Be careful if you offer to trade weed for a dirt bike in Colorado

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2018 12:45 PM

https://www.9news.com/article/news/crime/man-allegedly-tries-to-trade-a-dirt-bike-for-pot-the-problem-the-seller-was-the-sheriffs-son/73-572458806

KUSA — After a man allegedly tried to trade marijuana for a dirt bike advertised for sale on Craigslist by a 17-year-old, the teen’s father got involved.

The bad news for the man? The father was the Teller County sheriff, and he’s now accused of a felony and being held on a $10,000 bond.

The incident happened on Sunday, when, according to the Teller County Sheriff’s Office, 26-year-old Stephen Huber contacted Sheriff Jason Mikesell’s son and told him he would trade his dirt bike for 8.53 ounces of marijuana.

The teen told his father about the offer, prompting narcotics detectives to get involved and arrange a location for the planned drug exchange.

Huber was taken into custody on Monday during an undercover operation by the Teller County Sheriff’s Office and Woodland Park Police Department.

He faces charges for offenses related to marijuana – a felony in this case because he is accused of attempting to sell to a minor.

This isn’t the first time the Mikesell family has been offered marijuana as currency during a Craigslist transaction.

According to the sheriff’s office, someone did just that to the sheriff himself in November 2017. Two people are potentially facing charges in that case.

|

7/10/2018 12:49 PM

How would the buyer have known He was selling to a Minor ? also doesn't Craigslist bear any responsibility for letting a minor conduct transactions on it's web site ?

Don't get me wrong the buyer/ Trader is a dope.

|

7/10/2018 12:53 PM

Photo
|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

7/10/2018 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2018 1:11 PM

500guy wrote:

How would the buyer have known He was selling to a Minor ? also doesn't Craigslist bear any responsibility for letting a minor ...more

Craigslist can't be responsible for things random people sell on their website except sex. Which is why they no longer do that. It's not like that guy had 8 ounces of weed advertised. The advertisement was for a dirt bike for sale then the dope contacted the kid and asked if he'd take 8 ounces of weed.

And as far as the minor thing, (without me reading the article) they probably met up and did the hand to hand transaction then the dope was arrested. Once you commit that act it doesn't matter if you thought the kid was 12 or 19. If he's a minor, then he's a minor.

It's not illegal for a minor to sell a dirt bike over Craigslist.

Either way, no ones to blame here but the dummy. He's not very intelligent.

|

7/10/2018 1:21 PM

500guy wrote:

How would the buyer have known He was selling to a Minor ? also doesn't Craigslist bear any responsibility for letting a minor ...more

agn5009 wrote:

Craigslist can't be responsible for things random people sell on their website except sex. Which is why they no longer do ...more

Unless rules have changed, no minors are allowed to use Craigslist.

|

7/10/2018 1:33 PM

There might be an argument made by the 26 year old(s attorney) that the 17 year old represented himself as a non minor. And one fact that supports that claim is the ad was placed on a website that only adults are allowed to place ads on. If its a criminal charge, there can be some reasonable doubt considered by the potential jurors. The city/county prosecute is an ass hole to persue this one .... but he will.

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

7/10/2018 1:36 PM

ctbale wrote:

There might be an argument made by the 26 year old(s attorney) that the 17 year old represented himself as a non minor. And ...more

Of course he will.. laughing

|

7/10/2018 1:37 PM

Everybody involved in this situation is a fucking moron.

1. The guy for trying to trade weed for a dirtbike

2. The kid for violating Craigslist TOS and not ignoring the weed trade (I get these every god damn time I list a bike, just move the hell on)

3. The teller county sheriff for having nothing better to do than book a retard on a trumped up drug charge that solves nothing.

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

7/10/2018 1:37 PM

$10K bond for trying to trade Weed in a state where it is Legal? Holy Man this world is Jacked up

|

7/10/2018 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2018 1:42 PM

Legal weed is for those 21 and up, I think that is the problem here...

And it's illegal to deal weed, period.

|

7/10/2018 1:53 PM

SeaClassExpert wrote:

Everybody involved in this situation is a fucking moron.

1. The guy for trying to trade weed for a dirtbike

2. The kid for ...more

^^ this

|

7/10/2018 2:08 PM

disbanded wrote:

Legal weed is for those 21 and up, I think that is the problem here...

