Best place to move for moto

Jrewing
3/29/2018 6:28pm
Colorado is probably in the top 5 for moto. It may move up the list for you once you add in all the other amazing things...
Colorado is probably in the top 5 for moto. It may move up the list for you once you add in all the other amazing things about the state.
Moto_Geek wrote:
Moto is great here in Colorado, not so great for our bikes, not the same power as sea level. I'm definitely going to go to Cali...
Moto is great here in Colorado, not so great for our bikes, not the same power as sea level. I'm definitely going to go to Cali to tour the tracks and riding spots in the next 2 years. Glamis is on the list to try too.. Anyone in Orange County CA want to do a house swap for a year? 2500 sq ft home in right above Lakewood Thunder Valley?
I'll house swap you to the Beaches in Sydney Australia!
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/29/2018 6:33pm
Well you have 15 or so tracks within 2 hours if you move to the right location in So Cal.

Throw in Glamis dunes for fun riding and that ability to ride 12 months out of the year then I would say there is no comparable location.

Saturday I’m taking a 250 mile loop on my KTM adventure bike and will pass by oceans, deserts, mountain forest, on some amazing backroad twisties. Hard to see that variety on a short ride anywhere else on the planet
SoCalMX70
3/29/2018 6:39pm
Zaugg wrote:
Don't move to SoCal. While there are a ton of tracks, they're all pretty much the same (except maybe Zaca) and the cost of living is...
Don't move to SoCal. While there are a ton of tracks, they're all pretty much the same (except maybe Zaca) and the cost of living is thru the roof. (Rent, Taxes, Etc)

There's a reason all the pros are moving East.

Sorry, no. If you can afford it, there is no equal as far as the amount of riding you can do here.

And who cares where the pros live. The guys you're talking about can either afford to build right on their own property or they are frequenting private facilities.
Bry145
3/29/2018 7:01pm
kb228 wrote:
Ohio is pretty bad. Malvern, route 62, and briarcliff are pretty far away for most people. Plus we onlu get to ride 6 months out of...
Ohio is pretty bad. Malvern, route 62, and briarcliff are pretty far away for most people. Plus we onlu get to ride 6 months out of the year. Id assume texas florida or cali
That said, Ohio is quite affordable.

Living in an affordable area provides one extra $$$ to go riding.

I've lived in Nevada, California, and Arizona. I have more money to ride living back east in the Ohio area. Also, Club MX is a short 8-hour drive away to moto down in winter.

I'd rather ride half the year than live somewhere super-expensive and ride 0 months out of the year!

The Shop

3/29/2018 7:03pm
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks...
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks that I love. It’s irrational though, when you factor in how little I ride. Any input on WA/OR moto tracks would be greatly appreciated though.
We have washougal and a couple other low level tracks that hold racing series during the summer. In other words, if you want to ride your dirt bike more than 4-5 months out of the year, don’t move to the PNW. Don’t move here or invest in some good rain gear and be prepared to sharpen up your mud skills.

I’m from SoCal and moved to Oregon and it’s so funny how everyone in the PNW thinks it’s so good for Moto. Trail riding HEAVEN I’ll admit, but not good if you ever want to ride on a track; washougal has racing throughout the summer and like 4-5 practice dates. Pretty embarrassing.
Bry145
3/29/2018 7:09pm
Also consider the labor market in some southern and western states. Immigration has harmed job prospects and wages in some areas, and more people will increase housing demand and pricing. All the children born to immigrants around 2000 will be entering the job market soon. There are a shitload of them!

Here in the Pittsburgh area we have little immigration, the population is decreasing, demand/wages are decent, and away from the city/Allegheny County houses can be had for cheap.

We also have mountain biking and hilly terrain which is great for cardio work. I can do suburban mountain biking around the neighborhood on some decent hills, go to some good trails 15 minutes away, or hit some sicko trails over towards the mountains in Ohiopyle.

kdawson252
3/29/2018 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 8:41pm
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks...
I really like this thread. I badly want to move to the PNW, but I’m kind of afraid to leave Michigan because we have some tracks that I love. It’s irrational though, when you factor in how little I ride. Any input on WA/OR moto tracks would be greatly appreciated though.
Mountain View in Sandy, OR (45 min from Washougal); Washougal; Horn Rapids in Richland, WA; The Ridge in Shelton, WA; TNMX in Portland during the summer. I've had a tough time adjusting to the winter weather here (I'm from Alabama) but you wouldn't have any problem coming from Michigan. Riding is seasonal though.
zehn
3/29/2018 8:52pm
Bry145 wrote:
Also consider the labor market in some southern and western states. Immigration has harmed job prospects and wages in some areas, and more people will increase...
Also consider the labor market in some southern and western states. Immigration has harmed job prospects and wages in some areas, and more people will increase housing demand and pricing. All the children born to immigrants around 2000 will be entering the job market soon. There are a shitload of them!

