Be Honest, can you ride a wheelie?

FahQ
9/26/2018 6:28pm
I will never forget wheelying my 83 RM125 on a highway that was under construction. It was all stone. I was learning to go through the gears and was getting really good at it. Well 5th gear tapped and a little breeze and I was looped out and rag dolling down the highway. I was young and bounced pretty well. But I did not let that stop me, I rode wheelies on streetbikes, even with my wife on the back. I love wheelying my plated WR300 side by side with my brother on his KTM 530 while we're riding fire roads or the occasional dual sport. I wheelie my mx bike just for fun while riding mx. I'll power wheelie coming up to a jump, drop it down to hit it.
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
9/26/2018 6:34pm
Couldn’t ride a wheelie to save my ass......
Ridden for 40 years, and still can’t. Doug Damokas had a gift.
Phantom 661
9/26/2018 6:34pm
At 135 pounds back in the day 100 yard wheelies were just part of riding a CR 500. At that weight even mid way through 5th could raise the front at will! Fantastic wheelie machine. Well balanced, extremely exhilarating and easy riding wheelies on the edge, but get stupid and you'll pay for it.
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
9/26/2018 6:42pm
Damokas, or Dumokas? Don’t wanna insult his legacy, the man was incredible. Watched him in the Astrodome in March of 81, wheelie the entire track. To add to it, I got to watch Mike Buff, RL Osborne, and Bob Haro put on a BMX trick show between races. Very cool experience for being a 7 year old racing a YZinger in the dome.

The Shop

barnett468
9/26/2018 7:05pm
I could ride a wheelie in both 2nd and 3rd while sitting down for as long as I wanted on my 1974 Bultaco 250 back in 75. Haven't tried it on my 1980 YZ250 that I just bought but don't have any interest in doing it either. All I do is race it.

willie838
9/26/2018 7:18pm
could do 1st gear power wheelies on my first bike ,yz 80

first street bike, i behaved myself for about 2 weeks before i started experimenting wheelying my 96 cbr 600 f3.

got 1st gear power wheelies down then slowly started learning how to clutch it in second

i got pretty good at it, could do a local bridge, about 1.5 miles in either direction nice and steady

it was just so easy, from 30 roll on hard, around 40 in 2nd bang the clutch into your knuckles then drop it while leaning back standing....then when it got pretty high ,just feather the throttle.

i can confirm that cops hate wheelies.

eventually upgraded to a cbr1krr after a few years laying low and i just....lost it

way more power and obviously an easier machine to w heelie but i just didn't click with it.

