Be Proud, Erin Bates.

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 3:02pm

Finally, you went up to the riders on the line and stuck your microphone in their helmets

and got a pre-race sound bite from 'em. Good , sound journalism and genuine

informative entertainment for the fans.

During the race, you did your best, as you should, to keep the fans informed, with

real - time data acquisition - the best that you could.

You asked the questions - you didn't always get the answers.

You did what a real journalist is supposed to do. You're gonna take heat no matter what

you do, Tonight you did well. Real well. Earned your stripes.
|
Friday
2/27/2010 10:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2010 10:04pm
And just to even things out.......Is she starting to sound a little screechy like that Octo-Mom chick?And she told Stroupe he just won the main after he won his heat. Just saying.Wink But,yeah,overall one of her best outings in 7 or so years.
Trip
2/27/2010 10:06pm
I thought it's been discussed that racing is 90% mental. Not sure someone sticking a mic in your face when your trying to focus on the line is the best for anyone.. Other than all star games does any other sport let the announcing crew stick mics in the athletes face during a game or race??
Rupert X
2/27/2010 10:18pm
Trip wrote:
I thought it's been discussed that racing is 90% mental. Not sure someone sticking a mic in your face when your trying to focus on the...
I thought it's been discussed that racing is 90% mental. Not sure someone sticking a mic in your face when your trying to focus on the line is the best for anyone.. Other than all star games does any other sport let the announcing crew stick mics in the athletes face during a game or race??

Here's the deal, if Erin doesn't go up and ask those questions, dig for information -

she gets labeled as simply "eye-candy" that lurks about as scenery. I think

that journalists in other sports are FAR more intrusive. We, in motocross, hold

our stars in such high-regard, that most of us are fans first and then all other

tasks are secondary, it's high time that people like Erin ask the tough questions -

even at seemingly inopportune times - it' what the basis of real journalism is all about -

getting the STORY, despite the obstacles. I applaud her.

The Shop

Trip
2/27/2010 10:27pm
Yeah, other sport reporters are more intrusive. I mean I watch alot of baseball, and every game it seems the sports reporter is in the dug out asking the guy getting ready to go up to bat what he's thinking.. After guy strikes out with bases loaded and comes back in the dugout, they alway throw a mic in that guys face and ask him what went wrong..Seriously, the starting line is no place to ask any questions to the riders. Ask one of the mechanics, team managers, man friends, anyone but the rider.. Classless!!

The journalists in other sports dig for info, but not during the game, it's just not a allowed. Another difference is, other sports have real journalists, with degrees, not just friends who work for other friends, trying not to piss off teams.
Rupert X
2/27/2010 10:40pm
Trip wrote:
Yeah, other sport reporters are more intrusive. I mean I watch alot of baseball, and every game it seems the sports reporter is in the dug...
Yeah, other sport reporters are more intrusive. I mean I watch alot of baseball, and every game it seems the sports reporter is in the dug out asking the guy getting ready to go up to bat what he's thinking.. After guy strikes out with bases loaded and comes back in the dugout, they alway throw a mic in that guys face and ask him what went wrong..Seriously, the starting line is no place to ask any questions to the riders. Ask one of the mechanics, team managers, man friends, anyone but the rider.. Classless!!

The journalists in other sports dig for info, but not during the game, it's just not a allowed. Another difference is, other sports have real journalists, with degrees, not just friends who work for other friends, trying not to piss off teams.

Yeah, well brother this ain't baseball - there aren't press-conferences and interviews

in the locker-rooms either, it is entirely different and if people like Erin want to ask the

questions of the riders, she'll do it when she can - and how is it pertinent whether

she has a degree or not ? And if the riders don't want to answer - they won't, as RV

didn't. And - if they tell her to F off, well, that comes with the territory, too.

She's not perfect, she does her best - for the first time in a long time, I feel like she

finally stepped out and stepped up and decided she needed to perform some solid

inquiries and get to tthe bottom of what is going on, then she won't have to listen to

common goons, like me, who feel like we usually only get half the story in our sport.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
2/27/2010 10:45pm
Give each rider a radio back to the mechanic like in NASCAR. It would be awesome to he hearing what they are thinking during the race, and I don't think it would be distracting as long as it's just one person talking to each racer.
Clutchy
2/27/2010 10:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:04pm
Nascar talks to its drivers on the starting line, during the race, while their taking a piss, playing with their dog................ You get the picture.

Trip
2/27/2010 11:25pm
Trip wrote:
Yeah, other sport reporters are more intrusive. I mean I watch alot of baseball, and every game it seems the sports reporter is in the dug...

Rupert X wrote:
Yeah, well brother this ain't baseball - there aren't press-conferences and interviews in the locker-rooms either, it is entirely different and if people like Erin want...

Yeah, well brother this ain't baseball - there aren't press-conferences and interviews

in the locker-rooms either, it is entirely different and if people like Erin want to ask the

questions of the riders, she'll do it when she can - and how is it pertinent whether

she has a degree or not ? And if the riders don't want to answer - they won't, as RV

didn't. And - if they tell her to F off, well, that comes with the territory, too.

