Ben Townley interview

mccread
9/30/2015 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2015 10:10am
Always good to interview a legend like BT, and he had some interesting things to say!

Ben Townley interview
|
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
9/30/2015 3:43pm
Good read. Thanks for that.
wildbill
9/30/2015 7:10pm
Thanks Jonathan. I appreciate your new-found skills and you sharing here as opposed to stirring the lot of us up. Wink
Rotaholic
9/30/2015 7:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2015 7:27pm
Pretty amazing what he did on a borrowed bike with not much seat time and it's winter here.
Sandberm
9/30/2015 7:55pm
Wow!, 3 kids, building a house, job at HRC. Bens living well and is busy! Hats off to him.

He didnt hold back on that Josiah kid either. Nothing wrong with what he said...but he said it.Shocked

The Shop

mccread
10/1/2015 1:38am
Sandberm wrote:
Wow!, 3 kids, building a house, job at HRC. Bens living well and is busy! Hats off to him. He didnt hold back on that Josiah...
Wow!, 3 kids, building a house, job at HRC. Bens living well and is busy! Hats off to him.

He didnt hold back on that Josiah kid either. Nothing wrong with what he said...but he said it.Shocked
Yeah I had been pretty impressed with Josiah this year but I guess Ben is holding him to world champion standards and not regular standards. I wasn't expecting that answer at all but it shows what is required and expected to be at the top.

Thanks Wildbill!
10/1/2015 2:35am
Sandberm wrote:
Wow!, 3 kids, building a house, job at HRC. Bens living well and is busy! Hats off to him. He didnt hold back on that Josiah...

mccread wrote:
Yeah I had been pretty impressed with Josiah this year but I guess Ben is holding him to world champion standards and not regular standards. I...
Yeah I had been pretty impressed with Josiah this year but I guess Ben is holding him to world champion standards and not regular standards. I wasn't expecting that answer at all but it shows what is required and expected to be at the top.

Thanks Wildbill!
can always count on a straight up answer from ben! no bullshit. One of the nicest, most down to earth riders (or people for that matter) that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Was cool to have a few beers with him after he won his world title at ballykelly in 2004. Been a huge fan ever since- I was so happy for him this weekend! nobody deserves it more than he does, after so much bad luck throughout his career!!!

Crush
10/1/2015 3:33am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2015 5:24am
Was interesting listening to Matthes' comments after his mini-PC-pod with Townley...

He kinda took it as Ben had a bit of an attitude but for me it was just another time where an Aussie or Kiwi is just matter of fact and people take it as offensive.

Matthes asked about 05 Ernee, and he thought people kinda shocked people there, was it the track. Ben said there was nothing about that track and he was already a good rider... Well, to be fair, Townley was the 250 World Champ the year before, podiums the year before that and had been dicing with Everts all 2005 in the 450s before that race.

It reminded me so much of interviews with Reed and how these guys are just bullheaded in the extreme, they have a belief that they are the best and can do anything... Combine that with some Aussie/Kiwi bluntness and American journos can be easily offended.
themrtoad
10/1/2015 3:37am
Great interview with BT. One of my favourite riders and one of the toughest and nicest people I've met in the paddock.

His riding style really is state of the art. I don't know anything about his young protege, but if BT says so I believe there's a reason. BT, Rattray and Tanel Leok came at the same time from team Vangani and they are mentally tough as nails all three of them.

Regarding BT vs RC 2005 in Ernée I feel BT was riding cleaner and should have spent less energy. Still RC won because he just kept going like the Duracell-rabbit. Weird huh...? Makes you wonder...

10/1/2015 4:21am
Crush wrote:
Was interesting listening to Matthes' comments after his mini-PC-pod with Townley... He kinda took it as Ben had a bit of an attitude but for me...
Was interesting listening to Matthes' comments after his mini-PC-pod with Townley...

He kinda took it as Ben had a bit of an attitude but for me it was just another time where an Aussie or Kiwi is just matter of fact and people take it as offensive.

Matthes asked about 05 Ernee, and he thought people kinda shocked people there, was it the track. Ben said there was nothing about that track and he was already a good rider... Well, to be fair, Townley was the 250 World Champ the year before, podiums the year before that and had been dicing with Everts all 2005 in the 450s before that race.

