Been trying to figure out a way to describe some of the posts about James...

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:56am
...and I think I've got a handle on it. A lot of the posts sort of look like the Scooby-Doo Detective Agency meets Johnny Cochrane. You guys are scouring for in anything in what James or the team says that you can pounce on, or just plain fabricate stuff, and make enough of a smokescreen that you hope something sticks. Oh, and there's a boatload of attention-whoring going on in the posts. You know...the kind of stuff that you guys frequently accuse him of.

James has been very consistent in what he's said. He got tired. He didn't think it was safe to continue. Personally, I think he was sort of stuck. Sure, he wanted to get back to racing, and also wanted to get a shot at making Team USA. BUT...when the team was announced before the start of racing, it took away some motivation to lay it all on the line.

And you can practice all you want, but recreating the intensity, pace and roughness of a National is tough to do during training. And yes, Aldon was there. I'm sure they'll make adjustments, and be better at Southwick.

Personally, I think the team has been really consistent in what they said after the race, both in PRs and verbally. Matthes said the same.
|
swizcore
8/17/2010 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2010 9:47pm
I agree.

I also think a lot of the conjecture and theories which are presented stem from the general methods used by teams in the industry. Everything is a secret or a play on words, being just specific enough to leave wiggle room for an about face at a later date.

Now when a team really is honest and forth right with their decisions and actions, the general consensus is that something else must be at hand, as it usually is.

The secrecy, needlessly in some instances, in this sport create this vicious dichotomy with the fans who love it; more-so here than anywhere else.
jndmx
8/17/2010 9:44pm
I agree with both of you.
WhKnuckle
8/17/2010 10:00pm
In my opinion, lots of people were relieved when Stewart didn't win by 30 seconds - they don't like him and they're unable to disconnect their feelings about his lifestyle and from their admiration of the way he rides. I don't like flashy people, or people who are rich and want the world to know it, or people who don't think they have to follow the same rules as everyone else because they're better than everyone else; and I may be wrong about him, but that's how James comes across to me. But as a rider, the guy is amazing, and he IS special - in my opinion, absolutely unique, on a motorcycle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ride like him, and I've seen most of the greats from Joel Robert on. And he's tough - if he drops out of a moto, there's a reason, and in the second moto on Saturday he just looked exhausted. That's understandable, he's only been riding for a month or so.

What's funny is Andrew Short is the kind of guy I like, but nobody can objectively say he can ride like Stewart. There's no shame in that, nobody else can, either.

Whatever. The only reason there was any drama about it at all was that the L&M team, according to both Brooks and Stewart, understood that they'd get consideration for the Des Nations team if they did well at Unadilla and/or other rounds, and that wound up not being correct, and it appears that Decoster didn't want him on the team no matter how he did. It's Decoster's choice, but there wouldn't be any drama about it if he'd made sure Brooks and Stewart knew that two weeks ago.
jasonv43
8/17/2010 10:09pm
In the end I hope it all washes out.

Stewart races the rest of the nationals and improves and makes it even more interesting in the 450 class.

Stewart's drive is now greater than ever and more focused on next year for SX, MX, & the MXDN.

Team USA wins

And for the record Scooby-Doo is a much better detective than Johnny Cochrane.

The Shop

jasonv43
8/17/2010 10:10pm
And by the way who is the alternate(s) in case one of our 3 riders can't go?
race
8/17/2010 10:14pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
In my opinion, lots of people were relieved when Stewart didn't win by 30 seconds - they don't like him and they're unable to disconnect their...
In my opinion, lots of people were relieved when Stewart didn't win by 30 seconds - they don't like him and they're unable to disconnect their feelings about his lifestyle and from their admiration of the way he rides. I don't like flashy people, or people who are rich and want the world to know it, or people who don't think they have to follow the same rules as everyone else because they're better than everyone else; and I may be wrong about him, but that's how James comes across to me. But as a rider, the guy is amazing, and he IS special - in my opinion, absolutely unique, on a motorcycle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ride like him, and I've seen most of the greats from Joel Robert on. And he's tough - if he drops out of a moto, there's a reason, and in the second moto on Saturday he just looked exhausted. That's understandable, he's only been riding for a month or so.

What's funny is Andrew Short is the kind of guy I like, but nobody can objectively say he can ride like Stewart. There's no shame in that, nobody else can, either.