She's not perfect, she does her best - for the first time in a long time, I feel like she

finally stepped out and stepped up and decided she needed to perform some solid

inquiries and get to tthe bottom of what is going on, then she won't have to listen to

common goons, like me, who feel like we usually only get half the story in our sport.
Isn't Friday "Press Day?" Meaning the press gets to ask questions?? There may not be a formal press conference after the race, but we sure do get alot of quotes on Sunday from the riders, they must be talking to someone after the race?

A degree would automatically give her credibility. She wouldn't have to try and prove her worth on the start line asking questions.

What did you learn tonite by her asking questions on the start line?? Did it make the race more enjoyable to you by her asking questions on the line?? Did you take away some really good insight on what the riders were thinking?? Did she get to the bottom of anything?? Were there questions out there that she got you the answer to?

Does her best?? When your supposed to be a professional at your craft, you are held to a higher standard. Sometimes your best isn't good enough..
jndmx
2/27/2010 11:32pm
Trip wrote:
Isn't Friday "Press Day?" Meaning the press gets to ask questions?? There may not be a formal press conference after the race, but we sure do...
Isn't Friday "Press Day?" Meaning the press gets to ask questions?? There may not be a formal press conference after the race, but we sure do get alot of quotes on Sunday from the riders, they must be talking to someone after the race?

A degree would automatically give her credibility. She wouldn't have to try and prove her worth on the start line asking questions.

What did you learn tonite by her asking questions on the start line?? Did it make the race more enjoyable to you by her asking questions on the line?? Did you take away some really good insight on what the riders were thinking?? Did she get to the bottom of anything?? Were there questions out there that she got you the answer to?

Does her best?? When your supposed to be a professional at your craft, you are held to a higher standard. Sometimes your best isn't good enough..
Her job is to stand in front of the camera and ask the questions when the red light comes on.

Your "have a degree and be a professional" line is complete BS.
This isn't a news agency.....it is entertainment. Just like other sports.

You are going to sit there an tell me that the color commentators and on air talent for baseball, football, nascar etc are all journaliam majors?

You're really just being foolish and grinding your usual axe.
aminkman
2/28/2010 6:37am
I can't believe this is a discussion. For one, the race didn't start till the gate dropped. What's wrong with starting gate interviews. Gives the audience some insight as to who is confident and what's in there head. And the Poto deal, as far as Poto and his Mechanic and probably everyone at the race thought his night was over. And what's with the AMA guy pointing out what's wrong with Poto's bike. I've never seen a Nascar official help change a tire or a ref redirect a fumbled football help one team over another.
pilotdude
2/28/2010 7:44am
Trip wrote:

Best post of the last month.
2/28/2010 8:25am
Rupert X wrote:
Finally, you went up to the riders on the line and stuck your microphone in their helmets and got a pre-race sound bite from 'em. Good...

Finally, you went up to the riders on the line and stuck your microphone in their helmets

and got a pre-race sound bite from 'em. Good , sound journalism and genuine

informative entertainment for the fans.

During the race, you did your best, as you should, to keep the fans informed, with

real - time data acquisition - the best that you could.

You asked the questions - you didn't always get the answers.

You did what a real journalist is supposed to do. You're gonna take heat no matter what

you do, Tonight you did well. Real well. Earned your stripes.
Hmm, your post seems to state that journalist have something to be proud of...

I am not so sure.

Now if Mrs. Bates has Children and they must be fed and cared for, yes she should be commended for doing whatever it takes to put food on the table.

In an event such as war then I would agree a good honest journalist is the best way to prevent rampant propaganda being the only source of info.

But in a sport where the only thing that really matters is finishing position do we really need trackside commentary?
Rupert X
2/28/2010 8:33am

I was commending her for doing a good job, especially when there posts floating about,

declaring that she was out of line by making the very inquiries and investigating the

side-stories that develop during the course of the night - that contribute to the overall

story-line of the show.

" But in a sport where the only thing that really matters is finishing position do we really need trackside commentary? "

Yes, absolutely we do, case in point - at Indy, when there was a black-flag flown,

NOBODY, including the announcers - were sure of who it was for.... A well informed

fan gets a better understanding and a more fulfilling experience.

2/28/2010 8:47am
My problem with this stems from a feeling that spectators are the worst thing that ever happened to motorcycle racing.

It is my problem that I cannot look at this issue and many others, from any point of view other than the riders.

I know these guys are paid professionals, but even a spectator (ugh) should be interested in the best racing possible. Not the most info possible.

There is a very good chance that a tactless question just seconds before the start will have an effect on a riders ability to focus thus effecting the outcome of the race.

In an event as dangerous as SX everyone should put their desire for immediate info aside. If not for the good of racing, for the safety of the racers.

If you missed some juicy tidbit during a race and just have to know what happened there is always facebook and twitter for your voyeuristic needs.
jmar
2/28/2010 8:50am
Clutchy wrote:
Nascar talks to its drivers on the starting line, during the race, while their taking a piss, playing with their dog................ You get the picture.

