Being fast

jones618
Edited Date/Time 3/25/2022 6:58am
Something I've been thinking about. I know this may be random for this forum but I just wanna tell it to someone.

I use to think anyone could end up being a fast rider. Let's say atleast local pro level speed. Alot of people are right? But now I've come to believe that not everyone has the talent to go fast on a dirt bike.

I started riding at 14 yr old and never got past the local C class. I never put forth effort to get in better physical shape so that didn't help matters. I could only ride as much as my mother could afford me to ride. So once sometimes twice a week. I didn't start getting the speed to run up towards the front of the C class until I like 19 yrs old. I joined the military at 21 and picked up riding again at 23. I was somehow faster at 23 than I was before.

But I had a buddy at the track that had only been riding for 2 yrs and was winning local B class races. And even did well in some local pro classes. Only 2 yrs of riding! So maybe some people are just born with natural talent and that lack of fear they need to go fast.

But I was just sitting here thinking about it and sometimes I'm filled with regret and pity for myself that I was never really that good. The only C class race I won was because the fast guys weren't there that night. I thought I was faster than I really was. I wanted to be a part of that group of fast guys at the track ya know? I wanted my name to be known

I just watched a video of 250C limited moto at Spring a ding and thought dang those guys aren't that slow. You can tell it's C riders. But then I realized I couldn't even win a local C race. I'd get fuckin lapped at spring a ding at the amateur level! It's just insane how fast AMA pros really are

But my point is. Maybe some people just arent ever gonna be that good at motocross. It's the hardest sport in the world.
|
Titan1
3/22/2022 7:20pm
I agree…there is a “go fast” gene…not everyone has it or can develop it…then there is a “go really fast” gene and even less people have that…then there is “go faster than should be humanly possible” gene…and maybe 20 or 30 people have that gene…and they’ve made lots of money, and lots of people know their name…
NewOldSchool
3/22/2022 7:24pm
It has a lot to do with talent, work ethic and mental capabilities to handle pressure. I sucked at riding, was never better than local midpack C class and I rode frequently. A friend of mine same age as me was way more talented and had potential to be a solid B rider before getting hurt. We started at the same time and rode as much as one another he was just more naturally talented.

I absolutely love the sport though and obviously still keep up with it 24 years after I quit riding, I just suck at it. I was a lot better at playing golf and have a natural talent for it, it just came easy to me but I don’t love it. I can’t go spend hours at the range or play three days in a row I get bored with it. I guess I just love the wrong sport, oh well.
Juck
Fantasy
309th
3/22/2022 7:34pm
So did riders that weren't good as kids but turned pro later in their lives always have that talent and they just didn't tap into it until later or is it something else?

The Shop

chump6784
3/22/2022 7:41pm
My younger brother was faster than me on a dirtbike, could ride a bmx, scooter, rollerblades etc much better than me but I was much better at basketball, soccer, football than him. That sucked for me cos my passion was and still is to do with anything with wheels. Some people are just naturally gifted at certain things. Hard work can take you most of the way but to be elite or even pro at something takes a certain natural ability that can't be taught
Hammer 663s
3/22/2022 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2022 7:42pm
And fast runs in families. There are several here in the PNW - Huffman, Boespflug, Wharton, and a few more where Dad is a very fast Vet and the kid(s) are fast too! Is it genes, exposure, support, all of that?

I am not fast, and at 59 I never will be. My boy (15YO) is starting to get fast and it has nothing to do with me other than althletic genetics, exposure, and support. He's a good athlete and has ridden since he was 4. Plenty of seat time, always good equipment. But, I don't see him getting to the "go faster than humanly possible" level, and maybe not even deep into "go really fast" if it is gene influenced. And I sure as hell ain't mortgaging the farm to see if he can make it in a sport where only the elite make real money.

Good question OP.

Hammer 663s
Kyle978
3/22/2022 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2022 7:48pm
There’s not a “fast” person out there that isn’t an exceptional athlete, even if they don’t eat right or work out off the bike. There’s a dude on here that’s 300+ lbs and goes better than probably 95% of the people on this board - under there is a gifted athlete.