And it's illegal to deal weed, period.

Exactly. It would be like a guy trading 20 cases of Bud light for a dirt bike without checking to see if the kid was 21. He could be arrested for furnishing alcohol to a minor.

Whether people like it or agree with it (that's a whole different subject), it is illegal to sell/trade marijuana in any way without a license to do so.

|

7/10/2018 2:45 PM

Sonds like weed acts as a currency there...Australia"s first currency was rum! Go figure..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

7/10/2018 2:59 PM

Hey, they don't call it Dope for nothing.

|

7/10/2018 3:05 PM

Uhhgg!.....Same last name. Huber.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

7/10/2018 3:29 PM

8.5 zips for a dirt bike is a terrible offer lmao. I woulda turned him in just for low balling me

|

7/10/2018 3:46 PM

Stupid games, stupid prizes

|

7/10/2018 4:15 PM

Btw. What is the value of 8.5?

|

7/10/2018 4:19 PM

526 wrote:

$10K bond for trying to trade Weed in a state where it is Legal? Holy Man this world is Jacked up

Should have just tried to steal the bike from the kid, would have gotten off easier. . .sideways

Seriously though, something about this doesn't sit right with me. The guy wouldn't likely know that the kid was a minor, and considering they led him on that far I kind of feel like this was entrapment in a way (if my understanding of what that entails is correct). I mean it's dumb to try to trade pot for a bike, but come on man there is way worse being done with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

7/10/2018 4:29 PM

My brother retired in Oregon. About 6 months ago he sold a vintage bike on Craigslist and was offered a certain amount of weed for it, supposedly valued at more than the selling price. My brother called his son in law who is a licensed grower and asked him if it was a good deal. He said go for it. A 60 yr old shows up to my brothers with weed grown at his farm, brother signs over rye bike title, my brother gives the weed to his son in law, son in law gives my brother cash for the weed. 3 happy parties

Not sure if they all could have been arrested or cited, but nobody was underage

|

7/10/2018 4:31 PM

I have no idea how much 8.5 ounces of pot is worth in Colorado. In 1978, 9 ounces of decent blond hash costs 250 bucks in the UK (last time I knew anything about dope). Even if the price has gone up by a factor of 10...this couldn't have been much of a bike. There's a reason we called it dope.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

7/10/2018 4:33 PM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

Approximately $1900 in Montana (medicinally legal state) but I’m not sure about Colorado.

|

7/10/2018 8:18 PM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

Premium/Medical is around $3,500+ in Washington. Cheap stuff, around 1k or so. At least that's what my friend says wink

|

7/11/2018 12:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2018 12:23 AM

The weed part of it is a non issue for me, at least morally. It's the minor thing that is weird. Can a minor hold title to a vehical in his state? Most states won't allow a minor to enter into a contract.

|

7/11/2018 12:49 AM

the 'holier than thou and I aint never dun nuthin outside da law" crowd is in out in numbers......

90% will be massive hypocrites..

im constantly amused by "adult" men still having the worst teenage behaviors..and being totally unaware of it..

|

7/11/2018 6:41 AM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

I have a Colorado medical card, can pick up high quality ounces for about $100-120 ....I would put a value of $800ish.

|

7/11/2018 7:08 AM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

5280mx wrote:

I have a Colorado medical card, can pick up high quality ounces for about $100-120 ....I would put a value of $800ish.

An ounce for $100? I don’t think I believe that. 1oz=28.35 grams. $100/28.53g=$3.53/gram

But if that’s the case, damn that’s cheap. I seem to remember it being a lot more expensive in college...Or so I was told by my friends whistling

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/11/2018 7:16 AM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

5280mx wrote:

BobPA wrote:

An ounce for $100? I don’t think I believe that. 1oz=28.35 grams. $100/28.53g=$3.53/gram

But if that’s the case, damn that’s ...more

I think he’s getting ounces and grams mixed up. I have no idea what Colorado is doing but Oregon is nothing like that. With prices that low it’s a good way to keep the card carriers wasted 24 hrs a day

|

7/11/2018 7:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2018 7:55 AM

Ounces of medical grade pot go for about $100 to $150 in Colorado...

|

7/11/2018 8:18 AM

CO got the hookups . Come on Maryland

|