Bernard Kerr: World Cup DH racer wants to race SX

500guy
12/23/2019 5:12am
Wonder what kind of shit storm on here it will be when they don't let him sign up for A-1
Mr. Afterbar
12/23/2019 5:34am
500guy wrote:
Wonder what kind of shit storm on here it will be when they don't let him sign up for A-1
Most rational people would agree with that decision. I've got more business on a SX track than this guy, which is also none.
APLMAN99
12/23/2019 9:06am
Motofinne wrote:
Matthes did a podcast with Bernard. Such a nice guy!
bergie11 wrote:
Another great interview by Matthes. Another opportunity to learn how he got a licence.Dont shoot the messenger comes to mind.
Can you summarize how someone who by nearly all accounts has never raced a SX/MX race was given a license to compete professionally?

APLMAN99
12/23/2019 9:11am
500guy wrote:
Something makes me think that that result is actually planned.

Already this "project" has generated buzz and I think that's the ultimate goal. Get Kawasaki involved so that there are even more eyes glued to a green bike, etc.

Unless he enters early, I'm leaning towards it being just a publicity stunt. If he's actually got his credentials, did his medical, etc then there'd be no reason to wait to sign up at the event other than to create video content.

The Shop

scootch
12/23/2019 9:30am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Can you summarize how someone who by nearly all accounts has never raced a SX/MX race was given a license to compete professionally?

FWYT
12/23/2019 9:34am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Something makes me think that that result is actually planned. Already this "project" has generated buzz and I think that's the ultimate goal. Get Kawasaki involved...
Something makes me think that that result is actually planned.

Already this "project" has generated buzz and I think that's the ultimate goal. Get Kawasaki involved so that there are even more eyes glued to a green bike, etc.

Unless he enters early, I'm leaning towards it being just a publicity stunt. If he's actually got his credentials, did his medical, etc then there'd be no reason to wait to sign up at the event other than to create video content.
Yup. Social media event!
LungButter
12/23/2019 12:25pm
scootch wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/23/393570/s1200_E712BE05_9C2A_4F46_A206_87D4535A4678.jpg[/img]

I don't think it's that, I think it's that it makes our sport look like a circus if any celebrity can just get a Pro license just because they don't live in the US.

Can I just sign up and go race F1? I've been driving a car for over 20 years I should be plenty qualified right?
APLMAN99
12/23/2019 12:34pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

scootch wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/23/393570/s1200_E712BE05_9C2A_4F46_A206_87D4535A4678.jpg[/img]

Sorry if you were abused as a child. That's a shame.

But you being abused doesn't answer the question of how someone who has never participated in either MX or SX is somehow granted a professional license to compete at the highest level.
wicksy85
Fantasy
1137th
12/23/2019 3:58pm
Good on him for having the balls to give it a crack, would be mad to turn down opportunity like this that's for sure.
CM_84
12/23/2019 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2019 4:34pm
scootch wrote:

LungButter wrote:
I don't think it's that, I think it's that it makes our sport look like a circus if any celebrity can just get a Pro license...
I don't think it's that, I think it's that it makes our sport look like a circus if any celebrity can just get a Pro license just because they don't live in the US.

Can I just sign up and go race F1? I've been driving a car for over 20 years I should be plenty qualified right?
In the early days of F1, yes you could just turn up and attempt to qualify.
Yes it’s different now, because F1 is on a totally different level than SX will ever be.

Let’s be real, this guy may or may not qualify, but he is clearly not just some hack that has got off the couch and trying to race within weeks of learning to ride a motorcycle.

I guarantee we will not be the worst rider attempting to qualify. I hope everyone else is as similarly outraged at everyone he is faster than.

IF he qualifies, it doesn’t make our sport look like a clown show, it just makes him look like a gnarly athlete.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
12/24/2019 7:18am
I am a fan.

Myke
Fantasy
2861st
12/24/2019 7:35am

12/24/2019 7:40am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2019 8:34am
I wish him all the best. These are the rules for acquiring a pro license. He’ll be subject to clause (e).

I would be very surprised if the AMA grants him a license. It’s one thing to look confident and skilled on a supercross track by yourself. It’s an entirely different thing to be on a track with others in a competitive setting. It takes years of racing experience to not be a danger to yourself or others.

Motocross License Criteria
a. License applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of application.
b. License applicants must provide proof of primary medical insurance.
c. License applicants must provide proof of completion of a valid ImPACT Concussion Management Test.
d. In addition to the above requirements, license applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
Page | 2
i. Held a Pro Motocross license (250 or 450 class) in 2017 or 2018;
ii. Held an FIM license in 2017, 2018 or 2019;
iii. Earn at least 60 AMA Pro-Am advancement points in a single class within the previous 18 months at the time of application; or
iv. Finish in the top 42 in either the Open Pro Sport or 250A classes in the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship Finals in 2018 or 2019.
e. AMA Pro Racing may issue a license to any rider who does not meet the above criteria if it determines, in its sole discretion, the rider has adequate competition experience. An Eligibility Application must be submitted and approved under this criterion.
loftyair
12/24/2019 8:43am
Although some are gifted or talented to go fast on a moto bike, the experience it takes to stay out of harm takes years. Even then, its not enough. He might rip, or be fast, but his experience is low. I hope he stays healthy.
peelout
12/24/2019 8:43am
he's got an on-off section and a triple. thats about 75% of the obstacles for a supercross track, he should be fine bro
DonM
12/24/2019 8:50am
I wish him all the best. These are the rules for acquiring a pro license. He’ll be subject to clause (e). I would be very surprised...
I wish him all the best. These are the rules for acquiring a pro license. He’ll be subject to clause (e).

