Best Under-Jersey Protector

Related:
Create New Tag

12/16/2013 7:03 PM

I currently have a Thor sentinel chest protector but it doesn't fit very well with my atlas brace when I have it under my jersey. Anybody has some solid recommendation of an under-the-jersey chest protector that fits well with a neck brace? Definitely dont want a rockgarden as I have one and have worn it maybe twice since I bought it two years ago.

|

12/16/2013 7:14 PM

I have lots of different protectors, and the Troy lee has been my favorite. It's plenty protective, yet still light weight and not restrictive.

http://www.btosports.com/p/TLDBP7855HWLS

|

12/16/2013 7:19 PM

I'm in the same boat trying to find something that works under jersey with my leatt. Wondering about body armor and if that's a better option.

|

12/16/2013 7:28 PM

josh8811 wrote:

I have lots of different protectors, and the Troy lee has been my favorite. It's plenty protective, yet still light weight and not restrictive.

Josh the short sleeved version of that is definitely on my list of options..Heard nothing but good things about the Fox Proframe but I'm not sure how it would work under my jersey with my Atlas.

|

12/16/2013 7:32 PM

Whenever someone brings up this subject i post these pics of this deal Kenny wore, its a hybrid of a fox chest pro and an ortema back protector. Not sure if he is still wearing it or not, but i sure like the idea of having the backplate spine protection on it.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

12/16/2013 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2013 7:39 PM

Scottie that is exactly what I was thinking about. If I could get something like that and it works with my leatt I'm sold.

|

12/16/2013 7:42 PM

I remember seeing him wearing that a couple years ago and thinking it was something he was maybe testing out for Fox and that it would come out on the market but clearly it isn't going to.

|

12/16/2013 7:45 PM

I use a TLD air frame type thing... It's great for roost but I'm bitching out and just bought one of these, will let you guys know what it is like...

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/16/2013 7:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2013 7:58 PM

EVS makes good ones that work great with atlas and leatt.

|

12/16/2013 8:01 PM

Cmiller493 wrote:

I remember seeing him wearing that a couple years ago and thinking it was something he was maybe testing out for Fox and that it would come out on the market but clearly it isn't going to.

I was also hoping to see that come into production, so much potential. All these body suit types seems like you would suffocate. I know up here in the summer you wouldnt be caught dead in one. 110+....no thanks! blink

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

12/16/2013 8:10 PM

Yeah, a body suit isnt happening. I can see them more suitable for trail riders where you are susceptible to getting hit by trees but I dont think they are suited for motocross too well. I dont feel like dying of overheating at the ripe old age of 21 unsure

|

12/16/2013 8:31 PM

josh8811 wrote:

I wear this and it is great protection. I T-Boned a hay bale at Barona and hit hard and was amazed at how well it absorbed the impact. It should have been a whole body bruising and cracked ribs but I was only slightly hurt exactly on the impact points from where I hit the dirt/bike. I was very happy about that.

The downside? You do overheat a bit on hot days. It helps if you don't wear an undershirt under it but it rubs your nipples raw. Still I won't ride without it. Just make sure you hydrate properly.

|

12/16/2013 8:48 PM

For those of you that don't wear protective apparel due to heat, I would suggest evaporative cooling vests. For motos, I simply use a t-shirt underneath body armor to keep cool. Between motos, I just hit the hose to maintain evaporative cooling by soaking my jersey and under-shirt. On those 100 degree days, I'll do more laps than most because my first 5-10 laps are "air conditioned".

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Motorcycle Body Armor
Protective Gear Built for Progression.

SAFETY--> = SPEED

12/16/2013 8:52 PM

At least for the guy with the Leatt, maybe even for the Atlas, I really like my Leatt chest protector. There are removable plates front and back that come out for using the brace so it fits flat. Fly also has the same protector under their name.

|

12/16/2013 10:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2013 10:48 PM

Man up and run nothing...after a few 450 motos you will eat nails and shit anvils. Motivates me to try different lines not running any type of roost protection.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/16/2013 11:06 PM

You can try these http://evs-sports.com/store/product.php?productid=17670&cat=266&page=1 I loved how the prior versions worked, but I never wore a leatt or anything, so

|

Commander in Chief of team A.B.V.

12/17/2013 6:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2013 6:19 AM

josh8811 wrote:

Cmiller493 wrote:

Josh the short sleeved version of that is definitely on my list of options..Heard nothing but good things about the Fox Proframe but I'm not sure how it would work under my jersey with my Atlas.

