Barcia staying with Yamaha, whats this refusal thing!

fourfourone
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2020 2:23pm
Few weeks ago we all thought he was going to go to another team. Out of left field its announced he is staying at Yamaha. He's been riding awesome but I think a lot of people thought a change would be good for him.

Can someone explain what happened with Yamaha and the first right of refusal thing and how it works?
|
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
9/10/2020 1:47pm
Where was it officially announced he is staying with Yamaha? Sorry missed that...
zehn
9/10/2020 1:51pm
Got a source?
LKHill
9/10/2020 1:54pm
It means Yamaha has the right to match or beat any offers.
loftyair
9/10/2020 2:03pm
But, does anyone know if they have?

The Shop

crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/10/2020 2:21pm
If Star is taking over Yamaha, wonder if the first right of refusal could be contested if he really wanted to ride a different bike.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/10/2020 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 2:26pm
First right of refusal is a clause written into his current contract. In layman's terms this is what it means:

"If you find something financially better at a later date, you agree to denounce that better contract and remain with us, as long as we pay you the same or more than what you were offered." Yamaha can exercise that clause if Justin has something better with, say, GasGas or Suzuki.

EDIT: If some proposed other contract is more than Yamaha wants to pay, Justin can tell them to pound sand. He would be free to make the move.
ccullins
9/10/2020 2:34pm
It’s written into most riders contracts I believe, at least the ones that I’ve seen.

It basically says that at the end of a contract you must let them know what your new contract is worth and if they are willing to match it you must stay with them. Now if GG offers more than Yamaha is willing to pay he is free to leave.

This is almost never used as who wants to keep a rider that wants to leave. However in this case it seems Yamaha wants to keep him. Question is does he want to stay or go?
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
9/10/2020 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 3:32pm
Falcon wrote:
First right of refusal is a clause written into his current contract. In layman's terms this is what it means: "If you find something financially better...
First right of refusal is a clause written into his current contract. In layman's terms this is what it means:

"If you find something financially better at a later date, you agree to denounce that better contract and remain with us, as long as we pay you the same or more than what you were offered." Yamaha can exercise that clause if Justin has something better with, say, GasGas or Suzuki.

EDIT: If some proposed other contract is more than Yamaha wants to pay, Justin can tell them to pound sand. He would be free to make the move.
More like the opposite in terms of who tells who to pound sand. If JB gets an offer elsewhere better than what Yamaha offers, Yamaha gets to choose to either match it and keep him, or decide he's not worth that much to them and let him go. Having a ROFO gives the brand the option to keep a rider, while letting the rider shop around and potentially cause the brand to either up what they pay, or let them go to greener (or red, orange, or yellow) pastures.
MXMattii
9/10/2020 3:36pm
Maybe he doesn't think it is too bad, staying at Yamaha. Because when Star is going to run the 450 program it is also a change is scenery.
Brent
9/10/2020 3:36pm
Brad460 wrote:
Where was it officially announced he is staying with Yamaha? Sorry missed that...
...what he said.

Nothing on IG or anywhere else that I've seen from Barcia or Yamaha?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/10/2020 4:06pm
Falcon wrote:
First right of refusal is a clause written into his current contract. In layman's terms this is what it means: "If you find something financially better...

ACBraap wrote:
More like the opposite in terms of who tells who to pound sand. If JB gets an offer elsewhere better than what Yamaha offers, Yamaha gets...
More like the opposite in terms of who tells who to pound sand. If JB gets an offer elsewhere better than what Yamaha offers, Yamaha gets to choose to either match it and keep him, or decide he's not worth that much to them and let him go. Having a ROFO gives the brand the option to keep a rider, while letting the rider shop around and potentially cause the brand to either up what they pay, or let them go to greener (or red, orange, or yellow) pastures.
Correct. I meant Justin could say, "Sorry, your offer isn't enough to make me stay." If they do match it, he has to remain on blue.

Another angle that hasn't been discussed is this: If Justin's new offers are far below what Yamaha pays him now, they may think it is worth paying him whatever the highest other offer is, just to keep a good rider at a good price. Discount!
xrmark
9/10/2020 4:28pm
Brent wrote:
...what he said.

Racer X.
Zycki11
9/10/2020 4:57pm
Barcia staying at Yamaha is a smart move. He knows the bike, RV is helping with testing now as well as Ross(Enzo), and Sergio will have the help he needs with the chassis. Big changes, all really positive.
9/10/2020 5:07pm
Falcon wrote:
Correct. I meant Justin could say, "Sorry, your offer isn't enough to make me stay." If they do match it, he has to remain on blue...
Correct. I meant Justin could say, "Sorry, your offer isn't enough to make me stay." If they do match it, he has to remain on blue.

