Barcia bike issue.

1/21/2021 9:04am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2021 9:05am
GrapeApe wrote:
Unfortunately this can be expected with a brand new unproven and untested motorcycle. I'm sure their engineers in Spain are already working on a fix.
Boomslang wrote:
The gear lever is identical to the ktm and husqy, it was just damn bad luck that it broke off.
I guess the engineers at Gas Gas in Spain did a poor job of making an identical shift lever to the KTM, but then again, these are the types of things you would expect from a brand new unproven bike.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3706th
1/21/2021 9:12am
This just doesn't make sense to me. If it broke that early, why wouldn't he come into the pits? It takes all of ~30 seconds to...
This just doesn't make sense to me.

If it broke that early, why wouldn't he come into the pits?

It takes all of ~30 seconds to remove what's left of the old shifter and put a new shifter on? Considering those pit carts have about everything on them, you would think they have a small part like levers and shifters?
If it only takes 30 seconds to remove and put a new shifter on (which I have my doubts, situationally), he still made the right decision...
If it only takes 30 seconds to remove and put a new shifter on (which I have my doubts, situationally), he still made the right decision.

He finished 25.7 seconds out of the win. A 30 sec stop would have dropped him minimally 2 positions from where he finished (Wilson and Osborne were both under 30 sec from the lead), and that's generously giving that he was going to easily beat Eli otherwise.
You can’t be serious? By the time he slowed down and stopped, told his mechanic what the problem was, got it changed and back out onto the track that had 40? second lap times would not be a smart thing to do.
DonM
1/21/2021 9:59am
This just doesn't make sense to me. If it broke that early, why wouldn't he come into the pits? It takes all of ~30 seconds to...
This just doesn't make sense to me.

If it broke that early, why wouldn't he come into the pits?

It takes all of ~30 seconds to remove what's left of the old shifter and put a new shifter on? Considering those pit carts have about everything on them, you would think they have a small part like levers and shifters?
Press516 wrote:
There was a notable change in his lap times beginning on lap 22... It wasn't early, it was around 7 laps to go.
Gocha - Figured Barcia was over exaggerating when he said it broke in the first turn.
He didn’t say it happened in the first turn....he said he got off line and hit a tuff block...not off the line...
Kenny Lingus
1/21/2021 11:24am
DonM wrote:
He didn’t say it happened in the first turn....he said he got off line and hit a tuff block...not off the line...
Looks like he landed on the Kawi blocks going into a left turn with about 4-5 min left.

I think he passed Zac on the last lap too?

The Shop

Brent
1/21/2021 11:42am
KTM shifters take longer to change or adjust because the 8mm bolt is harder to get to.
IWreckALot
1/21/2021 12:54pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
It would probably take closer to 1 minute, but even if it was 30 sec, on a 45 sec track, you're almost a lap down right...
It would probably take closer to 1 minute, but even if it was 30 sec, on a 45 sec track, you're almost a lap down right away.

If you look at Eli's lap chart, he averaged 44.00. Barcia averaged 44.78. They did 29 laps so, assuming having a shifter would have given Barcia enough of an edge to be on Eli's pace, they would've had to change it in no more than 22.6 seconds just to be even, and probably less because he wouldn't have come in on lap 0.

Barcia only finished 25 seconds behind Eli. If he had stopped, he would've had to pass 13 riders just to get back to 9th where he finished, and how much would passing them have further slowed him down?

You really nerded out on the math there.
Sc2
1/21/2021 1:28pm
Hey bam, next time fit a step through shifter, got a reserve just incase
kkawboy14
1/21/2021 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2021 1:29pm
Jardo wrote:
I cannot imagine doing anything on a track in 1st gear.
G-man wrote:
I thought the Factory Trans are completely different for SX than us average Joe's and have only 3 or 4 gears.
JMX82 wrote:
Three speed factory gearbox is my guess too. European version has already 4 speed gearbox and I would guess that would be only logical to remove...
Three speed factory gearbox is my guess too. European version has already 4 speed gearbox and I would guess that would be only logical to remove first gear for saving weight because it won't get used anyways
Exactly! He didn’t ride that SX track with the same 1st gear I have on my bike!
Brent
1/21/2021 2:17pm
Who even uses first gear on a production bike?

maybe guys who ride goat trails, but for Motocross or Supercross I can't think of any track Ive ever used first gear.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
1/21/2021 3:55pm
Brent wrote:
Who even uses first gear on a production bike? maybe guys who ride goat trails, but for Motocross or Supercross I can't think of any track...
Who even uses first gear on a production bike?

maybe guys who ride goat trails, but for Motocross or Supercross I can't think of any track Ive ever used first gear.
Brandon
nickm
1/21/2021 4:53pm
Gear ratios can be anything on SX bikes so I wouldn't make the assumption the gear ratios in the box (even if its three speed) are remotely similar to stock gear ratios.
TeamGreen
1/21/2021 5:15pm
Eso parece aluminio Austriaco débil.
El aluminio Español ha sido mejor.
El aluminio Español es mas macho.

Brent
1/21/2021 5:53pm
Maybe one of these days “ Factory Edition” will mean factory transmission gears and ratios rather than just bolt on bling.

