Barcia's Crash and the Medical Crew

sirsparki
Fantasy
360th
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 10:52pm
Okay, just a couple of observations. Barcia hit the deck really hard and laid there for awhile before the flaggers and medical personnel got to him. The whole time he was laying there face down in the dirt grabbing at his lower back. The flaggers were pretty quick to put out the red cross flag on the lane that is feet were in, but his head was two feet from the outside lane where they didn't even throw out a yellow flag. And then to my dismay, the medic basically lifted Justin up, waited a minute for a break in the riders coming at race speed on the outside lane and then pretty much drug him across the track to get to the Asterisk Mule. It seemed like a justifiable time to pull out the red flag and load him on a backboard and mule.
I am praying that Justin's injury is not as serious as it looked from the stands, and hoping my concern over lack of spine injury precautions are unfounded. I think the world of Doc and the crew, but I have seen some things that make me cringe. And as for the flaggers, well don't get me started.

Praying for a speedy recovery for both Justin and Malcolm.
|
drt410
1/20/2019 12:26am
He was walking so Id say hes probably not paralyzed. The flaggers have sucked, like with mookie. Asterisk is good tho.
drt410
1/20/2019 12:32am
So, red flag now everytime someone falls off their bike?
Vital

The Shop

sirsparki
Fantasy
360th
1/20/2019 12:42am
drt410 wrote:
He was walking so Id say hes probably not paralyzed. The flaggers have sucked, like with mookie. Asterisk is good tho.
I'm not sure I would call that walking, as I recall, his legs were dangling as they carried him by the armpits across the track. He was trying to stand on his own at the back of the mule before I returned to watch the race.
I think my main concern would be that they should have taken some more precaution under the circumstances. The flaggers should have had the red cross flag out in both lanes at the least.
Other than that, I really enjoyed the race format, my first time at a Triple Crown event. I think its a lot better format in person, than watching it on TV. The breaks on TV seemed like there were twice as many commercials and made the night drag on. But in person, the breaks were doable, even with the stupid fan competition's.
sirsparki
Fantasy
360th
1/20/2019 1:00am
So, red flag now everytime someone falls off their bike?
That's not what I'm saying. But if the rider can't get up on his own, and is in a dangerous location like Justin was, I feel the safety of the rider and the medical staff comes first. Did you see the medic crouching down to talk to Justin trying to keep his feet out of the outside lane where everyone was still going at race speeds? I only bring this up because I felt that everyone involve were in a dangerous position on the track and it seemed too rushed to get him off the track without the precautions for what could have been a serious injury. Thankfully just a bruised tailbone maybe.
Too many riders in this sport end up with injuries that may have been made worse by not taking the time to do precautionary measures.

I'm not a regular poster on Vital, but have been a member for along time. I didn't start this thread to stir up a bunch of s***, it was just an observation I made and feel strongly about, having had many of my friends end up with spine injuries.

But if you feel you must, FLAME ON
1/20/2019 1:04am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 1:05am
It's the same as Peicks situation. It takes them two seconds to ask if his neck or back hurts, they might have even seen the accident too to know if he was at risk for a spinal cord injury. They did nothing wrong. These aren't even basic EMTs like they are at local races, a lot of the medical crew is actually doctors, from what I've heard.
1/20/2019 1:27am
It's the same as Peicks situation. It takes them two seconds to ask if his neck or back hurts, they might have even seen the accident...
It's the same as Peicks situation. It takes them two seconds to ask if his neck or back hurts, they might have even seen the accident too to know if he was at risk for a spinal cord injury. They did nothing wrong. These aren't even basic EMTs like they are at local races, a lot of the medical crew is actually doctors, from what I've heard.
So this week it’s possible for the medics to watch a crash and know if there’s a spinal cord injury, but last week not one of us could see that Mookie broke the largest bone in his body.
Gotcha.
Vitarded.
js451
1/20/2019 1:30am
You don’t know what was said between Barcia and the medic before he moved him. I have to get better at not clicking these threads
Motoxdoc
1/20/2019 1:37am
When I did the Anaheim SX in 1984 they did even have a medical crew. They've come a long way. The medical crew has extensive knowledge and experience with the specific needs required for SX accidents. Without knowing the specifics or hearing the transactions between Barcia and the medical crew, I wouldn't question their actions.
1/20/2019 1:44am
Im sure they would have called for a red flag and put him on a back board had they suspected a serious injury.
sirsparki
Fantasy
360th
1/20/2019 1:59am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 2:00am
It's the same as Peicks situation. It takes them two seconds to ask if his neck or back hurts, they might have even seen the accident...
I know that Doc Bodnar's team is more than capable of assessing the injuries of the riders. I was just making an observation that the whole situation looked sketchy from the stands, and given the location, it felt to me that the rush to get him off the track and out of dangers way could, and I emphasize could, have been avoided.
At the least the red cross flags should have been flown on both lanes.

And good night to all ;-)
Tenacious P
1/20/2019 2:38am
I used to be a lifeguard and we went through constant extensive training. In any situation where a spinal injury was even possible the protocol was to stabilize the neck and backboard the victim using a precise series of predetermined steps. We practiced it monthly.