It reminded me so much of interviews with Reed and how these guys are just bullheaded in the extreme, they have a belief that they are the best and can do anything... Combine that with some Aussie/Kiwi bluntness and American journos can be easily offended.
not many people can say they have battled with RC in his prime, everts in his prime, and RV in his prime. Townley had next level talent, such a shame his career was ruined with so many injuries.
10/1/2015 5:01am
That 05 season was a great one for Ben, still have it on dvd, such a great year with so many top riders (and that awesome Gore Basin circuit). Ben rode his heart out on that KTM. If memory serves me right from old interviews - he began to struggle when they switched to the newer engine halfway through the year. So in the end they just went back to what they had started with and then he began winning again. And then of course it all ended in that great 05 MXDN ride at Ernee. Also easy to forget that along with his World title, he also won a regional SX title in the U.S, 07 I think.

Great interview!
Flip109
10/1/2015 5:15am
not many people can say they have battled with RC in his prime, everts in his prime, and RV in his prime. Townley had next level...
not many people can say they have battled with RC in his prime, everts in his prime, and RV in his prime. Townley had next level talent, such a shame his career was ruined with so many injuries.
Truth! Always been a Townley fan. Would have liked to see him get a few more titles over the years but its good to know he's content. He had a great career.
10/1/2015 6:44am
Crush wrote:
Was interesting listening to Matthes' comments after his mini-PC-pod with Townley... He kinda took it as Ben had a bit of an attitude but for me...

No one was offended: they just thought he sounded cocky, which he did.

Sorry, but no one expected him to get second place as a part time, old guy. I really doubt he did himself no matter what he says. To act like "of course I should" just comes across as arrogant. I wouldn't characterize that as "matter of fact".

I think people - OK, Americans - didn't necessarily think of Ben as that cocky and were taken aback by those comments. But whatever...hell of a ride either way.
10/1/2015 7:08am
Also, for the record, I like 33 yo Reed but didn't always like 21 yo Reed for what that's worth. Maybe that makes me American.
Gringoe
10/1/2015 7:14am
Crush wrote:

Yeah I thought it wasn't as bad as matthes and jt$ were saying. Jt$ saying it serves you no purpose to not show humility...does he not remember one of his best friends named Chad Reed? Bit of hypocrisy from jt imo
Crush
10/1/2015 7:26am
No one was offended: they just thought he sounded cocky, which he did. Sorry, but no one expected him to get second place as a part...

Sorry, but no one expected him to get second place as a part time, old guy. I really doubt he did himself no matter what he says. To act like "of course I should" just comes across as arrogant. I wouldn't characterize that as "matter of fact".

I think people - OK, Americans - didn't necessarily think of Ben as that cocky and were taken aback by those comments. But whatever...hell of a ride either way.
That's the thing that makes these guys special though. They believe that they can do it... and let's be honest, he did and with such a small sample size, maybe 4 races, who's to say that he's not just that good and the first 3 Aussie races were just a warm up or whatever...

Because otherwise, you're right, why would you think a part time guy could just do it. For them, they think, give me the right set up, a start and a little bike fitness and I can run the pace.

I've only listened once, but the good rider part, BT was very accomplished in 05, a world champ and had been whaling on Everts all year–that was the only part of the interview to me that sounded abrupt if anything, but he was correct.
RG1
10/1/2015 8:18am
I love hearing/reading interviews with BT. He is always 100% honest and is never afraid to tell it like it is. His attitude and self-belief is second to none, and I think that is a huge part of what made him so good, along with the massive amount of talent he has
jeffro503
10/1/2015 9:12am
Ben may of sounded cocky in the interview with Matthis , but god damn , he backed up every word of it on the race weekend haha. It did surprise me he could run that pace and being away for two years , but I guess if you believe in yourself and train , anything is possible. Ben is a bad man!
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/1/2015 9:32am
Crush wrote:

No one was offended: they just thought he sounded cocky, which he did. Sorry, but no one expected him to get second place as a part...

he honeslty believed he could do that, and he thought he might be able to podium the USGP as well, although i dont think he knew the heat would take it out of him so much,

I think thats the difference between good guys, and guys that can win, the inner belief in themselves,
10/1/2015 9:41am
Crush wrote:

I became a Townley fan when i saw him dice it out with Everts. The moment he blew that KTM up, threw it to the side and walked off was just heart breaking. He could beat the Legend; but his machinery did not agree on that.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/1/2015 9:46am

Crush wrote:
That's the thing that makes these guys special though. They believe that they can do it... and let's be honest, he did and with such a...
That's the thing that makes these guys special though. They believe that they can do it... and let's be honest, he did and with such a small sample size, maybe 4 races, who's to say that he's not just that good and the first 3 Aussie races were just a warm up or whatever...

