Bad news out of Glen Helen

9/25/2022 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2022 8:44pm
Pure speculation at this point but doesn’t sound good.

|
captmoto
9/25/2022 12:46pm
Heat related? What the hell?
MXD
9/25/2022 12:49pm
Someone in the comments said that there was a bad crash in the 2nd 30-40+ moto.
Xeno
9/25/2022 12:53pm
Sad

The Shop

SLAPAHO
9/25/2022 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2022 1:37pm
Just text my friend that was in the race to make sure he was ok. He confirmed, said it happened on the 1st lap and that he saw it.. Bummer news..
9/25/2022 2:19pm
swordfish wrote:
Link is gone, what happened?
They had to cancel the races after the first lap of the second moto of the day (30-40 class). Not confirmed but from the comments, sounds like a rider has passed.
FWYT
9/25/2022 2:28pm
Terrible to hear. 😢
D.K.O.N.
9/25/2022 2:55pm
Anyone have any info?
Boarddesign
9/25/2022 3:58pm
It is true, there was a lot of speculation at the track. Different stories coming from different people. When we got there to sign up a young lady told us to just wait and they would announce when sign up's would re-open. She said a man had a heart attach on track and medics were with him atm.

We went back to our pit, another friend came by and said pack it up, they won't run due to the death. He then said the guy had whiskey'd over the finish and his bike got a spectator but that the rider passed away.

We had only been there 15 or so min and it answered our curiosity from moments before entering the gate. As we came in a mule stopped up front with a spectator that looked like their face was ripped off. My son was shocked at the gore and said "how did that guy get so messed up, he doesn't have gear on".

Super bummed for all involved, had a long talk with my 16 year old about the chances of dying anywhere and that maybe the last moments weren't good for the man but that he died doing what he loved.

Much prayers, love, good energy sent to the families of the two who suffered today. RIP unknown rider and healing to the man injured.
gerg
9/25/2022 4:02pm
Oh no that is awful Sad
jeffro503
9/25/2022 5:42pm
Man I hate hearing about these things. Prayers sent to all family and friends.Best sport in the worl can sometimes be the most brutal.
KAB
9/25/2022 6:23pm
I don’t post here much anymore but today my heart is shattered. Received a text that my auto technician of 10 years passed away today on his dirt bike. The family is hard working permanent resident cards from Mexico.
My technicians step dad also works at the shop and delivered the news to my Spanish speaking manager, so details were vague. Since I didn’t have any more details I thought I would check the boards. Now that I read this, Im pretty sure this is what happened to him because he always raced the SRA GP at Glen Helen in that exact class . His name was Juan Lopez, #51. He got married 5 years ago and has 2 sons. Juan was a good rider and racer. He studied his craft carefully over the past 10 years and became a very talented racer/rider. In the past 2 years he was working with his son who took up dirt bikes and Juan absolutely loved it and worked with his son who recently got on a 2 stroke 65. He just shared on instagram yesterday their day out at McCain Valley teaching his boy how to trail ride, since he was mostly just doing motocross. I haven’t been able to confirm that Juan was the rider who crashed today and so I waited to post. I post because I know how this hits home to all of us and we all want to know why, how, could it happen to me, and how can I help? It’s a reminder to us how quickly life can change and how important it is to never takes things for granted. All of us are in complete shock and disbelief. I always thought he might have a serious crash some day, all of us know that possibility, but not death. I don’t know why he whiskey throttled, that is not like him. RIP Juan Lopez, #51 and prayers to your beautiful family. A extremely sad day for all. - Keith
WhipMeister
9/25/2022 7:13pm
KAB wrote:
I don’t post here much anymore but today my heart is shattered. Received a text that my auto technician of 10 years passed away today on...
I don’t post here much anymore but today my heart is shattered. Received a text that my auto technician of 10 years passed away today on his dirt bike. The family is hard working permanent resident cards from Mexico.
My technicians step dad also works at the shop and delivered the news to my Spanish speaking manager, so details were vague. Since I didn’t have any more details I thought I would check the boards. Now that I read this, Im pretty sure this is what happened to him because he always raced the SRA GP at Glen Helen in that exact class . His name was Juan Lopez, #51. He got married 5 years ago and has 2 sons. Juan was a good rider and racer. He studied his craft carefully over the past 10 years and became a very talented racer/rider. In the past 2 years he was working with his son who took up dirt bikes and Juan absolutely loved it and worked with his son who recently got on a 2 stroke 65. He just shared on instagram yesterday their day out at McCain Valley teaching his boy how to trail ride, since he was mostly just doing motocross. I haven’t been able to confirm that Juan was the rider who crashed today and so I waited to post. I post because I know how this hits home to all of us and we all want to know why, how, could it happen to me, and how can I help? It’s a reminder to us how quickly life can change and how important it is to never takes things for granted. All of us are in complete shock and disbelief. I always thought he might have a serious crash some day, all of us know that possibility, but not death. I don’t know why he whiskey throttled, that is not like him. RIP Juan Lopez, #51 and prayers to your beautiful family. A extremely sad day for all. - Keith
I am so sorry. So very sad.
sumdood
9/25/2022 9:14pm
Oh no not another one. Sometimes I don't know if this dirt bike obsession we all share is a blessing or a curse. RIP moto brother. Prayers out to his family, I can't imagine what they're going through right now.
Also hope the injured spectator recovers. Based on Boarddesings post that didn't sound good either.
Very sad day for the moto community. RIP Sad
mattyhamz2
9/25/2022 9:39pm
My prayers are with everyone involved in this today. This is the worst part of our sport. I really hope the spectator involved has a full recovery as well.
RIP moto brother.
Boomslang
9/25/2022 9:44pm
Sad news indeed. May he RIP and condolences to all family and friends.