i believe my wheelying days are over.
DF313
Fantasy
2408th
9/26/2018 8:11pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Yes. To be fair four strokes are like a cheat code for this. My favorite is to get up on first and the shift through the...
Yes. To be fair four strokes are like a cheat code for this. My favorite is to get up on first and the shift through the gears . Honestly the 450s make it hard not too if your really giving it the Spurs, and I had definitely moved to a very light front wheel riding style/power wheelies whenever I can. Saves your arms such a beating once u embrace it. I also flipped my two stroke 250 at 60 a couple years ago lol. Sure missed the compression braking my 450s have that day......cuz I can never and I mean never catch the rear brake in a wheelie. Some type mental block I guess
ACBraap wrote:
on the first read I thought you meant at age 60 and I was really impressed, especially with that being a 'couple of years ago' and...
on the first read I thought you meant at age 60 and I was really impressed, especially with that being a 'couple of years ago' and that you're on a 450 now.
He did mean 60 years old, gsxr6 is really Rodger Decoster
9/26/2018 8:26pm
I can wheelie for days on my bicycle but I don’t ride my dirtbike enough to be able to get to the balance point and hold it
RandyS
9/26/2018 8:40pm
I watched my dad in the 60s and early 70s on crap lake Harley Sprints and Ossa Pioneers ride wheelies indefinitely sitting down, standing up, standing on the seat, one handed. I've been riding since 1969 and I can ride wheelies slow, if I try to go fast I just top out and drop it. I can't even comprehend the wheelie boy stuff.
9/26/2018 8:48pm
I did a mile long one once on my fz1 back when I was younger and dumber. Never really messed with trying them on my dirt bikes though.
Sully
9/26/2018 9:21pm
OP, can we get this as one of the poll options, because this is about where I fall in as well.
Crush
9/26/2018 9:53pm
I can but it's weird how easy it is on a bicycle and it seems so much harder on a moto for me. I can basically ride around on my rear wheel on the mtb.
gnarwhip
9/26/2018 9:57pm
No. What am I, a kook born in ‘97 that has raced twice but has 8,000 instagram followers and posts a new video every three days of other guys jumping stupid shit?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/26/2018 10:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 10:16pm
aroark247 wrote:
Stand up fast wheelie, sit down fast wheelie, fast nose wheelie, nose wheelie up, over and down jumps all day long. But I try a slow...
Stand up fast wheelie, sit down fast wheelie, fast nose wheelie, nose wheelie up, over and down jumps all day long. But I try a slow high wheelie and look like a first time 65 rider coming off a concrete gate
HusqFan3 wrote:
Interesting. I’ll be honest, I’m having a hard time reconciling how it’s possible for so many seasoned, life-long dirt bike riders that can’t seem to be...
Interesting. I’ll be honest, I’m having a hard time reconciling how it’s possible for so many seasoned, life-long dirt bike riders that can’t seem to be able to ride a wheelie to save their lif(myself included) yet somehow all these inner-city, gang-bangers(e.g. 12 o’clock boys) all seem to be able to do it with ease...
Lol!!! I feel the same way at times. But pay close attention to the video next time. Those guys tighten the rear spring so tight that there’s no sag. That helps quite a bit.
MotoX85
9/26/2018 10:21pm
7 miles is my record. From a small town in southern Illinois called Hoffman to Hoyleton on an KTM LC4 620. Big group of us were out on a cruise. Road is completely straight the whole way and a couple of us just wanted to see how far we could go.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
9/26/2018 10:25pm
Got good at them with 2 back wheels, average at best on a bike. I can wheelie but not slow speed ones, I always fall over 1 way or the other, fast ones no problem

And for something completely stupid we have the happy hour wheelie contests. Laughing

https://youtu.be/yRclNQc0zg8

9/26/2018 10:41pm
Stand up wheelies all day, sit down wheelies the exact opposite. ?
9/27/2018 3:38am
The best way to get good at wheelies is to have a lot of free time. I used to be able to do these. I’m good at slow wheelies but respect my rear fender too much to drag. I’m okay at mid speed wheelies. Cannot do fast ones.

Ing
9/27/2018 3:38am
I'm 61 and for some reason this is still important to me. I can wheelie as far as I want on my 625 KTM. If you can't wheelie that machine you should sell all you bikes and quit.
pkiczuk
9/27/2018 3:55am
funny story I forgot to mention.
about two weeks ago I was on my 18 KLX 250, and wanted to practice wheelies. Well my drive way is uber shitty, its hard to get up on both wheels, or in any two wheel drive vehicle because they used repurposed asphalt which is essentially loose stone, and the drive way is super steep. in some spots the asphalt has hardened and is close to concrete. So I found a spot and picked up the front end, but wasn't thinking (I was trying to show off in front of my wife) and hit the loose stuff. as the back tire started to wash out, the front end dropped. I put my foot down (rookie mistake) and that also washed out. Dumped the bike, which is heavy as fuck compared to an MX bike, and shattered my mirror and bent the clutch lever. Also tweaked my knee and back...and ego, pretty good. only good thing that came out of it was it was an excuse to get rid of the tacky stock mirrors and get some more low profile ones.