Whatever. The only reason there was any drama about it at all was that the L&M team, according to both Brooks and Stewart, understood that they'd get consideration for the Des Nations team if they did well at Unadilla and/or other rounds, and that wound up not being correct, and it appears that Decoster didn't want him on the team no matter how he did. It's Decoster's choice, but there wouldn't be any drama about it if he'd made sure Brooks and Stewart knew that two weeks ago.
DeCoster gave his reasons. In case you missed it:

1. Short gets good starts and rides consistent.

2. It will be on Short's home track and he understands the conditions there better than most. And the altitude there makes the conditions unique for the rider.

3. Honda understands the conditions there and always has their bikes running well there. And the altitude there makes the conditions unique for the bike.

Unsaid ... but surmised by many on here, is that DeCoster did not want the travelling circus of Bubba's entourage and film crew getting in the way of trying to win the MXDN.

This is a TEAM event, which means flat out warp speed is not necessarily as important as a fast but solid finish. Crashes can kill the entire team result.

jndmx
8/17/2010 10:16pm

NV825
Fantasy
2740th
8/17/2010 10:20pm
jndmx wrote:
[b]Whatever. The only reason there was any drama about it at all was that the L&M team, according to both Brooks and Stewart, understood that they'd...

The exact reason race just stated:

Unsaid ... but surmised by many on here, is that DeCoster did not want the travelling circus of Bubba's entourage and film crew getting in the way of trying to win the MXDN.

Decoster has a knack for making right choices...
Yaya
Fantasy
2551st
8/17/2010 10:23pm
Im glad he showed and raced, thats all I wanted. I'll admit Im not a big fan of James but I can't deny his ability on two wheels. Overall, Im satisfied on the return and on not sugar coating that he was tired straight after the first moto.
Grendel
8/17/2010 10:27pm
Stewart is extremely beneficial to this sport and he has never denied that his team is SX only. Getting him for a few races this summer, especially after such a long injury was a bonus that he didn't have to give (and probably shouldn't have) to the fans.

That being said, as consistent as the PRs may have been, they can't seem to shake the underlying selfish motivations of it all. It was a misstep but if he's up to riding the other Nationals, it'll probably not only give some justification if he does well but also make this fade away faster.

While I don't think he should be eligible to ride for the MXDN team, I think if his performance is up to snuff in the following weeks, he should be number one of the list of substitutes if an injury occurs.
FIREfish148
8/17/2010 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2010 11:53pm
Its not just vital though Guy. I was interested so I read the open letter on HIS site about what went down last weekend with 7, and some of the shit this one cat said in particular in the comment section following it made me want to hurl.
Something along the lines of "James your a quitter, and im glad that your representing me and my country because you have no heart at all."
Its sad how some people treat these dudes like they are in a circus act or something trying to entertain us.
For all the people talking shit:JAMES (AS WELL AS THESE OTHER GUYS) ARE RACING COMPLETELY AT THEIR OWN DISCRETION!!
It really makes you wonder how many of these hatefull clueless ass dudes who post bullshit about him have ever even rode a track, or jumped a 40 foot table for that matter.
8/18/2010 12:03am
WhKnuckle wrote:
In my opinion, lots of people were relieved when Stewart didn't win by 30 seconds - they don't like him and they're unable to disconnect their...

race wrote:
DeCoster gave his reasons. In case you missed it: 1. Short gets good starts and rides consistent. 2. It will be on Short's home track and...

2. It will be on Short's home track and he understands the conditions there better than most. And the altitude there makes the conditions unique for the rider.

3. Honda understands the conditions there and always has their bikes running well there. And the altitude there makes the conditions unique for the bike.

This is a TEAM event, which means flat out warp speed is not necessarily as important as a fast but solid finish. Crashes can kill the entire team result.

winner winner chicken dinner
FARANG
8/18/2010 12:07am
If I was RDC I wouldn't want to be dealing with the distractions that Stewart brings either. Seeing his performance in the second moto probably just convinced him that the correct decision had been made. He doesn't need someone throwing a tantrum if something doesn't go his way at the event.

Seeing as it was "all about the fans and sponsors" last week I'm not so sure why Stewie got so upset because his main reason for being there was still the same. Unless...

Just_Wishing
8/18/2010 3:14am
What consistency? In the press release he said he was returning for the fans, team, and sponsors. But then he said he was returning for a shot at the Des Nations. I'm pretty sure it was all the above but once the des Nations team was announced he pretty much lost all motivation. I bet if he still had a shot at the Des Nations he would've finished that second moto, exhausted or not.

James Stewart doesn't care about anyone but himself. I used to really admire him in his am days and when he first turned pro. The last few years have really shown his true colors though and I'm pretty much disgusted with him these days. He could've done a lot more with the talent he had, instead he wasted it on reality TV shows and MX no shows...

