Best knee brace?

Goondurance
Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 2:05am
Tld? Alpine stars? Möbius? Leatt?
|
Motofinne
7/24/2017 11:34am
Custom made Ortema, CTi, DonJoy are the best.

The best off the shelf braces are Pod k4/k8 in my opinion. I have tried them all. Asterisk, Alpinestars, Mobius, EVS etc.

Fitment is everything when it comes to knee protection. The Pod K4/K8(the material is different, otherwise they are identical) are the best fitting braces that are off the shelf for me.

Do you have lots of money or does your insurance cover the braces? Get custom made braces.
Goondurance
7/24/2017 12:17pm
Motofinne wrote:
Custom made Ortema, CTi, DonJoy are the best. The best off the shelf braces are Pod k4/k8 in my opinion. I have tried them all. Asterisk...

The best off the shelf braces are Pod k4/k8 in my opinion. I have tried them all. Asterisk, Alpinestars, Mobius, EVS etc.

Fitment is everything when it comes to knee protection. The Pod K4/K8(the material is different, otherwise they are identical) are the best fitting braces that are off the shelf for me.

Do you have lots of money or does your insurance cover the braces? Get custom made braces.
I don't have lots of money and I don't think my insurance will cover it.

Are the Leatt c frames trash? There's a sale on them and the möbius ones right now.

The Shop

Motofinne
7/24/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 1:17pm
Motofinne wrote:
Custom made Ortema, CTi, DonJoy are the best. The best off the shelf braces are Pod k4/k8 in my opinion. I have tried them all. Asterisk...

I don't have lots of money and I don't think my insurance will cover it. Are the Leatt c frames trash? There's a sale on them...

Are the Leatt c frames trash? There's a sale on them and the möbius ones right now.
Like i said, fitment is the most important thing. The Pod braces are the best for me but they might not fit you the best way.

You should go to you nearest dealers that have all these braces and try them out and decide what fits your leg/knee the best.

The one brace that i haven't tried of the "mainstream" ones is the Leatt c-frame brace. I don't buy into the engineering behind it and i have read lots of negative reviews of it.

Edit: Like crusty mentioned. You can get OTS Ortema or CTi braces too. My main point is that get what fits your leg/knee the best.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
7/24/2017 12:25pm
Ortema. Don't have to be custom made, their off the shelf models are really good too
sdjeff
7/24/2017 12:47pm
I wear Mobius. The quality is top notch and they are really comfortable and don't move or slide down. The only issues I have are they are REALLY hot during summer and pants can get snagged in the front hinge while riding.
Lunch_Box
7/24/2017 1:27pm
I had a set of Asterisk ultra cells and found them bulky and heavy. Replaced them with a set of Mobius this year and couldn't be happier. Fit me great and I really like the coverage they have. On top of that Mobius customer service is second to none.
dshaw45
7/24/2017 2:52pm
I had custom fitted CTI's after I had a knee injury from racing. The CTI's were comfortable and felt secure to me until i decided to try out the Mobius braces i currently wear. The Mobius feel far superior in protection and construction but they are not breathable at all. When mine wear out they will be replaced with another set of Mobius and i will never wear CTI again.
Helder
7/24/2017 2:59pm
For me Asterisks are the best OTS braces as I have small quads and with all the adjustments I can get them perfect although I think I'll get a set of custome CTI's next time I have had 2 knee reco's prior to going to the Asterisks using POD's and EVS braces.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
7/24/2017 3:35pm
I have never worn knee braces and I tried my Mobius braces this weekend for the first time. Very comfortable and I had no issue adjusting to having them on.
crc245
7/24/2017 3:45pm
+1 for the Pods, especially if you're on a budget...Went through multiple Asterisk braces (old style ones, not the newest version) and was extremely satisfied with their customer service, but the Pods have more off the shelf interchangeable parts and simply last longer, in my opinion. Before my next knee brace purchase I will definitely look into the Mobius braces as well, after strong feedback from friends.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
7/24/2017 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 7:10pm
Motofinne wrote:

I don't have lots of money and I don't think my insurance will cover it. Are the Leatt c frames trash? There's a sale on them...

Leatt C Frames are GREAT! I bought a set of the Leatt C Frames in the last 6 months due to a knee injury last fall. I absolutely love them. I tried many other brands of braces before buying the Leatt braces and I could never get comfortable. I felt like my legs were really wide and moving around all over the bike and I couldn't grip the bike with my legs. I'm able to grip so good with the C Frames I rubbed off part of my graphics on the shrouds and had to get new ones. I feel naked if I don't have them on when riding. I can't recommend them enough.

