Best August national to attend?

McG194
Last year I included LL1 as part of my vacation. This year I am going back home to Michigan in August and am going to hit Dilla, Buds Creek or Ironman.

What does Vital say is the best to see. My first thought is Dilla because well...... Dilla but in reality it is a trip with my wife so being the best party track isn't nearly as high on the priority list. Plus it is the furthest out of the way/will add the most miles to my trip. Which place is the best for fan viewing and is the most comfortable ie. plenty of shade etc.?

Side note: If your wife asks you if there are any nationals close to where you are vacationing you married the right girl.
|
yz133rider
6/1/2021 7:07am
Budds is amazing for viewing. There are lots of trees for shade, but I still suggest bringing an umbrella for the sun if you want to walk around where there aren’t trees.
McG194
6/1/2021 7:12am
yz133rider wrote:
Budds is amazing for viewing. There are lots of trees for shade, but I still suggest bringing an umbrella for the sun if you want to...
Budds is amazing for viewing. There are lots of trees for shade, but I still suggest bringing an umbrella for the sun if you want to walk around where there aren’t trees.
That's honestly the way I'm leaning right now. I know the track has changed but I've always wanted to see just how far Doug Henry went off Henry Hill.
yz133rider
6/1/2021 7:16am
yz133rider wrote:
Budds is amazing for viewing. There are lots of trees for shade, but I still suggest bringing an umbrella for the sun if you want to...
McG194 wrote:
That's honestly the way I'm leaning right now. I know the track has changed but I've always wanted to see just how far Doug Henry went...
That's honestly the way I'm leaning right now. I know the track has changed but I've always wanted to see just how far Doug Henry went off Henry Hill.
You can roam around the whole track too. It’s awesome there. From a couple spots you can see 90+% of the track and actually follow the racing. Rather than at southwick you can watch one section and that’s it.

stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
6/1/2021 7:18am
Ironman is a great track but spectating is a little difficult. It's hard to see a lot from one location but there is plenty of shade.

The Shop

TheRookie
6/1/2021 7:19am
You can see almost the entire track from certain spots at Budds. Few shady spots as well but get there early. Also, Doug Henry went FAR.
yz133rider
6/1/2021 7:27am
I’ve walked budds on open practice days, and my god are those hills and off cambers STEEP.
JBecker 72
6/1/2021 7:37am
yz133rider wrote:
McG194 wrote:
That's honestly the way I'm leaning right now. I know the track has changed but I've always wanted to see just how far Doug Henry went...
Stand at the top and watch it on YouTube when you go. It’s insane to visualize that way.
Mayo513
6/1/2021 8:29am
Budds Creek Or Ironman. Ironman track is sweet and is about 30-40ish minutes outside Indianapolis.
Nellyinda803
Fantasy
362nd
6/1/2021 8:33am
yz133rider wrote:
I’ve walked budds on open practice days, and my god are those hills and off cambers STEEP.
I'm newly local and rode Budds my first time about a year ago. I swear TV does not do the steepness of hills justice. Pros are seriously mind boggling
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
6/1/2021 9:25am
We go to 'Dilla every year. Always have a great time. We just avoid 'The other side" .. we hear it sucks. BTW, the other side is always the side you're NOT on at the time
We stay in Utica and always cross paths with all the Teams out to dinner at their favorite steakhouse in town. It adds something even more special to the weekend..
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/1/2021 9:33am
With Ironman you pretty much have to pick which half of the track you want to see. A couple locations you can probably see 3/4 of it, but seeing them hit the Godzilla hill in person is nerve wracking. In 2014, the first year, it was a slopfest and Roczen was still trying to jump the downhill, barely clipping the top of the landing, then bouncing almost the whole way down the hill. Held my breath every time.
McG194
6/2/2021 7:00am
Talked with my wife about it last night and Budds it is. Watching some videos and listening to people the viewing seems best there and plenty of hotels within reasonable distance. The history really pulls me to Unadilla and if they were still racing in handlebar high grass that would be my choice.

My wife has a goal of hitting every National Park and we will be able to tick two more off the list on this trip Congaree in SC and Cuyahoga in OH.

Keep mama happy and go watch moto, works for me.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/2/2021 7:10am
McG194 wrote:
Talked with my wife about it last night and Budds it is. Watching some videos and listening to people the viewing seems best there and plenty...
Talked with my wife about it last night and Budds it is. Watching some videos and listening to people the viewing seems best there and plenty of hotels within reasonable distance. The history really pulls me to Unadilla and if they were still racing in handlebar high grass that would be my choice.

My wife has a goal of hitting every National Park and we will be able to tick two more off the list on this trip Congaree in SC and Cuyahoga in OH.

How many parks does she have checked off so far? I'm at 14, hoping to knock 2-3 more off this year.
TheRookie
6/2/2021 7:18am
McG194 wrote:
Talked with my wife about it last night and Budds it is. Watching some videos and listening to people the viewing seems best there and plenty...

Coming from the South, take 301 in and stay in La Plata, MD. A few spots there to stay there and you're pretty close to the track.
McG194
6/2/2021 7:33am
McG194 wrote:

davis224 wrote:
How many parks does she have checked off so far? I'm at 14, hoping to knock 2-3 more off this year.
After this trip it will be about 9 or 10. I only count parks that we have gone to as adults and actually remember instead of places I went to at 7 years old and don't remember. Next year we are taking about a month off and going to take a big swing through Utah and the rest of the Southwest except Cali. That will probably be a month off work.
Mr. Afterbar
6/2/2021 7:38am
Taking a 9 day vacation to hit Unadilla and Budd’s for the first time. Flying into Philly. Plan on hitting NY city and Washington DC as well while we are there. The viewing at Ironman isn’t that great, but if you like to move around and watch one spot for a bit, the track is amazing.
sandtrack315
6/2/2021 7:57am
Taking a 9 day vacation to hit Unadilla and Budd’s for the first time. Flying into Philly. Plan on hitting NY city and Washington DC as...
Taking a 9 day vacation to hit Unadilla and Budd’s for the first time. Flying into Philly. Plan on hitting NY city and Washington DC as well while we are there. The viewing at Ironman isn’t that great, but if you like to move around and watch one spot for a bit, the track is amazing.
Hit up Pizzeria Beddia!

I do the drive from Philly to Budds to ride, it's easy.
Mr. Afterbar
6/2/2021 7:59am
Hit up Pizzeria Beddia!

I do the drive from Philly to Budds to ride, it's easy.
Thanks for the tip! Writing it down now!
sandtrack315
6/2/2021 8:18am
Thanks for the tip! Writing it down now!
Yup, and cheesesteaks are not just a cliche Philly food, they are awesome. I like Sonny's in Old City. Nice part of town too.

You will love Budds Creek, you can see the entire track from most vantage points.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/5/2021 7:56am
McG194 wrote:

davis224 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
After this trip it will be about 9 or 10. I only count parks that we have gone to as adults and actually remember instead of...
After this trip it will be about 9 or 10. I only count parks that we have gone to as adults and actually remember instead of places I went to at 7 years old and don't remember. Next year we are taking about a month off and going to take a big swing through Utah and the rest of the Southwest except Cali. That will probably be a month off work.
I'm about to take a roadtrip in some time between jobs and visit Yellowstone and Tetons to make up for only seeing them as a 6 year old, and maybe a backpacking trip through the Wind River range. I'd love to hit all the Utah parks off season!

Post a reply to: Best August national to attend?

The Latest