Best air cooled motor for conversion

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 11/17/2018 2:42am
What is the best air cooled motor from the past to stick into a current day chassis? I am thinking they would have to be lighter than a water cooled motor and would be perfect for a 15 to 20 minute moto weapon.
|
edgo897
3/22/2014 4:01am
I've seen a YZ490 motor in a modern YZ steel frame.
3/22/2014 4:56am
edgo897 wrote:
I've seen a YZ490 motor in a modern YZ steel frame.
Someone in Georgia stuffed a WR500 engine into a modern (05 gen) YZ250 chassis. Air cooled engines heat up faster then fade. Wouldn't do this on a 125 and maybe not a 250 depending on how you ride and where.
MR. X
3/22/2014 5:12am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 5:25am
What about the kdx 200 ,my buddy had a 84 i believe and that thing was so smooth and powerful. I think the exhaust came out of the cylinder at an angle too which might clear the down tube on a modern Al frame without a conversion.
Beast666
3/22/2014 5:24am
The biggest problem with sticking an air cooled 500 class motor in a modern chassis is:

1. The motor has a large crankshaft mass making the chassis want to stand up when leaned over with the throttle on (Gyro effect) just go and ride an old school big bore and you will see what I am talking about.

2. The air cooled big bores also had a lot of detonation issues with them. The modern pump fuels will make it just worse.

My choice would be a 81-82 Kawasaki KX250 if you are looking for power they ran more like 360cc than a 250. Or a KDX250 if you are looking for a wide easy to ride powerband.

The hardest part in this project is to going to be the expansion chamber will have to be custom fabed as well as the air boot will have to be custom made as the intake sits much lower than a 4 stroke intake.

The Shop

MR. X
3/22/2014 5:29am
Beast666 wrote:
The biggest problem with sticking an air cooled 500 class motor in a modern chassis is: 1. The motor has a large crankshaft mass making the...
The biggest problem with sticking an air cooled 500 class motor in a modern chassis is:

1. The motor has a large crankshaft mass making the chassis want to stand up when leaned over with the throttle on (Gyro effect) just go and ride an old school big bore and you will see what I am talking about.

2. The air cooled big bores also had a lot of detonation issues with them. The modern pump fuels will make it just worse.

My choice would be a 81-82 Kawasaki KX250 if you are looking for power they ran more like 360cc than a 250. Or a KDX250 if you are looking for a wide easy to ride powerband.

The hardest part in this project is to going to be the expansion chamber will have to be custom fabed as well as the air boot will have to be custom made as the intake sits much lower than a 4 stroke intake.
The technology that is available today as compared to the mid 80s could help with the detonation issue , there are some really trick coatings available .
SRP33
3/22/2014 5:32am
The Rock wrote:
What is the best air cooled motor from the past to stick into a current day chassis? I am thinking they would have to be lighter...
What is the best air cooled motor from the past to stick into a current day chassis? I am thinking they would have to be lighter than a water cooled motor and would be perfect for a 15 to 20 minute moto weapon.
PW 50
TeamGreen
3/22/2014 5:35am
I'm working on a 175-180 pound 125: 1980 CR125 Engine in a 2013 or 2014 CRF250R chassis.

I -LOVED- this motor and recently got to ride one ,again, they really do Shred with the usual mods and good reeds.

This is ANOTHER project that I'm blaming on Newmann! Hopefully it'll turn out just as "perfect" as the last project I blamed him for!
TeamGreen
3/22/2014 5:44am
Thinking one of these motors...maybe?

That's a Newmann "sourced" gas-tank that looks BETTER than new. Now I understand how people build these bikes & DON'T want to ride'em; so, I'll be running a different tank at the races.

Braaaaap!
Beast666
3/22/2014 5:50am
MR. X wrote:
The technology that is available today as compared to the mid 80s could help with the detonation issue , there are some really trick coatings available...
The technology that is available today as compared to the mid 80s could help with the detonation issue , there are some really trick coatings available .
The coatings will not help one single bit with detonation as detonation is caused by the fuel lighting off at a second location inside of the cylinder after the timed spark causing a collision between the 2 flame fronts. It is caused by the pressure on the squish band creating to much pressure making the fuel ignite on its own. The only way around it is raising the octane of the fuel or cutting down the squish band on the head or in some cases both. The problem with cutting the squish is you reduce compression of the engine. If you want to run the engine on pump fuel it may become so detuned that you end up with a slow or pipey big bore engine.

if you want a fun to ride air cooled 2 stroke in a modern chassis I would avoid the big bores. After all there was a reason why they died off. They were a handful to ride and less and less riders wanted to manhandle them around a track. When I raced the open class back in the 80's every time I had a chance to ride a 125 or 250 I jumped at the chance to go out and drag the grips through the turns and toss them around in the air. When my friends got back from ridding my 500's they would always be worn out and wonder how I raced that thing for 45+ minute motos.
TeamGreen
3/22/2014 6:08am
MR. X wrote:
The technology that is available today as compared to the mid 80s could help with the detonation issue , there are some really trick coatings available...
Beast666 wrote:
The coatings will not help one single bit with detonation as detonation is caused by the fuel lighting off at a second location inside of the...
The coatings will not help one single bit with detonation as detonation is caused by the fuel lighting off at a second location inside of the cylinder after the timed spark causing a collision between the 2 flame fronts. It is caused by the pressure on the squish band creating to much pressure making the fuel ignite on its own. The only way around it is raising the octane of the fuel or cutting down the squish band on the head or in some cases both. The problem with cutting the squish is you reduce compression of the engine. If you want to run the engine on pump fuel it may become so detuned that you end up with a slow or pipey big bore engine.

if you want a fun to ride air cooled 2 stroke in a modern chassis I would avoid the big bores. After all there was a reason why they died off. They were a handful to ride and less and less riders wanted to manhandle them around a track. When I raced the open class back in the 80's every time I had a chance to ride a 125 or 250 I jumped at the chance to go out and drag the grips through the turns and toss them around in the air. When my friends got back from ridding my 500's they would always be worn out and wonder how I raced that thing for 45+ minute motos.
With KIPS and a Rekluse, you can turn a later model 500 into a Wondeful Torque-making scooter.

My KX500s for BITD & Moto (late 90's thru 2004-5) were a blast to ride and more manageable than a lot of 450-4Ts I've ridden.
philG
3/22/2014 6:08am
84 RM500...... was an awesome engine just wasnt fashionable as everything was going water cooled , and it looked dated.

Still the best sounding 2 stroke i ever had.
wow123
3/22/2014 6:18am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 6:20am
philG wrote:
84 RM500...... was an awesome engine just wasnt fashionable as everything was going water cooled , and it looked dated. Still the best sounding 2 stroke...
84 RM500...... was an awesome engine just wasnt fashionable as everything was going water cooled , and it looked dated.

Along those lines

few years ago I had an 82 465 and put last gen "right side up" cr250 forks on it, rebuilt the shock and linkages.

Very good motor in an agile chassis, quite light too, was a blast to ride

Wonder what was the lightest production air cooled 500?
hillbilly
3/22/2014 6:19am
Cr480,

The yz490 pinged like hell when hot,but I believe it was a squish band problem, cutting the head would prolly solve it.

No way i want to ride any of those engines again,and I raced them all.

Once we went water and coated life just was so much better.
hellion
3/22/2014 6:20am
Rock, I had an ATK 406 that was really strong. It had some porting done and a dynoport pipe and it was just a nice smooth strong motor. The right side drive might be a problem. But if you're looking to be unique that would do it. You could even do the countershaft disc brake lol
3/22/2014 6:21am
How would a air cooled engine stand vs. a water cooled one in term of power ?
Isn't air cooled slightly less powerful/mod because of the heat issues ?

And something I always thought, but why not both water cooled then air cooled to bring less liquid on the bike?
downard254
3/22/2014 6:36am
As far as air cooled open motors, you'd be good with the '83 CR480 motor, or any of the later open RM's as those just weren't crazy powerful. I owned and raced an air cooled '81 RM 250 and I've gotta say that engine was electric smooth and had plenty of power everywhere.
3/22/2014 6:43am
Don't give me that gyro stuff. Of course it felt like that compared to 125-250 but to say an old school open bike won't settle into a turn better than a four stroke with its reciprocating mass (cam shafts) all higher than the heavy crank of open bikes of the past doesn't seem to make sense. Four strokes tend to fight being laid over in a turn when big bore two stroke like to stand up in a turn when throttle is applied. Thatsaid I would probably lean towards late model yz ~wr. They were produced the longest and parts availability would probably be easiest. Those motors can be real tractors and pull very decent RPM's making for very little shifting. I would love to ride a sub 200lb open bike on modern suspension. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM time to make some calls......
3/22/2014 7:09am
philG wrote:
84 RM500...... was an awesome engine just wasnt fashionable as everything was going water cooled , and it looked dated. Still the best sounding 2 stroke...

wow123 wrote:
Along those lines few years ago I had an 82 465 and put last gen "right side up" cr250 forks on it, rebuilt the shock and...
Along those lines

few years ago I had an 82 465 and put last gen "right side up" cr250 forks on it, rebuilt the shock and linkages.

not to be "that guy", but the '81 YZ was a 465 & the '82 was 490

get your years straight, dammitLaughing
/sarcasm
DaveB771
3/22/2014 7:35am
And the '82 RM was a 465.

