Bell Moto 9 Flex vs TLD SE4

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2019 6:05 PM

I have two SE4's and wasn't a big fan of the Bell but my eyes are kinda floating towards trying one out now. Has anyone here tried out both. I've heard the TLD has better air flow. Also anyone have any info on the safety of the SE4 and the Bell.

|

12/23/2019 6:41 PM

This will result in MANY opinions.

|

12/23/2019 6:43 PM

Buy what fits your head the best. I thought I wanted a top of the line Shoei or Arai until I tried them on and realized they did not fit my head. Bell and 6D fit perfectly. Try them all on and decide for yourself.

|

12/23/2019 6:51 PM

tough call.....both of those are great helmets that i personally use. SE4 is super light and great idea for safety with their use of additional foam. You hear more of the outside world with this helmet. The Bell keeps the sound out. The bell is easier for maintenance but a little heavier. Both fit securely or can be made to fit securely with proper pad sizing. Close call but i prefer the Bell by a tiny margin.

|

12/23/2019 7:00 PM

I loved my se4 . The bell moto 9 fit me a tad better. Try one on first, I think you'd be surprised!

|

12/23/2019 7:19 PM

I got a free Moto 9 Carbon Flex, and it is the most uncomfortable helmet I have ever worn. Everyone’s head has a different shape. Find the helmet that fits yours the best.

|

12/23/2019 8:43 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

I got a free Moto 9 Carbon Flex, and it is the most uncomfortable helmet I have ever worn. Everyone’s head has a different shape. Find the helmet that fits yours the best.

You’re in the minority on that one Bret. But then again, you are probably still a Shoei guy ?
I wear the Bell Moto 9 FLEX and have a few of the non flex helmets as well. Both fit my head great. The Shoei used to fit me great, but the last few models have changed shape an no longer fit my head shape.

|

12/24/2019 3:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2019 3:21 AM

quadzrulebro wrote:

langhammx wrote:

You’re in the minority on that one Bret. But then again, you are probably still a Shoei guy ?
I wear the Bell Moto 9 FLEX and have a few of the non flex helmets as well. Both fit my head great. The Shoei used to fit me great, but the last few models have changed shape an no longer fit my head shape.

Yup. They still fit me best. Worst part is, I have 2 of those high priced Bells hanging in my garage that I just can’t use. They put a pressure point in the center of my forehead. The Star street helmet is way worse than the Moto-9, though.
I haven’t tried a Fly Formula yet. Do all the helmets made by Topkey (Bell, Fly, TLD, Fox, etc) fit similarly, or are they all different?

|

12/24/2019 3:17 AM

|

12/24/2019 3:36 AM

Maybe off topic, but does anyone has the helmet fit problem with the Astars? I tried one last year but the fit was awful. Such a shame because they look great imo.

Bell flex fits fine. But one size bigger then 6D. TLD is a helmet that i havent tried yet.

|

12/24/2019 5:12 AM

I have both. The SE4 in large would "pinch" or put pressure on my forehead, kinda felt like a medium. The Bell moto 9 fit great in a large and what I mostly used this year until I got a Fly Formula, I have the medium cheek pads in the Formula and it fits snug but comfortable, by far the best feeling helmet I've ever had.

|

12/24/2019 9:53 AM

Cortami79 wrote:

Maybe off topic, but does anyone has the helmet fit problem with the Astars? I tried one last year but the fit was awful. Such a shame because they look great imo.

Bell flex fits fine. But one size bigger then 6D. TLD is a helmet that i havent tried yet.

Did you try adjusting the A-head system inside? I’ve fit probably 100 people to them and only a few just didn’t fit the helmet well.

|

12/24/2019 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2019 10:15 AM

Cortami79 wrote:

Not the only one. I am Alpinestars through and through and i was extremely happy when the revealed their helmet. I was about to buy one but then i got to try one and the fitment was horrible for me. Like really, really bad.

For some reason the M felt too big and the S too small. Kind of a bummer since i like the tech and the look of it. And i wear Astars boots and gear.

I guess that proves that no matter what helmet you're looking at buying, try it first. The tech doesn't matter if it doesn't fit your head.

|

12/24/2019 10:16 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Not the only one. I am Alpinestars through and through and i was extremely happy when the revealed their helmet. I was about to buy one but then i got to try one and the fitment was horrible for me. Like really, really bad.

For some reason the M felt too big and the S too small. Kind of a bummer since i like the tech and the look of it. And i wear Astars boots and gear.