There’s the mental toughness, ability to process things coming at you quickly, ability to overcome fear or turn it off, etc. but at the end of the day, IMO some people don’t physically have what it takes to move a motorcycle around the way you need to go fast.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
3/22/2022 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2022 8:14pm
I play golf at least a hundred times a year and still cant get the ball to go where I want it to, lessons helped a little but I just dont have IT when it come to golf.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/22/2022 9:18pm
"Being fast" ? Here's what I can tell you about being fast,
3/22/2022 11:43pm
Eli talks about it being developed over years on the bike as a kid and getting technique down on 65-85’s.
JN137
Fantasy
486th
3/22/2022 11:45pm
There is an "ability" to go fast and also "willingness" to go fast. To make it in this sport, you need both!

Unfortunately, each on their own will only get you so far.
3/23/2022 1:00am
Nonsense! There isn't a magic Gene!

If there is such a thing, how would we know that who we think are the fastest riders in the world are actually the fastest riders in the world??

How do you know that unassuming guy who you walk past in the street today doesn't possess that 'Extra magic fast gene'?? He could be the most insanely fast man on a dirt bike ever witnessed..... but he's just never bothered to throw his leg over a dirt bike..

Its all in the schooling. Not physically on the bike, not necessarily in the gym, but in the mind. The mind has to learn resilience, strength, determination, doggedness and a willing to suffer. By virtue of these traits, the gym work will naturally happen and also the on bike work will naturally happen too.
Positivity- if a rider gets beat down he stops trying, its important to take a lesson from every fail and use that to push forward instead of fall back.

Learn some things- "Cant hurt me" by David Goggins- read it!
JMX82
3/23/2022 1:45am
I agree with OP. Some people are just naturally talented for riding dirt bikes and I admit that do not belong to that group myself.

I consider myself a pretty hard worker and I still can ride easily twenty minute moto's at steady pace. But no matter how many hours I had put on my riding and physical training, the best I could do was being in mid pack at local races.

Being forty years old now I can admit to myself that I will never get any faster. I have accepted the fact that I'm slow but I still love riding and rebuilding dirt bikes despite of that.

I know many talented guys that have incredible speed but are lacking the work ethic fitness wise to be great riders. It always makes me sad to see those guys wasting their talent that I never had myself
Lowlander
3/23/2022 2:02am
I believe the magic gene is the ability to learn and dedicate time appropriately. Not natural ability.

Most quick riders (I class myself as a decent rider) (Mid pack A). Most of us have the same processes going on. Such as looking at the track for the quickest line (not the easiest), work on technique a lot. Rarely do I spin laps for the sake of laps. Typically split my sessions to 1/3rd technique, 1/3rd moto hard and 1/3 playtime.

I structure my practice a lot too. Most of the quick riders (upto GP speed lads) that I have practiced with a very similar.

For me, I took up trials riding 18 months ago and I am up there with the top 10 riders in the club (150 members) who typically have spent there riding careers in trials.

Not one skill applies from moto. Everything in trials is the opposite of what you learn. But through structured practice and around 80 hours of riding I am getting reasonable on one. Now to get to the top 5 will take the same effort again, and the top 3 the same again. So realistically I am 5 years or so away from the highest level guys. Not willing to dedicate that amount of time for it, but I think top 5 is an achievable goal as long as I keep myself relatively healthy.
cwel11
3/23/2022 2:44am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2022 5:20pm
To the original question, some people are naturally talented on two wheels, balance and coordination are there so it’s easier for them. Others have to work harder at it. Seat time and being in shape drastically help this group. Most importantly no matter what speed you have, do you ENJOY riding? Kind of sounds like you don’t? I have no doubt I’ll continue to get slower as I age but I’ll still enjoy spending the day rolling jumps I don’t think twice about hucking now.
3/23/2022 3:14am
jones618 wrote:
Something I've been thinking about. I know this may be random for this forum but I just wanna tell it to someone. I use to think...
Something I've been thinking about. I know this may be random for this forum but I just wanna tell it to someone.

I use to think anyone could end up being a fast rider. Let's say atleast local pro level speed. Alot of people are right? But now I've come to believe that not everyone has the talent to go fast on a dirt bike.

I started riding at 14 yr old and never got past the local C class. I never put forth effort to get in better physical shape so that didn't help matters. I could only ride as much as my mother could afford me to ride. So once sometimes twice a week. I didn't start getting the speed to run up towards the front of the C class until I like 19 yrs old. I joined the military at 21 and picked up riding again at 23. I was somehow faster at 23 than I was before.

