Best Made Gear

machine
Edited Date/Time 9/11/2014 3:39pm
I'm looking to get something new. Wanted to get some opinions on some other stuff I may have not tried. What different gear companies have gear that holds up and doesn't fall apart in a few rides. Seems like a lot of the stuff is made in China now and is crap. Below are the ones I usually buy with fairly good luck. I'm looking for best made, not necessarily best looking or the latest fad stuff....thanks.

Troy Lee
Moose Racing
Answer

Tried FOX and FLY in the past and didn't have good luck.

|
mark_swart
9/4/2014 7:04pm
The O'Neal Hardwear line takes a hell of a beating. I have stuff from '07 that I still wear to practice in and it is still presentable!
Skippie
9/4/2014 7:11pm
I've been running Shift faction gear for the past two years. I do mainly enduro riding and it has held up quite well. And I like that they have clean simple designs. You can't go wrong with TLD either. I'll probably get TLD next time I get gear.

The Shop

9/4/2014 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 7:15pm
I bought some 2013 Thor stuff on closeout at the beginning of summer. It is their Flux line.

I really liked it when I got it out and tried it on. Light weight and plenty of air flow. Fit was really good.

After a few washings threads started popping out everywhere in the pants and jersey. Then last week I stepped behind the truck to take a leak and noticed the ratchet buckle had come completely off the pants and was just hanging by the toothed strap. It also has two buttons and Velcro for closure so I was able to keep riding but I'm just not very happy about the ratchet falling off. I had worn it for less than 20 rides so I don't recommend it.
machine
9/4/2014 7:21pm
I bought some 2013 Thor stuff on closeout at the beginning of summer. It is their Flux line. I really liked it when I got it...
I bought some 2013 Thor stuff on closeout at the beginning of summer. It is their Flux line.

I really liked it when I got it out and tried it on. Light weight and plenty of air flow. Fit was really good.

After a few washings threads started popping out everywhere in the pants and jersey. Then last week I stepped behind the truck to take a leak and noticed the ratchet buckle had come completely off the pants and was just hanging by the toothed strap. It also has two buttons and Velcro for closure so I was able to keep riding but I'm just not very happy about the ratchet falling off. I had worn it for less than 20 rides so I don't recommend it.
I had the same luck with the Moose stuff I bought last time. I think these companies are outsourcing to China. This stuff costs too damn much to fall apart that quick. The other weak links on gear seem to be the inner knee pads. Some get holes from knee braces really quick. That happened with the FLY stuff I bought.
Titan1
9/4/2014 7:27pm
If you want gear that will hold up, look no further than Klim gear. That stuff is built for off-road and lasts forever.

I'm running their fully ventilated Mohave line and it is sweet. Their Dakar line is great if you don't ride in hot temps. All in the boot style pants, and they are roughly the same price as the top of the line gear from the more mainstream brands.

I really like it.
friday10
9/4/2014 7:28pm
mark_swart wrote:
The O'Neal Hardwear line takes a hell of a beating. I have stuff from '07 that I still wear to practice in and it is still...
The O'Neal Hardwear line takes a hell of a beating. I have stuff from '07 that I still wear to practice in and it is still presentable!
100% agree, but I don't always love the designs they have. My son likes to get some of the others companies flashy stuff, but it never holds up as well.
machine
9/4/2014 7:34pm
Titan1 wrote:
If you want gear that will hold up, look no further than Klim gear. That stuff is built for off-road and lasts forever. I'm running their...
If you want gear that will hold up, look no further than Klim gear. That stuff is built for off-road and lasts forever.

I'm running their fully ventilated Mohave line and it is sweet. Their Dakar line is great if you don't ride in hot temps. All in the boot style pants, and they are roughly the same price as the top of the line gear from the more mainstream brands.

I really like it.
I saw that, looks very plain jane but might be worth a look.
9/4/2014 7:37pm
I'd give MSR a shot, but just not the cheap line, I was impressed with the Max Air line, pre bent knees, lots of room for braces, plenty of ventilation, Durable threads.

mark_swart
9/4/2014 7:42pm
mark_swart wrote:
The O'Neal Hardwear line takes a hell of a beating. I have stuff from '07 that I still wear to practice in and it is still...
friday10 wrote:
100% agree, but I don't always love the designs they have. My son likes to get some of the others companies flashy stuff, but it never...
100% agree, but I don't always love the designs they have. My son likes to get some of the others companies flashy stuff, but it never holds up as well.
Yes some of their stuff has been a bit "out there." I was looking at their website the other day, the '15 stuff is out and they have gone with a cleaner look fortunately.
machine
9/4/2014 7:50pm
Anyone tried the JT stuff?
steve_97060
9/4/2014 7:55pm
I'd give MSR a shot, but just not the cheap line, I was impressed with the Max Air line, pre bent knees, lots of room for...
I'd give MSR a shot, but just not the cheap line, I was impressed with the Max Air line, pre bent knees, lots of room for braces, plenty of ventilation, Durable threads.

