Best place to move for moto

kripple428
Edited Date/Time 3/30/2018 8:51pm
If you could move anywhere in the US based on strictly having more and better quality tracks to ride where would it be?
|
Thelen20
3/29/2018 8:14am
Dallas/FT Worth Texas imo, we are spoiled here with too many good tracks and too many racing options. You can race every weekend and ride every single day if you want to.
Tryhard
3/29/2018 8:32am
Im sure if your topic was titled " worst place to move for moto" , you would have alot more replies right now . I live in central virginia area . it sucks , i have 1 track and decent practice track that arent 2 hours away . The track closest to me is fine i suppose . The crowd makes it suck , and my practice track is expensive and hard to find people to ride with ...
kb228
3/29/2018 8:41am
Ohio is pretty bad. Malvern, route 62, and briarcliff are pretty far away for most people. Plus we onlu get to ride 6 months out of the year. Id assume texas florida or cali
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
3/29/2018 8:42am
Tryhard wrote:
Im sure if your topic was titled " worst place to move for moto" , you would have alot more replies right now . I live...
Im sure if your topic was titled " worst place to move for moto" , you would have alot more replies right now . I live in central virginia area . it sucks , i have 1 track and decent practice track that arent 2 hours away . The track closest to me is fine i suppose . The crowd makes it suck , and my practice track is expensive and hard to find people to ride with ...
Yep, VA has always sucked. I'm south east so I can venture to NC.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/29/2018 8:43am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 8:49am
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding that you can do. So I'd say this would still be a great place to move for moto if you can deal with the traffic getting to and from most of the tracks.

Edit: Make that 13 tracks. Glen Helen, Milestone, Cahuilla, Elsinore, Pala, Zaca, Kern County Raceway, DT1, LACR, Comp Edge, Sunrise, Cal City and Taft
Double Edit: 14 including Gorman
murph783
3/29/2018 8:45am
CT is pretty terrible these days. Southwick is close and they have open practices every so often so that’s cool, everything else is a minimum 2 hour ride from me, all our sand pit tracks get shut down. It was awesome up until about 10 years ago. Florida is the place to be in my eyes. Maybe the Carolinas from what I’ve heard, never lived there myself though
3/29/2018 9:51am
We do have a lot of tracks here in the Carolinas... I'd say living in the Raleigh/Durham area would be the most centralized to the eastern and central Carolina tracks, plus ones in VA. South Carolina also offers ClubMX, MotoVated, and several others too

Tryhard
3/29/2018 9:57am
Markee wrote:
Yep, VA has always sucked. I'm south east so I can venture to NC.
yeah it sucks been riding here for years , tons of private tracks but only open a couple days out of the year , and the only tracks worth driving for me is NCMP which is almost 2 hours , and budds creek which is now open every first weekend of the year publicly which is also another 2 hours , I avoid southfork unless close friend is riding . Everyone i know in the area does not ride any more in located in chesterfield .
tcallahan707
3/29/2018 10:03am
Colorado is probably in the top 5 for moto. It may move up the list for you once you add in all the other amazing things about the state.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
3/29/2018 10:09am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 10:13am
Colorado is probably in the top 5 for moto. It may move up the list for you once you add in all the other amazing things...
Colorado is probably in the top 5 for moto. It may move up the list for you once you add in all the other amazing things about the state.
Moto is great here in Colorado, not so great for our bikes, not the same power as sea level. I'm definitely going to go to Cali to tour the tracks and riding spots in the next 2 years. Glamis is on the list to try too.. Anyone in Orange County CA want to do a house swap for a year? 2500 sq ft home in right above Lakewood Thunder Valley?
DEMONDAVE
3/29/2018 10:23am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding...
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding that you can do. So I'd say this would still be a great place to move for moto if you can deal with the traffic getting to and from most of the tracks.

Edit: Make that 13 tracks. Glen Helen, Milestone, Cahuilla, Elsinore, Pala, Zaca, Kern County Raceway, DT1, LACR, Comp Edge, Sunrise, Cal City and Taft
/\ this
3/29/2018 10:28am
I’d get the hell out of New Jersey Laughing NC has a lot of tracks same with Florida + great weather. Cali has all the sick national tracks
BigDaddyG
3/29/2018 10:39am
After growing up in SoCal for many years (My dad worked at LACR for a long time and we lived in Palmdale) and then moving away from there in 88.....I get all giddy when I go back.

Portland is pretty rad for moto or should I say "seasonal moto" since we defiantly have a riding season. But have some bad ass dirt and a bunch of really sweet tracks and its only 15 hours to socal riding mecca. But if I were to move somewhere just so I can focus on moto I would be go to SoCal for sure. Weather is always killer, tons of tracks, all the big shops are there, etc.... I would look at the good side of Lake Elsinore, Temecula, Murrieta or go north a bit to Santa Clarita which is pretty nice place. Just my thoughts on it.....
jasonward73
3/29/2018 10:41am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 10:42am
Central Florida for sure.

