Been hearing some rumors

deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
2/11/2019 10:19am
DerickYZ wrote:
Don't know. Definitely an interesting picture, however I won't get my hopes up. If they just released the same models they discontinued with BNG they would...
Don't know. Definitely an interesting picture, however I won't get my hopes up. If they just released the same models they discontinued with BNG they would sell like crazy.
KHI Guy wrote:
No they wouldn't. People would act all excited about it, then they would rave about how much better the KTM smokers are because of the years...
No they wouldn't. People would act all excited about it, then they would rave about how much better the KTM smokers are because of the years and years of development. It would be nothing more than an extension of the YZ vs KTM argument.
Suzuki two stroke market would be more popular then you think.

Considering they had the best two stroke through the early 2000 era. I think a chase and plastic update is all them bikes need.

What has KTM changed on there bikes in the past 10 years?
KTM have been playing catch up. Took them how long before they got a dam linkage on them.
No doubt the best looking 2 stroke. But I’d take a YZ250 over a KTM any day.

And if RM put out a 2 stroke... they would sell like hot cakes. Why? Because there a newer bike on the market, price and the good reputation the older two strokes had.
OldYZRider1
2/11/2019 10:29am
It’s a result of Limegate. Feld’s lookin’ to change back to two strokes for SX. This will elimnate the need to use lime like they do to get the soil compaction necessary for the tracks to hold up to the four strokes. All the manufacturers (except KTM) are on a accelerated development program to get two strokes back in action.

How’d I do?

Seroiusly it is an interesting photo, not quite like having a grassy knoll picture but close Smile .

early
Fantasy
2212th
2/11/2019 10:33am
What if the 2019 RMZ250 redesign was to fit a 250f engine in the new 2020 RM125 chassis? Cool
MZ193
2/11/2019 10:40am
This makes me damn curious.

The Shop

GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
2/11/2019 11:07am
GrapeApe wrote:
How would a 125 motor in a 250f frame be better than just refreshing a late model RM?
newmann wrote:
From what I have learned here on Vital, all of those old RM frames are stretched so far out of spec and crank cases are so...
From what I have learned here on Vital, all of those old RM frames are stretched so far out of spec and crank cases are so misaligned and egg shaped that none of them would ever be usable. That's why you never see any mx bikes over a couple years old being ridden.

Dammit, now where did I leave my popcorn?
Nobody ever said that, just stop. Some people can tell the difference between a roached-out former pro's practice bike, and a fresh low-hour source bike. They could find a decent RM for less than the cost of airfare for the delegation from Japan, and have a better handling bike. Cheaper, easier and better than trying to make an RMZ frame (engineered to resist the forces of a 250f motor) work with a 125 motor.
KHI Guy
2/11/2019 11:10am
DerickYZ wrote:
Don't know. Definitely an interesting picture, however I won't get my hopes up. If they just released the same models they discontinued with BNG they would...
Don't know. Definitely an interesting picture, however I won't get my hopes up. If they just released the same models they discontinued with BNG they would sell like crazy.
KHI Guy wrote:
No they wouldn't. People would act all excited about it, then they would rave about how much better the KTM smokers are because of the years...
No they wouldn't. People would act all excited about it, then they would rave about how much better the KTM smokers are because of the years and years of development. It would be nothing more than an extension of the YZ vs KTM argument.
Suzuki two stroke market would be more popular then you think. Considering they had the best two stroke through the early 2000 era. I think a...

Considering they had the best two stroke through the early 2000 era. I think a chase and plastic update is all them bikes need.

KTM have been playing catch up. Took them how long before they got a dam linkage on them.

And if RM put out a 2 stroke... they would sell like hot cakes. Why? Because there a newer bike on the market, price and the good reputation the older two strokes had.
I still disagree. I think the 250 would sell ok in relation to all 250 2 stroke units sold, but I don't think the 250 2 stroke market would be big enough to support a resurgence of OEM interest. Just because the Vital brain trust says so doesn't make it reality.

A rebranded RM125 with BNG would not sell. It wasn't as good as the YZ was back when it was discontinued, so there is no reason to think it would be better now. Most racers would buy the KTM, and the RM/YZ would fight over everyone else.

What has KTM done in the past 10 years? Their 125 engine! If your'e racing a 125 (which is what this thread is about), the engine is everything. Always has been, always will be.

I agree though, I personally would buy a YZ250 over a KTM for my personal needs. Then again, I am not lining up for a fictitious 250 2 stroke Supercross series.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
2/11/2019 11:45am
dkurtd wrote:
For those saying it would be an amateur kit I would recommend you go read the AMA rules. First I bet the AMA would have a...
For those saying it would be an amateur kit I would recommend you go read the AMA rules. First I bet the AMA would have a problem with a non production motorcycle. If they did allow it then it wouldn't meet the requirements for a limited class motorcycle which would limit what classes it could be run in.