I've tried wheeling this bike on the street, and it is not exactly easy to even get the front end up as the bike has no balls, nor do I, and you really have to lean back and rev the piss out of it before dumping the clutch.
BobKerr
9/27/2018 5:16am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2018 5:16am
I could wheelie on a bicycle for almost as long as I wanted. I worked hard at it though to gain that ability. I spent hours and hours developing the feel, and used the hand brakes to prevent flip over.

On a 2-stroke dirtbike, there was a point in my early 20's where I worked on it a little, and did ride them from 1st through 5th gear a few times, but never consistently. I think I could've gotten good at them, but didn't put in the effort to learn them like I did on a bicycle.
DYE
9/27/2018 5:22am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2018 5:28am
I've only read the first page but found these results surprising. I seem opposite of several people. I can't wheelie a bicycle to save my life but can ride them for days on a motorcycle with one catch, it has to be a 4 stroke. Every since I've been on 2strokes I haven't been able to sustain a wheelie over long distances...slow wheelie, forget about it, can't even come close without tipping over Dizzy

Edit: I have mastered the foot down 180-360 to get myself out of situations on a trail if that counts as slow wheelie lol
dl117
Fantasy
2546th
9/27/2018 7:12am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2018 7:24am
dadofagun wrote:
Damokas, or Dumokas? Don’t wanna insult his legacy, the man was incredible. Watched him in the Astrodome in March of 81, wheelie the entire track. To...
Damokas, or Dumokas? Don’t wanna insult his legacy, the man was incredible. Watched him in the Astrodome in March of 81, wheelie the entire track. To add to it, I got to watch Mike Buff, RL Osborne, and Bob Haro put on a BMX trick show between races. Very cool experience for being a 7 year old racing a YZinger in the dome.
also watched him wheelie all the way around Millville as a kid 82-83ish

oh I cant ride one worth shit, my kid gives me crap about being on a bike since 1980 cant sustain a wheelie
Taylor415
9/27/2018 7:42am
I use to be half ass decent. I can still ride one on my mtb. Honestly haven’t tried one on the mx bike in years
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/27/2018 7:51am
sumdood wrote:
Got good at them with 2 back wheels, average at best on a bike. I can wheelie but not slow speed ones, I always fall over...
Got good at them with 2 back wheels, average at best on a bike. I can wheelie but not slow speed ones, I always fall over 1 way or the other, fast ones no problem

And for something completely stupid we have the happy hour wheelie contests. Laughing

https://youtu.be/yRclNQc0zg8

Nice bike in the last pic Bill! WinkLaughing
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
9/27/2018 8:27am
I was a hit and miss long wheelie guy on my 2 stroke but on a modern 4 stroke, I'm much more consistent at it
aroark247
9/27/2018 8:33am
aroark247 wrote:
Stand up fast wheelie, sit down fast wheelie, fast nose wheelie, nose wheelie up, over and down jumps all day long. But I try a slow...
Stand up fast wheelie, sit down fast wheelie, fast nose wheelie, nose wheelie up, over and down jumps all day long. But I try a slow high wheelie and look like a first time 65 rider coming off a concrete gate
HusqFan3 wrote:
Interesting. I’ll be honest, I’m having a hard time reconciling how it’s possible for so many seasoned, life-long dirt bike riders that can’t seem to be...
Interesting. I’ll be honest, I’m having a hard time reconciling how it’s possible for so many seasoned, life-long dirt bike riders that can’t seem to be able to ride a wheelie to save their lif(myself included) yet somehow all these inner-city, gang-bangers(e.g. 12 o’clock boys) all seem to be able to do it with ease...
Exactly, and those guys (and sometimes kids) do them with no helmet or gear on. I always ask myself, how in the hell did they get to that level without seriously injuring themselves? They must have found some technique that they have all shared to get all their buddies going.

I'll be honest though, I've never put a serious effort into learning the slow one, definitely not as much as doing nose wheelies.

I've got nose wheelies down, so now I'm going to put some effort into learning this

Post a reply to: Be Honest, can you ride a wheelie?

The Latest