Below The Knee Amputation. Anyone?

mxj621
Fantasy
633rd
7/29/2015 12:06am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2015 3:16am
Hey guys,

Just wondering and trying to get more information and opinions on Below the Knee Amputation. I know a lot of people keep telling me not to do it and that should be last resort and everything, but unless your actually in my shoes or have had experience with this its hard for them to understand. I haven't walked in 14 months and just had my last surgery July 7th. I have had 5-7 surgeries on my foot and ankle in this time. I really wanted to start a GoFundMe account to help me with my bills, but so far I've been to proud I guess to ask for money and have been living off my savings. I am 25 years old and extremely active.

With that being said, my last surgery was complete fusion, as well as I believe 3 bone graphs. Basically my foot is to the point where they fused my forefoot as well so the only part that will ever move again is my toes. So learning to walk again, having custom made shoes, never running, jumping, riding, ect., will never happen again for me. So my question is since the prosthetics now days are so advanced in my situation where I will basically be handicapped is amputation something to consider, from people who have had it done? I have talked to my family, friends, some doctors and everyone is all about it except the doctors, which I understand why, but its easy to say oh my god don't do that when you can walk everyday and live your life to the fullest. Just asking some opinions. I have talked to a few people and it seems a lot of people, once you accept it live life almost normally and are happy, but its definitely something I have been researching heavily and trying to weigh my options. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!!
|
zedbike
7/29/2015 1:04am
A friend of mine lost both legs in a car accident as an 18 year old, he is now 50, I could pass on his email address (he is in Australia) if you like and you could chat with him about it
mxj621
Fantasy
633rd
7/29/2015 1:38am
zedbike wrote:
A friend of mine lost both legs in a car accident as an 18 year old, he is now 50, I could pass on his email...
A friend of mine lost both legs in a car accident as an 18 year old, he is now 50, I could pass on his email address (he is in Australia) if you like and you could chat with him about it
I would really appreciate it if you could pass me on his email I just really would like all the information possible, especially from people who have been through this before I decide.
mxj621
Fantasy
633rd
7/29/2015 1:39am
avidchimp wrote:
You need to get with touch of Chris (Ridge). He has been through what you have been and can steer you in the right direction.

http://racerxonline.com/2009/08/05/between-the-motos-chris-ridgway
Thank you also, I am trying to find his email address right now but I am not finding it anywhere if anyone knows how I can contact him I would greatly appreciate it! Unless I missed in that article?

The Shop

philG
7/29/2015 2:30am
I have a good friend who was in the same position, he went for it, never looked back. no pain, and still rides mx and mtb.
7/29/2015 3:59am
Try to adapt with your new physiology. Give it a year if there's no infection or ridiculous pain complications.

Below the knee with prosthetics these days aren't too bad. People can maintain very active lifestyles with them. Above the knee is a fair bit more difficult related to mobility.
7/29/2015 4:08am
Yea, that Ridge character, same boat. Talk is cheap, and I'm no doctor, but i'd do it and never look back.
huck
7/29/2015 5:38am
Great.... this means Chris will be posting his 'picture'.... I won't eat lunch today, just in case. Wink
tzmike
7/29/2015 5:47am
Just a thought here. JOSH DEMUTH.. Arenacross champ. No contact info for him but you may want to try FB, or hit up DC @ Racer X for possible contact info.. DC, I'm sure, has his hands full this week at the Ranch thou.. He lost his to infection I believe from a surgery gone bad.
4stroke4DWIN
7/29/2015 6:36am
My cousin went thru something similar with his leg a few yrs ago. He compounded his tub fib and it was a botched repair, bone fused back together but then died. After a yr of pain and not being able to walk he went and got another opinion only to find out the bone was dead and hollow. More surgeries loomed on the horizon and another halo, he told the Doc to fuck off and just cut it off. Fast forward and he's got 2 prosthetics one super high dollar and a cheaper he calls his "dirty leg" lol. Gets around just like anyone else. He told me that 8 months in a coma and the yr not walking was enough! He just wanted to get back to being normal. Good luck with your decision but I figured this would be good for thought.
cz2crf2wc
7/29/2015 6:38am
there's a saying about a man complaining that he had no shoes until he say a boy with no feet. Hang in there it could be worse.
ktm212
7/29/2015 6:48am
My buddy Max Gomez had a bad crash at a LL regional a few short years ago and had his lower leg amputated. He's worked with Harold Glissen who runs "Only One" inspirational who was born with half his arm. I suggest you give either of those guys a e-mail, call, facebook message. Max still absolutely shreds on a motocross bike and Harold is one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk to. They\ll be able to give you some insight, Max's Instagram is @amplife494 and Harold's website is www.onlyoneinspiration.com and both are on facebook.
IWreckALot
7/29/2015 7:13am
tzmike wrote:
Just a thought here. JOSH DEMUTH.. Arenacross champ. No contact info for him but you may want to try FB, or hit up DC @ Racer...
Just a thought here. JOSH DEMUTH.. Arenacross champ. No contact info for him but you may want to try FB, or hit up DC @ Racer X for possible contact info.. DC, I'm sure, has his hands full this week at the Ranch thou.. He lost his to infection I believe from a surgery gone bad.
He was at one of my local tracks when he originally broke the leg. . . He was so much fun to watch get around a track. It was one of those freak accidents that really prove that it's not always about the rider. Bike locked up and he went over the handle bars on a huge downhill triple.