Also, I've had no issues with quality or clips breaking, or anything. Just make sure to follow the instructions on how to put them on the first time - don't just start strapping them on without reading the directions. They have a clip that if not strapped on correctly could break, but if you follow the instructions they won't break. I read the reviews before buying, but I have to say the people reviewing probably didn't read the instructions on how to properly strap them on. They just opened up the box and started putting them on.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/24/2017 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 7:17pm

You should check with your insurance company. You might be surprised.

Also, check with CTi (only custom I have experience with) about coverage. Since it behooves them to get as many policies to accept their product as possible, they are well versed in how to get them paid for. If there is a way, they know how to get it done.
TallonT911
7/24/2017 7:35pm
Lunch_Box wrote:
I had a set of Asterisk ultra cells and found them bulky and heavy. Replaced them with a set of Mobius this year and couldn't be...
I had a set of Asterisk ultra cells and found them bulky and heavy. Replaced them with a set of Mobius this year and couldn't be happier. Fit me great and I really like the coverage they have. On top of that Mobius customer service is second to none.
x2 on this, switched from asterisk and have also used evs webs and the mobius is by far my favorite of the braces ive tried
swtwtwtw
7/24/2017 7:40pm
What I like about my Mobius are, no slippage, they conformed to my legs and knees, the flexibility in the tib/fib and femur areas, and quick turnaround for repair (I broke the #3 strap area on one of my braces in a fifty mph get off with another racer, where my leg was caught in his rear wheel and I was drug to a stop), oh the repair was done no charge.
DP71
7/24/2017 7:47pm
i had cti's, and i like the mobius 100% more.
Rocket164
7/24/2017 7:51pm
I have worn Asterisks Cells, EVS Axis Pro, and now the Möbius X8. The möbius braces are so far and away superior I don't think it's a talking point. They are seriously in another league in comfort, support, durability, customer service, etc. My entire riding crew has made the switch and everyone agrees they are great braces.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
7/24/2017 8:30pm
Glad a lot of guys have had a great experience with Möbius as I have. Off the shelf, that's my pick. Lots a talk about fitment, but here is something to think about.

CTI has a custom brace made for your, formed to your leg which is awesome.

The CTI has straps that once you adjust, thats it unless you pull your pants down and re adjust which nobody does.

Ride one time and your braces will be loose.

The main advantage of the Möbius is the on the fly X brace can be adjusted through your pants.

Whats the point of a custom carbon fiber fitted CTI if you don't or can't adjust fitment on the fly?
7/25/2017 2:29am
Well just to add to the argument, I have torn ligaments in knee,s wearing both early Asterisk and original Pods,
broken my leg (Tub/ Fib) with CTI, and the last injury was a dislocated hip.

Last week at the shop i tried on the Mobius and they do feel great, best fitting yet.

FWIW Knee braces can reduce the amount of flexing of the knee, unfortunately if the knee doesn't twist something else will.
f052zy8002
7/25/2017 5:12am
After a grade 3 ACL tear, I went with a CTI custom brace and an OTS CTI for the uninjured knee...Insurance wouldn't cover the second custom because I didn't have an injury on that leg. \

Others have mentioned that you need to readjust the straps constantly, but I find that they only need to be adjusted once after a moto and then they are good for the day...I have the second version of the brace and they are extremely comfortable and light. super breathable too...Just be sure to get the second gen MX kit that comes with the larger knee cups and gear guards!

The OTS brace is almost identical except that the sub-shell is flexible instead of molded to your leg. The fit is just as good as the custom.

c0ncEpT
7/25/2017 5:23am
I have Mobius and I really like them.

They are super comfortable, fit great with the different pad options and offer a lot of impact protection as well. Customer service is some of the best in the industry. They have sent me replacement parts no charge because I didn't have the down time it takes to ship them to Cali and back during the racing season.

The only downside that I can think of is they are hot in the summer. I have never personally had a snagging problem while riding like others report.
ricko
7/25/2017 5:27am
I am trying to get CTI at the moment, called my insurance company, they said they were covered, got fitted for them, now they are trying to be a pain in the ass to get them approved. Tired of my old asterisks sliding down my legs.
f052zy8002
7/25/2017 5:32am
ricko wrote:
I am trying to get CTI at the moment, called my insurance company, they said they were covered, got fitted for them, now they are trying...
I am trying to get CTI at the moment, called my insurance company, they said they were covered, got fitted for them, now they are trying to be a pain in the ass to get them approved. Tired of my old asterisks sliding down my legs.
Call CTI - I had the same issue with the custom brace and the CTI rep had to write a letter of medical necessity and ultimately I had no co-pay or out of pocket expense for either....Just couldn't get the custom brace for my good knee!
phatfi20
7/25/2017 7:06am
Make sure the FIT works for YOU. It acts as an exoskeleton and must be tight and fit right. Make sure not to wear the straps too loose.
kxking
Fantasy
1235th
7/25/2017 9:04am
Ortho-flex

Post a reply to: Best knee brace?

The Latest