Barcia's Crash and the Medical Crew

Crush
drt410
1/20/2019 5:59pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
When I did the Anaheim SX in 1984 they did even [i]have[/i] a medical crew. They've come a long way. The medical crew has extensive knowledge...
When I did the Anaheim SX in 1984 they did even have a medical crew. They've come a long way. The medical crew has extensive knowledge and experience with the specific needs required for SX accidents. Without knowing the specifics or hearing the transactions between Barcia and the medical crew, I wouldn't question their actions.
Yup /thread
cr12500
Fantasy
624th
1/20/2019 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 6:03pm
jemcee wrote:
Using my limited knowledge everything about that crash screamed spinal damage! I'm not gonna criticise Doc Bodnar's crew in any way though cause they obviously know...
Using my limited knowledge everything about that crash screamed spinal damage! I'm not gonna criticise Doc Bodnar's crew in any way though cause they obviously know way more than me..

The following statement is not in any way referring to Barcia's post crash treatment..
Even though someone says they can feel their legs, there could be a displaced bone and any movement could force the bone into the spinal chord causing an SCI.. A fragment of my vertebrae was sitting in the main artery in my neck but it was working as a plug, in my operation my surgeon said she only slightly nudged it which displaced it and I lost 70% of my blood.. So had my first responders not performed perfectly I would of bled out in seconds at the track!!

Under pressure much!!?? haha
Yea, have to agree with this and sirsparki. No way the medics, even if they are full MDs, could have known the full extent of Barcia's injuries. That's why they take X-Rays, CAT scans, etc. Cause you can't eyeball something tiny that could have a huge impact. I'm guessing either they tried to red flag and the race director said no, or they just made a snap decision to move him quickly. Either way, it didn't look good and seemed pretty careless.

The Shop

Racer142
1/20/2019 9:20pm
jemcee wrote:
Using my limited knowledge everything about that crash screamed spinal damage! I'm not gonna criticise Doc Bodnar's crew in any way though cause they obviously know...
Using my limited knowledge everything about that crash screamed spinal damage! I'm not gonna criticise Doc Bodnar's crew in any way though cause they obviously know way more than me..

The following statement is not in any way referring to Barcia's post crash treatment..
Even though someone says they can feel their legs, there could be a displaced bone and any movement could force the bone into the spinal chord causing an SCI.. A fragment of my vertebrae was sitting in the main artery in my neck but it was working as a plug, in my operation my surgeon said she only slightly nudged it which displaced it and I lost 70% of my blood.. So had my first responders not performed perfectly I would of bled out in seconds at the track!!

cr12500 wrote:
Yea, have to agree with this and sirsparki. No way the medics, even if they are full MDs, could have known the full extent of Barcia's...
Yea, have to agree with this and sirsparki. No way the medics, even if they are full MDs, could have known the full extent of Barcia's injuries. That's why they take X-Rays, CAT scans, etc. Cause you can't eyeball something tiny that could have a huge impact. I'm guessing either they tried to red flag and the race director said no, or they just made a snap decision to move him quickly. Either way, it didn't look good and seemed pretty careless.
Being a paramedic I can say you are both mostly wrong as proven multiple times. Yes there are freak occurances where movement after the initial trauma causes more damage but this is the exception and not the rule. Most EMS agencies are introducing selective spinal immobilization and doing away with back boards unless there is an obvious deformity or neurological deficit. It's becoming more widely recognized that if the initial impact didn't paralyze you then movement after the fact likely won't either. Yes you still want to limit movement but as long as you are not twisting or manipulating the spine unnaturally then the chance of increasing the damage is minimal.
barnett468
1/20/2019 9:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 9:43pm
This will be fun to read through when I wake up in the morning.
That's funny, also, in case you didn't know, calvmx at perris this sunday. 3 wheeler time again.
gsxr6
1/20/2019 10:11pm
Lol I flipped my cr250 and road rashed my ass and broke my tailbone. In a rock garden no less. Won't ride without a tailbone pad now. Was pretty much the only place I wasn't heavily protected I realized after the fact. Hurt for a year. Fourth gear wound out.
milliebays
1/20/2019 10:52pm
barcia flipped wilson off last week when he asked him to race safer.
Lynch
1/20/2019 11:28pm
milliebays wrote:
"Asked" Whistling
Dust601
1/21/2019 12:25am
Watching the Instagram video I have major props to Barcia for being with it enough to get himself mostly off the track himself crawling before anyone got there. I know it seems like an obvious thing to try, and do especially if you know there’s a bunch of guys coming behind you, but anyone who’s gone down hard impact knows that sometimes you ain’t thinking about the obvious for a few.