their max air and nxt stuff is very well made..
loftyair
9/4/2014 8:02pm
No luck here with TLD, went back to my '90's ocelot gear, has lasted 20 years!
EMA884mx
9/4/2014 8:04pm
mark_swart wrote:
friday10 wrote:
100% agree, but I don't always love the designs they have. My son likes to get some of the others companies flashy stuff, but it never...
mark_swart wrote:
Yes some of their stuff has been a bit "out there." I was looking at their website the other day, the '15 stuff is out and...
Yes some of their stuff has been a bit "out there." I was looking at their website the other day, the '15 stuff is out and they have gone with a cleaner look fortunately.
I agree with these guys completely. I have been riding with nothing but O'Neal Hardwear gear for the past 10 years and the stuff holds up very well. I know as well as everyone else that their designs are not as clean or attractive as the other larger brands but the gear is built to last and really is higher quality than most people give them credit for.
malachi177
9/4/2014 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 8:28pm
Crush wrote:
TLD
x2 (and Gaerne for boots!!)
josh8811
9/4/2014 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 9:01pm
Klim all the way.. Their pants are awesome!! They have a new line call "XC" that looks a little better but you lose the pocket.. Having a pocket to stuff a google rag in is da bomb!!

I ride dez and my gear gets hammered.. Finally I've aged to the point that I can chose function over appearance..

- The Dakar's are the most bomb proof.. I'd be amazed if you can kill a pair in a season..
- The Mojave's are awesome for hot weather.. They are a little less durable than the dakar, but still awesome.. I wear these 85+ degrees
- The New XC'c look good.. I looked at and felt a pair.. They are well made, just not pockets like the other two i mentioned.
bvm111
9/4/2014 8:55pm
Crush wrote:
TLD
malachi177 wrote:
X3 TLD

X2 gaerne boots.... Love my SG12's!!!!
Titan1
9/4/2014 9:04pm
Titan1 wrote:
If you want gear that will hold up, look no further than Klim gear. That stuff is built for off-road and lasts forever. I'm running their...

I really like it.
machine wrote:
I saw that, looks very plain jane but might be worth a look.
Their color ways aren't extreme or flashy...and that was what first attracted me to them. But their durability keeps me coming back.
Titan1
9/4/2014 9:08pm
josh8811 wrote:
Klim all the way.. Their pants are awesome!! They have a new line call "XC" that looks a little better but you lose the pocket.. Having...
Klim all the way.. Their pants are awesome!! They have a new line call "XC" that looks a little better but you lose the pocket.. Having a pocket to stuff a google rag in is da bomb!!

I ride dez and my gear gets hammered.. Finally I've aged to the point that I can chose function over appearance..

- The Dakar's are the most bomb proof.. I'd be amazed if you can kill a pair in a season..
- The Mojave's are awesome for hot weather.. They are a little less durable than the dakar, but still awesome.. I wear these 85+ degrees
- The New XC'c look good.. I looked at and felt a pair.. They are well made, just not pockets like the other two i mentioned.
I just saw an intro vid on the XC line...but I'm afraid no pockets is going to be a deal breaker. You don't know what you are missing until you've had the pocket. It may not be a big deal for a track guy (when the truck is only a couple hundred yards away), but a desert rat like myself, I'm not sure I can ever live without pockets again.

What desert series(s) are you racing? (Not to hijack the thread...)
josh8811
9/4/2014 9:16pm
USRA and others here and there, like IC100, and looking at some BITD..

I'll be at Wendover Sat, and Chimney Rock next month.. First race since IC100 for me this year.. Work, a 2yo baby, and injury has slowed me down the last few years.

Josh Moore
101V (O30A)
Silver tundra, silver trailer
KTM 450SX
Mickolobe7
9/4/2014 9:33pm
Crush wrote:
TLD
malachi177 wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
X3 TLD

X2 gaerne boots.... Love my SG12's!!!!
X4 TLD and SG12s.... The SG12 are broken in for you they are worth every penny would never buy any other boot!

I also like the Seven gear a lot fits good.
Titan1
9/4/2014 9:38pm
josh8811 wrote:
USRA and others here and there, like IC100, and looking at some BITD.. I'll be at Wendover Sat, and Chimney Rock next month.. First race since...
USRA and others here and there, like IC100, and looking at some BITD..

I'll be at Wendover Sat, and Chimney Rock next month.. First race since IC100 for me this year.. Work, a 2yo baby, and injury has slowed me down the last few years.

Josh Moore
101V (O30A)
Silver tundra, silver trailer
KTM 450SX
I will be at wendover Saturday and chimney rock (it's on the 20th of this month by the way). If you've got the time Yost the first weekend in October is a great race.

DJ Gardner
614v 30+ B
I will be with my buddy with a three place trailer (three Yamaha) behind a silver diesel VW hatchback.
Mtek
9/4/2014 10:01pm
TLD and Seven imo
9/5/2014 3:55am
i dont think the stuff is designed to last as long anymore, the leather knees seem to degrade pretty quick and hole with braces.. stitching fails
i'm back wearing 02 fox stuff found a couple of nr new bargins on ebay Smile i'd look for older stuff if you dont mind wearing out of date gear where someone's wore them once and given up

Post a reply to: Best Made Gear

The Latest