Demuth is one of the classiest and cool guys to talk to also. I got to meet him at a local hare scramble race and he is very approachable. In one of the races we had, he hit a tree third gear pinned and broke some ribs. Don't worry though, he still got back up and put in another lap or two until his bike quit on him. He's a tough bastard.

MXJ, good luck with your decision. I don't know anything about what you're going through but sometimes a guy has to say enough is enough. Tough decision to make at 25 years old. . .
BobbyM
7/29/2015 8:07am
mxj621 wrote:
Hey guys, Just wondering and trying to get more information and opinions on Below the Knee Amputation. I know a lot of people keep telling me...
Hey guys,

Just wondering and trying to get more information and opinions on Below the Knee Amputation. I know a lot of people keep telling me not to do it and that should be last resort and everything, but unless your actually in my shoes or have had experience with this its hard for them to understand. I haven't walked in 14 months and just had my last surgery July 7th. I have had 5-7 surgeries on my foot and ankle in this time. I really wanted to start a GoFundMe account to help me with my bills, but so far I've been to proud I guess to ask for money and have been living off my savings. I am 25 years old and extremely active.

With that being said, my last surgery was complete fusion, as well as I believe 3 bone graphs. Basically my foot is to the point where they fused my forefoot as well so the only part that will ever move again is my toes. So learning to walk again, having custom made shoes, never running, jumping, riding, ect., will never happen again for me. So my question is since the prosthetics now days are so advanced in my situation where I will basically be handicapped is amputation something to consider, from people who have had it done? I have talked to my family, friends, some doctors and everyone is all about it except the doctors, which I understand why, but its easy to say oh my god don't do that when you can walk everyday and live your life to the fullest. Just asking some opinions. I have talked to a few people and it seems a lot of people, once you accept it live life almost normally and are happy, but its definitely something I have been researching heavily and trying to weigh my options. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!!
Real men get their amputations above the knee.
7/29/2015 8:08am
mxj621 wrote:
Hey guys, Just wondering and trying to get more information and opinions on Below the Knee Amputation. I know a lot of people keep telling me...
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!!
BobbyM wrote:
Real men get their amputations above the knee.
Post the one-legged KX500 video.
peelout
7/29/2015 8:25am
mxj621 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!!
man... your story sounds a lot like Ridge's.

i'd say do what will give you a better future, which in this case it sounds like amputation is the way to go. i rode 1400 miles through the Baja with Ridge last year and i'll be the first to tell you it hasn't slowed him down at all.

i sent you a pm with his email address, i know he'd be more than happy to talk to you and give you some advice. he's a hell of a guy and very involved with fellow amputee's.

good luck man, i can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you.

cheers
ridge
7/29/2015 8:30am
peelout wrote:
man... your story sounds a lot like Ridge's. i'd say do what will give you a better future, which in this case it sounds like amputation...
man... your story sounds a lot like Ridge's.

i'd say do what will give you a better future, which in this case it sounds like amputation is the way to go. i rode 1400 miles through the Baja with Ridge last year and i'll be the first to tell you it hasn't slowed him down at all.

i sent you a pm with his email address, i know he'd be more than happy to talk to you and give you some advice. he's a hell of a guy and very involved with fellow amputee's.

good luck man, i can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you.

cheers
Thanks for sending that to him! I think he got ahold of me through Facebook...

On a related note, I forwarded your email to one of my buddies who went to CABO and got robbed by a fat hooker. LMFAO.
500guy
7/29/2015 8:36am
I've got no advice, just want to wish you good luck on what ever you choose.
peelout
7/29/2015 8:36am
ridge wrote:
Thanks for sending that to him! I think he got ahold of me through Facebook... On a related note, I forwarded your email to one of...
Thanks for sending that to him! I think he got ahold of me through Facebook...

On a related note, I forwarded your email to one of my buddies who went to CABO and got robbed by a fat hooker. LMFAO.
hahahaha oh shit!

what email did you forward?
ridge
7/29/2015 8:40am
mxj621 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!!
Btw, as an amputee, you can run, ride, walk normal, get hot chicks (if you're into that), and basically do anything you want - as long as you have the right attitude. No special shoes needed.

When we talk in private, I'll tell you how I had to convince the doctors to amputate. In my opinion, it's retarded that the doctors can be satisfied with a non-working, painful foot.