Because otherwise, you're right, why would you think a part time guy could just do it. For them, they think, give me the right set up, a start and a little bike fitness and I can run the pace.

I've only listened once, but the good rider part, BT was very accomplished in 05, a world champ and had been whaling on Everts all year–that was the only part of the interview to me that sounded abrupt if anything, but he was correct.
BT had won 3 GP's that year in MX1 and finished 3rd in the championship, I think Matthes was a bit off saying that ride in 05 was out of the blue,

scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/1/2015 9:48am
That 05 season was a great one for Ben, still have it on dvd, such a great year with so many top riders (and that awesome...
That 05 season was a great one for Ben, still have it on dvd, such a great year with so many top riders (and that awesome Gore Basin circuit). Ben rode his heart out on that KTM. If memory serves me right from old interviews - he began to struggle when they switched to the newer engine halfway through the year. So in the end they just went back to what they had started with and then he began winning again. And then of course it all ended in that great 05 MXDN ride at Ernee. Also easy to forget that along with his World title, he also won a regional SX title in the U.S, 07 I think.

Great interview!
they started on the new bike at the start of the season and he had a heap of DNF's, (I think 5 in a row at some of the pre season races), and ended up going back to the old bike for most of the season, he started winning races about half way though, I know he won on the isle of wight that year and think he won in italy as well,
Hanaa80
10/1/2015 10:11am
Crush wrote:

Perhaps Matthes should listen some of the DMXS shows Townley was on. It could help him understand Ben better.
10/1/2015 12:26pm
One thing about that article, I don't remember Townley winning a SX championship, only a regional championship.
ab5772
10/1/2015 2:13pm
Hanaa80 wrote:
Perhaps Matthes should listen some of the DMXS shows Townley was on. It could help him understand Ben better.
He could learn about Ben's love of "jit boat" racing Smile
Adam43
10/1/2015 2:57pm
Media needs to tell a story and craft a narrative, Townley coming out of the woods and getting 2nd is a good story.

But Ben knows what it takes, did the work, and got the job done. And he has always been a elite talent. It's not surprising he doesn't have the same perspective of the average fan media guy.
Crush
10/1/2015 5:10pm
No doubt he was matter of fact... But in 05 he beat Everts a bunch and was world 250 champ the year before... I'd say Everts could run with Carmichael at the time so it's not that much of a stretch that he should/could...

Fast forward a bunch of years and you have the same guy who thinks he can still do it and only isn't because of injuries–injury free and on a good bike with no pressure–and he does it.

Attitude hasn't changed. It's not that different to how Reed reacted after 2010 Daytona qualifying...

To be fair to you though Steve, Ben is also very short in some interviews–AB722 above said listen to him giving shit to the DMXS guys. Borderline dickhead/funny moments abound.
bob567
10/1/2015 5:23pm
Gentlemen the dudes retired and said he is not coming back. When was the last time a retired US rider was selected to the MXdN and took top 5's in both moto's? If I was Ben I would be making a mockery of the current level of dedication and commitment in the sport if I came out of a 2 year retirement and killed it like he did. I think he was way to kind.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
10/1/2015 8:26pm
Crush wrote:
No doubt he was matter of fact... But in 05 he beat Everts a bunch and was world 250 champ the year before... I'd say Everts...
No doubt he was matter of fact... But in 05 he beat Everts a bunch and was world 250 champ the year before... I'd say Everts could run with Carmichael at the time so it's not that much of a stretch that he should/could...

Fast forward a bunch of years and you have the same guy who thinks he can still do it and only isn't because of injuries–injury free and on a good bike with no pressure–and he does it.

Attitude hasn't changed. It's not that different to how Reed reacted after 2010 Daytona qualifying...

To be fair to you though Steve, Ben is also very short in some interviews–AB722 above said listen to him giving shit to the DMXS guys. Borderline dickhead/funny moments abound.
Weird, Ben had me cracking up when I interviewed him the other day. Whistling
Crush
10/1/2015 10:12pm
Rotaholic wrote:
If people have a hard time understanding what makes us kiwis tick, just watch the worlds fastest indian :-)

https://youtu.be/02Yy1vihIKs
Was a great movie. Hopkins is amazing.

Post a reply to: Ben Townley interview

The Latest