I would be very surprised if the AMA grants him a license. It’s one thing to look confident and skilled on a supercross track by yourself. It’s an entirely different thing to be on a track with others in a competitive setting. It takes years of racing experience to not be a danger to yourself or others.

a. License applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of application.
c. License applicants must provide proof of completion of a valid ImPACT Concussion Management Test.
d. In addition to the above requirements, license applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
Page | 2
iii. Earn at least 60 AMA Pro-Am advancement points in a single class within the previous 18 months at the time of application; or
iv. Finish in the top 42 in either the Open Pro Sport or 250A classes in the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship Finals in 2018 or 2019.
e. AMA Pro Racing may issue a license to any rider who does not meet the above criteria if it determines, in its sole discretion, the rider has adequate competition experience. An Eligibility Application must be submitted and approved under this criterion.
Aren you sure he doesn't just need an FIM license?
motomike894
12/24/2019 9:21am
I wish him all the best. These are the rules for acquiring a pro license. He’ll be subject to clause (e). I would be very surprised...

Page | 2
That’s only for outdoor license not sx, outdoors is much easier to get a license
APLMAN99
12/24/2019 11:01am
Myke wrote:
I am a fan.

I’m a fan of him doing that as well, and he seems like a fantastic guy. I don’t think many people think he’s anything but a good dude, other than a few who believed that the “reality” show was more than a publicity setup.

Being a fan shouldn’t suspend common sense, though, when it comes to issuing a pro license in a sport that someone’s never actually competed in.

Seems like there would have been more than a couple of races over the last few months to compete in if this was a serious attempt. A good finish with some local SoCal pros could have validated the attempt, but a poor finish could have shown the opposite......
face biter
12/24/2019 11:24am

Page | 2
ii
FWYT
12/24/2019 11:50am
Has he actually entered yet? I don't see him on the entry list . . .
katooom
12/24/2019 8:14pm
Wow, it's like nobody on this site has ever watched c-practice. He'll ride around a bit, hit a few jumps, bypass the whoops most laps, fail to make the night show and be done. Big deal.
just James
12/25/2019 10:38am
katooom wrote:
Wow, it's like nobody on this site has ever watched c-practice. He'll ride around a bit, hit a few jumps, bypass the whoops most laps, fail...
Wow, it's like nobody on this site has ever watched c-practice. He'll ride around a bit, hit a few jumps, bypass the whoops most laps, fail to make the night show and be done. Big deal.
This dude knows of that which he speaks.
Then again, that scenario wouldn't leave the snifflers much to sniffle about.
APLMAN99
12/27/2019 7:56pm
His latest video makes it sound like he may not actually have that claimed ACU pro license.....

He references issues with both the AMA and ACU.

Makes me think even stronger that this was never really a serious attempt but rather a social media marketing campaign.
12/27/2019 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2019 9:08pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
His latest video makes it sound like he may not actually have that claimed ACU pro license..... He references issues with both the AMA and ACU...
His latest video makes it sound like he may not actually have that claimed ACU pro license.....

Makes me think even stronger that this was never really a serious attempt but rather a social media marketing campaign.
Interesting that this comes at the same time Maxis are making a push in the mx world.

What I find amazing is how fast he looks on a mx track, then he gets on the Sx track and he looks like a complete beginner rider.
APLMAN99
12/27/2019 9:10pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
His latest video makes it sound like he may not actually have that claimed ACU pro license..... He references issues with both the AMA and ACU...

689 wrote:
Interesting that this comes at the same time Maxis are making a push in the mx world. What I find amazing is how fast he looks...
Interesting that this comes at the same time Maxis are making a push in the mx world.

What I find amazing is how fast he looks on a mx track, then he gets on the Sx track and he looks like a complete beginner rider.
He’s likely done most of his practicing on tracks that resemble MX tracks more than SX tracks.

10,000 hours......
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
12/27/2019 10:34pm
Myke wrote:
I am a fan.

His style on a mountain bike looks like Barcia on a 450 Tongue
CM_84
12/27/2019 10:56pm
689 wrote:
Interesting that this comes at the same time Maxis are making a push in the mx world. What I find amazing is how fast he looks...

That’s what happens to all local pros, they look like they could hang with just about anyone, then on an SX track they look very average.
It speaks to how difficult SX tracks are, and how unbelievable the top pros are.
FWYT
12/27/2019 11:37pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

Yup. Something else that had caught my eye in that interview . . .

"How important is media presence for you when it comes to riders?

BK - Pretty big yeah, we will definitely look at that heavily. If there are two guys with the same results we would for sure go with the one with way bigger media presence....."

This thing just wreaks of pandering for likes and followers.
12/28/2019 2:47am
luckyguy19 wrote:
Maybe saying he has a lack of respect for the sport is a bit harsh. I do find it interesting that some of the pros are...
Maybe saying he has a lack of respect for the sport is a bit harsh. I do find it interesting that some of the pros are helping him out.
Probably because he is a cool dude and the pros are cool too!

Post a reply to: Bernard Kerr: World Cup DH racer wants to race SX

The Latest