Best physical atribute for MX?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2018 10:51 PM

My feet and hands were not big enough for swimming. (even tho i won everything in sight as a junior).
to overall small for afl football (even tho i played in key defensive positions against bigger opponents and won many one on ones)
to short for basketball ( even tho i was captain of my school championship winning u16 team)
i shifted to MX and did very well as i already had alot more fitness and strength than many others. (proffesional sportsman father).

so what, in your opinion, would be an advantage to be good on a dirtbike.

i have my thoughts, but will leave them till later.

cheers

|

3/26/2018 11:00 PM

Grapefruit sized nuts and a brain the size of a pea ?

|

3/26/2018 11:05 PM

Dedication from a young age and rich parents.

Oh, physical attributes... Short, red head.

|

James

3/26/2018 11:49 PM

sumdood wrote:

That just about sums it up.

Seems smaller dudes do better just with the power to weight ratio but on a 450 it doesn't seem to make much difference

|

3/26/2018 11:50 PM

Wring the neck of a two stroke for a season or two, then bring it to the four stroke, nah, just stay on the two stroke. Cardio, good knees and a bit of Weston Peick and Bob Hannah's attitude.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

3/26/2018 11:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2018 11:55 PM

1- 800- ASK- DENNY

|

3/27/2018 1:13 AM

A high strength to weight ratio

|

3/27/2018 1:15 AM

The mind, as it can over come any physical disadvantage (within reason)

Looking back over motocross history there have been successful riders of all shapes and sizes. Watching Carmichael and Pastrana race together was a fine example. Albeit brief, but they were somewhat similar in speed despite an 8 inch difference in height. You could argue Carmichael was too short, and Pastrana too tall, but they both had the ability to be the fastest on the track at any given time. They both had fierce determination and desire and that in the end is what made them fast and successful.

|

@russ_69

3/27/2018 1:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 1:42 AM

The most important thing is the determination to want to win and be fully employed for it, then you have to have talent to be able to win, determination, talent, means and luck.
Harry Everts, had polio as a child, left a leg a little bad and lame, and even so was one of the best riders there has been and won four worldchampionships.
Photo

|

3/27/2018 2:15 AM

sumdood wrote:

Haha I've always said the ones who spell like 3rd graders will be fast as.
Parents with property and a little money these days.

|

3/27/2018 2:16 AM

Ginger pubes

|

3/27/2018 2:35 AM

The most critical physical attribute for MX is slow twitch muscles. Especially in the forearms. With the exception of Tyler Evens there is not a bulky guy in the group. The ability to sustain muscle force for a long duration determines your ability to succeed in this endurance sport. Everything else you can learn.

|

3/27/2018 2:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 2:45 AM

reflexes, focus and an addictive personality (for training and competing -- not drugs -- but it sometimes ends up there).

|

3/27/2018 2:56 AM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

Dedication from a young age and rich parents.

Oh, physical attributes... Short, red head.

I diaagree on the rich parents part. Every past champion was in the position, where his family put it all on the line. I think that burden is a necessary part to turn a great rider into the best rider.

|

3/27/2018 2:58 AM

A big chin, sharp jaw line and the ability to grow a brooding beard at the drop of a hat.

|

3/27/2018 3:10 AM

andy wrote:

The most critical physical attribute for MX is slow twitch muscles. Especially in the forearms. With the exception of Tyler ...more

We have a winner, imo.
forearm strength and grip strength are things that if your genetics have given you an advantage would help..

any more thoughts?

i dont really think the "balls of steel" matter tha5 much as kids we were doing the biggest stuff that was done then. never gave it a second thought and if you continue that for long enough, that stuff becomes 'normal'.

|

3/27/2018 3:55 AM

Mental toughness

|

3/27/2018 6:40 AM

Rhythm and coordination help quite a bit....

|

3/27/2018 6:46 AM

Big lungs

|

3/27/2018 6:47 AM

Rich parents.

Big work ethic leading to great fitness.

Amazing talent.

Willingness to risk serious body injury almost daily from a young age up till age 30ish.

Avoiding that serious injury at least until you turn pro and have a solid ride.

Don’t be taller than 6”3’.

That’s all you’ve gotta do. Pretty easy.

|

3/27/2018 7:45 AM

Inner ear~ balance and proprioception
Great set of lungs
Will

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

3/27/2018 7:55 AM

Creativity. And a positive attitude. Stubborn as a mule.

Those all overcome greater physical specimens. And pretty much describe Carmichael, Villopoto, and Dungey.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

3/27/2018 8:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 8:07 AM

Lots of time, dedication and money to allow for lots of practice. The rest will just happen. Unless you are a complete squid no matter what. Look at Peick.

|

3/27/2018 9:10 AM

slipdog wrote:

Big lungs

Yup. High VO2 threshold

|

3/27/2018 9:14 AM

large wallet

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

3/27/2018 9:28 AM

Big peepee

|

3/27/2018 9:44 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Inner ear~ balance and proprioception
Great set of lungs
Will

Great hair cut
Scars...chicks dig scars
The Weston Pike smirk

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

3/27/2018 9:57 AM

One thing I really like about MX is I don't think one body type really fits better then the other. As long as you can evolve your riding style around what your strengths and weaknesses are it works. Look at Peick vs Marv. Peick looks like a linebacker and Marv looks like a cyclist. Even looking at height I don't think it matters. JS7, RV, and RC are all practically hobbits, but Eli, Anderson, and Dungey are all pretty average to taller guys. The common threads or physical attributes I think help the most are probably things like higher vo2 or lactate threshold, which basically boil down to being better endurance athletes. Slow vs fast twitch IMO I think you need a pretty even split.

|

3/27/2018 10:08 AM

I think the most important attributes for MX are internal (mental) rather than physical.

Determination
Fearlessness
Fight or flight tipping slightly in the fight direction (so you hold it on when you get a little scared vs letting off)
Commitment
Drive
Ability to understand what the bike is doing so as to set it up properly.

But at the same time...you can't be a fatty...and being over probably 6'1" or 2" is probably a disadvantage...how anyone can find the shift lever or rear brake lever with bigger than size 12 feet is beyond me...Lean muscle...great balance...

|

3/27/2018 10:18 AM

I think excellent vision and depth perception are important and translating what you see into where and how you go.

|