Me and a lot of other guys could benefit from a three speed 450.
2-3-4 is all you need for racing moto.
Timo
1/21/2021 6:42pm
Brent wrote:
Maybe one of these days “ Factory Edition” will mean factory transmission gears and ratios rather than just bolt on bling. Me and a lot of...
Maybe one of these days “ Factory Edition” will mean factory transmission gears and ratios rather than just bolt on bling.

Me and a lot of other guys could benefit from a three speed 450.
2-3-4 is all you need for racing moto.
BYOBike kinda like BYOBeta, but even more options!
RalphS
1/21/2021 7:27pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Google translator did a decent job amigo
TeamGreen
1/22/2021 1:52pm
TeamGreen wrote:

RalphS wrote:
Google translator did a decent job amigo
Quien es Mas Macho?
1/22/2021 3:09pm
I've never been on a supercross track, but, in my experience on a vet track its literally impossible, even for my slow ass, to ride around the track in first gear? please explain.
motomike137
1/22/2021 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2021 3:29pm
I've never been on a supercross track, but, in my experience on a vet track its literally impossible, even for my slow ass, to ride around...
I've never been on a supercross track, but, in my experience on a vet track its literally impossible, even for my slow ass, to ride around the track in first gear? please explain.
Barcia's 1st gear is likely as tall or taller than second gear in your bike. They run special transmission parts and may only have a 3 speed for indoors.
DonM
1/22/2021 3:41pm
I've never been on a supercross track, but, in my experience on a vet track its literally impossible, even for my slow ass, to ride around...
Barcia's 1st gear is likely as tall or taller than second gear in your bike. They run special transmission parts and may only have a 3...
Barcia's 1st gear is likely as tall or taller than second gear in your bike. They run special transmission parts and may only have a 3 speed for indoors.
The rules state that they must have the same amount of gears as a stock machine....but many have works transmissions that have different ratios so they may have a higher first gear...not sure if the KTM group does though.
1/22/2021 3:44pm
Barcia's 1st gear is likely as tall or taller than second gear in your bike. They run special transmission parts and may only have a 3...
DonM wrote:
The rules state that they must have the same amount of gears as a stock machine....but many have works transmissions that have different ratios so they...
The rules state that they must have the same amount of gears as a stock machine....but many have works transmissions that have different ratios so they may have a higher first gear...not sure if the KTM group does though.
Cheers for that, makes a little more sense to me now.

G-man
1/22/2021 4:11pm
DonM wrote:
The rules state that they must have the same amount of gears as a stock machine....but many have works transmissions that have different ratios so they...
I've never seen that rule, can you provide a link?

There is no rule about keeping stock gears. It's not uncommon for factory teams to remove 5th gear for SX.
Berm
Fantasy
82nd
1/22/2021 4:31pm
DonM wrote:
G-man wrote:
I've never seen that rule, can you provide a link? There is no rule about keeping stock gears. It's not uncommon for factory teams to remove...

There is no rule about keeping stock gears. It's not uncommon for factory teams to remove 5th gear for SX.
Page 7: http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2021/2021%20AMA%20Supercross%20R…

1.3 Transmissions and Primary Drive
a. Motorcycles are restricted to the use of rear-wheel drive only.
b. Primary drive method must remain the same as the
homologated model.
c. The maximum number of speeds in the gearbox is six.
d. Number of transmission gears must be the same as the
homologated model.

Someone said you can have false gears though...not sure on the finer details.
G-man
1/22/2021 4:33pm
Thanks! 👍
DonM
1/22/2021 4:34pm
DonM wrote:
G-man wrote:
I've never seen that rule, can you provide a link? There is no rule about keeping stock gears. It's not uncommon for factory teams to remove...

Berm wrote:
Page 7: http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2021/2021%20AMA%20Supercross%20Rulebook.pdf 1.3 Transmissions and Primary Drive a. Motorcycles are restricted to the use of rear-wheel drive only. b. Primary drive method must remain the...
Page 7: http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2021/2021%20AMA%20Supercross%20R…

1.3 Transmissions and Primary Drive
a. Motorcycles are restricted to the use of rear-wheel drive only.
b. Primary drive method must remain the same as the
homologated model.
c. The maximum number of speeds in the gearbox is six.
d. Number of transmission gears must be the same as the
homologated model.

Someone said you can have false gears though...not sure on the finer details.
Thanks I was just going to post this....I’m not sure of the dummy gears either.
JMX82
1/22/2021 10:13pm
DonM wrote:
Thanks I was just going to post this....I’m not sure of the dummy gears either.
Replacing transmission gears with plastic ones and blocking them from use is an old gimmick that has been used on factory bikes for decades
PBRvince
Fantasy
2162nd
1/23/2021 1:29am
DonM wrote:
You sure you have a degree in journalism?
Antonioni
1/23/2021 3:26am
Barcia broke his lever due to his own fault.
At about 4min15 of the remaining time of the final, we can see Barcia landing on a side protect.

Also, thus before the last 6/7 laps his bike was fully functional.
downard254
1/23/2021 6:13am
TeamGreen wrote:
I heard the GasGas has a cheaper shifter...

Grinning
Isn't it made from "al dente" spaghetti?Laughing
motomike137
1/23/2021 8:21am
DonM wrote:
Interesting. Obviously I didn't read the rulebook Smile So as some others have mentioned they evidently have some creative methods of working within the rulebook.

Post a reply to: Barcia bike issue.

The Latest