Barcia trolling us about his forks: Air or Spring

Donkey Kong
1/13/2021 4:25pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
I swapped out my internals in my 16 FC450 but have left the AER in my 20 and tbh I’ve not had any issues with them...
I swapped out my internals in my 16 FC450 but have left the AER in my 20 and tbh I’ve not had any issues with them in 25 hours on the bike. I told myself that I was going to ride them for a bit before making a plan on what direction to go and now I’m pretty sure I am going to stay AER and change some valving for the mid stroke and that’s it.

I’m a 6 foot, 215 pound, 37 year old Vet A rider who rides just MX and for me anytime I buy a bike I have to swap out both front and back springs and such. With the AERs I can simply swap the rear shock spring and then work with the air pressure on the forks. I’ve done nothing to the forks other than add air and mess with clickers and it works pretty well. Much better than I thought it would.

Air forks are the future and one of the main reasons that the Austrian bikes are so light.
Air forks are the past and nothing but the past for production MX bikes.
MX304
Fantasy
3763rd
1/13/2021 7:44pm
He's running an new prototype air shock. I hoe they have better luck with that than they did the first time 'round.
Jeff_Brines
1/14/2021 11:11am
You have one part right, which is where the oil resides. However, the overall function of oil height in most mx forks is very similar to...
You have one part right, which is where the oil resides. However, the overall function of oil height in most mx forks is very similar to volume spacers (for mountain bikers).

Without getting into the weeds too much on volume differential between mtb and mx and seal differential (both play big factors here) oil height has a massive impact on spring rate later in the travel. How much of an impact depends on the fork model.

I'll hunt around for a forces curve with oil height as a variable.
MDana87 wrote:
That would be cool to see. I haven't spent time playing with oil height on the AER, but sounds like I should experiment. Any idea if...
That would be cool to see. I haven't spent time playing with oil height on the AER, but sounds like I should experiment. Any idea if these are long & thin enough to suck oil out of the external chamber while on the bike & in the clamps?

If you pop the top cap off, it'd probably work.

I'll have to look at my notes but I'm pretty sure WP suggests oil amount (not height) of 200 or 210ccs. I went down to 130ccs with great results. Please realize however, I am NOT a track rider. I am an offroad wannabe hard enduro guy (aka I drop my bike a lot and ride my dirt bike in stupid places).

The Shop

Bruce372
2/6/2021 4:35pm
Cooper Webb said today he has his air shock dialed in and i think he is due for a win tonight

Post a reply to: Barcia trolling us about his forks: Air or Spring

The Latest