Bernard Kerr: World Cup DH racer wants to race SX

just James
12/20/2019 7:28am
I find this experiment fascinating. I would bet that quite a few of the participants and spectators from his bicycling sport are following this story. Surely some of his colleagues are curious about this supercross thing, and maybe this will bring some new fans.
Do I think he will qualify? No, but it is cool that he is trying.
Natester551v
12/20/2019 7:39am
God there are some haters with a loser mentality on here. Hes got an FIM pro licence, not his fault that he got one. Hes got...
God there are some haters with a loser mentality on here.

Hes got an FIM pro licence, not his fault that he got one.

Hes got skills and and set of balls for trying this, who cares if he fails. He's bringing more exposure to our sport and showing how badass it is. Yeah by watching the videos he doesnt look the greatest, but still looks better than other guys i've seen in C practice before.
I sincerely hope the best for Bernard...he's a stud.

I do think it is very telling that as talented as Bernard obviously is, and with how methodical he's been (at least in all the vids I've watched) he still knocked himself out last week. I give him kudos for having the balls to try, but I simply do not see it ending well. He will not have time in first practice at A1 to work up to stuff...these kids will literally jump everything on the track on the first lap.

That's reality, not anyone criticizing Bernard's talent and will (which he obviously has boatloads of). I wouldn't be so worried about failing to make the night show, but the very real potential of life-changing injury. SX is a meat-grinder....

LOOnatic
12/20/2019 7:48am
just James wrote:
I find this experiment fascinating. I would bet that quite a few of the participants and spectators from his bicycling sport are following this story. Surely...
I find this experiment fascinating. I would bet that quite a few of the participants and spectators from his bicycling sport are following this story. Surely some of his colleagues are curious about this supercross thing, and maybe this will bring some new fans.
Do I think he will qualify? No, but it is cool that he is trying.
Oh it is.
The mtb forums have been abuzz with this endeavour for a while now.
Whether or not he qualifies it already got alot more non moto eyballs paying attention just to see what happens .
I dont care if someone's day job is a plumber or WC DH racer.
If he can make the cut it's all that matters.
Its a tall task for sure but i appreciate his zeal and dont feel he is dissing the sport.
Simply put if his attitude was all wrong then icons like MC wouldn't be helping him out with equipment and their time.
Question
12/20/2019 7:52am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2019 7:53am
God there are some haters with a loser mentality on here. Hes got an FIM pro licence, not his fault that he got one. Hes got...
God there are some haters with a loser mentality on here.

Hes got an FIM pro licence, not his fault that he got one.

Hes got skills and and set of balls for trying this, who cares if he fails. He's bringing more exposure to our sport and showing how badass it is. Yeah by watching the videos he doesnt look the greatest, but still looks better than other guys i've seen in C practice before.
I sincerely hope the best for Bernard...he's a stud. I do think it is very telling that as talented as Bernard obviously is, and with how...
I sincerely hope the best for Bernard...he's a stud.

I do think it is very telling that as talented as Bernard obviously is, and with how methodical he's been (at least in all the vids I've watched) he still knocked himself out last week. I give him kudos for having the balls to try, but I simply do not see it ending well. He will not have time in first practice at A1 to work up to stuff...these kids will literally jump everything on the track on the first lap.

That's reality, not anyone criticizing Bernard's talent and will (which he obviously has boatloads of). I wouldn't be so worried about failing to make the night show, but the very real potential of life-changing injury. SX is a meat-grinder....

I quite agree. I watched the video with McGrath and loved it. I also love to see a new talented new comer but the reality is it takes years to be safe on big jumps on a sx track. He has talent, could train more time then comes really ready. Right now I also keep my fingers crossed. Fortunately it is not the peaky and huge jumps with little landings like in the mid 90's to the early years of 2000, sx tracks are 5 times less technical (even the 2 main tracks builders in france said it, this trend is not just in the US), especially with the 4 stroke engines that don't bug or give huge hits on the take offs (but it is still very dangerous, and the fact that the tracks are now a bit faster makes the crashes also as bad if not worse).

The Shop

Motoxdoc
12/20/2019 8:09am
I haven’t read this thread, just the OP. My 2 cents is that this makes total sense to me...skiing is like motocross on your feet. Motocross is like any other sport; it’s very easy to learn but very hard to compete at the top level and/or make a living at it. However if you put in the hard work and have a little luck, it can be done. I don’t question a world cup downhiller’s work ethic, do you? After watching the documentary of Lindsey Vons final season, I would say she could give Eli and Kenny a run for their money!Huh
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/20/2019 8:24am
Motoxdoc wrote:
I haven’t read this thread, just the OP. My 2 cents is that this makes total sense to me...skiing is like motocross on your feet. Motocross...
I haven’t read this thread, just the OP. My 2 cents is that this makes total sense to me...skiing is like motocross on your feet. Motocross is like any other sport; it’s very easy to learn but very hard to compete at the top level and/or make a living at it. However if you put in the hard work and have a little luck, it can be done. I don’t question a world cup downhiller’s work ethic, do you? After watching the documentary of Lindsey Vons final season, I would say she could give Eli and Kenny a run for their money!Huh
I hope you read a little more careful in med school. He's a world cup downhill BICYCLE racer.

