Bernard Kerr: World Cup DH racer wants to race SX

Dropbear
12/12/2019 1:49pm
He can ride, but he’ll get cut up in a race. So different in the heat of battle. MTB’ers ride solo most of the races. DH or XC.
bayodome
Fantasy
4180th
12/12/2019 1:56pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
Hell, even if he were trying to qualify for and outdoor I think he'd have a very small chance. But SX, absolutely no chance. Someone should...
Hell, even if he were trying to qualify for and outdoor I think he'd have a very small chance. But SX, absolutely no chance.

Someone should ask Gwin how he would feel about Dungey racing a World Cup after a month of practice. Although I think Dungey would be humble enough not to even try.
Gwin pretty much did that himself. He raced pro in his first or second DH event and was immediately signed to a Yeti contract. So, I'd say he'd feel just fine about Dungey giving it a go too.
philG
12/12/2019 2:04pm
I very much doubt the ACU will grant him license to compete, if he was road racing he would have to go through a novice induction to even get on track, with MX he would have to get someone to sign off that he is of a good enough standard, and as the inference is that he hasnt actually raced , i cant see it happening. To get Clearance to race SX he would need a full international license and the insurance that goes with it ,and i dont see them signing off on that .

In fact , thinking about it , when i raced in the US, i had to take out an AMA Pro License, which the ACU validated, but as you cant hold a license for two FIM organisations at the same time i had to surrender mine, but still take out their Repatriation Insurance.. i say it cant happen.
bergie11
12/12/2019 2:45pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
He has a complete lack of respect for the sport, is not humble, and does not appear to be taking it seriously. If he was humble...
He has a complete lack of respect for the sport, is not humble, and does not appear to be taking it seriously. If he was humble and had respect, this whole charade wouldn't have ever started.

In the words of DV

Wake up Supercross
Eat Supercross
Shit Supercross
Fuck Supercross
Sleep Supercross
Wow. So much hate. It must really upset you luckyguy19 that Jeremy Mcgrath is lending him a bike and is there to advise him.

The Shop

luckyguy19
12/12/2019 2:52pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
He has a complete lack of respect for the sport, is not humble, and does not appear to be taking it seriously. If he was humble...
He has a complete lack of respect for the sport, is not humble, and does not appear to be taking it seriously. If he was humble and had respect, this whole charade wouldn't have ever started.

In the words of DV

Wake up Supercross
Eat Supercross
Shit Supercross
Fuck Supercross
Sleep Supercross
bergie11 wrote:
Wow. So much hate. It must really upset you luckyguy19 that Jeremy Mcgrath is lending him a bike and is there to advise him.

It's whatever, maybe Mcgrath knows something we don't.
Brian_Finn
12/12/2019 2:52pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I think the intention is cool, but it does make a mockery of the sport that he can get a licence and show up to ride...
I think the intention is cool, but it does make a mockery of the sport that he can get a licence and show up to ride C practice at A1. Meanwhile kids with low national numbers (Masterpool for example) have to go through SX Futures (as per DMXS this week with Wil Hahn).

Can Justin Brayton just show up at a UCI MTB World Cup and try to qualify? Right, didn't think so....
Bottom line is he'll either fail or not. One of the locals up here in the PNW is a local pro but ended up getting into the main. Yes he's trying to pay his dues, but, he just went paid the money and qualified. Not sure why that would disqualify this guy from it. Go for it.
APLMAN99
12/12/2019 3:08pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well, seems like the license process is flawed. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/12/390874/s1200_Screenshot_20191212_104936_Chrome.jpg[/img] View this post on Instagram #prAy1 ... just one minor feature to go 👀 #whoops #A1 A...
He's downplaying the things that need to happen for him to be able to enter the event just a bit...…

Has to have a license from his own federation, then an FIM World Championship license, complete the pre-test for the concussion protocol, enter 21 days in advance, etc.....

But it's a cool thought, I suppose, and there's nothing wrong with a little bit of sensationalism I guess.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
12/12/2019 3:25pm
It's not so much the lack of whoop speed/skill that has me worried, it's the lack of racing a motorcycle in traffic experience.
Dropbear
12/12/2019 3:37pm
davis224 wrote:
It's not so much the lack of whoop speed/skill that has me worried, it's the lack of racing a motorcycle in traffic experience.
I’ve tried a few text book MX passing manoeuvres on a MTB course that haven’t gone down well. 😀 one thing that silence does is let you know your competitors thoughts.
12/12/2019 3:44pm
davis224 wrote:
Dropbear wrote:
I’ve tried a few text book MX passing manoeuvres on a MTB course that haven’t gone down well. 😀 one thing that silence does is let...
I’ve tried a few text book MX passing manoeuvres on a MTB course that haven’t gone down well. 😀 one thing that silence does is let you know your competitors thoughts.
LaughingLaughing
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
12/12/2019 4:15pm
philG wrote:
I very much doubt the ACU will grant him license to compete, if he was road racing he would have to go through a novice induction...
I very much doubt the ACU will grant him license to compete, if he was road racing he would have to go through a novice induction to even get on track, with MX he would have to get someone to sign off that he is of a good enough standard, and as the inference is that he hasnt actually raced , i cant see it happening. To get Clearance to race SX he would need a full international license and the insurance that goes with it ,and i dont see them signing off on that .