You're welcome.
endurox
3/22/2014 7:48am
cable wrote:
490 maico Smile
ditto on the 490 motor. Also the Husky 390 motor is a close second IMO
3/22/2014 7:57am
DaveB771 wrote:
And the '82 RM was a 465.

You're welcome.
true dat. I was only thinking in YZ terms when the post i quoted only talked about RM - sorry, my badSmile
Katoomey
3/22/2014 7:59am
The Rock wrote:
What is the best air cooled motor from the past to stick into a current day chassis? I am thinking they would have to be lighter...
It isn't the engines that got heavy.

How much do you think 2 little radiators and a water pump impeller weigh? obviuosly the engine package gained some weight, but not as much as you want to believe.

It's the chassis that got heavy. Bigger frames tubes...bigger, thicker swing arms...bigger, thicker forks/springs...bigger, thicker triple clamps/steering stem...bigger, thicker shock...shock linkages...bigger axles, bigger swingarm bolt, bigger engine mounting hardware...more hardware in general...more plastic...hydraulic brakes.

all that stuff adds heft and small amounts of weight add up.

If you want a modern, lightweight, and fast open bike, here's the recipe...

. One Ktm 250 SX. One 300 SX big bore kit. One high compression cylinder head (S3 "stars" billet head). One taper bore carb. ...and a splash of race fuel. ( a large splash actually, like 50/50 or better)

properly tuned, that set-up is good for 55-57hp and will handle better than anything else you could possibly mangle together in your garage.
rcannon
3/22/2014 8:11am
Please dont use a yz 490. That woudl be a great way to urinate on a project you've spent dollars and time on. The yz 465 was great, as were the air cooled yz 250' of the time...but never the 490.

Even if you did make it run right (LOL) you still have a 4 speed transmission. The very last model did include a 5 speed, but dont let that confuse things. Just avoid IT at all costs.

The Yamaha "IT" engines were very good, too.
captmoto
3/22/2014 8:19am
I think all the air cooled motors will be too heavy. I have a 81 YZ465 and that motor must weigh 70 lbs. I have a 72 TS125 cylinder that weighs more than a 05 Cr250 cylinder. Probably twice as heavy. The transmissions are bigger and bulkier too.
As has been said, a 250 motor would probably be your best bet.
FWIW, my YZ465 motor is stock other than a pipe and it runs without pinging and overheating on Avgas. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard all the doom and gloom about Avgas but it's been 3 years on it now without a glitch.
My point is they can be made to run easily without modding the head. If it were to run pump gas their are plenty of vintage motor guys out there than can help you out. Eric Gorr is one of the most popular.
bullpen658
3/22/2014 8:22am
Why on god's green earth would anyone even want to ask this question? I've got one for you: I want to put a hamster wheel in a modern mx bike frame. What's the fastest breed of hamster to use?
The Rock
3/22/2014 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 1:47pm
Wonder what the weight difference is between a 490 Maico engine and a 250 KTM two stroke with radiators and coolant? Same question but '83 CR480 engine comparison this time. In a perfect world someone would make an one off finned 300cc KTM cylinder Those things are already light but can you imagine getting rid of water pump, radiator, hoses and fluid? All the weight would be very noticeable too given its location.

Team Green-I like what you're doing with the 125 but like the idea of a 250 KX even better....never had hardly any seat time on a 125 so it is 250s and up for this cowboy.

Regarding heating/wear versus water cooling again this would be a moto specific weapon...not for the desert or the trails. Just something that you put in practice and two twenty minute motos on...rinse....repeat.
BobbyM
3/22/2014 2:28pm
MR. X wrote:
Beast666 wrote:
The coatings will not help one single bit with detonation as detonation is caused by the fuel lighting off at a second location inside of the...

TeamGreen wrote:
With KIPS and a Rekluse, you can turn a later model 500 into a Wondeful Torque-making scooter. My KX500s for BITD & Moto (late 90's thru...
With KIPS and a Rekluse, you can turn a later model 500 into a Wondeful Torque-making scooter.

My KX500s for BITD & Moto (late 90's thru 2004-5) were a blast to ride and more manageable than a lot of 450-4Ts I've ridden.
Real men ride 500's....clamp it!
wow123
3/23/2014 6:11pm
philG wrote:

wow123 wrote:
Along those lines few years ago I had an 82 465 and put last gen "right side up" cr250 forks on it, rebuilt the shock and...
Along those lines

not to be "that guy", but the '81 YZ was a 465 & the '82 was 490

get your years straight, dammitLaughing
/sarcasm
Well you became "the other guy" :D

Yes was talking Suzukis

Post a reply to: Best air cooled motor for conversion

The Latest