Here in the Pittsburgh area we have little immigration, the population is decreasing, demand/wages are decent, and away from the city/Allegheny County houses can be had for cheap.

We also have mountain biking and hilly terrain which is great for cardio work. I can do suburban mountain biking around the neighborhood on some decent hills, go to some good trails 15 minutes away, or hit some sicko trails over towards the mountains in Ohiopyle.

There’s always one...

How often are these “immigrants” taking skilled labor and professional jobs?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/29/2018 9:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 9:24pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Washougal. That's the only reason you need
I like riding in the Portland area. If I could live there May-Oct 1st then So Cal the rest of the year it would be a dream scenario.

Oregon is seasonal riding unfortunately. Thursday Night(PIR Raceway) Washougal, Mountain View(Sandy Or), Albany MX and Riverdale(WA) are all within about an hour. You can ride Tuesday,Wed, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday between all of them. Horn Rapids is a great track but 3+ hours away.
Nuffsaid
3/29/2018 9:45pm
Is Belgium in the United States?
B DUB 333
3/29/2018 9:56pm
Socal, not only tracks everywhere, but the parks are what really set them apart. Glamis and ocotillo are crazy good and free! Ocotillo is 80,000 acres..... free. And the tracks aren't chicken licks, it's well known and maintained tracks. Here in South Central minnesota were driving two hours to Millville or the practice track right next to millville. I have property so we have our own track, but that gets old.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
3/29/2018 10:28pm
Everybody almost always says their home state when it comes to questions like these. So I'm not going to say my own state - which I do like BTW. There are many factors in my mind when I look at this question with an unbiased view. Every state or region has advantages and disadvantages. I'd rank factors in the following order 1) Weather (if the weather sucks, you can't ride - this one is a non-starter for a lot of states). 2) Riding areas available - tracks and single track, public and private (again, this one can be a non-starter) 3) Cost of living (if you can't make enough money to be able to pay for your hobby, what's the point?) 4) Quality of dirt.

Given all of the above, I'd say Florida or any state in the Southeastern US would be a good choice. I just don't know the availability of tracks and places to ride in the state, but I gotta believe there are plenty of options. II'd probably say Florida. Some parts of the state are cheap enough that you could buy your own land and do whatever you want for riding.
zac_k3
3/29/2018 10:43pm
I live in East Tennessee and I have two practices tracks and two ONLY race tracks (muddy creek and another little one) within 30 mins of me but then I can hit tracks in Nc, Sc, or Ga in a reasonable time. So it’s a pretty nice place to live for moto.
brapgod69
3/30/2018 4:29am
I lived in NC before I moved to California, and i have to say the tracks out here are way better. NC has good tracks, but i think California is the place to be for moto. I really like that the tracks open up early, most of the tracks in NC didn't open until 9-10.
Taylor415
3/30/2018 4:55am
mx131 wrote:
Another vote for North Texas. 15 tracks within a two hour drive everything from soft sand to hard pack, clay to loam. No state income tax...
Another vote for North Texas. 15 tracks within a two hour drive everything from soft sand to hard pack, clay to loam. No state income tax, affordable housing, can just about ride year around, you will encounter a few rain outs. Was part of the reason I took a job here.
Yep...hard to beat it here.
HenryA
3/30/2018 5:01am
Central Florida for sure. Riding weather year round. cheap land, no state income tax, and good dirt. You can live 30mins from DisneyWorld but you'd think...
Central Florida for sure.

Riding weather year round. cheap land, no state income tax, and good dirt. You can live 30mins from DisneyWorld but you'd think you lived hours away.

If you're a "party in Temecula" kinda person you'll never have to look for a riding spot in central FL (anywhere along I-4 and North on the FL Turnpike up to about Gainesville). Tons of private tracks and secret riding spots to those in the know.