I was at the race. The way I saw them handle Barcia was so far from the correct protocol. As much as I don’t want to see a red flag that late in a race it was probably the right thing to do...
500guy
1/20/2019 8:48am
I used to be a lifeguard and we went through constant extensive training. In any situation where a spinal injury was even possible the protocol was...
I used to be a lifeguard and we went through constant extensive training. In any situation where a spinal injury was even possible the protocol was to stabilize the neck and backboard the victim using a precise series of predetermined steps. We practiced it monthly.

I was at the race. The way I saw them handle Barcia was so far from the correct protocol. As much as I don’t want to see a red flag that late in a race it was probably the right thing to do...
Glen Helen would have sent the flaggers home and rerouted them around the accident.
slipdog
1/20/2019 9:01am
I used to be a lifeguard and we went through constant extensive training. In any situation where a spinal injury was even possible the protocol was...

500guy wrote:
Glen Helen would have sent the flaggers home and rerouted them around the accident.
Can you imagine the conniption fit Bud would've thrown watching them drag Barcia off the track without him high five one spectator?
gloverxc
1/20/2019 9:12am
When a racer crashes and is laying on the track, protect him with a Tuff Block. Until you can get other help to manage the situation. Are these flaggers old, or out of shape? I know they used to be volunteer, they need some that can move and react faster! What a joke!
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
1/20/2019 9:14am

500guy wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Can you imagine the conniption fit Bud would've thrown watching them drag Barcia off the track without him high five one spectator?
WoohooLaughingTongue
mxb2
1/20/2019 9:17am
gloverxc wrote:
When a racer crashes and is laying on the track, protect him with a Tuff Block. Until you can get other help to manage the situation...
When a racer crashes and is laying on the track, protect him with a Tuff Block. Until you can get other help to manage the situation. Are these flaggers old, or out of shape? I know they used to be volunteer, they need some that can move and react faster! What a joke!
$9 hr dont get much. Lol.
kaptkaos
1/20/2019 9:28am
So he got a Villo? That injury ended RV's career...

This sucks, 4 guys in 3 weeks...but the racing has been awesome bc the favorites are not off to blazing start, 3 different winners in 3 weeks, non of the favorites winning yet, means we will probably have 6-7 winners this year.

I hope Barcia is okay and can back to racing soon.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/20/2019 12:03pm
drt410 wrote:
Probably. WhistlingGrinning

When I saw him exit the stadium, he was sitting up in the rear seat on the mule, not on a backboard.
Motodave15
1/20/2019 12:15pm
If it's a bruised tailbone, this week will suck for JB.
Yeah ive bruised my tailbone playing hockey.. and fuck that noise it sucks so bad
500 Mike
1/20/2019 12:27pm

Agree 100%. Looked like he was down for quite awhile and from the look on face as they practically drug him off the track, at minimum, a ride on the mule seemed in order, at least to me.
1/20/2019 1:07pm
Barcia would have communicated his wishes - this thread is pathetic.

I'd bet it went along the lines
"Lets get you a backboard - just to be safe"
"Fuck you im walking"
"Come on justin, you never know"
"Im fine - im fine, i'll be fine"
"Well how about we help you walk"
"fine"'

"Shit I cant walk easily - and Im in the race track in the way - carry me!"

"we told you so"

The medical crew the sport is blessed with does a great job.

Compare it to what these guys have on practice day - and no on here has any reason to bitch.
If your broken - your broken. Back, neck, etc you are on a race track with dirt, jumps, mud etc. Red flag or not - getting out of that situation isn't the same as being at a football game.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
1/20/2019 4:30pm
sirsparki wrote:
I know that Doc Bodnar's team is more than capable of assessing the injuries of the riders. I was just making an observation that the whole...
I know that Doc Bodnar's team is more than capable of assessing the injuries of the riders. I was just making an observation that the whole situation looked sketchy from the stands, and given the location, it felt to me that the rush to get him off the track and out of dangers way could, and I emphasize could, have been avoided.
At the least the red cross flags should have been flown on both lanes.

And good night to all ;-)
How long have you been a paramedic? How many patient assessments have you performed?
OldHalfway
1/20/2019 5:05pm
Having fractured my tailbone I can honestly say it sucks to do anything at all besides lay on your stomach.
jemcee
1/20/2019 5:34pm
Using my limited knowledge everything about that crash screamed spinal damage! I'm not gonna criticise Doc Bodnar's crew in any way though cause they obviously know way more than me..

The following statement is not in any way referring to Barcia's post crash treatment..
Even though someone says they can feel their legs, there could be a displaced bone and any movement could force the bone into the spinal chord causing an SCI.. A fragment of my vertebrae was sitting in the main artery in my neck but it was working as a plug, in my operation my surgeon said she only slightly nudged it which displaced it and I lost 70% of my blood.. So had my first responders not performed perfectly I would of bled out in seconds at the track!!

Under pressure much!!?? haha

Post a reply to: Barcia's Crash and the Medical Crew

The Latest