I wish I had half the talent he had/has...
MCfan4life
8/18/2010 3:38am
Don't try and figure it out Gibby, you'll just end up like this guy...

Law 131
8/18/2010 4:16am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2010 4:16am
If I was in a fire fight with an international enemy, I'd want DeCoster, Dungey, Short and Canard watching my back.

I wouldn't want Old Stew, Brooks or FuelTV.
WhKnuckle
8/18/2010 4:37am
race wrote:
DeCoster gave his reasons. In case you missed it: 1. Short gets good starts and rides consistent. 2. It will be on Short's home track and...

It wasn't a team event three weeks ago when Decoster knew the L&M team was trying to get ready to go to Unadilla so Stewart could audition for a spot on a team that Decoster would never let Stewart on? Why was it that Decoster knew what Brooks was planning and didn't bother to cal him and tell him Stewart wasn't coming no matter what?

Maybe the rumors about the dire finances in the Suzuki team are true - apparently, Decoster doesn't have a quarter for a pay phone.
8/18/2010 5:00am
What is the deal. I like a rider because of the amazing way he can ride a motorcycle. If you guys are interested in marrying a 250F or 450 motorcycle rider than show up at a race and propose. Do you follow these guys because of their good looks or what?
huck
8/18/2010 5:28am
race wrote:

WhKnuckle wrote:
It wasn't a team event three weeks ago when Decoster knew the L&M team was trying to get ready to go to Unadilla so Stewart could...
It wasn't a team event three weeks ago when Decoster knew the L&M team was trying to get ready to go to Unadilla so Stewart could audition for a spot on a team that Decoster would never let Stewart on? Why was it that Decoster knew what Brooks was planning and didn't bother to cal him and tell him Stewart wasn't coming no matter what?

Maybe the rumors about the dire finances in the Suzuki team are true - apparently, Decoster doesn't have a quarter for a pay phone.
Was Decoster expected to call all the other AMA pro riders and let them know that they weren't going to make the team?

motogroove
8/18/2010 5:31am
Its not just vital though Guy. I was interested so I read the open letter on HIS site about what went down last weekend with 7...
Its not just vital though Guy. I was interested so I read the open letter on HIS site about what went down last weekend with 7, and some of the shit this one cat said in particular in the comment section following it made me want to hurl.
Something along the lines of "James your a quitter, and im glad that your representing me and my country because you have no heart at all."
Its sad how some people treat these dudes like they are in a circus act or something trying to entertain us.
For all the people talking shit:JAMES (AS WELL AS THESE OTHER GUYS) ARE RACING COMPLETELY AT THEIR OWN DISCRETION!!
It really makes you wonder how many of these hatefull clueless ass dudes who post bullshit about him have ever even rode a track, or jumped a 40 foot table for that matter.
Thank you. Exactly.

Should he have kept riding so people won't think "James Stewart doesn't care about anyone but himself"? Should he have kept riding despite his own worries about self-preservation, just to silence the nay-sayers? Should he push his luck when he's coming off a long recovery, risk his indoor season, just to please his fans and sponsors?

"I'd like do dedicate this femur to all my fans out there!"

They are not going slow, even the slowest guy out there.
It is not a pee wee track.
Let's not pretend he pulled off the golf course.

We all love moto. Any of us that have raced, probably have felt the difference between when it feels right and when it feels sketchy and foolish. If you make that call, that it feels too risky out there, do you want somebody busting your balls? Oh, he's different? Maybe, maybe not. We're all human, even those we thought might be superhuman.

Also, to bring Bubba all the way down to my level of riding...
there are people out there who have been working their asses off all season who really could use the points more than Bubba could. When you are slow and in the way, get off the track and let the people who are really fighting in the series get some points. Not that this is how he was thinking, but every cloud has a silver lining. Pulling off when you're not feeling it is not necessarily the wrong thing to do.

And while we're at it, let's remember some "Bubba landed on so-and-so" incidents. Do you still want him to stick it out when he's not feeling it, if you're whipping next to him?

JPT
8/18/2010 5:37am
OK Steve, but as I've mentioned on numerous occasions, if we stick with only facts and rational thinking this whole message board thing is simply not going to work.
WhKnuckle
8/18/2010 5:37am
huck wrote:
Was Decoster expected to call all the other AMA pro riders and let them know that they weren't going to make the team?