Don't move to South FL (Palm Beach, Ft Laud, Miami). Riding options are basically nothing. It sucks.
Can't even imagine doing a 20min moto in south Florida during the summer. Blink
JB 19
3/30/2018 5:50am
kb228 wrote:
Ohio is pretty bad. Malvern, route 62, and briarcliff are pretty far away for most people. Plus we onlu get to ride 6 months out of...
Ohio is pretty bad. Malvern, route 62, and briarcliff are pretty far away for most people. Plus we onlu get to ride 6 months out of the year. Id assume texas florida or cali
Bry145 wrote:
That said, Ohio is quite affordable. Living in an affordable area provides one extra $$$ to go riding. I've lived in Nevada, California, and Arizona. I...
That said, Ohio is quite affordable.

Living in an affordable area provides one extra $$$ to go riding.

I've lived in Nevada, California, and Arizona. I have more money to ride living back east in the Ohio area. Also, Club MX is a short 8-hour drive away to moto down in winter.

I'd rather ride half the year than live somewhere super-expensive and ride 0 months out of the year!

Ohio has a lot of tracks. The guys who say it sucks must not travel more than 30 minutes.

If I was going to move just for moto though it would be central Florida or I've heard the Dallas area is really good.
vandy509
3/30/2018 7:03am
I don't know if I would call it "the best place", but I have a house and land for sale in middle Georgia that's a good place for moto. 25 acres out in the country, had a track on the property for a while that was awesome, but don't have the equipment to keep it maintained, so it's gone now. Full 2 car garage plus a workshop area that's perfect for moto! It's about 3 hours to MTF and GPF, a little over an hour to Moto X Compound, and just under 2 hours to Moto VIP. There are a few private tracks in the area and a few good racetracks all within two hours or so. Here's a link to the property details - if you know anyone that wants to be closer to the training facilities for their kids or what not, shoot me a message!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/339-Chambers-Rd,-Macon,-GA-31217_…
WVUpetro2013
3/30/2018 7:40am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2018 7:46am
Grew up in Ohio and then moved to Charleston, WV area for profession. I did not realize how good I had it in Ohio. So many mx tracks and woods races. In Charleston there are two pretty sketch tracks within an hour and no woods trails. To the this day I still have to drive to Ohio or Kentucky to ride a decent track

Edit: also wanted to clarify, this is coming from someone who loves West Virginia. While mx is in a sad state in my area, mtb is alive and well
ob
3/30/2018 7:40am
I have lived and raced in three states TX, OR, Southern California.
The dirt in TX is good but lots of driving between tracks from San Antonio, TX is a big state after all. Don't miss it.
Oregon has shit terrible weather most of the year, the dirt isn't good like people think it's actually hard for me when I go back to get use to riding hard pack again. And it's way to expensive now a days, for what it is. But summer is nice and the riding is fun during the good weather, plus it's beautiful. And their are some fun series to race.
Souther California is amazing for moto if you can afford to live near the ocean. Perfect weather year round, 78 every day. Lots of riding any day of the week, very challenging tracks unlike OR. Every fast dude in the world comes to visit, so you get accustomed to another level of speed. All the industry shit going on, watching the big dogs practice all the time at public tracks and riding with them "try doing that in FL". Plus so many other things to do any day of the week, surf, biking, the mountains, skiing two hours from the beach, desert and trail riding, but CA is also a big state, talking SoCal only.
If we are talking for moto only how can you beat it? I love it and am never leaving. Cheers?
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/30/2018 7:54am
ob wrote:
I have lived and raced in three states TX, OR, Southern California. The dirt in TX is good but lots of driving between tracks from San...
The dirt in TX is good but lots of driving between tracks from San Antonio, TX is a big state after all. Don't miss it.
Oregon has shit terrible weather most of the year, the dirt isn't good like people think it's actually hard for me when I go back to get use to riding hard pack again. And it's way to expensive now a days, for what it is. But summer is nice and the riding is fun during the good weather, plus it's beautiful. And their are some fun series to race.
Souther California is amazing for moto if you can afford to live near the ocean. Perfect weather year round, 78 every day. Lots of riding any day of the week, very challenging tracks unlike OR. Every fast dude in the world comes to visit, so you get accustomed to another level of speed. All the industry shit going on, watching the big dogs practice all the time at public tracks and riding with them "try doing that in FL". Plus so many other things to do any day of the week, surf, biking, the mountains, skiing two hours from the beach, desert and trail riding, but CA is also a big state, talking SoCal only.
If we are talking for moto only how can you beat it? I love it and am never leaving. Cheers?
I see you live in Carlsbad...hard not to love it here. Much different than 50’miles North of us. You’re my neighbor!
ob
3/30/2018 7:58am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2018 7:59am
ob wrote:
I have lived and raced in three states TX, OR, Southern California. The dirt in TX is good but lots of driving between tracks from San...
KennyT wrote:
I see you live in Carlsbad...hard not to love it here. Much different than 50’miles North of us. You’re my neighbor!
Moved from Carlsbad village to the Vista Carlsbad boarder, one side of my street is Cbad one side is Vista. Brewery capital of the world.
captmoto
3/30/2018 8:59am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding...
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding that you can do. So I'd say this would still be a great place to move for moto if you can deal with the traffic getting to and from most of the tracks.

