Barcia and Tom Danielson

Edited Date/Time 4/12/2016 5:57pm
Anyone else think it might not be a good idea to be hanging around with Tom Danielson?

Danielson, Barcia's new cycling/training/mentor/man friend guy has tested positive twice for doping in pro cycling. First time, he got a reduced sentence for ratting out everyone else, inc. Lance Armstrong. Second time (last august), he was kicked from his cycling team.

Why would Barcia want to associate with this guy? There are plenty of great cyclists that didn't dope that he could train with. And do you think that Barcia will (or should) undergo more scrutiny by USADA/WADA/whatever because of his association with a multiple time cheater?

|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/11/2016 7:30pm
It works for Justin, and he putting in some hard miles of training both before the season, and while he was out with his thumb surgery.

He also rides in a series that's tested by WADA. Apparently it's not an issue for him.

From my seat, it looks like you're just trying to throw a little shade his way.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
4/11/2016 7:32pm
Barcia knows the rules and knows the repercussions . Just becuse someone he knows does something does not mean he will .
4/11/2016 7:36pm
sorry GuyB, not trying to throw shade at Barcia at all. He's not my favorite racer, nor do I dislike him. Feelings are neutral. I just don't understand the desire to pair up with Danielson or anyone else who might cause you to be under the microscope more than others.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/11/2016 7:41pm
dustintlee wrote:
sorry GuyB, not trying to throw shade at Barcia at all. He's not my favorite racer, nor do I dislike him. Feelings are neutral. I just...
sorry GuyB, not trying to throw shade at Barcia at all. He's not my favorite racer, nor do I dislike him. Feelings are neutral. I just don't understand the desire to pair up with Danielson or anyone else who might cause you to be under the microscope more than others.
Here's an interesting article from VeloNews. http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/11/news/the-confusing-case-of-tom-d…

The comments from both Levi and Tom are interesting.

Tom was under the AutoTrader.com/Toyota/Monster/Yamaha awning in Santa Clara.

The Shop

51xc
4/11/2016 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2016 7:58pm
people make mistakes in life, that surely doesn't mean they are bad humans.

i may be biased because i am a bambam fan but i also know very well how cycling has worked for over a decade. tom doesn't strike me as a bad teacher/ trainer, he may be more anti-doping at this point of his life than most trainers/ athletes that used it and never got caught.

he seems like a great addition to justins program. he obviously loves cycling and both know each other for a while now. it just makes sense. surely justin will know that those questions may come up but barcia is not one to be talked out of something he believes in.
4/11/2016 7:58pm
True, people deserve the benefit of the doubt. I've received it more than once myself. I just find it a bit strange is all. Not that they pick cycling coaches. They are incredible athletes, whether clean or not. And hopefully Danielson is anti-doping at this point.
Chains
4/11/2016 8:09pm
I knew we at vital were gonna decide when bubba has to hang up his boots. But I had no idea we could tell Barcia who he could train with.

This should be fun!

4/11/2016 8:13pm
Chains wrote:
I knew we at vital were gonna decide when bubba has to hang up his boots. But I had no idea we could tell Barcia who...
I knew we at vital were gonna decide when bubba has to hang up his boots. But I had no idea we could tell Barcia who he could train with.

This should be fun!

Better save that popcorn, nothing like that was claimed. I was trying to understand his choice is all. Sorry to disappoint you.
Mini Elsinore
4/11/2016 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2016 8:24pm
It's not as if though the OP is coming 'straight outta left field' here. I've had to cut life-long friends out of my life due to their aberrant behavior----and kicked two business partners to the curb for their professional misconduct (one of whom lost his law license over it). It was painful to separate and move on, but my OWN reputation needed to be protected. My old man used to say, "you are judged by the company you keep." That said, he's grown damn man and can do as he pleases. I'm a JB51 fan, so don't start with me about being a hater...
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
4/11/2016 8:35pm
You don't see Dungey in his yellow live strong. Gear anymore.
Excaliburbmx
4/11/2016 8:36pm
Top tier cycling has many that bend the rules and cheat the test.
Marco Pantani cheated before Armstrong it was even in his bio pic. But they wanted to out Armstrong even with him passing test.
brimx153
4/11/2016 8:49pm
Imo every pro cyclists at the Sharp end of the field is on something. It s only when tests catch up to what there taking , then someone gets busted . Then they use another drug . That doesn't show up . Again imo there has nt been a clean tour de France winner in over 20 yrs . you want to win you need to drug .
moto0852
4/11/2016 9:18pm
GuyB wrote:
It works for Justin, and he putting in some hard miles of training both before the season, and while he was out with his thumb surgery...
It works for Justin, and he putting in some hard miles of training both before the season, and while he was out with his thumb surgery.

He also rides in a series that's tested by WADA. Apparently it's not an issue for him.