Yeah - any AMA pro rider who has three outdoor titles, two supercross titles, has a SX only contract with a team that doesn't race the Nations, has been out for 6 months with an injury, just started riding one month ago and has been known to be trying to get to Unadilla for a MXDN tryout by everyone who even casually follows the sport, and whose team is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to move all their gear from SoCal to Northern New York for that tryout - every AMA pro like that, Roger should call if he's not going to be considered for the team.
txmxer
8/18/2010 5:47am
I'd say a lot of the heat directed at James is jealousy. Everyone always talks about all the talent he has and it's wasted...but, he's been out there and raced and won. So, that's not a waste. After 16 years of racing year round he decides to take control and do some things he wants to do? His prerogative IMO.

Do I like seeing him ride? Yes. Do I think he's full of himself? Probably. Emig talked about himself once and how self centered he is (or was). It takes some of that to be at the top. Or even in the game at that level. May not be the person you want to hang with, but, I'd guess most top level athletes are self centered to a fair degree.
jndmx
8/18/2010 5:48am
huck wrote:

WhKnuckle wrote:
Yeah - any AMA pro rider who has three outdoor titles, two supercross titles, has a SX only contract with a team that doesn't race the...
Yeah - any AMA pro rider who has three outdoor titles, two supercross titles, has a SX only contract with a team that doesn't race the Nations, has been out for 6 months with an injury, just started riding one month ago and has been known to be trying to get to Unadilla for a MXDN tryout by everyone who even casually follows the sport, and whose team is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to move all their gear from SoCal to Northern New York for that tryout - every AMA pro like that, Roger should call if he's not going to be considered for the team.
But it was for the fans.......

Direct quotes from the Transworld interview.
To be honest, Donn, the reason I am going to Unadilla to race this weekend is for the fans. I feel like I owe it to them, and my sponsors, to get out there and get to work out on the track.

To be honest, if I had not gotten hurt and did get to race the whole Supercross series, I probably wouldn’t be doing any Nationals. But since I was injured and have been away from the racetrack for so long, I feel like I owe it to lots of people to get back out there. I told everyone that I would be there, so I will be there.

So if he wouldn't have been out there if not for the injury why is this all of the sudden all about the MXoN?

Drama for a TV show maybe?
WhKnuckle
8/18/2010 5:53am
Its not just vital though Guy. I was interested so I read the open letter on HIS site about what went down last weekend with 7...
motogroove wrote:
Thank you. Exactly. Should he have kept riding so people won't think "James Stewart doesn't care about anyone but himself"? Should he have kept riding despite...
Thank you. Exactly.

Should he have kept riding so people won't think "James Stewart doesn't care about anyone but himself"? Should he have kept riding despite his own worries about self-preservation, just to silence the nay-sayers? Should he push his luck when he's coming off a long recovery, risk his indoor season, just to please his fans and sponsors?

"I'd like do dedicate this femur to all my fans out there!"

They are not going slow, even the slowest guy out there.
It is not a pee wee track.
Let's not pretend he pulled off the golf course.

We all love moto. Any of us that have raced, probably have felt the difference between when it feels right and when it feels sketchy and foolish. If you make that call, that it feels too risky out there, do you want somebody busting your balls? Oh, he's different? Maybe, maybe not. We're all human, even those we thought might be superhuman.

Also, to bring Bubba all the way down to my level of riding...
there are people out there who have been working their asses off all season who really could use the points more than Bubba could. When you are slow and in the way, get off the track and let the people who are really fighting in the series get some points. Not that this is how he was thinking, but every cloud has a silver lining. Pulling off when you're not feeling it is not necessarily the wrong thing to do.

And while we're at it, let's remember some "Bubba landed on so-and-so" incidents. Do you still want him to stick it out when he's not feeling it, if you're whipping next to him?

Great post. My beef isn't with people who bark about him pulling off, or whatever; my beef is with the fact that the L&M team spent time and money, and Stewart put in effort and risk, to get a MXDN tryout that Roger knew was a waste of time weeks ago, and all Roger had to do was pick up the phone and call Brooks, but he didn't.

Whatever. Like I said, if Suzuki is so hard up they can't afford a LD phone call, Roger can charge it to my phone and I'll pay for it.
YAKMX
8/18/2010 5:55am
Guy,just start a new forum called "Nothing but James". Then that will give a place for those that just want to rave on and on about everything James Stewart. I find it hard to believe there are pages and pages of this crap. I say lets get back to the 2 t 4t discussion..lol. Hey did anyone notice John Dowd won the 2 stroke race at Dillia?Whistling
WhKnuckle
8/18/2010 5:58am
huck wrote:

WhKnuckle wrote:
Yeah - any AMA pro rider who has three outdoor titles, two supercross titles, has a SX only contract with a team that doesn't race the...
jndmx wrote:
But it was for the fans....... Direct quotes from the Transworld interview. [i]To be honest, Donn, the reason I am going to Unadilla to race this...
But it was for the fans.......

