Beach Races And Plastic Pollution

jak200
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 7:18am
A friend and I met over the weekend and we got chatting about Weston beach race and noticed that lots of riders used tear offs. It got us both thinking that you have upwards of 1000 riders using 20+ tear offs over the course of 3 hours, so that’s approximately 20000+ tear offs getting washed into the sea when the tide comes in.

Yes I know that not every rider uses tear offs but even if half of the riders did that’s still a hell of a lot of plastic, so I looked into rules of the event to see if they enforced any restrictions on tears offs and possibly the riders were just ignoring any rules set. Unfortunately there was no mention.

Weston isn’t the only beach race out there, there are other major beach races like Le Touquet and Red Bull knockout to name a few, just thought it would be a good idea to raise awareness on this as surely I’m not the only person who thinks this is crazy and can’t continue.

With the subject of plastic in our oceans at an all time high I just thought it would looked good for our sport to do the good deed and ban them?

Thoughts????
|
11/13/2018 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 1:05pm
jak200 wrote:
A friend and I met over the weekend and we got chatting about Weston beach race and noticed that lots of riders used tear offs. It...
A friend and I met over the weekend and we got chatting about Weston beach race and noticed that lots of riders used tear offs. It got us both thinking that you have upwards of 1000 riders using 20+ tear offs over the course of 3 hours, so that’s approximately 20000+ tear offs getting washed into the sea when the tide comes in.

Yes I know that not every rider uses tear offs but even if half of the riders did that’s still a hell of a lot of plastic, so I looked into rules of the event to see if they enforced any restrictions on tears offs and possibly the riders were just ignoring any rules set. Unfortunately there was no mention.

Weston isn’t the only beach race out there, there are other major beach races like Le Touquet and Red Bull knockout to name a few, just thought it would be a good idea to raise awareness on this as surely I’m not the only person who thinks this is crazy and can’t continue.

With the subject of plastic in our oceans at an all time high I just thought it would looked good for our sport to do the good deed and ban them?

Thoughts????
No in the Netherlands, tear offs have been banned for a number of years.
You can run roll-offs or just nothing.
Redbull knockout is no exception.
GODZILLA
11/13/2018 1:04pm
No in the Netherlands, tear offs have been banned for a number of years.
You can run roll-offs or just nothing.
Redbull knockout is no exception.
Same for the french beach races championship.
No tear offs.
Grizz
11/13/2018 1:23pm
That's a great point and I'm sure most (myself included) have never even thought about. I found some stuff about biodegradable tear offs but it looks like you can't stack more than 5 without the view getting foggy. They also aren't made to go into the ocean.

Being environmentally friendly and competing in any motorsport doesn't exactly go hand in hand. This is actually something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I feel like the biggest issue for the dirt bike crowd itself is that most of enthusiast are ignorant to the issues.
11/13/2018 1:34pm
Grizz wrote:
That's a great point and I'm sure most (myself included) have never even thought about. I found some stuff about biodegradable tear offs but it looks...
That's a great point and I'm sure most (myself included) have never even thought about. I found some stuff about biodegradable tear offs but it looks like you can't stack more than 5 without the view getting foggy. They also aren't made to go into the ocean.

Being environmentally friendly and competing in any motorsport doesn't exactly go hand in hand. This is actually something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I feel like the biggest issue for the dirt bike crowd itself is that most of enthusiast are ignorant to the issues.
I'm the same as you, never thought of it. I see a documentary not long ago about plastic pollution in our oceans and it's pretty alarming the amount of plastic that's in the eco system.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/13/2018 1:37pm
It has always bothered me that I pull a tear off and then it gets littered on the track. Then again, when you throw roll-offs away, they end up in a landfill... on the ground. There's really no good option.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/13/2018 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 1:41pm
My little Brother was in the Navy and after the Ship
Is 1 mile off shore all Garbage goes overboard, finish a bottle of mountain dew ,throw it in the ocean etc ,thats what they are told to do . i was shocked to hear that and a bit horrified , but if the whole us Military is doing that
Imagine how much Garbage that is.
He said they have to do that or they would have to much Garbage is what he was told but still in this day and age you would think there has to be a better way.
Pirate421
11/13/2018 3:40pm
Tarz483 wrote:
My little Brother was in the Navy and after the Ship Is 1 mile off shore all Garbage goes overboard, finish a bottle of mountain dew...
Is 1 mile off shore all Garbage goes overboard, finish a bottle of mountain dew ,throw it in the ocean etc ,thats what they are told to do . i was shocked to hear that and a bit horrified , but if the whole us Military is doing that
He said they have to do that or they would have to much Garbage is what he was told but still in this day and age you would think there has to be a better way.
That is fortunately incorrect. There are laws about shipboard garbage, what can and can’t go overboard (food only and some cardboard). Large ships have incinerators and a lot of garbage is stored for the next port of call. Plastic is never allowed over board.