What "Works for Justin"? The hanging out with a doper?
51xc
4/11/2016 9:31pm
GuyB wrote:
It works for Justin, and he putting in some hard miles of training both before the season, and while he was out with his thumb surgery...

moto0852 wrote:
believe it or not but you may work together with people that have broken the law, hell - maybe been to prison. does that make you automatically a criminal?
(I'm not saying tom is a criminal. just saying befor people trying to twist things around!!!!)
4/11/2016 9:36pm
Watch Joe Rogans podcast with Lance Armstrong to have a better.understanding of doping and cheating in sports.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/11/2016 9:53pm
GuyB wrote:

moto0852 wrote:
51xc wrote:
believe it or not but you may work together with people that have broken the law, hell - maybe been to prison. does that make you...
believe it or not but you may work together with people that have broken the law, hell - maybe been to prison. does that make you automatically a criminal?
(I'm not saying tom is a criminal. just saying befor people trying to twist things around!!!!)
I was told today, that we won't be seeing Danielson at the races with Justin again.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/11/2016 9:57pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
You don't see Dungey in his yellow live strong. Gear anymore.
Dungey hasn't been associated with Livestrong since his last contract with Nike ended.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/11/2016 10:07pm
moto0852 wrote:
What works for him? Having a skilled rider who knows how to train as a coach.

It's obviously not the part where every dimwit who thinks they're being clever gets to toss accusations his way.
51xc
4/11/2016 10:31pm
ML512 wrote:
I was told today, that we won't be seeing Danielson at the races with Justin again.
as i said in a different thread, I don't think tom is acting as bambams trainer as a aldon baker does for example, overlooking a complete program tailored for sx/mx. he is coaching justin on the bicycle because that what barcia loves to do for his endurance/ cross training. so tom being with the team at santa clara was more of a insight for danielson i would say. but obviously you hear things and i just try to pay attention to whats written in the interviews etc. but yeah, i would also understand that jgr may not want to be connected to 'doping' in any case. it's their business after all.
Mit12
4/11/2016 10:46pm
dustintlee wrote:
Anyone else think it might not be a good idea to be hanging around with Tom Danielson? Danielson, Barcia's new cycling/training/mentor/man friend guy has tested positive...
Anyone else think it might not be a good idea to be hanging around with Tom Danielson?

Danielson, Barcia's new cycling/training/mentor/man friend guy has tested positive twice for doping in pro cycling. First time, he got a reduced sentence for ratting out everyone else, inc. Lance Armstrong. Second time (last august), he was kicked from his cycling team.

Why would Barcia want to associate with this guy? There are plenty of great cyclists that didn't dope that he could train with. And do you think that Barcia will (or should) undergo more scrutiny by USADA/WADA/whatever because of his association with a multiple time cheater?

Last I heard Barcia was a grown man that has the ability to make his own decisions. Barcia knows the rules pertaining to PEDs.
51xc
4/12/2016 2:20am
different question: before tom he trained with omara. does anybody know why that stopped? i know that omara is pretty ridiculous with the workload he is asking of his athletes and some will simply overtrain. but never really read why they stopped working together.
kkawboy14
4/12/2016 2:27am
moto0852 wrote:
51xc wrote:
believe it or not but you may work together with people that have broken the law, hell - maybe been to prison. does that make you...
ML512 wrote:
Is it a strange coincidence that this is a thread today and that you were told today that he won't be under their tent anymore?
roninho
4/12/2016 4:39am
dustintlee wrote:
Anyone else think it might not be a good idea to be hanging around with Tom Danielson? Danielson, Barcia's new cycling/training/mentor/man friend guy has tested positive...

''There are plenty of great cyclist that didn't dope''.

If you look at the doping history during the timeframe of Danielson's career it will be very hard to find a cyclist from that level that has not been implicated with doping.

roninho
4/12/2016 4:43am
Mit12 wrote:
Last I heard Barcia was a grown man that has the ability to make his own decisions. Barcia knows the rules pertaining to PEDs.
Agreed.

Having said that, i would not pick a trainer that has been popped for doping twice in recent years. There are loads of good trainers out there without the doping assocation, and i'm certain also a couple who are also a good match for you personally.

What would be the reason to actually go for Danielson? Are they like longtime friends or something like that?
IWreckALot
4/12/2016 4:46am
I think the real mistake is allowing WADA/USADA into the sport. Possibly worse than letting the FIM into the sport.
kkawboy14
4/12/2016 5:06am
IWreckALot wrote:
I think the real mistake is allowing WADA/USADA into the sport. Possibly worse than letting the FIM into the sport.
^^^^^ agreed!
Rowlands
4/12/2016 5:15am
It takes two people to dope. The doper and the athlete, pretty sure BamBam isn't foolish enough to be tricked into doping.
mxdude105
4/12/2016 5:55am
Whatever happened to Antunez? He and Barcia were having great results last summer.

Post a reply to: Barcia and Tom Danielson

The Latest