Another angle that hasn't been discussed is this: If Justin's new offers are far below what Yamaha pays him now, they may think it is worth paying him whatever the highest other offer is, just to keep a good rider at a good price. Discount!
This would only be possible if there weren’t lawyers involved on all sides, which there most certainly are.
Brent
9/10/2020 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 5:18pm
Brent wrote:
...what he said.

xrmark wrote:
Racer X.
Well I guessI'm the idiot, I shouldn't have been out riding my dirt bike today I guess.

The shit you miss when you are out in the world doing things...

Too bad that he's staying with Yamaha, I was hoping he could make even more enemies (if that's possible) by crashing into the few remaining riders he hasn't yet on the new Gas Gas...
MXMattii
9/10/2020 5:52pm
Brent wrote:
Well I guessI'm the idiot, I shouldn't have been out riding my dirt bike today I guess. The shit you miss when you are out in...
Well I guessI'm the idiot, I shouldn't have been out riding my dirt bike today I guess.

The shit you miss when you are out in the world doing things...

Too bad that he's staying with Yamaha, I was hoping he could make even more enemies (if that's possible) by crashing into the few remaining riders he hasn't yet on the new Gas Gas...
If I was the Star management I would probably try to keep him aswell. You never know if you can find something on the bike that the former Factory team didn't found.
outerlimits
9/10/2020 7:42pm
I don't think Justin is sweating this decision as much as we seem to be. He's in a good place right now and I'll be willing to bet he wouldn't be unhappy no matter which team and situation he ended up with.
brocster
9/10/2020 8:03pm
So who gets the Gas Gas ride or rides???
zehn
9/10/2020 8:09pm
Been talked about for weeks on Pulp y'all are late.
Get this, not everybody listens to Pulp or any moto podcast
str8line
9/10/2020 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 9:31pm
I don't think Justin is sweating this decision as much as we seem to be. He's in a good place right now and I'll be willing...
I don't think Justin is sweating this decision as much as we seem to be. He's in a good place right now and I'll be willing to bet he wouldn't be unhappy no matter which team and situation he ended up with.
He's not in a good place, he's desperate. He was in a good place two weeks ago then like the Hulk he turned into Bam-bam. Takeouts and takeout attempts are not the sign of a rider with his shit together. But he's probably loving those results just before contract time. Marvin is going to lay his ass out, just watch.
9/11/2020 12:24am
Falcon wrote:

ACBraap wrote:
More like the opposite in terms of who tells who to pound sand. If JB gets an offer elsewhere better than what Yamaha offers, Yamaha gets...
Falcon wrote:
Correct. I meant Justin could say, "Sorry, your offer isn't enough to make me stay." If they do match it, he has to remain on blue...

Surely a rider wouldn't be obliged to declare a lower offer would he? That wouldn't make sense?

And if the rider was willing to go to a better bike/team for a lower price, he could do?

With this in mind, If Factory KTM wanted to get a cheap rider/s, could they ask RMATV KTM to make said rider a 'low' offer, so that the factory team could keep him at a lower rate??

Being obliged to declare lower offers makes absolutely no sense to me at all.
philG
9/11/2020 2:46am
zehn wrote:
Get this, not everybody listens to Pulp or any moto podcast
Why? . Its like not watching the news and the wondering whats going on.
cappelmans
9/11/2020 3:16am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2020 3:16am
If Star takes over the Factory Yamaha effort, what will that mean for Villopoto? Will be continue to test For Yamaha? Barcia seems to be very comfortable on the bike
mirramaxx
9/11/2020 5:32am
I'm kind of bummed, was looking forward to him being a red bike. Honda or GasGas, was really hoping that could change up his program for the better. On the other hand he looks REALLY good on the Yami and with Star taking over and with RV2 behind the bike testing it could be a really good match up!
olds cool
9/11/2020 5:44am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2020 5:45am
Haven’t read the RacerX column or listened to Pulp in a while but could being able to potentially keep his A Stars gear deal if he stays on blue be a factor?
Bidirella
9/11/2020 5:53am
cappelmans wrote:
If Star takes over the Factory Yamaha effort, what will that mean for Villopoto? Will be continue to test For Yamaha? Barcia seems to be very...
If Star takes over the Factory Yamaha effort, what will that mean for Villopoto? Will be continue to test For Yamaha? Barcia seems to be very comfortable on the bike
If they got the money to keep Barcia, I think they got it for Villo to.. Seems like the testing and help from Villo is starting to pay off, would be a stupid move to not keep him on board for 21...

Bummer AP7 is out, wondering if he also could found more comfort and speed.
Bidirella
9/11/2020 5:58am
Really like Yamaha going all in with this.
They really want to go back to top and winning races.
Money don’t seem the problem, wich is a great thing to see in this sport IMO.

First Ferrandis and now resign Barcia and they still have AP7.

I hope they all have a great off season and Star/RV2 can make the bike even better for those guys.

Post a reply to: Barcia staying with Yamaha, whats this refusal thing!

The Latest