set for instance, at 100 dollars is is making excellent money.

I personally can't say I've seen the companies routinely replace all the shims in a service. But - maybe that's just the "stuff I've seen" and not par for the course.

On a properly stacked and designed shim stack - shim fatigue shouldn't/isnt much of an issue. For most people spending the bucks on their suspension - it's usually new bikes/new builds anyways. I often wonder what happens too 3-5 year old bikes - but in my circles it's like they disappear to no mans land at that point.

Racetech is quite an economical way to get shims if you buy the gold valve kits - but it may not be the exact shims you want Smile

Post a reply to: Best source for purchasing suspension shims?

The Latest