But I had a buddy at the track that had only been riding for 2 yrs and was winning local B class races. And even did well in some local pro classes. Only 2 yrs of riding! So maybe some people are just born with natural talent and that lack of fear they need to go fast.

But I was just sitting here thinking about it and sometimes I'm filled with regret and pity for myself that I was never really that good. The only C class race I won was because the fast guys weren't there that night. I thought I was faster than I really was. I wanted to be a part of that group of fast guys at the track ya know? I wanted my name to be known

I just watched a video of 250C limited moto at Spring a ding and thought dang those guys aren't that slow. You can tell it's C riders. But then I realized I couldn't even win a local C race. I'd get fuckin lapped at spring a ding at the amateur level! It's just insane how fast AMA pros really are

But my point is. Maybe some people just arent ever gonna be that good at motocross. It's the hardest sport in the world.
I spent 40 years as a mid pack C rider, nobody could ever accuse me of cherry picking.
motox11
3/23/2022 3:48am
It’s an interesting topic and my view is certainly anecdotal, but I do think most people can be local fast and make it to A class. I raced since I was 7. Never won a local race on a 50,65,85, only twice in the 125 class. Never won a C moto, won a few motos in B class, but now in local A class, I was able to earn my pro license and expect to be 1 or 2 every single time locally.

But what makes it so interesting is that there were guys that were in the C class when I raced in it that are still in the C class 15 years later.
TalinH112
3/23/2022 3:56am
Technique and training can help with overall speed but there is a ceiling people possess that sometimes cannot be breached. With that being said, riding fast is the least important thing when it comes to riding a dirt bike. Some of the funnest times I’ve ever had swinging a leg have been screwing around with my friends not the least bit concerned with who was in front. Enjoying the things you can’t get from any other sport like community, friendship, bench racing, time with your kids, that’s what keeps me involved with this sport and that’s what I love most.
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
3/23/2022 4:04am
Weirdly I was thinking about this the other day. I raced when I was a kid until around 20 then had a few years off before picking it up again late 20s. I never have understood how some kids are just fast from the get go, how is it a kid riding a 50 or 65 can whoop everyone locally week in week out when he/ she’s only been riding the same amount of time as all the other kids. I’m not talking training camp kids just normal kids that seem to be born with speed.

Then they progress in to winning every class they move up to, there has to be a genetic reason these kids are so fast. A combination of lack of fear, extremely good reaction times, and surely natural ability.

Sucks to not be one of these guys but the older I get the more I can appreciate just how talented these kids are (while secretly wishing I was one of them!)
3/23/2022 4:29am
I could always hold my own on a bike, 250 D or C class. I lost my mother at 21, who I was really close too. My 3 sisters and sons mother tried to get me to go get some counseling. But being born and raised in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania that was not an option for that part of the country. So I just started riding 4 to 5 times a week and vowed to do any obstacle that had previously intimated me. My speed doubled in the matter of the year. Sometimes you just gotta pin it. Fear and Motocross don't go well together. Sure I got hurt but in the end I was running with some of the fastest guys in Norcal. I really feel you have to disengage your head and stop over thinking things and go for it. Just my opinion. If your gonna do it just do it, what's the worse that could happen.
ATKpilot99
3/23/2022 4:40am
I think a person's mindset is the most important factor. John Dowd said when he started he saw the fast guys and he figured if they can go that fast so can I .
TalinH112
3/23/2022 4:48am
I could always hold my own on a bike, 250 D or C class. I lost my mother at 21, who I was really close too...
I could always hold my own on a bike, 250 D or C class. I lost my mother at 21, who I was really close too. My 3 sisters and sons mother tried to get me to go get some counseling. But being born and raised in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania that was not an option for that part of the country. So I just started riding 4 to 5 times a week and vowed to do any obstacle that had previously intimated me. My speed doubled in the matter of the year. Sometimes you just gotta pin it. Fear and Motocross don't go well together. Sure I got hurt but in the end I was running with some of the fastest guys in Norcal. I really feel you have to disengage your head and stop over thinking things and go for it. Just my opinion. If your gonna do it just do it, what's the worse that could happen.
Sorry to hear about your mother. My best friend lost his mom when we were kids and we rode a ton in the years that immediately followed. The guy is part cat cause he has ran through about 6 of his 9 lives 😂 but his mom has kept a good eye on him and seen him through.
FIREfish148
3/23/2022 5:19am
Your buddy that raced int. after two years must of had a lot of seat time that you didn’t get to witness. There’s no high stepping skill levels in motocross I’m pretty sure of it. Sometimes stuff clicks and you take a high step and then eat shit and get knocked back down but that’s not really something you want to be doing too much in moto unless you’re made of rubber. So maybe you were just playing it safe, which isn’t a bad thing.
Juck
Fantasy
309th
3/23/2022 5:31am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I think a person's mindset is the most important factor. John Dowd said when he started he saw the fast guys and he figured if they...
I think a person's mindset is the most important factor. John Dowd said when he started he saw the fast guys and he figured if they can go that fast so can I .
Where'd he say that?
ATKpilot99
3/23/2022 5:47am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2022 5:48am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I think a person's mindset is the most important factor. John Dowd said when he started he saw the fast guys and he figured if they...
Juck wrote:
Where'd he say that?
MXA interview if I remember correctly.
And I'm paraphrasing.
sandtrack315
3/23/2022 6:02am
What is interesting about motocross is there are thousands of people who have the genetic gift, but never touch a dirt bike. How many professional motocross racers are there? 1000? There are 113,000 professional soccer players. I don't think that many people even ride dirt bikes. If we had the numbers soccer had, Eli Tomac might not even have a factory ride.
3/23/2022 6:31am
Different people have different inherent skill, abilities, and mindsets. It's outside of Moto, but look at Alex Honnold. He was able to free solo El Capitan. One reason that he is able to do it is that his amygdala (part of the brain that controls fear response) doesn't respond the same way most people's respond. No matter how good a climber he was, if his amygdala response was "normal", he wouldn't be able to do all of the things he does.