They don't allow anyone to walk up to the car when and start shoving mics in people's faces. It's a staged event and permission is given before it is allowed.
`ol Ger
2/28/2010 8:58am

Begone Erin Bates.

As you were,

oG
czernik
2/28/2010 9:13am
OK ...but you should not imped a rider in the mechanics area ..
Rupert X
2/28/2010 9:15am
People Of Planet Earth:

I'll never understand the commotion - nor the condemnation - of this woman

simply doing her job, To inform the public.

As for interviewing riders on the line and distracting their concentration - HOGWASH.

Then take away the mechanics and their pre-race line-lectures, take away the

gorgeous 30 sec board chick and get all the fans out of the stadium, God forbid

the riders might be spooked by all this other business taking place.

They are professional riders, They deal with distractions. WOW.
Rupert X
2/28/2010 9:18am
czernik wrote:

She probably figured RV was out of the race and was hoping to get the scoop -

FOR THE FANS.

RV chose not to answer. BFD.

No harm, no foul.

Erin did her JOB.

( imped?)
2/28/2010 9:29am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:04pm
Obviously you are not going to change your mind, until someone sticks a mic in your face on the line and questions about that time your wife cheated on you???

And I would say, yes, to a champion winning is THAT important. And I am sure if you are married she is a wonderful woman, I was just making a point.
lucero10x
2/28/2010 9:35am
Trip wrote:
Isn't Friday "Press Day?" Meaning the press gets to ask questions?? There may not be a formal press conference after the race, but we sure do...

Yeah, you really should go bury yourself alive.

"A degree would automatically give her credibility. She wouldn't have to try and prove her worth on the start line asking questions."

Really? We all know a degree GUARANTEES success and is the only way one can become a true benefit to society. lmao! WOW. FUUUUCCCK OFF!
Clutchy
2/28/2010 9:48am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:04pm
Clutchy wrote:

jmar wrote:
They don't allow anyone to walk up to the car when and start shoving mics in people's faces. It's a staged event and permission is given...
They don't allow anyone to walk up to the car when and start shoving mics in people's faces. It's a staged event and permission is given before it is allowed.
If they could run fast enough they would be on the track during the race.....

And they ask questions while they're on the starting grid firing up the engines.
Clutchy
2/28/2010 9:52am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:04pm
czernik wrote:
Rupert X wrote:
She probably figured RV was out of the race and was hoping to get the scoop - FOR THE FANS. RV chose not to answer. BFD...

She probably figured RV was out of the race and was hoping to get the scoop -

FOR THE FANS.

RV chose not to answer. BFD.

No harm, no foul.

Erin did her JOB.

( imped?)
Rup......
I would of never in a million years guessed the SX had such a closet homosexual following............................Wink
Rooster
2/28/2010 10:21am
I thought she was going to get the very first interview of rider who was still racing on the track there until RV hopped on his bike without saying a word.

For you guys who think it was wrong for Erin to do what she did. Have a look at those big earmuff things she wears when shes working down by the track during the race. I'll guarantee you somebody was telling her to run over and get an interview with RV. She's been around racing long enough to know what's going on. But like any other person who works for someone else to get their paycheck, she does what the boss tells her to.

If RV is pissed about the TV people costing him time, then he's wrong. If it wasn't for the guys who were plugged into the broadcast commentary coming over and pointing out that the exhaust was plugged with dirt he would have never made it back out. Or at least would have taken longer than they did.
jmar
2/28/2010 10:25am
The person that pointed out the plugged muffler was Tim McAdams who is an AMA official, not a TV broadcast guy.
chuck317
2/28/2010 10:26am
151 wrote:
Obviously you are not going to change your mind, until someone sticks a mic in your face on the line and questions about that time your...
Obviously you are not going to change your mind, until someone sticks a mic in your face on the line and questions about that time your wife cheated on you???

And I would say, yes, to a champion winning is THAT important. And I am sure if you are married she is a wonderful woman, I was just making a point.
your a freaking idiot. in car racing after the driver has flipped ten times after slamming the wall the reporter is waiting on them to come out of infield care center. you probally jerk off to erin and still cant get off. thats why you are so pissed.
aminkman
2/28/2010 10:38am
jmar wrote:
The person that pointed out the plugged muffler was Tim McAdams who is an AMA official, not a TV broadcast guy.
Isn't he supposed to be a disinterested observer of the rules? Why would he help a racer with a mechanical issue?
Void Main
2/28/2010 10:43am
jmar wrote:
Tooltime is an AMA official this year? I wondered what he was up to. I didn't even notice that was him.
2/28/2010 10:43am
IMO, it was in bad taste to attempt an interview right after RV had crashed out and taken a huge blow to his title hopes.

Reminded me of that classic Bradshaw interview after one of his bad races where he had a meltdown on camera.

As for Erin, she does a good job and the starting line interviews were cool.

Post a reply to: Be Proud, Erin Bates.

The Latest