Edit: Make that 13 tracks. Glen Helen, Milestone, Cahuilla, Elsinore, Pala, Zaca, Kern County Raceway, DT1, LACR, Comp Edge, Sunrise, Cal City and Taft
Double Edit: 14 including Gorman
DEMONDAVE wrote:
/\ this
From the IE I am 1 hour or less to most of those tracks. And you can't beat the weather for riding. Most of us here don't even appreciate being able to ride/race year round. We just load up and go. You also left out all the desert riding that is available to us too.
MMCDan
3/30/2018 9:03am
I've lived in most of the areas mentioned and believe southern California is tops, not just for the sheer number of tracks and riding areas available and great weather, but I think it's our access to MX parts and service providers that sets us apart from other locations.

I've had bike issues in other states and ended up missing the entire weekend and most, if not all, of the following week because no shops were open or I had to order online and wait for shipping. In CA, I have plenty of resources to chose from: former factory mechanics that work on bikes out of their garage, huge stores like Chaparral that are open 7 days a week with most parts in stock, service providers like Enzo and Pro Circuit down the street, specialty parts and gear suppliers with home offices here, etc.

I miss the dirt in the south and mid-Atlantic but CA is still the hub of this industry in the US and the place to be if you dig moto.

dboivin
3/30/2018 9:11am
my vote is michigan.

1. our dirt is good, our sand is good.
2. 4 seasons...but you get about 8 months of riding
3. you have about 10 tracks to choose from + Red Bud
4. winter you can slap a timbersled kit on and ride. or...

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/30/2018 9:51am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding...
Well, here in SoCal I just counted 12 tracks at least that are within 2 hours of me. Plus all the local desert and trail riding that you can do. So I'd say this would still be a great place to move for moto if you can deal with the traffic getting to and from most of the tracks.

Edit: Make that 13 tracks. Glen Helen, Milestone, Cahuilla, Elsinore, Pala, Zaca, Kern County Raceway, DT1, LACR, Comp Edge, Sunrise, Cal City and Taft
Double Edit: 14 including Gorman
mjn81 wrote:
Make that 15- Perris
2stroked wrote:
Make that 16- Antelope Valley Raceway in palmdale
They've been gone for a while now. Closed last year
Asimo
3/30/2018 10:42am
Bry145 wrote:
Also consider the labor market in some southern and western states. Immigration has harmed job prospects and wages in some areas, and more people will increase...

zehn wrote:
There’s always one...

How often are these “immigrants” taking skilled labor and professional jobs?
Been to a hospital or clinic or a dentist lately?

StretchASU
3/30/2018 11:09am
We do have a lot of tracks here in the Carolinas... I'd say living in the Raleigh/Durham area would be the most centralized to the eastern...
We do have a lot of tracks here in the Carolinas... I'd say living in the Raleigh/Durham area would be the most centralized to the eastern and central Carolina tracks, plus ones in VA. South Carolina also offers ClubMX, MotoVated, and several others too

This. Central NC is pretty nice for riding. I live north of Durham and can hit most tracks and trails in the area in 2-4 hours. About 4.5 to Motovated is the furthest. This also puts me within the same drive to almost every NCHSA, VXCS, VCHSS, MidEast race. Then a handful of the GNCC's, Full Gas and some National Enduros. Couple that with D13 races and the various smaller organization races like CCMX, EastBend and 421MX who is doing their own small series this year, there is no shortage of racing and riding in the area.

Just off the map is Lake Sugartree and Birch Creek in VA. Both great facilities.
ktmdan
3/30/2018 1:05pm
Bry145 wrote:

What immigrants are taking jobs that allow a person to afford racing mx?
ktmdan
3/30/2018 1:10pm
I suppose if you lived in the middle of the triangle of Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, you would be within 2 hours of Rio Bravo, 3 Palms, and whatever other Houston tracks there are, plus Cycle Ranch, White Knuckle, Red Rocks, ADVMX, Murphy's, Spoaks. Two of those tracks were featured on makeup to mud btw.

Post a reply to: Best place to move for moto

The Latest