Best bike(s) for dual purpose?

Skidaddle
11/23/2016 2:36pm
Betas are great bikes. Lots of them here. Nobody really has any negatives to say.

The 300 RR 2 stroke might be my next scoot. And I have a way to maybe get one plated!
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
11/23/2016 2:39pm
I run this, but wish I had something a little more aggressive.

Johnny Depp
11/23/2016 2:47pm
ed921reyes wrote:
you work for beta?
No, but I own one and serve the red kool aid. It is an awesome bike and doesn't get mentioned too much, kind of like KTM in the 90's.

The Shop

ed921reyes
11/23/2016 2:54pm
oh ok. yeah i dont know about the betas dont know much about them. willing to check them out tho. hows the market for aftermarket parts? i like the fact that its red!!

anyone know why the ktm doesnt have a linkage and the husk does?
Johnny Depp
11/23/2016 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2016 3:06pm
Any aftermarket part you could desire is available straight from Beta USA. http://www.betausa.com/
You can have them installed for you at no cost with some credit for take off parts through their BYOB. (build your own bike/Beta program)

The KTM has stuck with the PDS no link system which they have steadily developed over the years. It is a bit lighter, less moving parts and less under hanging to get stuck on rocks etc. Some believe it is better for extreme off road. The Husky (or the KTM XC model) is the alternative for those that don't, or lean more towards MX. The Beta also has linkage.
colorado2day
11/23/2016 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2016 4:27pm
The Rock wrote:
What brand new bike would you buy if you wanted to have two sets of wheels one with universal tires for the street and a set...
What brand new bike would you buy if you wanted to have two sets of wheels one with universal tires for the street and a set of MX wheels for track? Very low mileage street application and 50 plus Senior class MX track application.

Follow up question but with a used bike.
If you wanted something trick and red a plated GasGas 300 would work

http://gasgas.com/us/news/696-gas-gas-ec-xc-the-phoenix-project-total-renew.html

Plugga
11/23/2016 5:14pm
Any aftermarket part you could desire is available straight from Beta USA. http://www.betausa.com/ You can have them installed for you at no cost with some credit...
Any aftermarket part you could desire is available straight from Beta USA. http://www.betausa.com/
You can have them installed for you at no cost with some credit for take off parts through their BYOB. (build your own bike/Beta program)

The KTM has stuck with the PDS no link system which they have steadily developed over the years. It is a bit lighter, less moving parts and less under hanging to get stuck on rocks etc. Some believe it is better for extreme off road. The Husky (or the KTM XC model) is the alternative for those that don't, or lean more towards MX. The Beta also has linkage.
Big x2 for the Beta's. I have one of the older RFS powered 450rr's. Basically an 07 KTM450EXC done right. Great go anywhere do anything machine. Even riding to work on occasional Fridays.

For the life of though I cant find white fork guards to suit. (Marzocchi Shivers)

Anyone know of any other bikes that have these forks?
BAMX
11/23/2016 5:14pm
The Rock wrote:
What brand new bike would you buy if you wanted to have two sets of wheels one with universal tires for the street and a set...
What brand new bike would you buy if you wanted to have two sets of wheels one with universal tires for the street and a set of MX wheels for track? Very low mileage street application and 50 plus Senior class MX track application.

Follow up question but with a used bike.
Katoomey wrote:
like what has been said before - KTM 500 EXC. You can't go wrong with this bike. end all be all. this bike re-wrote the rules...
like what has been said before - KTM 500 EXC. You can't go wrong with this bike. end all be all. this bike re-wrote the rules of what a dirtbike with a license plate can be.

why anyone would consider a 350 for this type of riding over the 500 doesn't make any sense to me unless you weigh 120 lbs and like to shift way more than you need to

what hasn't been said before - Beta 450RS. I have no experience piloting a Beta, although I can tell you they are well made, well equipped, and well received by journalists and owners alike.
I would go KTM for both performance and resale. I don't see any way that people will pay a bunch money for a used Beta but if you have ever looked at used 500EXC prices you get what I am saying.
ed921reyes
11/23/2016 5:19pm
so betas are knock off ktms??
Plugga
11/23/2016 5:25pm
ed921reyes wrote:
so betas are knock off ktms??
Up till 09 Beta used KTM's RFS engines. Apart from the engine everything else was Beta.

11/23/2016 5:38pm
Love my 2016 Beta 300rr.
Rugged/reliable electic start, super smooth trials like power, powervalve adjustable with hex on side case,well balanced, built tough. Comes from factory with brake switch, horn,directional switch, and a title that might surprise you. The motor is amazing offroad,thought about rekluse before I rode it but only stalled a few times...so much torque and lugability.
I only connect trails, if I wanted to ride even 20% street I would get the RS fourstroke which I might in a year. The two stroke is fun on city streets and back roads up to 50mph and short bursts to 65 with stock gears. Cons are seat takes 5 months to soften(should stand anyway) and forks work well but for really rocky riding at speed need some tuning but still not bad at all.
11/23/2016 5:56pm
I don't sell stuff unless it pisses me off, if it treats me well it gets to stay in family. So I don't care about resale,but I am sure it will hold its own like any plated 2 stroke. Picked up my Beta spec'd out with radiator,pipe,rotor guards,skid,hand guards,sicass directionals,etc... for less than a ktm and feel it is every bit as good, enough friends have them. They had to go out of state with bike for plates, I went to dmv from dealer. You could say the KTM has better forks but the Beta are not terrible(sachs), more tuners are familiar with WP. I ride lots of rocks and have not hit linkage. Another benefit that makes a huge difference is the expansion chamber is up out of the way a lot more too. I have not come close to hitting bottom of it.
Skidaddle
11/24/2016 2:31pm
ed921reyes wrote:
you work for beta?
No, but I own one and serve the red kool aid. It is an awesome bike and doesn't get mentioned too much, kind of like KTM...
No, but I own one and serve the red kool aid. It is an awesome bike and doesn't get mentioned too much, kind of like KTM in the 90's.

Betas are the new KTM. Everyone that has one is very pleased.

I see quite a few, especially since theyve been winning many enduro, desert and off road races.
Plus, they are a good looking motorcycle, any size or style.

Post a reply to: Best bike(s) for dual purpose?

The Latest