Same with dopamine. Some people require more stimulation to get a dopamine response. This means they have to push themselves closer to the edge of disaster to get it. If you don't need high stimulation to get a dopamine response, you're not going to push as far.

Then there is fine motor skill, reaction time, spacial perception, memory, short vs long twitch muscles, sensory response, VO2 Max, etc. All of these things are going to affect how well you perform at any task. The best riders have the best combination of all of these things. Practice and training will get you closer to your maximum. But it won't get you to the level of someone else who is at their maximum and has a better set of traits than you.

A rider who is incredibly smooth may have better spacial awareness, reaction time and fine motor control than a rider with less finesse. But the second rider may have better muscle fiber ratio, VO2max, and less fear response. The different traits will affect how they approach going fast.

sandman768
3/23/2022 6:45am
Some people have it & some don’t… you can train, ride, have the best equipment ect. But if you don’t have “it” you will only get so good. The one”s who have “it” can hop a clapped out bike , after not riding for 2 years and ride like the wind. Like all sports now, it’s a huge advantage to start very young and have full support behind you. I had no problem moving from C to B then to A locally, but the jump from local A to Pro is huge….if you love to ride… study proper technique, take some lessons, get in the best shape you can and never give up on your dreams of “being fast” ….. remember “fast” is relative to who is at the track that day….
3/23/2022 6:56am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2022 11:52am
TalinH112 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your mother. My best friend lost his mom when we were kids and we rode a ton in the years that immediately...
Sorry to hear about your mother. My best friend lost his mom when we were kids and we rode a ton in the years that immediately followed. The guy is part cat cause he has ran through about 6 of his 9 lives 😂 but his mom has kept a good eye on him and seen him through.
Thank you buddy. Everybody has a way of dealing with things. I personally would rather deal with the physical pain that might come from riding over my head, than what I felt mentally inside after suddenly losing my mom. I was a momma's boy and riding helped me get over the loss of her more than any overpriced shrink could. Everyone has different ways of dealing with and getting over things.
McG194
3/23/2022 6:59am
jones618 wrote:
Something I've been thinking about. I know this may be random for this forum but I just wanna tell it to someone. I use to think...

I spent 40 years as a mid pack C rider, nobody could ever accuse me of cherry picking.
You may only be a mid pack C rider but the way I look at it is that when you consider the whole population you're a bad man. I think that way when I have a bad race. I may have been a 12th place guy today but how many 50 year old dudes can do what I can do? Not many.

I'm not "naturally talented" I have to ride a lot to feel good on the bike. I can be flowing great and take a month off and suck the next time I get on the bike. I had the size and was naturally talented enough as a football player that I had scholarship offers but even the lowest level privateer team wouldn't have given me a second glance.

Post a reply to: Being fast

The Latest