Thee short sleeve version of that is nice, but is still a little hot and impossible to get off after motos. It will not fit with your Atlas brace either unfortunately. Other than that there are a lot of really good things about it, it would be great if TLD fit a zipper in somehow. Here's my review if you want a more info: http://www.ppsmoto.com/reviews/motocross-gear-tests/troy-lee-designs-shock-doctor-bp-7850-hot-weather-base-protective-vest-review/

|

12/17/2013 6:23 AM

Get the UFO Reactor2, it's awesome. Feels good, has special rooms for the leatt and you can barely see it when the jersey is over it

|

12/17/2013 6:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2014 9:23 AM

I use an Atlas Brace with the Axo Duo Roost Guard and it's not comfortable.

|

12/17/2013 6:36 AM

I'm like Cmiller on this, running the Thor Sentinel but with a Leatt. I always run the chest pro over jersey and tuck the back of the Leatt inside so the spine protector rests against my back like they recommend.

Planning on buying Leatts chest protector with removable pads so I can wear it under jersey yet still keep the braces spinal protector against my back and not resting on the protector itself...unless there is another option??

|

12/17/2013 7:43 AM

I was having the same problem with my Sentinel and my neck brace. If you're willing to make a quick mod, it makes a world of difference. I just took this [see picture below] plastic shoulder piece off. Once I got that plastic shoulder piece off you just have to run it through the sewing machine to reconnect the two pieces of foam together. Now I can wear it under my jersey and haven't had a problem with any neckbraces I've run as it is only that thin foam that runs over your shoulders. If you're interested, I can take some pics of mine when I get home and post them up. I've been running mine like that for probably 3 years.

|

12/17/2013 8:22 AM

Leatt Adventure Lite Chest Protector

I've been looking into getting one of these. You can wear them under your jersey and wear a neck brace (atlas, leatt or whatever) over the top.

The new ones have the more absorbent foam too!
|

12/17/2013 9:31 AM

shiftmx_22 wrote:

I was having the same problem with my Sentinel and my neck brace. If you're willing to make a quick mod, it makes a world of difference. I just took this [see picture below] plastic shoulder piece off. Once I got that plastic shoulder piece off you just have to run it through the sewing machine to reconnect the two pieces of foam together. Now I can wear it under my jersey and haven't had a problem with any neckbraces I've run as it is only that thin foam that runs over your shoulders. If you're interested, I can take some pics of mine when I get home and post them up. I've been running mine like that for probably 3 years.

That sounds like a nice fix, sure beats the price of a new one w00t

Did you need to mod the back plate at all? If you could post a pic that would be great

|

12/17/2013 10:42 AM

Ryan_Huddleston wrote: Leatt Adventure Lite Chest Protector

I've been looking into getting one of these. You can wear them under your jersey and wear a neck brace (atlas, leatt or whatever) over the top.

I have settled on this one after trying every option from a "custom" thing like Roczen to the body armor. It fits well over or under my jersey and my neck brace works with it no problem. I loved the protection of the body armor in the woods but it was definitely hot and I felt like it restricted movement a bit.

You might also look into the newest version Leatt has since it's a bit slimmer. One thing, the Leatt items I own seem to be great quality and last forever.

|

12/17/2013 1:13 PM

I have always been an over the jersey guy for the last 30 plus years, but recently purchased the new Leatt 5.5 Pro as an under-jersey protector. This thing fits like a glove and is not bulky under my jersey to make me look like the Michelin man. Protection is solid as with any Leatt product and provides great shoulder protection which is what I was looking for also. I'll try to get some pics next ride when i'm suited up so you can see the look.

|

12/17/2013 6:49 PM

Ryan_Huddleston wrote: Leatt Adventure Lite Chest Protector

I wear that one and really like it (use Leatt neck brace also)

|

12/18/2013 8:31 AM

MechEng wrote:

That sounds like a nice fix, sure beats the price of a new one w00t

Did you need to mod the back plate at all? If you could post a pic that would be great

Nope, you don't need to mod that back plate at all. Just take that shoulder plastic piece off, and do a little bit of sewing. I have virtually no sewing experience, but I sat down at my wife's sewing machine and it literally took 5 minutes. I too was about to drop $100 for a new one, but came up with this instead. Call me cheap, but that was $100 to spend elsewhere!

|

12/18/2013 9:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2013 9:09 AM

This is my favorite so far.. Dainese Performance Racing Jacket

Really comfortable and taken many falls and has held up. I like the back protection. It doesn't get hot in the summer either and wicks sweat away well.. I use it for moto and down hill mtb.

Here is a video overview..

|

12/18/2013 9:59 AM

BobPA wrote:

Man up and run nothing...after a few 450 motos you will eat nails and shit anvils. Motivates me to try different lines not running any type of roost protection.

I hope that post was made in jest. Makes absolutely no sense in today's MX world not to be running chest and spinal protection.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

12/18/2013 11:27 AM

Kinda hard to suggest something for atlas because of how far apart the back supports are. I wear a leatt brace and a leatt chest protector. It fits great with the brace and fits under my jersey fine. Another I personally want is the TLD cp5900, Eli Tomac wears one.

|