I was on a ship for 3 years and currently work on enforcing maritime pollution laws.
NHtoWA421
11/13/2018 4:53pm
Tarz483 wrote:
My little Brother was in the Navy and after the Ship Is 1 mile off shore all Garbage goes overboard, finish a bottle of mountain dew...
Pirate421 wrote:
That is fortunately incorrect. There are laws about shipboard garbage, what can and can’t go overboard (food only and some cardboard). Large ships have incinerators and...
That is fortunately incorrect. There are laws about shipboard garbage, what can and can’t go overboard (food only and some cardboard). Large ships have incinerators and a lot of garbage is stored for the next port of call. Plastic is never allowed over board.

I was on a ship for 3 years and currently work on enforcing maritime pollution laws.
There, unfortunately, is truth to both sides of this.
KDXGarage
11/13/2018 9:41pm
jak200 wrote:
A friend and I met over the weekend and we got chatting about Weston beach race and noticed that lots of riders used tear offs. It...

Thoughts????
Thoughts????

My thought is that China and India polluting the oceans is FAR worse than tear offs.

Have you made any posts on Chinese or Indian forums in an effort to encourage them to stop MASSIVE pollution?
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
11/13/2018 10:23pm
I always use roll offs now. I see what you are saying above about the canisters in the rubbish but it's no comparison to a zillion tear offs all over the place. I can't believe riders would use tear offs in a beach race even if it's allowed. And for the tit for tat guys above, just because China litters more, it doesn't mean you should chuck your burger king wrappers out the window of your car.
jak200
11/13/2018 10:29pm
jak200 wrote:

Thoughts????
KDXGarage wrote:
Thoughts???? My thought is that China and India polluting the oceans is FAR worse than tear offs. Have you made any posts on Chinese or Indian...
Thoughts????

My thought is that China and India polluting the oceans is FAR worse than tear offs.

Have you made any posts on Chinese or Indian forums in an effort to encourage them to stop MASSIVE pollution?
It’s about doing your bit as a person, just because someone else does it worse, doesn’t mean it’s ok, that’s a pretty ignorant attitude.

And I’ve wrote on a MX forum as it’s my sport and want it too look good to the outside world.
11/13/2018 10:35pm
KDXGarage wrote:
Thoughts???? My thought is that China and India polluting the oceans is FAR worse than tear offs. Have you made any posts on Chinese or Indian...
Thoughts????

Wow, you just blew my mind! That must be the most retarded thing I’ve read in my entire life! Just wow!
.kyle
11/13/2018 11:04pm
jak200 wrote:

Thoughts????
KDXGarage wrote:
Thoughts????

Just because 2 crap hole countries love to pollute means everyone should give up and do nothing?

To be fair to India they do have some good practices, like their use of a plastic based tarmac for roads. Hell, that doesn't even happen in the UK and we're supposed to be environmentally conscious.
jak200
11/13/2018 11:14pm
jak200 wrote:

Thoughts????
KDXGarage wrote:
Thoughts????

.kyle wrote:
Just because 2 crap hole countries love to pollute means everyone should give up and do nothing? To be fair to India they do have some...
Just because 2 crap hole countries love to pollute means everyone should give up and do nothing?

To be fair to India they do have some good practices, like their use of a plastic based tarmac for roads. Hell, that doesn't even happen in the UK and we're supposed to be environmentally conscious.
It does in one county so far, they are testing it for the rest of the country,could be a few more years but it’s a great idea
Jimfunn
11/14/2018 12:59am
In all the enduro & Hare & Hound events i've done in the UK, tearoffs are banned now. I was shocked there was no mention of it for Weston. I think vast majority use roll-offs anyway at Weston (and most beach races) although this year where it was so dry I used 2 sets of 100% laminates & a set of XXL RipNRolls - the laminates were so much better!
Merida
11/14/2018 1:03am
Falcon wrote:
It has always bothered me that I pull a tear off and then it gets littered on the track. Then again, when you throw roll-offs away...
It has always bothered me that I pull a tear off and then it gets littered on the track. Then again, when you throw roll-offs away, they end up in a landfill... on the ground. There's really no good option.
they will melt it and become new plastic products.
Ewan
11/14/2018 2:00am
.kyle wrote:
Just because 2 crap hole countries love to pollute means everyone should give up and do nothing? To be fair to India they do have some...

