Best source for purchasing suspension shims?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2019 7:45 PM

Seeking the most economical place to purchase shims. So far SDI has the best pricing compared to Racetech or MX-Tech, but they are still pricy and often about a $1 a shim. Is there a wholesale provider to get better pricing?

|

1/20/2019 7:54 PM

I order all my shims from,sdi. However someone told me a car parts sight can't think of the name right now sells them for half the price. Never looled for myself.

|

1/20/2019 7:55 PM

I think it was summit racing

|

1/20/2019 8:00 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

I think it was summit racing

Incredible inventory on Summit, but no sign of shims

|

1/20/2019 8:01 PM

Call your local suspension shop.

|

1/21/2019 2:31 AM

I’m always suprised at the cost of them. Just seem expensive for such basic things

|

1/21/2019 2:52 AM

I do wonder...just how many suspension shops actually replace all the shims when doing a rebuild?
I know for a fact that RG3 in California do, as do most reputable suspension tuners in the USA, I suppose.
But here in Australia?...Are they rebuilding your suspension with all new shims , or just putting the old ones back in?
Are they revalving your suspension using mostly the shims that were in it and using second hand shims from som e other job to make the changes? I have serious doubts and suspicion....
Someone tell me where Australian suspension tuners get their shims?

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

1/21/2019 2:56 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

I do wonder...just how many suspension shops actually replace all the shims when doing a rebuild?
I know for a fact that RG3 in California do, as do most reputable suspension tuners in the USA, I suppose.
But here in Australia?...Are they rebuilding your suspension with all new shims , or just putting the old ones back in?
Are they revalving your suspension using mostly the shims that were in it and using second hand shims from som e other job to make the changes? I have serious doubts and suspicion....
Someone tell me where Australian suspension tuners get their shims?

Andreani and Technical Touch I get mine from a guy that gets them from them....

|

1/21/2019 3:13 AM

They are crazy expensive. RaceTech sells them!

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

1/21/2019 4:32 AM

The material and machines to produce parts that precise are not cheap. QA1 sells shims in bulk too

|

1/21/2019 4:55 AM

Jrewing wrote:

I’m always suprised at the cost of them. Just seem expensive for such basic things

You are surprised because you are assuming a simple part is simple to make. Go out in the garage and make one, then figure up a price.

|

1/21/2019 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2019 8:43 AM

Jrewing wrote:

Markee wrote:

You are surprised because you are assuming a simple part is simple to make. Go out in the garage and make one, then figure up a price.

They aren't expensive to produce from a thin sheet metal with a laser cutting machine so in my opinion they are grossly overpriced. Laser cutting machines are pretty standard today in any company that is working with sheet metal. The picture below laser cut shims for KTM swingarm that I designed and had made in my workplace.

Photo

|

1/21/2019 7:39 AM

JMX82 wrote:

They aren't expensive to produce from a thin sheet metal with a laser cutting machine so in my opinion they are grossly overpriced. Laser cutting machines are pretty standard today in any company that is working with sheet metal. The picture below laser cut shims for KTM swingarm that I designed and had made in my workplace.

Photo

How much did your laser cutting machine cost. Asking for a friend.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/21/2019 8:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2019 8:49 AM

Take all your shims out of your suspension then go ride and come back to tell me how overpriced they are

|

1/21/2019 8:51 AM

captmoto wrote:

How much did your laser cutting machine cost. Asking for a friend.

I'm not an expert on laser cutting machines but I think you will be able to buy a small laser cutter that will cut thin sheet metal about 10 000$

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/750w-yag-laser-cutting-machine_2.html?spm=a2700.7724857.pagination.1.51d3773cwx5C5b

|

1/21/2019 8:59 AM

I use SDI for shims. Just ask that they send them via mail rather than UPS or Fedex or whatever.

|

1/21/2019 9:07 AM

Laser cutting is not the appropriate technology in this application. Yes it will work but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Punching is cheaper, faster and you get a superior edge finish and much better dimensional accuracy. Additionally high quality shims need to be made with the correct material and will also need to be tumbled to remove burrs. All of these processes only get cheaper at much higher volumes than a small suspension shop can match. Yes, shims can be expensive in small quantities but parts sitting on a shelf waiting to be ordered costs even more if you think about it.

|

1/21/2019 9:36 AM

BNG wrote:

Laser cutting is not the appropriate technology in this application. Yes it will work but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Punching is cheaper, faster and you get a superior edge finish and much better dimensional accuracy. Additionally high quality shims need to be made with the correct material and will also need to be tumbled to remove burrs. All of these processes only get cheaper at much higher volumes than a small suspension shop can match. Yes, shims can be expensive in small quantities but parts sitting on a shelf waiting to be ordered costs even more if you think about it.

I'm just curious why doesn't laser cut shims work? Laser cutting accuracy is 0.01mm which is enough in my opinion and edge is smooth without burrs when you are cutting thin material. With punch you need separate tools for different size shims which is more expensive if do small patches but with larger amounts that will be better option of course.

That doesn't explain the high price though. I work as an engineer and I do have quite good knowledge what things cost to manufacture

|

1/21/2019 9:42 AM

Start a biz

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

1/21/2019 10:18 AM

BNG wrote:

JMX82 wrote:

I'm just curious why doesn't laser cut shims work? Laser cutting accuracy is 0.01mm which is enough in my opinion and edge is smooth without burrs when you are cutting thin material. With punch you need separate tools for different size shims which is more expensive if do small patches but with larger amounts that will be better option of course.

That doesn't explain the high price though. I work as an engineer and I do have quite good knowledge what things cost to manufacture

You need to reread my post. I said it would work and then gave clear reasons why, IMO, the negatives outweigh the positives. You could also make your own chain links with a laser cutter, but again, not the appropriate use of the technology.

|

1/21/2019 11:39 AM

Wouldnt it just be so helpful if the suspension companies, Showa, KYB etc, made these available for sale as bulk assortment packs? They obviously have the machines to make these things or outsource to someone that does and I'm pretty sure thatvthe cost per unit is nothing like what we have to pay for aftermarket supplied shims.
Why exactly do they keep these parts to themselves? Why cant you go into your dealer and order an assortmentbof shims for your particular bike?

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

1/21/2019 12:04 PM

I bought mine from MX-Tech. https://mx-tech.com/

Photo

|

Bret Bonham

1/21/2019 12:45 PM

PJRAUS wrote:

Wouldnt it just be so helpful if the suspension companies, Showa, KYB etc, made these available for sale as bulk assortment packs? They obviously have the machines to make these things or outsource to someone that does and I'm pretty sure thatvthe cost per unit is nothing like what we have to pay for aftermarket supplied shims.
Why exactly do they keep these parts to themselves? Why cant you go into your dealer and order an assortmentbof shims for your particular bike?

Would love to see such kits sold at reasonable pricing

|

1/21/2019 12:47 PM

Bret wrote:

I bought mine from MX-Tech. https://mx-tech.com/

Photo

MX-Tech was my initial go-to, but SDI has better pricing and a more clear website.

|

1/21/2019 12:51 PM

What I like about sdi. I just call them and they get my order perfect everytime.

|

1/21/2019 1:10 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

What I like about sdi. I just call them and they get my order perfect everytime.

Yep, they have their operations on point

|

1/21/2019 1:18 PM

Jrewing wrote:

Markee wrote:

You’ve got shims for brains bro

|

1/21/2019 6:01 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

tk2stroke wrote:

I feel sorry for the guy that has to pull the order. Fn shims stick to each other and hard to grab. Then have to shove them into tiny zip lock baggies.

|

1/21/2019 6:55 PM

Jrewing wrote:

You’ve got shims for brains bro

LOL!

|

1/21/2019 7:02 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

tk2stroke wrote:

coastlinecascot wrote:

I feel sorry for the guy that has to pull the order. Fn shims stick to each other and hard to grab. Then have to shove them into tiny zip lock baggies.

Hhahahahahahaha. No kidding!

|