Best mx gear?

RE70
4/3/2018 1:17am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 1:18pm
I’ve been wearing Thor gear for a few years now but I have been having some issues with the quality of the gear, I know most things would be personal preference but I’d like to know what gear (mainly jerseys/pants) you guys recommend.
|
Motofinne
4/3/2018 1:31am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 4:41am
These are the gear sets that i have used the recent years:

2015: Fox 360
2016: Fox Flexair
2017: Alpinestars Racer & Techstar, Thor Primefit
2018: Alpinestars Racer & Techstar

Fox updated the 360 line in 2017 so i can't comment on that because the 2015 is completely different. The Flexair line is still pretty similar so i can give my thoughts on that. It is probably the most comfortable gear i have used. The durability is not the best and the price is high. The jersey is very, very lightweight.

You've used Thor so i won't comment on that gear set more than the pants are cut so weird in the knee area. POD knee braces(bulky patella cup) + Primefit pants = disaster.

Alpinestars Racer is the cheaper line and the durability is top notch. The quality of the materials is not the best but it is very good if we look at its competitors in that price range. The ventilation is not the best so it suits perfectly for colder days or colder climates. The fitment is looser compared to most high end gear

Alpinestars Techstar is the more expensive line. The durability is even better and the materials are better than the cheaper Racer line. It's also a more ventilated gear set so it's perfect for warm days or warm climate. The Techstar gear fits a bit slimmer compared to the Racer gear.
Tonynz
4/3/2018 1:53am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 1:55am
Personal preference, I wore Fox for years between times No Fear, Now wear Fast House.
If I was to change from Fast House, it would be Fly, for what they do for the the Privateers, 722 , 723 etc and JT$ is a good guy,
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
4/3/2018 3:50am
Not sure why but my best experience is with brands that are not that popular or not that big.
The best set I had was by Firstracing. I believe it's a German or French brand. Used it for 5 years
Right now very happy with moose racing Sahara
TLD falls apart in a matter of months.
Haven't tried the most es pensive) expensive fox ones
kb228
4/3/2018 4:06am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 4:08am
I used fly a few years ago. Its definitely a budget brand. Doesnt hold up. Switched to thor after the fly gear. Have had the same set for 3 years now and its still great. If thor would make some decent designs id get another set. The cats and basic design schemes are stupid.

The alpinestars gear looks appealing to me as far as getting new stuff

The Shop

RE70
4/3/2018 4:39am
Motofinne wrote:
These are the gear sets that i have used the recent years: 2015: Fox 360 2016: Fox Flexair 2017: Alpinestars Racer & Techstar, Thor Primefit 2018...
These are the gear sets that i have used the recent years:

2015: Fox 360
2016: Fox Flexair
2017: Alpinestars Racer & Techstar, Thor Primefit
2018: Alpinestars Racer & Techstar

Fox updated the 360 line in 2017 so i can't comment on that because the 2015 is completely different. The Flexair line is still pretty similar so i can give my thoughts on that. It is probably the most comfortable gear i have used. The durability is not the best and the price is high. The jersey is very, very lightweight.

You've used Thor so i won't comment on that gear set more than the pants are cut so weird in the knee area. POD knee braces(bulky patella cup) + Primefit pants = disaster.

Alpinestars Racer is the cheaper line and the durability is top notch. The quality of the materials is not the best but it is very good if we look at its competitors in that price range. The ventilation is not the best so it suits perfectly for colder days or colder climates. The fitment is looser compared to most high end gear

Alpinestars Techstar is the more expensive line. The durability is even better and the materials are better than the cheaper Racer line. It's also a more ventilated gear set so it's perfect for warm days or warm climate. The Techstar gear fits a bit slimmer compared to the Racer gear.
thanks for the info mate I think I may do a JA and start wearing alpinestars lol
murph783
4/3/2018 4:48am
Been running alias for the past handful of years, great luck with it. I’ve got sets of both lines, but I actually ended up with more of the A2 (cheaper) and it holds up really well. I’ve gotten a couple years out of multiple sets and still got them going. A1 stuff feels a little bit better, more adjustability for the fit, higher quality material, lasts just as long
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
4/3/2018 4:55am
I was a Fox hater for my entire life. The quad bros, and posers who wear this stuff really turned me off...

With that being said, I got some Flexair on closeout and I’m hooked. I now have the Shift BlueLabel, which is essentially flexair stuff. It is by far and away the best gear I have ever owned. Light, durable, stretchy (think sweatpants comfortable), and did I mention how comfortable it is?
Jt$
4/3/2018 5:18am
kb228 wrote:
I used fly a few years ago. Its definitely a budget brand. Doesnt hold up. Switched to thor after the fly gear. Have had the same...
I used fly a few years ago. Its definitely a budget brand. Doesnt hold up. Switched to thor after the fly gear. Have had the same set for 3 years now and its still great. If thor would make some decent designs id get another set. The cats and basic design schemes are stupid.

I think you answered your own complaint here. I raced a 2009 Honda 450 and it was the worst bike I’ve ever raced professionally. I also have ridden the 2017 and 2018 Honda and that bike is incredible. Times change, products change, products improve. I think your experience with current FLY products might change as well.
mmain62
4/3/2018 5:39am
My next set will be the 18.5 FLY Mesh stuff.
AlexB289
Fantasy
3241st
4/3/2018 8:49am
I just ordered some clearance Answer Elite gear. Hope it holds up well
Tryhard
4/3/2018 9:02am
I ran no fear and oldschool answer for years , loved it . The new answer sucks , i have a couple sets of one industries which was super cheap but it has held up greatly to bad they arent making it anymore .Next set i will buy , will be fly . They are putting more money into growing our sport then just supporting the factory teams . They are at the races supporting local riders and privateers . Dont really care about anything else to be honest . Plus their durability is much better now from what i see with my friends .
mx965
4/3/2018 9:03am
kb228 wrote:
I used fly a few years ago. Its definitely a budget brand. Doesnt hold up. Switched to thor after the fly gear. Have had the same...