Like was said before, they haven't updated the RM85 for ever, if they are that concerned with amateur racing then spend the R&D money updating that bike.
From what I was told by an actual Suzuki guy was they are using it for a transitional bike, not a race bike.

A lot of the amateurs are starting to ride 125s instead of going straight 250f to help with the adjustment. Apparently the KTM, Husky and Yamaha kids are all starting to use 125s to learn big bikes and aren’t getting as injured.
dkurtd
2/11/2019 11:58am
dkurtd wrote:
For those saying it would be an amateur kit I would recommend you go read the AMA rules. First I bet the AMA would have a...
For those saying it would be an amateur kit I would recommend you go read the AMA rules. First I bet the AMA would have a problem with a non production motorcycle. If they did allow it then it wouldn't meet the requirements for a limited class motorcycle which would limit what classes it could be run in.

Like was said before, they haven't updated the RM85 for ever, if they are that concerned with amateur racing then spend the R&D money updating that bike.
UpTiTe wrote:
From what I was told by an actual Suzuki guy was they are using it for a transitional bike, not a race bike. A lot of...
From what I was told by an actual Suzuki guy was they are using it for a transitional bike, not a race bike.

A lot of the amateurs are starting to ride 125s instead of going straight 250f to help with the adjustment. Apparently the KTM, Husky and Yamaha kids are all starting to use 125s to learn big bikes and aren’t getting as injured.
Everybody in the amateur ranks all the way up to KW14 has repeatedly said taking a kid from a supermini to a 250F is too much of a transition. I won't even go into how things were when I grew up.

AMA took the first step changing the age for 250F's to 14, but the reality is that isn't enough. I think most parents would be thankful if there was more of a transition.

Again I think 2 stroke 125's are a great option, I just don't think a frame/engine kit is the way to go. Especially for folks on a budget.
2/11/2019 12:20pm
The three manufacturers that are selling 125’s are filling the market for 125’s perfectly

The only and I mean only way Suzuki would release a 125 is if they were literally plugging the old engine into a new frame as a kit.

Back in the day before they sold the 85L you had to buy the big wheel kit of forks, wheels, swing arm through Cernic’s who would import the parts from Suzuki of England. I bring this up because like it or not- the 125 and 250 scene is far larger in Europe than it is in America.
aual4518
2/11/2019 1:03pm
Going by the way it was talked about on the pulp show the 125 motor would just fit into the 250f chassis like people on this thread have already said. They more so made it sound like this would be a tool to sign factory 85 kids by still offering them a step between supermini and 250f. So they weren't really concerned with getting the bike to the average Joe.

Kind of makes it sound like the way people used to talk about the works mx bikes of the 80s.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/11/2019 1:14pm
From what I understand, the 125 motor fits into the 2019 RM-Z250 frame with very little modification.

Japanese engineers do not fly to America for nothing.

Suzuki is up to something, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will ever sell this bike. It's called R&D. Sometimes it results in a new product and sometimes it gets shelved.
Bramlett321
2/11/2019 1:14pm
Suzuki two stroke market would be more popular then you think. Considering they had the best two stroke through the early 2000 era. I think a...

Not trying to be a smart ass but have you actually ridden a latest generation KTM 2 stroke of any displacement? I'm not knocking the YZ 250 and it's a great bike but there's no comparing the two....the KTM is better in almost every way.
aual4518
2/11/2019 1:20pm

Not trying to be a smart ass but have you actually ridden a latest generation KTM 2 stroke of any displacement? I'm not knocking the YZ...
Not trying to be a smart ass but have you actually ridden a latest generation KTM 2 stroke of any displacement? I'm not knocking the YZ 250 and it's a great bike but there's no comparing the two....the KTM is better in almost every way.
Except cornering and price, but who cares about that anyways?
newmann
2/11/2019 1:24pm
GrapeApe wrote:
How would a 125 motor in a 250f frame be better than just refreshing a late model RM?
newmann wrote:
From what I have learned here on Vital, all of those old RM frames are stretched so far out of spec and crank cases are so...
From what I have learned here on Vital, all of those old RM frames are stretched so far out of spec and crank cases are so misaligned and egg shaped that none of them would ever be usable. That's why you never see any mx bikes over a couple years old being ridden.