In fact , thinking about it , when i raced in the US, i had to take out an AMA Pro License, which the ACU validated, but as you cant hold a license for two FIM organisations at the same time i had to surrender mine, but still take out their Repatriation Insurance.. i say it cant happen.
this is right, to compete on a ACU licence he would have to get a start permission, with insurance etc, cant see the ACU giving that to someone that has never competed,

surely the AMA has some hoops to get trhough to get an AMA pro licence, he would have to do a Futures round at least i would presume
bergie11
12/12/2019 4:18pm
davis224 wrote:
Dont forget he wants to make the nightshow. That means he`s looking for a clean lap in timed practice to make the top 40 riders . If that happens then he is on a gate racing in traffic. Bernard has raced plenty of outdoor races.On a scale of difficulty that is way down the list for him imo.

A1 will soon be here with so much hype and excitement this will be a tiny side story. Dont be worried.
shane509
12/12/2019 4:48pm
zippytech wrote:
Looks like he has a lot of work to do, that's for sure
Have you ever watched C practice at a Sx? The majority of those guys struggle just as much through the whoops... personally it surprised me how good he looked on a sx track
Jan C
12/12/2019 5:00pm
Most of us mtbers have such a huge love for mx/sx and seeing what he's trying to pull off in qualifying for the main would be incredible. He has so much support from the mtb world for what he's trying to do!

Heck even WP18 has offered to help him out-

Bernard uploaded his first ride video after collecting the McGrath loaner bike. Looks like he's getting comfortable

Crush
12/12/2019 5:02pm
Love this story, hope he does well and gets out safe.

I follow him on IG and am a MTB fan too so knew about it, surprised people would be bummed on it. I think it's cool!
JohnnyD13
12/12/2019 5:37pm
You dumb ass haters drive me crazy. Just enjoy the show boys. Someone is trying to get into the night show. He will be in the c practice not endangering anyone. I’d be surprised if everyone commenting on this negatively has never dreamed of giving it a shot. But there’s a lot more pussies on here, a motocross website, then I ever expected.
JohnnyD13
12/12/2019 5:41pm
Congratulations! I’m not coming back on vital till the supercross season starts.
ktmdan
12/12/2019 5:57pm
A Ryan Dungey is signed up for the pro class at a Mtb enduro in Austin, TX for this Saturday. Anxious to see how he does. It would be hard to believe that he could compete at the highest level of DH though.
agn5009
12/12/2019 5:58pm
philG wrote:
I very much doubt the ACU will grant him license to compete, if he was road racing he would have to go through a novice induction...

scott_nz wrote:
this is right, to compete on a ACU licence he would have to get a start permission, with insurance etc, cant see the ACU giving that...
this is right, to compete on a ACU licence he would have to get a start permission, with insurance etc, cant see the ACU giving that to someone that has never competed,

surely the AMA has some hoops to get trhough to get an AMA pro licence, he would have to do a Futures round at least i would presume
You'd be surprised what having money can do for you.
Hcallz5
12/12/2019 6:35pm
I follow him on IG as well, dude seems really cool, super talented as well. I'm thinking he is underestimating the speed and intensity by about a mile but it's cool that he's gonna give it a shot!
captmoto
12/12/2019 8:03pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
Why would he not be on his KX450 if this was a couple days ago?
Did you not click the link?
12/12/2019 11:40pm
zippytech wrote:
Looks like he has a lot of work to do, that's for sure
shane509 wrote:
Have you ever watched C practice at a Sx? The majority of those guys struggle just as much through the whoops... personally it surprised me how...
Have you ever watched C practice at a Sx? The majority of those guys struggle just as much through the whoops... personally it surprised me how good he looked on a sx track
Just ride around them like some do!
CM_84
12/13/2019 2:59am
If there was and SX/MX guy racing another discipline everyone would think its awesome.

It's not like he is being gifted a spot in the nightshow or main event.
It's simple, if he qualifies for the night show, he deserves to be there as much as anyone. If he doesn't he doesn't.

but if he get's out on the track and looks too sketch, officials should park him.
crowe176
12/13/2019 3:05am
I just hope he doesn’t get anyone else hurt.
Dropbear
12/13/2019 3:10am
davis224 wrote:
Dropbear wrote:
I’ve tried a few text book MX passing manoeuvres on a MTB course that haven’t gone down well. 😀 one thing that silence does is let...
LaughingLaughing
Yeah, apparently I was meant to yell “track”. Who knew? I just went for the block pass.
nealb129
12/13/2019 3:18am
i Hope he qualifies just to set this place off. “He has no respect for the sport,” “he wouldn’t qualify if they were riding two strokes”, “that was a one line track”, “it was muddy”, “had tomacs pants not fallen down”...
woodsgoon
12/13/2019 5:09am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2019 5:10am
woodsgoon wrote:
talent on 2 wheels is talent on 2 wheels. I do feel like it usually works better the other way around though....moto guys catch on to...
talent on 2 wheels is talent on 2 wheels. I do feel like it usually works better the other way around though....moto guys catch on to mtb better/faster than mtb guys catch onto moto. While alot of it is transferable its a lot easier to go from wrestling 230lbs to 30lbs than it is 30 to 230. It worked out good for Aaron gwin anyway..
Tuna wrote:
I find it’s the opposite. Tons of MTB guys I know are now riding. One of my buddies picked up a DRZ two seasons ago and...
I find it’s the opposite. Tons of MTB guys I know are now riding. One of my buddies picked up a DRZ two seasons ago and first week of riding I could not shake him in the woods. He is now beating everyone in the plus 40 Expert class for hare scramble.
there is also quite a bit more that transfers from mtb to harescrambles then there is from mtb to mx/sx not to mention we are talking about a 40 plus expert local harescramble level compared to lining up with 20 of the fittest and fastest sx racers in the world. Intensity is higher, stakes are higher, riders stay closer together, its just not the same. Not saying the dude cant do it. Its just not the same as youre talking about

Post a reply to: Bernard Kerr: World Cup DH racer wants to race SX

The Latest