Jt$ wrote:
I think you answered your own complaint here. I raced a 2009 Honda 450 and it was the worst bike I’ve ever raced professionally. I also...
I think you answered your own complaint here. I raced a 2009 Honda 450 and it was the worst bike I’ve ever raced professionally. I also have ridden the 2017 and 2018 Honda and that bike is incredible. Times change, products change, products improve. I think your experience with current FLY products might change as well.
JT took the words out of my mouth. I wore thor gear for years, switched to fly in 2015. The fly material is honestly much better IMO. I always rip out the interior of the pants where you would grip the bike due to knee braces (I know this is always a concern with different gear brands). I can honestly say the fly pants hold up much much longer than others that I have worn. The fit is also superior. Once you wear a set of the lite hydrogen you will not switch back, I guarantee it.

Just for perspective: I usually put 40ish hours on a bike per year, usually get 3 sets of gear for the year as well. I am not easy on the stuff either.
Zaugg
4/3/2018 9:07am
Questions like these are like asking if you like blondes or brunettes. Its very subjective bases on fit and user.

A fast amateur might rip thru a set of gear in a month while a vet might not need new gear for several years.

Riding style, knee braces, riding technique, fit, your body type, materials, and then style/ graphics/ "colorways" all factory in. (BTW, really hate the term colorway because it makes moto guys sound like fashion posers).

Everybody likes different brands for different reasons. Find a set that fits well, looks good, then pull the trigger.
Drtbykr
4/3/2018 9:18am
Paid for gear is the best. I had an epiphany (sounds painful) after getting passed by someone in a hockey jersey.

Try some on, best price and fit wins. Wear it until it is shreds. Use the money for gas and fresh tires.

I do love a nice fresh pair of MX socks though. Swampy in the east.
Mocaby_24
9/7/2018 10:32pm
I've got 4 sets of gear. The 2 sets of fox I have I'm not too fond of. One set is almost done and hasn't had much use. The old thor cor is good stuff. But I'd say as of right now I ended up buying some new JT Hyperlite Gear set and I'm impressed. Super nice material on jersey, pants and gloves. Flexible and comfortable. Looks good and is very durable. The gloves are awesome compared to any other brand I've ran. And its priced good. I'll be buying more of it when I do in the future.
JohnMatrix
9/8/2018 7:22am
Had anyone tried the leatt gpx 5.5 gear? I'm liking the look of some of their 2019 combos.
Hallzilla
9/8/2018 7:46am
MxKing809 wrote:
I was a Fox hater for my entire life. The quad bros, and posers who wear this stuff really turned me off... With that being said...
I was a Fox hater for my entire life. The quad bros, and posers who wear this stuff really turned me off...

With that being said, I got some Flexair on closeout and I’m hooked. I now have the Shift BlueLabel, which is essentially flexair stuff. It is by far and away the best gear I have ever owned. Light, durable, stretchy (think sweatpants comfortable), and did I mention how comfortable it is?
HAHa, me too, but broke down and bought some 2017 360 gear last year on a can't miss bro price. I feel like John Travolta in Saturday night Fever putting his disco pants on, but once on, they fit great. Starting to tear where the material meets the leather around the inner knee brace. But they are over a year old.
cesar_rc4
9/8/2018 8:21am
I have 4 sets of gear.
1 thor from 2014 i think and its good quality, maybe a bit heavy but its a low line.
1 fox 180 gear from 2015 that its nice and fit like a glove but the materials not very durable.
2 sets of fly, 1 fly f16 and one fly lite.
F16 fits good and very durable and lite the same but less heavier than f16.
I used the fly sets for more than 2 years and keep going.
I recomended fly but for me i like the look of alpinestar...but this is only my preference. I dont have the chance to try alpinestat stuff.

Sorry for my bad english, im from spain...
9/8/2018 8:25am
Hard to beat TLD, I also love the Fasthouse stuff which gets a lot of hate around here
Parks65
9/8/2018 8:57am
kb228 wrote:

Jt$ wrote:
I think you answered your own complaint here. I raced a 2009 Honda 450 and it was the worst bike I’ve ever raced professionally. I also...
JT is spot on-
Fly is anything but a budget line as it is today. I started wearing FLY back when it first came out and the stuff today is NOTHING like the old stuff. I would put my F2 Carbon Helmets up against any Shoei or Arai I ever had, they are super comfortable and great quality. As far as pants and jerseys go (or kits as you call them today) I have never blown out knee areas from my braces, they are super comfortable and they look great too.
cappelmans
9/8/2018 12:26pm
TLD, Fox, Alpinestars holds up great. Had a cheaper set of JT gear, fell apart quicker as expected by price difference.
mb60
9/8/2018 12:35pm
Hard to believe with inflation that you can still buy quality gear for under 150. I get the different lines but why pay 300 when you can get it so much cheaper. I just bought some closeout 2018 answer gear for 90 bucks.
TeamGreen
9/8/2018 1:18pm
TLD has made serious "durability" improvements to the pants and jerseys over the last few years.

I've been wearing TLD exclusively in Moto, Off-Road/Baja & Adventure since 2013. Over these last 5 years I've benefited from improvements in helmet design, new materials & technology and...yes...even style. In the recent Vital 450 shootout my helmet, pants, jersey & gloves totaled $426. That's also an "improvement"!

I love wearing this stuff.

Post a reply to: Best mx gear?

The Latest