Dammit, now where did I leave my popcorn?
GrapeApe wrote:
Nobody ever said that, just stop. Some people can tell the difference between a roached-out former pro's practice bike, and a fresh low-hour source bike. They...
Nobody ever said that, just stop. Some people can tell the difference between a roached-out former pro's practice bike, and a fresh low-hour source bike. They could find a decent RM for less than the cost of airfare for the delegation from Japan, and have a better handling bike. Cheaper, easier and better than trying to make an RMZ frame (engineered to resist the forces of a 250f motor) work with a 125 motor.
Awww, come on sweetie, you know as well as I do how many 2 stroke threads turn into shit shows around here. It is truly comical at times to listen to the goobers drivel on about worn out bikes. And no doubt, there are plenty of people who would opt for a new bike versus rebuilding one or sourcing a nice low hour bike to start with.

As "early" mentioned above, the new RM chassis may have been designed with a shared platform in mind. If so, and I didn't listen to the Pulp show where this kit was discussed,it would make it oh so easy for Suzuki to offer up a "production" kit bike to meet the 400 unit homo rule. Being able to offer one platform to fill 2 roles can't be a bad thing. Considering how close each OEM's bikes are between 250/450 one would have to wonder why they can't share a chassis between those.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
2/11/2019 1:24pm

Not trying to be a smart ass but have you actually ridden a latest generation KTM 2 stroke of any displacement? I'm not knocking the YZ...
aual4518 wrote:
Except cornering and price, but who cares about that anyways?
I would argue suspension also.
PEPE001
2/11/2019 1:35pm
I would like it. I would even buy it!

I was wondering when I saw the 2019 RMZ250 regarding the exhaust and frame.
Thought a 2 stroke might just fit in.

That would be a smart move using the frame for 125 /250 2 stroke and 250f.
With different tripple clamp you could easily change the geometry of the bike.

I think a surprise will come up for 2020
blusmbl
2/11/2019 2:07pm
KHI Guy wrote:
Are you sure that they were real Japanese Suzuki guys? Maybe they were Chinamen in disguise?
Also, Dude, "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Asian-American," please.
Texas Built
2/11/2019 2:36pm
Those are not Japanese guys. Those are Chinese from Shenzhen. They are testing the new Sozukki MX bike for sale on Alibaba soon...
mister2dt
2/11/2019 2:54pm

Personal preference. My lap times are faster on my yz, close to the same on my rm as they were on a ktm 250 2T. I personally cannot gel with KTM bikes. I have tried several of them, i think they are beautiful bikes, i would love to have a 350xc-f and spend some time on it, thats the closest bike i could gel with but even it never quite felt right to me. Have several friends on KTM’s and swear by them, and I have several friends who left them and went back to another brand. Have a friend right now with a 2017 FE 450 for sale for $5500, has 27 hours on it and several sets of plastics and parts to go with it. He went back to a Honda. Personal preference....
BobbyLight
2/11/2019 3:06pm
If its a kit, I am guessing they would have to "manufacture" (pre install) a certain amount of the kits into 250f frames if they want to use them in ama competition right? I could see that, just put 400 together in japan and import them, then also offer the kits on the side.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
2/11/2019 3:08pm
KHI Guy wrote:

KHI Guy wrote:
I still disagree. I think the 250 would sell ok in relation to all 250 2 stroke units sold, but I don't think the 250 2...
I still disagree. I think the 250 would sell ok in relation to all 250 2 stroke units sold, but I don't think the 250 2 stroke market would be big enough to support a resurgence of OEM interest. Just because the Vital brain trust says so doesn't make it reality.

A rebranded RM125 with BNG would not sell. It wasn't as good as the YZ was back when it was discontinued, so there is no reason to think it would be better now. Most racers would buy the KTM, and the RM/YZ would fight over everyone else.

What has KTM done in the past 10 years? Their 125 engine! If your'e racing a 125 (which is what this thread is about), the engine is everything. Always has been, always will be.

I agree though, I personally would buy a YZ250 over a KTM for my personal needs. Then again, I am not lining up for a fictitious 250 2 stroke Supercross series.
Doesn’t still answer what KTM have dont to improve there two stroke?
The only thing they could improve, like mentioned was putting a linkage in.

And yes I’ve ridden both bikes. Personaly the KTM to a newer rider is going to pick it hands down and say it’s fast due to its bottom end.
But the YZ handles so much better, cheaper, easier to set up and have race ready and the power goes all the way through. It doesn’t fizzle out like the KTM.

That was off topic.
But if Suzuki where to ever put out two strokes. I think they would become more popular then there four stroke range.