I guess that proves that no matter what helmet you're looking at buying, try it first. The tech doesn't matter if it doesn't fit your head.

I have a buddy with the same issue. It fits him fine shape wise but he’s in between sizes. And I’ve have a few guys that didn’t know you could adjust them which is why I asked if he tried that. It’s solves most fit issues I’ve encountered.

|

12/24/2019 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2019 1:29 PM

Cortami79 wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Spooner wrote:

I have a buddy with the same issue. It fits him fine shape wise but he’s in between sizes. And I’ve have a few guys that didn’t know you could adjust them which is why I asked if he tried that. It’s solves most fit issues I’ve encountered.

I tried the helmet at an expo so i wasn't able to try the adjustment feature, i would have to do that someday! Although it was so far off that i would almost be shocked if it would solve the issue for me.

But a buddy has the SM-10 and he loves the fit of it!

|

12/24/2019 1:00 PM

It's no joke how important fit is. I love the TLD, but I can hardly even walk around the dealership's gear department with one on my head. I haven't tried a Bell in 10 years, but those were barely any better. I like the fit of my Arai and nothing else has been close for me.
Get one that fits before all else.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/24/2019 7:21 PM

Falcon wrote:

It's no joke how important fit is. I love the TLD, but I can hardly even walk around the dealership's gear department with one on my head. I haven't tried a Bell in 10 years, but those were barely any better. I like the fit of my Arai and nothing else has been close for me.

If it’s been 10 years since you tried a bell, try one now. I had the same issue with the moto 8, but the 9 flex fits absolutely perfect.

|

12/25/2019 7:14 AM

To the op. Long time (15+ years) shoei owner. I spent the better part of all last year trying new helmets as I don't like the new shoei design.

Se4: couldn't find the correct size. Large was too big, medium was crushing my brain. Xl could come off barely touching my cheeks. Did not like the headliner design. Super lightweight, I wanted to keep this helmet so bad, but just couldn't get a proper size around the crown of my head.
A stars sm10. Large was proper size, did not fit the shape of my head. Xl was too big. Nice light wright, I did NOT like the design of the a head system, headliner/plastic fitment on the forehead area and design of cheekpad system.
New shoei, fit great. Too heavy and I just didn't like the style.
Fly formula. Great fit with the XL. Light, awesome carbon fiber weave. I also wanted to keep this one, but I just could not get past the dopey visor design.
Bell Moto 9 carbon flex. Xl, perfect fit. Great features like magnetic cheek pads. Light, good padding, decent sound dampening. Never thought I'd go back to a bell due to the close chin guards. At the end of the day, it was the best fit and combo of features.

|

12/25/2019 7:20 AM

Cortami79 wrote:

Spooner wrote:

Did you try adjusting the A-head system inside? I’ve fit probably 100 people to them and only a few just didn’t fit the helmet well.

I tried it at the MXGP at Lommel. Maybe I can try it once in a shop or something. But it amazed me how bad it was with the price tag that comes with it

|

12/25/2019 7:35 AM

Falcon wrote:

mxbrian15 wrote:

If it’s been 10 years since you tried a bell, try one now. I had the same issue with the moto 8, but the 9 flex fits absolutely perfect.

I'll check one out. They will have had to change greatly to be comfy for me though. The last ones didn't feel like they came all the way down onto my head; it was like I was wearing a hat.
I had a Moto 4 in 1985 and loved that one though!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/26/2019 8:50 AM

quadzrulebro wrote:

Yup. They still fit me best. Worst part is, I have 2 of those high priced Bells hanging in my garage that I just can’t use. They put a pressure point in the center of my forehead. The Star street helmet is way worse than the Moto-9, though.
I haven’t tried a Fly Formula yet. Do all the helmets made by Topkey (Bell, Fly, TLD, Fox, etc) fit similarly, or are they all different?

Whats your source or info that Topkey produces for those brands you mentioned?

|

Amateur MX'er from Sweden. Currently I have a 2017 Yamaha YZ250, 1995 Honda CR500R, 1996 Honda CR250R, 1992 Honda CR250R and a 1989 Honda CR250R. I race the European EVO Championship, promote local MX races in Southern Sweden and run MXestore Europe (www.mxestore.com)

12/31/2019 3:25 PM

Cortami79 wrote:

I found it the same for me.. shattered as I wanted the Astars. The bell fit like a glove and very happy

|

12/31/2019 4:06 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

langhammx wrote:

quadzrulebro wrote:

What size are the Bells?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals