Beach Races And Plastic Pollution

newmann
11/15/2018 9:10am
hoppsan wrote:
@KDXGarbage and newmann, have you ever thought about how strange it is that the massive pollution that is going on in Asia increased rapidly when we...
@KDXGarbage and newmann, have you ever thought about how strange it is that the massive pollution that is going on in Asia increased rapidly when we (Europe and North America) moved most of our dirty industrial manufacturing jobs over there to save a penny or two? It is almost as if we (that means all of us here, Euros and Americans alike) are consuming the living hell out of the goods that are being produced in China (which includes your shiny iPhones and what have you) and sort of in a strange way contribute to their pollution-problem.

What I am saying is basically this; if you own anything which contains components that are produced in Asia, you too have contributed to the pollution over there (which just half a century ago would have been pollution where you are). This is basic middle school knowledge.

Now, if what you are saying is that we (collectively, humankind, people who live on our only home called earth) should worry less about how to stop tear-offs off all things from littering the oceans and instead focus on solving the pollution-problem over in China and India, then you have a point (though I personally don't see why one rules out the other). But the way you put it sounds a whole lot more like you are saying that "they" have to fix it, and you will not do anything until that happens because "why bother?".

Now excuse me while I go and throw my trash on my neighbors lawn and then mailing in a complaint to the authorities about how filthy their property is getting while bragging about my own squeaky clean lawn.

I'm sorry for contributing to the derailment of the thread. And it is hella' reassuring to see that most people here love moto because they love riding/racing, not because they hate nature.
I've never been in favor of shipping our jobs and mfg. overseas plus I go out of my way to not buy Chinese made junk. I'll take American made and gladly pay a little more. I'll also go out of my way to rebuild a good old piece of Americana versus buying a new piece of poorly made crap. It is what it is though and I try to do my part to clean stuff up. I spend a bunch of money on waste disposal and recycling every month versus dumping my problems off on the next guy.

You need to try your approach to the next guy down the list because it is completely and totally lost on me. Wink
footglove
11/15/2018 9:54am
It's great that people do their part to clean up after themselves and limit their footprint. But why all the hate for people who want to look at continuing to make things cleaner? Whether it is a minuscule drop in the bucket or not, doesn't it make the world even just slightly better? No one is saying we need to be a bunch of tree hugging hippies, but if there are ways that we, as a moto community, can try to help out.....where is the harm?
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/15/2018 10:04am
alex69 wrote:
It's Kilograms of oil equivalent. So yes it's fossil fuel, in fact 87% of the global energy consumption is fossil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_energy_consumption_per_capita Humanity is poisoning/destroying itself, overpopulation...
It's Kilograms of oil equivalent.
So yes it's fossil fuel, in fact 87% of the global energy consumption is fossil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_energy_consumption_p…

Humanity is poisoning/destroying itself, overpopulation is a big problem, but everybody wants a better life not only the western world, it's always the pot calls the kettle black.

On topic:

In most of Europian countries the tears off are forbidden, but there always people who think the rules are not for them because they are the next big thing.
These guys don't understand when the circuit is closed and the treehuggers walks around in the area and find tears off the circuit has a problem those huggers will tackle everything to close a circuit.
That graph is oil equivalence. Not the same thing.
We could use the most energy in the world, and be at the top of that graph but get all our power from solar.
Go read your own link.
I agree tear offs are a problem, but put more effort into your posts if you're gonna try to make a stand.
jak200
11/15/2018 10:07am
footglove wrote:
It's great that people do their part to clean up after themselves and limit their footprint. But why all the hate for people who want to...
It's great that people do their part to clean up after themselves and limit their footprint. But why all the hate for people who want to look at continuing to make things cleaner? Whether it is a minuscule drop in the bucket or not, doesn't it make the world even just slightly better? No one is saying we need to be a bunch of tree hugging hippies, but if there are ways that we, as a moto community, can try to help out.....where is the harm?
EXACTLY

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
11/15/2018 10:10am
Tear offs are low hanging fruit for those that don't want dirt bike racing in certain locations. It's not such a bad thing to be a little proactive on the issue. If noone can use tear offs it's not really a big deal as there is an easy alternative. The issue isn't so much plastic in the ocean 10,000 miles from the event, as it is plastic under the toes of beachgoers the next day.
newmann
11/15/2018 10:15am
footglove wrote:
It's great that people do their part to clean up after themselves and limit their footprint. But why all the hate for people who want to...
Hate for people who want to make things better and cleaner? I guess I missed that part.
jak200
11/15/2018 10:22am
Well I’ve emailed the event organiser of Weston beach race and asked if they have any future plans to follow the other big beach races and ban tear offs, so hopefully they get back to me.
At least I’m trying hey
jap114
11/15/2018 10:24am
I just want to know more about those sea turtles that fought in 2 world wars!?!?!
jak200
11/15/2018 10:28am
jap114 wrote:
I just want to know more about those sea turtles that fought in 2 world wars!?!?!
Legends they are ✊??
footglove
11/15/2018 10:59am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 11:03am
footglove wrote:
newmann wrote:
Hate for people who want to make things better and cleaner? I guess I missed that part.
I see a lot of hate in the aggressive and cocky tone a lot of people have taken in this thread.
Sharc
11/15/2018 11:17am

Another look at Weston 2018. .....still can't find a tear off.
20,000 should be easy to spot.
I want to be upset and join in on the hysteria.
Guys - show me the Tear-Off's -!

newmann
11/15/2018 11:29am
footglove wrote:
newmann wrote:
footglove wrote:
I see a lot of hate in the aggressive and cocky tone a lot of people have taken in this thread.
You must be new here. Whistling
newmann
11/15/2018 11:32am
Sharc wrote:
[embed]https://youtu.be/lgQySDESv7g[/embed] Another look at Weston 2018. .....still can't find a tear off. 20,000 should be easy to spot. I want to be upset and join in...

OP has been a member here for 5 years and has 14 posts, 13 in this thread alone. Trolling gone wrong? An answer looking for a problem?
chump6784
11/15/2018 11:45am
A couple years ago motorcycling australia banned the use of tear offs at all events which ment all riders had to use roll offs. This came with its own set of problems with roll offs not being able to withstand roost like tear offs did so the rule was revised and now tracks have to have a waste management plan in place to be allowed to use tear offs.

In a world where the tree huggers are looking for any excuse to shut down any motorsport I think it's a good idea that we as a moto community look at ways to reduce the impact our sport puts on the environment. Think of it this way, if a race meet has 200 riders sign up and they have 1 practice and 3 races. Each time they are on the track they use 2 tear offs. That is 1600 tear offs being thrown on the ground. Would you be cool with an organisation who, at every meeting threw 1600 candy bar wrappers on the ground?
Moto events are on an enclosed track where tear off litter is not such a big deal but enduro and beach races are a different story and I think using roll offs only for those events is a good idea
jak200
11/15/2018 12:43pm
newmann wrote:
OP has been a member here for 5 years and has 14 posts, 13 in this thread alone. Trolling gone wrong? An answer looking for a...
OP has been a member here for 5 years and has 14 posts, 13 in this thread alone. Trolling gone wrong? An answer looking for a problem?
Or I just thought I’d use this platform to do something good, not everyone is out there to troll mate, just want to do a good deed
Grizz
11/15/2018 12:50pm
Sharc wrote:
[embed]https://youtu.be/lgQySDESv7g[/embed] Another look at Weston 2018. .....still can't find a tear off. 20,000 should be easy to spot. I want to be upset and join in...

newmann wrote:
OP has been a member here for 5 years and has 14 posts, 13 in this thread alone. Trolling gone wrong? An answer looking for a...
At 3:13 and 5:07 you can see them on goggles and you can see a few on the sand that haven't been buried yet throughout the video. Now show me the upset and hysterical people.
jak200
11/15/2018 12:56pm

The race winner wearing tear offs
KDXGarage
11/15/2018 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 3:59pm
jak200 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/15/302669/s1200_09410417_B556_4D13_9ECC_09C9773F640B.jpg[/img] The race winner wearing tear offs

The race winner wearing tear offs
so..., "winners use tear offs"? :-)

To whomever called me KDXGarbage, GOOD ONE (in all seriousness, it made me laugh)

To whomever thought that my hands dropped trash into the waters and lands of those Asian countries, I did not.

I went to the 2007 MXoN in MD, USA. While there, I heard over the loudspeaker that the track owner would be paying $10 per hour to pick up trash the next day. Maybe those of you who want to deal with tear offs can do that. If it is on an open beach, did the local government not already have a plan in place for trash? Was there no single person picking up trash after the event??