And the RM250 was voted best bike of the motocross world in the area of two strokes.
And as well for Goose to say the best bike he’s worked on and easiest to have set up for a rider was that bike. That’s big words.
PEPE001
2/11/2019 3:10pm
I would buy more 2 strokes new then 4 strokes.
Easy answer i don't buy any new 4 strokes at all, just rebuild.

A nice 2 stroke other than KTM or YZ i would be in right away.
And i guess many more in my age as well.

MXMattii
2/11/2019 3:11pm
Two years ago J-Tech got one of the last 125cc engines available in Europe, maybe even the world. Old 2 stroke wizard Iller Aldini would normally try to make the bike competitive but he got cancer if my memory is correct and this combined with that the team owner already was out with cancer they both decided to close shop so the Suzuki project ended.

PS: Valenti Suzuki the Suzuki dealer who helped them is by the way a very interesting dealer because he also rebuilds 250cc Suzuki to Enduro bikes.
BR8ES
2/11/2019 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 3:40pm
Moto Man.... zero credibility. I would stop with the insults considering your lies and debacle just a few days back.
oldblood
2/11/2019 3:37pm
In the pic I had posted, it clearly showed what the op described. Two prototype factory bikes tucked between vans being worked on by factory mechanics while a factory team Suzuki rider waits patiently for them to make the required adjustments. I will try to post it again ,but it will likely be pulled down within minutes so please no thumbs downed, thank you.
Kenny Lingus
2/11/2019 3:57pm
Remember new Coke? That's what I think every time about a new rm125. Public says they want it but more than likely it won't sell much other than to RM die hards.
drt410
2/11/2019 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 4:52pm
Falcon wrote:
From what I understand, the 125 motor fits into the 2019 RM-Z250 frame with very little modification. Japanese engineers do not fly to America for nothing...
From what I understand, the 125 motor fits into the 2019 RM-Z250 frame with very little modification.

Suzuki is up to something, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will ever sell this bike. It's called R&D. Sometimes it results in a new product and sometimes it gets shelved.
Hmmm so them being the ONLY alum frame 4 stroke with a centerport exhaust and its also ONLY on the new 250f but not the NEW 450f now makes perfect sense....... if you were going to plug a 125 engine into the bike and had to fit a 2 stroke pipe.

I was confused why honda/yamaha etc use the same frames for 250/450 and Suzuki had just came out with an all new 450 but still designed a whole new frame for their 250 which has the centerport, when their new 450 doesnt.

If you were going to be plugging a 125 into the frame this is exactly the extra steps you would take, that are unnessecary otherwise because you could just use your brand new 450 frame. This is all finally starting to make a whole lotta sense why they did that..
oldblood
2/11/2019 4:51pm
The 125 class is gaining popularity, just check the Supercross futures results. If Davey could get something worked into the national program(and he's done a lot already), it will take off.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/11/2019 4:58pm
Falcon wrote:
From what I understand, the 125 motor fits into the 2019 RM-Z250 frame with very little modification. Japanese engineers do not fly to America for nothing...

drt410 wrote:
Hmmm so them being the ONLY alum frame 4 stroke with a centerport exhaust and its also ONLY on the new 250f but not the NEW...
Hmmm so them being the ONLY alum frame 4 stroke with a centerport exhaust and its also ONLY on the new 250f but not the NEW 450f now makes perfect sense....... if you were going to plug a 125 engine into the bike and had to fit a 2 stroke pipe.

I was confused why honda/yamaha etc use the same frames for 250/450 and Suzuki had just came out with an all new 450 but still designed a whole new frame for their 250 which has the centerport, when their new 450 doesnt.

If you were going to be plugging a 125 into the frame this is exactly the extra steps you would take, that are unnessecary otherwise because you could just use your brand new 450 frame. This is all finally starting to make a whole lotta sense why they did that..
Wink

Just brainstorming here; I truly do not have any insider info other than speculation, but you could build a 125-250F-250T with that single frame. Different spring rates and triple clamps, as well as graft the eccentric swingarm pivot over from the 450 and you'd have a fully functional plug-and-play assembly line, like they do in the automotive world.

Of course, you'd need an all-new factory in Japan to do that.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/suzukis-new-japan-plant-nears-completion-187… Whistling
stillwelding
2/11/2019 5:05pm
bw56 wrote:
My wife and I saw it too. The RM125 has the new generation frame. She snuck a picture as we drove past. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/11/324656/s1200_CCF18FBE_75CC_4419_94BE_999231BB6897.jpg[/img]
My wife and I saw it too. The RM125 has the new generation frame. She snuck a picture as we drove past.
ok, now we’re getting traction...
Where’s the expansion chamber? That bike stand looks Japanese.

Post a reply to: Been hearing some rumors

The Latest