Riding weather year round. cheap land, no state income tax, and good dirt. You can live 30mins from DisneyWorld but you'd think you lived hours away.

If you're a "party in Temecula" kinda person you'll never have to look for a riding spot in central FL (anywhere along I-4 and North on the FL Turnpike up to about Gainesville). Tons of private tracks and secret riding spots to those in the know.

Don't move to South FL (Palm Beach, Ft Laud, Miami). Riding options are basically nothing. It sucks.
zehn
3/29/2018 10:41am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 10:42am
Either Socal, either of the Carolinas, or Florida. Michigan gets an honorable mention too but you can't really ride in the winter.
mjn81
3/29/2018 10:41am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding...

Make that 15- Perris
brocster
3/29/2018 10:42am
Having riden or been to a few of the tracks in the DFW area and knowing whats available plus the types of tracks and type of dirt vs socal. To me Tx ranks a little higher for moto. Yes the riding areas and tracks are plentiful but the quality isn’t the same. Not saying Socal tracks are bad (way better than what we had in La.) but Texas tracks are pretty damn sweet. Look at pictures of Swan and picture most to be very similar.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/29/2018 10:57am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

mjn81 wrote:
Make that 15- Perris
I knew i forgot one!
lumpy790
3/29/2018 11:01am
We do have a lot of tracks here in the Carolinas... I'd say living in the Raleigh/Durham area would be the most centralized to the eastern...
We do have a lot of tracks here in the Carolinas... I'd say living in the Raleigh/Durham area would be the most centralized to the eastern and central Carolina tracks, plus ones in VA. South Carolina also offers ClubMX, MotoVated, and several others too

Eastern SC/NC have 3 strong Training facilities by the state line, Club MX, South of the Border and Jimmy Weinerts.
TJMX947
3/29/2018 11:36am
For me Colorado would offer the most by way of hobbies...motocross, mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing etc but I don't know that I would ever want to be land locked. California might be the ticket to check off all my boxes, it would be pretty epic to ride an iconic track like Glen Helen on a regular basis, or get to race Mammoth every year...kind of hard to do that living out here on the east coast.
Naanak
3/29/2018 11:42am
Central Florida for sure. Riding weather year round. cheap land, no state income tax, and good dirt. You can live 30mins from DisneyWorld but you'd think...
Central Florida for sure.

Riding weather year round. cheap land, no state income tax, and good dirt. You can live 30mins from DisneyWorld but you'd think you lived hours away.

If you're a "party in Temecula" kinda person you'll never have to look for a riding spot in central FL (anywhere along I-4 and North on the FL Turnpike up to about Gainesville). Tons of private tracks and secret riding spots to those in the know.

Don't move to South FL (Palm Beach, Ft Laud, Miami). Riding options are basically nothing. It sucks.
Any cities or towns in particular? I’m hoping my parents make the move from NJ being that they’re retired.
TJMX947
3/29/2018 12:24pm
Naanak wrote:
Any cities or towns in particular? I’m hoping my parents make the move from NJ being that they’re retired.
West of Orlando I would say, Clermont would be my pick - We've stayed there before on vacation. Its far enough away from Disney to avoid the traffic but you've got Dade City and Tampa MX not too far away. You can get over to Bostwick in Orlando. It would be sweet if you could pay Aldon to let you ride his tracks in the evenings after his riders are finished.
3/29/2018 12:24pm
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks that I love. It’s irrational though, when you factor in how little I ride. Any input on WA/OR moto tracks would be greatly appreciated though.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/29/2018 12:27pm
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks...
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks that I love. It’s irrational though, when you factor in how little I ride. Any input on WA/OR moto tracks would be greatly appreciated though.
Washougal. That's the only reason you need
2stroked
3/29/2018 12:56pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:

mjn81 wrote:
Make that 15- Perris
Make that 16- Antelope Valley Raceway in palmdale
Zaugg
3/29/2018 1:25pm
Don't move to SoCal. While there are a ton of tracks, they're all pretty much the same (except maybe Zaca) and the cost of living is thru the roof. (Rent, Taxes, Etc)

There's a reason all the pros are moving East.

mx131
3/29/2018 2:58pm
Another vote for North Texas. 15 tracks within a two hour drive everything from soft sand to hard pack, clay to loam. No state income tax, affordable housing, can just about ride year around, you will encounter a few rain outs. Was part of the reason I took a job here.

Post a reply to: Best place to move for moto

The Latest