Enfield and Cumbria councils, as well as a few others north of the border, have rolled out road surfaces with plastic pellet binder mix.

https://resource.co/article/recycled-plastic-road-surface-trialled-enfi…

Of course, it would take a Scottish company to bring this product to the market Winkhttps://www.macrebur.com/
jak200
11/14/2018 2:04am
DoubleA wrote:
Bio-degradable tear offs.
Or just don’t litter the beach in the first place, bio-degradable tear offs are still a problem, animals will still eat them before they are broken down which can take up to 3-6 months
KDXGarage
11/14/2018 2:17am
Please look up the definition of "triage".

You are on here talking about tear offs. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSXB-lRAp0

.kyle, 50% of Indian households don't have a toilet. Please read up.

I am glad you children care, but giving someone a dreaded "thumb down" on the internet won't stop all the polluting going on.

Merida, the plastic he spoke of is buried in the ground, not melted.

Maybe some of you youngsters can go pick up the used tear offs? You all are going to have an early heart attack with all that worrying.
Ray_MXS
11/14/2018 2:18am
jak200 wrote:

Thoughts????
KDXGarage wrote:
Thoughts????

Well, you sound like your president and an idiot at the same time!
You also get paid by oil companies?
KDXGarage
11/14/2018 2:25am
Try to stay on topic. Also, please try to leave politics out of it before the thread gets sent to the dumbgeon. I'd hate for one of you young people to not have the opportunity to learn there are other ways of looking at issues.
Ray_MXS
11/14/2018 2:28am
KDXGarage wrote:
Try to stay on topic. Also, please try to leave politics out of it before the thread gets sent to the dumbgeon. I'd hate for one...
Try to stay on topic. Also, please try to leave politics out of it before the thread gets sent to the dumbgeon. I'd hate for one of you young people to not have the opportunity to learn there are other ways of looking at issues.
Says the guy who brought Chinese and Indian general pollution problems in to a discussion about tear offs at beach races. Cmon man
jak200
11/14/2018 2:32am
KDXGarage wrote:
Try to stay on topic. Also, please try to leave politics out of it before the thread gets sent to the dumbgeon. I'd hate for one...
Its pretty simple really, just get the organiser of the event to get behind the idea and ban them for next year, every little helps
KDXGarage
11/14/2018 2:47am
KDXGarage wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
Says the guy who brought Chinese and Indian general pollution problems in to a discussion about tear offs at beach races. Cmon man
No politics mentioned in pointing out those countries and others dumping garbage like they do. This thread is about a young person getting on the internet crying about a drop in the huge bucket. While you kids are staring at your phones, watch that video I linked to. Also, while you look at your phone, know that it cost more than most of those people make in a year. Do you think they will change because you give them a "thumb down" or talk crap about them on the internet??
jak200
11/14/2018 2:50am
KDXGarage wrote:
No politics mentioned in pointing out those countries and others dumping garbage like they do. This thread is about a young person getting on the internet...
No politics mentioned in pointing out those countries and others dumping garbage like they do. This thread is about a young person getting on the internet crying about a drop in the huge bucket. While you kids are staring at your phones, watch that video I linked to. Also, while you look at your phone, know that it cost more than most of those people make in a year. Do you think they will change because you give them a "thumb down" or talk crap about them on the internet??
What’s age got to do with it? It’s about doing our part as a moto community
Ray_MXS
11/14/2018 2:54am
KDXGarage wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
KDXGarage wrote:
No politics mentioned in pointing out those countries and others dumping garbage like they do. This thread is about a young person getting on the internet...
Should be real careful about who you call a "kid" there grandpa. And that's all the attention I'm giving your sorry ass.

On the topic though. There's really no reason why they shouldn't be banned. Sure they are nice and all but it's not hard to see the difference in pulling a tear-off and it ending up in the beach/on the track/in nature compared to using a roll off and recycling it in a proper manner.

alex69
11/14/2018 4:26am
jak200 wrote:

Thoughts????
KDXGarage wrote:
Thoughts????

Says a guy who lives in a country that's use the most fossil fuels per capita.

oh no it is obviously fake news.

Post a reply to: Beach Races And Plastic Pollution

The Latest