Direct quotes from the Transworld interview.
To be honest, Donn, the reason I am going to Unadilla to race this weekend is for the fans. I feel like I owe it to them, and my sponsors, to get out there and get to work out on the track.

To be honest, if I had not gotten hurt and did get to race the whole Supercross series, I probably wouldn’t be doing any Nationals. But since I was injured and have been away from the racetrack for so long, I feel like I owe it to lots of people to get back out there. I told everyone that I would be there, so I will be there.

So if he wouldn't have been out there if not for the injury why is this all of the sudden all about the MXoN?

Drama for a TV show maybe?
Everyone who follows the sport knows he was going to Unadilla in hopes of getting on the Des Nations team. I don't know why he cared, but that's what he wanted to do. He wasn't ready to race and I'm sure he knew it because anyone who's ridden as many Nationals as he has would know he wasn't ready, but that was the race he thought he needed to make to get considered.

Who knows, maybe he planned to hang it up after the MXDN...after which maybe he planned to say, "It was all for the fans, and have a nice day."
jndmx
8/18/2010 6:10am
WhKnuckle wrote:
Everyone who follows the sport knows he was going to Unadilla in hopes of getting on the Des Nations team. I don't know why he cared...
Everyone who follows the sport knows he was going to Unadilla in hopes of getting on the Des Nations team. I don't know why he cared, but that's what he wanted to do. He wasn't ready to race and I'm sure he knew it because anyone who's ridden as many Nationals as he has would know he wasn't ready, but that was the race he thought he needed to make to get considered.

Who knows, maybe he planned to hang it up after the MXDN...after which maybe he planned to say, "It was all for the fans, and have a nice day."
So what you are saying is that James was saying one thing but actually had a different plan.......OK cool.

What was it that you were accusing DeCoster of again?

Oh yeah.....saying one thing and then having a different plan.
KING74
8/18/2010 6:23am
GuyB wrote:
...and I think I've got a handle on it. A lot of the posts sort of look like the Scooby-Doo Detective Agency meets Johnny Cochrane. You...
...and I think I've got a handle on it. A lot of the posts sort of look like the Scooby-Doo Detective Agency meets Johnny Cochrane. You guys are scouring for in anything in what James or the team says that you can pounce on, or just plain fabricate stuff, and make enough of a smokescreen that you hope something sticks. Oh, and there's a boatload of attention-whoring going on in the posts. You know...the kind of stuff that you guys frequently accuse him of.

James has been very consistent in what he's said. He got tired. He didn't think it was safe to continue. Personally, I think he was sort of stuck. Sure, he wanted to get back to racing, and also wanted to get a shot at making Team USA. BUT...when the team was announced before the start of racing, it took away some motivation to lay it all on the line.

And you can practice all you want, but recreating the intensity, pace and roughness of a National is tough to do during training. And yes, Aldon was there. I'm sure they'll make adjustments, and be better at Southwick.

Personally, I think the team has been really consistent in what they said after the race, both in PRs and verbally. Matthes said the same.
And your point is??? JS7 is paid to race motorcycles; your post reads like another excuse mill for why he didn't finish the second moto. I've read most of the JS7 posts on Vital, and I haven't seen a bunch of smokescreens and fabrications...it's a freakin opinion board. The idea that he lost motivation to compete because he was "lied to", is complete horseshit. A true champion moves past the controversies and does what he does best. This isn't his first rodeo, and he completely understands the level he has to be at to race.

Have you ever had a disappointment at your job? Do you just fold up your tent and go home? I don't care what level your at, you show a serious flaw by quitting and making excuses as to why you quit...no one cares, you quit!

I'm not a JS7 hater, but he didn't get where he got with this attitude, and he deffinitely won't move forward with any success with the same.
yosmithy
8/18/2010 6:39am
GuyB wrote:
...and I think I've got a handle on it. A lot of the posts sort of look like the Scooby-Doo Detective Agency meets Johnny Cochrane. You...

So if I'm reading your comments correctly, you think the James Stewart Voodoo dolls I'm selling on Ebay are a bit out of line?

Post a reply to: Been trying to figure out a way to describe some of the posts about James...

The Latest