Not touching the did medical personnel do right, or wrong part though lol. Those people are all at high levels in their field after years of work to get there. I’d take advice from them over a couch warrior every single time.
jemcee
1/21/2019 12:41am
Racer142 wrote:
Being a paramedic I can say you are both mostly wrong as proven multiple times. Yes there are freak occurances where movement after the initial trauma...
Being a paramedic I can say you are both mostly wrong as proven multiple times. Yes there are freak occurances where movement after the initial trauma causes more damage but this is the exception and not the rule. Most EMS agencies are introducing selective spinal immobilization and doing away with back boards unless there is an obvious deformity or neurological deficit. It's becoming more widely recognized that if the initial impact didn't paralyze you then movement after the fact likely won't either. Yes you still want to limit movement but as long as you are not twisting or manipulating the spine unnaturally then the chance of increasing the damage is minimal.
Well that goes against every piece of information I've ever been told or read but I won't doubt you or that they've got new findings in all this..
tingo
1/21/2019 7:05am
That hit was hard! I can't tell if it was his boots or his ass, but he left a skid mark on the track. Good to hear that he didn't break anything, but his tailbone is going to be sore for a while. Sore enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss rounds unless they can numb it up.
motomike137
1/21/2019 9:15am
I am super bummed for Justin and glad it wasn't more serious. Some of the commenters here mean well and some of you are dicks.
JWACK
1/21/2019 9:30am
milliebays wrote:
And now Barcias all butt hurt!
captmoto
1/21/2019 12:02pm
Racer142 wrote:
Being a paramedic I can say you are both mostly wrong as proven multiple times. Yes there are freak occurances where movement after the initial trauma...
jemcee wrote:
Well that goes against every piece of information I've ever been told or read but I won't doubt you or that they've got new findings in...
Well that goes against every piece of information I've ever been told or read but I won't doubt you or that they've got new findings in all this..
US EMS vs. Aus EMS.

This is a local EMS agency training update.
http://remsa.us/documents/programs/education/presentations/1501Cervical…
Racer142
1/21/2019 12:13pm
Racer142 wrote:
jemcee wrote:
Well that goes against every piece of information I've ever been told or read but I won't doubt you or that they've got new findings in...
captmoto wrote:
US EMS vs. Aus EMS.

Yeah that pretty much sums up what I was saying and in Barcia case the only things that would make him get a backboard before moving would be Altered mental status or distracting injury (broken femur like Malcom) otherwise you can rule out spinal cord injury quickly and move your patient out of the way of further harm.
jemcee
1/21/2019 2:21pm
Racer142 wrote:
jemcee wrote:
captmoto wrote:
US EMS vs. Aus EMS.

Oh ok then.. I couldn't actually open that, it says it's forbidden FOORbidEEEEN!!

Again cause it's vital I've gotta make sure everyone knows I'm not doubting the information, just genuinely interested haha
1/21/2019 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 2:52pm
Racer142 wrote:
Yeah that pretty much sums up what I was saying and in Barcia case the only things that would make him get a backboard before moving...
Yeah that pretty much sums up what I was saying and in Barcia case the only things that would make him get a backboard before moving would be Altered mental status or distracting injury (broken femur like Malcom) otherwise you can rule out spinal cord injury quickly and move your patient out of the way of further harm.
The other funny thing is that when you actually see a fractured neck, or back, the patient does a pretty good job of stabilizing it on their own by limiting movement. Because it hurts to move it, just like any other broken bone.
1/21/2019 4:46pm
In the moment I thought they should have red flagged the race, for his safety and the integrity of the race. Him laying there used up 3 minutes of racing while rendering the rhythm sections useless. Always error on the side of caution, even if it turns out to be a bruised tail bone I am alright with a red flag.
Sierra Ranger
1/21/2019 5:15pm
I guess we can look forward to these threads any time a guy is down for a while.
I had a similar injury, but not as bad, from a BMX bike. It felt like it took all summer to heal. It's the type of thing that doesn't hurt except if you move your body a certain way and it's like a hot knife. Not fun.
cr12500
Fantasy
624th
1/21/2019 5:58pm
jemcee wrote:

cr12500 wrote:
Yea, have to agree with this and sirsparki. No way the medics, even if they are full MDs, could have known the full extent of Barcia's...
Racer142 wrote:
"Yes you still want to limit movement but as long as you are not twisting or manipulating the spine unnaturally then the chance of increasing the damage is minimal."

Twisting or manipulating the spine like picking someone up by the arms and walking them over an uneven surface like a supercross track? These guys are worth millions to themselves and the sport, they couldn't stop the race for 5-10 minutes to safely move a guy who just had a horrific crash? Seems pretty amateur to me.
Dust601
1/21/2019 6:41pm
milliebays wrote:
JWACK wrote:
I’m so bummed for Barcia, and hate that it happened, but I laughed reading that.
JWACK
1/21/2019 8:03pm
milliebays wrote:
JWACK wrote:
Dust601 wrote:
I’m so bummed for Barcia, and hate that it happened, but I laughed reading that.
I agree it sucks. Hope he is just banged up and not broken broken. I only poke fun because I broke my pelvis and sacrum (tailbone) into multiple pieces last September and Im still all butt hurt! Lol
Heal up Barcia! We may be calling you bumbum if your not careful.
Dust601
1/21/2019 10:52pm
JWACK wrote:
Dust601 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
I agree it sucks. Hope he is just banged up and not broken broken. I only poke fun because I broke my pelvis and sacrum (tailbone)...
I agree it sucks. Hope he is just banged up and not broken broken. I only poke fun because I broke my pelvis and sacrum (tailbone) into multiple pieces last September and Im still all butt hurt! Lol
Heal up Barcia! We may be calling you bumbum if your not careful.
Wow that’s rough. I hope you’ve healed up ok. It’s a shame. We all love this sport so much, but sadly it doesn’t love us back sometimes. Like we saw with Barcia all it takes is one mistake, and we can wind up in a world of hurt.

Post a reply to: Barcia's Crash and the Medical Crew

The Latest