The easiest place to get new motorcyclist is from current bicyclist. It's crazy how against cross-over of participation or coverage some of you guys are.

If red bull isn't going to do straight rhythm anymore, they should do a 3 event deal where each guy competes in bicycle downhill and cross country and a motocross race. Combine scores for overall winner. Get men and women from each discipline to mix it up and cross polinate the fan base.
CG118
12/20/2019 9:01am
Interesting concept Early.
LungButter
12/20/2019 9:10am
I just find it unbelievable that we have kids who are being groomed by Factory Teams to be SX/MX racers from the age of 8 years old that have to go through a "qualifying program" to race SX.....yet this dude gets a free pass because he is famous and not a US resident and he has NEVER lined up for a motorcycle race at a high level (or any level?)

Unreal how messed up the high level of this sport is sometimes.

zehn
12/20/2019 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2019 3:18pm
Literally none of that matters with regards to his ability to qualify for A1 or obtain a pro license

EDIT: the post I was referencing was deleted
brapgod69
12/20/2019 2:01pm
I think it would be cool to see him qualify for the night show. BUT...after watching his latest YouTube video, I really don’t see it happening. We’ll see soon enough!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/20/2019 2:21pm
So just to get an idea for everyone that thinks there is no issue with this guy never really racing a dirt bike, especially at the pro level....

Are you all completely fine with any B or C rider from around the world with a shit ton of money just paying the right amount of money to get a pro license from another country, then trying to race SX?

Regardless of how fast he is or isn't, our up and coming kids that have raced their entire lives and made it through the A class at Loretta's are still subject to having to go through SX Futures before they can race SX. To me, that is the biggest issue with this whole entire situation.
Natester551v
12/20/2019 2:54pm
Bernard is definitely a rad dude. Us "haters" simply don't wish to see him carted off in an ambulance...
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/20/2019 3:03pm
I See absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's not like he got a ticket to the main, he still has to Qualify or try to.
He has a rad bike to try on that's for sure!
GODZILLA
12/20/2019 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2019 3:18pm
Bernard is definitely a rad dude. Us "haters" simply don't wish to see him carted off in an ambulance...
Yeah, most people who use the word "hater" all the time when anyone has reservations, disagrees or likes something/someone better seem clueless about what hate is.

"Downhill is for fags, the guy's a total POS and I hope he dies": THAT is what hate sounds like.
Not "I think he bit more than he can chew, I hope he won't get hurt" ...
Laughing
12/21/2019 2:47am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
So just to get an idea for everyone that thinks there is no issue with this guy never really racing a dirt bike, especially at the...
So just to get an idea for everyone that thinks there is no issue with this guy never really racing a dirt bike, especially at the pro level....

Are you all completely fine with any B or C rider from around the world with a shit ton of money just paying the right amount of money to get a pro license from another country, then trying to race SX?

Regardless of how fast he is or isn't, our up and coming kids that have raced their entire lives and made it through the A class at Loretta's are still subject to having to go through SX Futures before they can race SX. To me, that is the biggest issue with this whole entire situation.
I believe he has lined up in NZ in pro class motocross events, he has raced a fair bit over the years.

He had an FIM licence and has been deemed qualified, I dont beleive he has bought this with money or fame. You cant just go an buy a pro licence i other countries.

He looks better than other riders who have lined up in C qualifying for supercross.

The kids requiring supercross futures should be grateful to get a soft welcome to supercross, this dude isnt chasing a career just a one off race. Yeah there are probably exceptions with the young gun amatuers and this ruling but thats an AMA issue got nothing to do with this bloke.
zippytech
12/21/2019 7:19am
Don't the main question remain. How is he just getting a pro license?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/21/2019 8:00am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
So just to get an idea for everyone that thinks there is no issue with this guy never really racing a dirt bike, especially at the...

I believe he has lined up in NZ in pro class motocross events, he has raced a fair bit over the years. He had an FIM...
I believe he has lined up in NZ in pro class motocross events, he has raced a fair bit over the years.

He had an FIM licence and has been deemed qualified, I dont beleive he has bought this with money or fame. You cant just go an buy a pro licence i other countries.

He looks better than other riders who have lined up in C qualifying for supercross.

The kids requiring supercross futures should be grateful to get a soft welcome to supercross, this dude isnt chasing a career just a one off race. Yeah there are probably exceptions with the young gun amatuers and this ruling but thats an AMA issue got nothing to do with this bloke.
Not that I don’t believe you, but can anyone produce proof of results? In my bit of googling, I found absolutely zero results anywhere showing he’s ever raced professionally on a dirt bike.
tcallahan707
12/21/2019 8:58am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2019 9:00am
I fully understand the issue with the licensing loophole. What I don't understand is a bunch of haters saying he doesn't stand a chance. It feels more like a gatekeeping response. The egos around here are bruised by the thought of "an outsider" making it further than they ever will.