There appears to be a large area that the tide would not come in and wash out the tear offs. Could those areas not have the trash picked up?

I am not pro littering. I am anti "people making something out to be the end of the world" level of hysteria.

Why don't you young people offer to clean up tear offs for a certain fee?

ADD ON for old people: THE APPLES HAVE ALAR!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!
Harv379
Fantasy
1988th
11/15/2018 6:00pm
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more attention to the environmental impact of tear off's. I used to always get bothered with them littered off the sides of the tracks in in pits when I raced offroad. MX isn't as much in 'nature' per say and is mostly closed off from it. Hadn't even thought of the beach race debacle, which sure isn't a pleasant one.
KDXGarage
11/15/2018 6:30pm
Harv379 wrote:
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more attention to the environmental impact of tear off's. I used to always get bothered with them littered off the...
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more attention to the environmental impact of tear off's. I used to always get bothered with them littered off the sides of the tracks in in pits when I raced offroad. MX isn't as much in 'nature' per say and is mostly closed off from it. Hadn't even thought of the beach race debacle, which sure isn't a pleasant one.
" I used to always get bothered with them"

Are you saying that you don't now? What changed?

Was last year's Weston race a debacle? How about the last 30 years it was ran, were those also debacles? What changed?
Nellie12
11/15/2018 6:34pm
Are cigarette butts biodegradable? hmmm?? I wonder how many butts get thrown out of cars everyday vs tear offs.
Nellie12
11/15/2018 6:39pm
I'm pretty sure that a beach rake exists that can clean the beach afterward.
Honda11
11/15/2018 6:58pm
Didn't know so many tree huggers were here.. A little thin piece of plastic isn't gonna hurt anything, even thousands of em.
Grizz
11/15/2018 8:49pm
Honda11 wrote:
Didn't know so many tree huggers were here.. A little thin piece of plastic isn't gonna hurt anything, even thousands of em.
No excuse to be this ignorant in 2018.

jak200
11/15/2018 10:18pm
It would be no different then somebody walking up to the beach on non race day and chucking 10-15 tear offs on the sand and then turn around and walk off, you just wouldn’t do it so what difference does race day make.

As for KDXgarage to keep suggesting that the younger generation offer to pick them up or even asked to get paid for it, how about just don’t litter them in the first place
Lynch
11/15/2018 10:26pm
Harv379 wrote:
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more attention to the environmental impact of tear off's. I used to always get bothered with them littered off the...
KDXGarage wrote:
" I used to always get bothered with them" Are you saying that you don't now? What changed? Was last year's Weston race a debacle? How...
" I used to always get bothered with them"

Are you saying that you don't now? What changed?

Was last year's Weston race a debacle? How about the last 30 years it was ran, were those also debacles? What changed?
Well if you would have read the whole thing: "when I raced offroad"
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
11/15/2018 10:32pm
Harv379 wrote:
I have never been bothered by the tear offs at the track or the old tires that use to line almost every track in america and doubt I ever will be either. But haven't you all heard, Electric MX bikes are going to save the sport and solve most of the worlds problems too. Whistling
KDXGarage
11/16/2018 1:24am
Apparently, Weston is a big tourist spot.

https://twitter.com/visitweston

How does one maintain a tourist spot without some cleaning? Apparently, they have a tractor with a big rake thing on the back.

Where are the tear offs?

https://twitter.com/johndarvall/status/982142722118057986

They have beach clean up days at Weston for volunteers. It's on Twitter, Youtube (even saw one from 2004), etc.
You guys come back to this thread next fall and let us know how it was when you went to Weston for the clean up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjiqI5bfdNE

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/news/weston-super-mare-beach-clean-ev…

Thanks for doing something besides getting on the internet and using the callout culture to make others feel bad and shame them. TWO THUMBS UP from this guy!

KDXGarage
11/16/2018 1:38am
Nellie12 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a beach rake exists that can clean the beach afterward.
"employee, who works five days a week driving a tractor up and down Weston beach to keep it clean"

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/news/beach-cleaner-becomes-lottery-mi…

From jak200, "so that’s approximately 20000+ tear offs getting washed into the sea when the tide comes in."

VIDEO of KDXGarage replying to jak200:

Post a reply to: Beach Races And Plastic Pollution

The Latest