There is a special procedure that kicks ass that I highly suggest you look in to, it's called the Ertle Procedure. Only have one of the Ertle family members do this type of amputation as they are the best.
ridge
7/29/2015 8:42am
peelout wrote:
hahahaha oh shit!

I only have one for you, but I copied your mom and dad in case you didn't get it.
BobbyM
7/29/2015 8:43am
mxj621 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!!
ridge wrote:
Btw, as an amputee, you can run, ride, walk normal, get hot chicks (if you're into that), and basically do anything you want - as long...
Btw, as an amputee, you can run, ride, walk normal, get hot chicks (if you're into that), and basically do anything you want - as long as you have the right attitude. No special shoes needed.

When we talk in private, I'll tell you how I had to convince the doctors to amputate. In my opinion, it's retarded that the doctors can be satisfied with a non-working, painful foot.

There is a special procedure that kicks ass that I highly suggest you look in to, it's called the Ertle Procedure. Only have one of the Ertle family members do this type of amputation as they are the best.
As good as amputations can be I suppose.
peelout
7/29/2015 8:48am
peelout wrote:
hahahaha oh shit!

ridge wrote:
I only have one for you, but I copied your mom and dad in case you didn't get it.
haha, fat hooker support group. i should be the president
ridge
7/29/2015 8:55am
huck wrote:
Great.... this means Chris will be posting his 'picture'.... I won't eat lunch today, just in case. Wink
I'll go easy on you...

mxj621
Fantasy
633rd
7/29/2015 9:33am
First thank you everyone for the positive feedback and the good luck wishes. I was able to get a hold of Chris which in my opinion he is a stand up guy that gave me his number to chat I will also contact the others that were mentioned with their email addresses. Thank you guys a lot I really appreciate it! I'll keep the board updated with my decision but I'll stay away from posting my pictures hahaha
7/29/2015 11:29am
Good luck bro. Wishing you all the best on whatever decision you make.
huck
7/29/2015 11:32am
huck wrote:
ridge wrote:
I'll go easy on you... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/29/99150/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
I'll go easy on you...

I don't know....those legs are bad enough... Smile
cz400az
7/30/2015 4:51pm
mxj621 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!!
I totally feel your pain...My journey began on October 23rd, 2010...I'll give you the Ciff Notes version...
Cased a 85' gapper, over the bars, shattered my tib/fib and ankle. Two surgeries between the 24th and Thanksgiving, started re hab, tons of pain, back to the hospital, plates shifting, screws stripping...not healing. April 1st 2011, total ankle fusion, took bone from my hip, hurt a bunch, another 5 months of wheelchairs, walkers and crutches. ....Fast forward to April 17th, 2015, I get really sick, ankle is on fire, admitted to the hospital, another ankle surgery, turns out a staph infection has invaded all the remaining hardware and bone. I get two options, another surgery to remove all the remaining metal, heavy IV antibiotic therapy, another week in the hospital, or...Amputate below the knee.
After alot of thought, and discussion with the ortho surgeon, I decided to try and keep my leg. After the procedure and another week of hospital drugs, I got to go home, but had a pic line threaded into my right bicep. Had to return to the hospital every eight hours so they could inject 2 grams of antibiotic, this lasted 6 weeks, returned to work at the end of May. I feel pretty great, my leg looks much better than before, even after 4 surgeries. It will always be fused, but I honestly think I have more flexion and movement after getting rid of all the metal. If you would have told me I would still be dealing with this almost five years down the road, I'd of thought you were nuts. But I still have my leg.
Oh, I'm 54, you are still a young man, but I probably would have made the same decision 30 years ago, but who knows...? The new prosthetics are pretty amazing, but to be honest, the thought of losing my leg scared me, alot. There were times during all of this that I just wanted to chop it off, go on SSI and give up, but I still want to ride and be active in motocross, I still have 4 Vintage and Evo bikes I love riding and working on.
I guess all I can say is to be really honest and realistic with yourself, either way, you are going to be good, although some days you may not think so.
God Bless Ya Bro, be STRONG. If you have any other questions or need some feedback, don't hesitate to ask.

Mark Smith #523
Cz400az@yahoo.com
ocscottie
7/30/2015 4:59pm
Have you looked into "phantom pain" If not, do so before you go hacking anything off. Even though im not an amputee (Spinal Cord Injury) I would not wish the phantom pains i get on ANYONE, and the amp friends i have talked to have the same problem.

Imagine submerging your foot in a pool of hot lava, it literally feels like the flesh is melting from my bones. PURE FUCKING HELL!!!! and it never goes away.
SigPig
7/30/2015 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 5:19pm
Shoot Derek Weida an email at AmpuD82@Gmail.com he is very helpful and willing to talk to people.

Says his leg was holding him back and his life got significantly better once he amputated it. (above the knee)

He has a pretty inspiring story. Check out his Facebook page or Google him.

Post a reply to: Below The Knee Amputation. Anyone?

The Latest