Bet most of you fools talking shit, with your racing experience and all, wouldn't huck a SX triple or practice skimming whoops and if you did, it wouldn't be nearly as clean.

Scarcity mentality on display and it's quite sad.

Rooting for Bernard even more now. Fuck the haters.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
zehn
12/21/2019 9:18am
"hur dur you haters wouldn't hit a SX triple or skim the whoops and he'll make it farther than you ever did"

That's such a juvenile response and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or the concerns expressed here
12/21/2019 9:34am
I fully understand the issue with the licensing loophole. What I don't understand is a bunch of haters saying he doesn't stand a chance. It feels...
I fully understand the issue with the licensing loophole. What I don't understand is a bunch of haters saying he doesn't stand a chance. It feels more like a gatekeeping response. The egos around here are bruised by the thought of "an outsider" making it further than they ever will.

Bet most of you fools talking shit, with your racing experience and all, wouldn't huck a SX triple or practice skimming whoops and if you did, it wouldn't be nearly as clean.

Scarcity mentality on display and it's quite sad.

Rooting for Bernard even more now. Fuck the haters.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Do you think that you can like someone yet acknowledge that they will likely fail at any given endeavor? If you think that this is impossible, I don’t know what to tell you.
BAMX
12/21/2019 9:38am
Don't get me wrong, I wish the guy the best but, there is a big difference between spinning laps on a practice track that you have time to get comfortable with and getting it done with a few short practice sessions. Hopefully, he doesn't force it and get hurt.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
12/21/2019 9:50am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

I believe he has lined up in NZ in pro class motocross events, he has raced a fair bit over the years. He had an FIM...

Can’t say I have ever heard of him racing down here (in nz). And he Very much doubt he would get a fim licence through motorcycling nz ,

If he can just rock up and get an fim world championship start permission with out racing ever before it makes our sport look pretty bad
CM_84
12/21/2019 10:49am
It makes me laugh, MC thinks it’s cool, Forkner is out helping him, Peick obviously thinks it’s cool, he has a bunch of sponsors helping him.....but the Vitards think he is disrespecting “our” sport
APLMAN99
12/21/2019 11:05am
zippytech wrote:
Don't the main question remain. How is he just getting a pro license?
That’s the big question to me. Any sanctioning body granting a pro license without a single race result should rethink their approach. It makes you wonder if some attorney somewhere could argue liability if he or someone else is injured if they certify him qualified outside of the normal criteria.

Hope that never occurs, but the criteria for a license should be there for a reason. Changing those criteria for a single person based on celebrity is a very slippery slope.

12/21/2019 12:10pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not that I don’t believe you, but can anyone produce proof of results? In my bit of googling, I found absolutely zero results anywhere showing he’s...
Not that I don’t believe you, but can anyone produce proof of results? In my bit of googling, I found absolutely zero results anywhere showing he’s ever raced professionally on a dirt bike.
I remember reading it somewhere, i'll try and find some proof.

Over in aus and nz there is a big difference between having a pro grade licence and racing professionally. Plenty of fast blokes race the pro classes but defiantly aren't professionals. Kind of like the guys over there who race rhe outdoors and struggle to qualify, except our field is no where near as deep.
12/21/2019 12:13pm
scott_nz wrote:
Can’t say I have ever heard of him racing down here (in nz). And he Very much doubt he would get a fim licence through motorcycling...
Can’t say I have ever heard of him racing down here (in nz). And he Very much doubt he would get a fim licence through motorcycling nz ,

If he can just rock up and get an fim world championship start permission with out racing ever before it makes our sport look pretty bad
To the average fan going and watching would they be able to tell though, there are plenty of guys that try to qualify for the nightshow that have no buisness being out there, best recent example waw ronnie ford.
zippytech
12/21/2019 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2019 12:18pm
Ok, so if I want to race a sx this year. Do I just sign up for the 450 pro class hand them entry fee and line up?
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
12/21/2019 12:52pm
To the average fan going and watching would they be able to tell though, there are plenty of guys that try to qualify for the nightshow...
To the average fan going and watching would they be able to tell though, there are plenty of guys that try to qualify for the nightshow that have no buisness being out there, best recent example waw ronnie ford.
I agree that their has been some shockers in the past , but they seem to trying to raise the standard with sx futures and it should be continued
Hammer 663s
12/21/2019 12:56pm
scootch wrote:
Looking pretty decent in the whoops after a couple weeks of practice :whistle: View this post on Instagram I think we are going in the right...
Looking pretty decent in the whoops after a couple weeks of practice Whistling

Not too bad. Needs more speed but that will come. Like most here, wish him well, hope he brings lots of new eyes to the sport, and hope he doesn't wad himself or anyone else up bad.

Hammer

Post a reply to: Bernard Kerr: World Cup DH racer wants to race SX

The Latest