Also wishing a speedy recovery to the spectator.

Pit Row

daemon666
9/25/2022 11:46pm
The link doesn't work, odd.
chuckie108
9/26/2022 12:21am
I was there today and in that race. I didn’t see the crash. We came into the section of the track where he was down, and they red flagged us off. They were doing CPR on the poor guy and I could tell by the panic in their faces and body english that things were grave. The story I heard was he went super long on the step up after the hip jump, bounced his head off the cross bar(possibly losing consciousness) and then whisky over the velodrome turn and into the REM side. Somehow his bike also hit a spectator as it was tumbling. This area is clearly marked off limits to spectators so I don’t know how that happened. Horrible deal none the less and truly hope that guy fully recovers. Really drives home the point that our sport can be extremely dangerous, and don’t take anything for granted. Godspeed Motobrother, and I sincerely hope his wife, kids and family make it through this awful situation. I hugged my wife and kids a bit extra tonight.
kawasa84
9/26/2022 1:13am
So sad to hear this. My condolences to his family. R.I.P. fellow moto brother. I also want to wish for a full recovery for the spectator, even if that person was in an unauthorized area.
daemon666
9/26/2022 4:08am
chuckie108 wrote:
I was there today and in that race. I didn’t see the crash. We came into the section of the track where he was down, and...
I was there today and in that race. I didn’t see the crash. We came into the section of the track where he was down, and they red flagged us off. They were doing CPR on the poor guy and I could tell by the panic in their faces and body english that things were grave. The story I heard was he went super long on the step up after the hip jump, bounced his head off the cross bar(possibly losing consciousness) and then whisky over the velodrome turn and into the REM side. Somehow his bike also hit a spectator as it was tumbling. This area is clearly marked off limits to spectators so I don’t know how that happened. Horrible deal none the less and truly hope that guy fully recovers. Really drives home the point that our sport can be extremely dangerous, and don’t take anything for granted. Godspeed Motobrother, and I sincerely hope his wife, kids and family make it through this awful situation. I hugged my wife and kids a bit extra tonight.
I see this as a reminder for armchair racers in this sport as fans. All these critics don't realize how gnarly it is. I wish they would keep their opinions to themselves. I have nothing but respect for people who race/ride. I wish more people would think about it before talking trash.
philG
9/26/2022 6:54am
We had a couple of incidents like this in the past year.. at the same track, one rider had a stroke while racing and another a heart attack in the pits... sadly it seems to be on the increase .

One recovered, one was sadly lost, it happens, but there are always people who read ' prohibited area' signs as ' prohibited area, apart from me, just this once'.

We accept the risk when we ride, RIP to the fallen rider, and thoughts with his family.

KAB
9/26/2022 7:27am
Juan was so excited last November when his son Ricardo got to meet Jett Lawrence at Hondas test track. Honda wanted to film a commercial using young kids who ride Honda’s (Juan had gotten his son Ricardo a Honda 110 and was teaching him to ride and he was a natural.) Through some industry connections they invited Juan and Ricardo out to do the filming. Jett is Ricardo’s favorite rider and he was thrilled. In the pictures, Juan is the one giving the thumbs up. Juan was so excited for the MXoN and he talked my ear off about it all this month about how excited he was for America and what he felt was going to be certain victory.

yak651
9/26/2022 7:47am
Man those pictures really make it hit home. Often see post about accidents and you take a look and move on but these pictures really make me sad for his son (who was most likely watching his hero/dad race that day) and the rest of his family and friends. Be safe out there moto friends, RIP Juan 😢
TeamGreen
9/26/2022 7:57am
For those of you sharing the stories of Juan & his family…

Thank you.

Prayers to him and his family.
KennyT
9/26/2022 8:41am
This is heartbreaking….prayers for all who knew this wonderful man
1975api2488
9/26/2022 8:50am
Juan was a great guy.
I first met him years ago at Pala when he first started riding. He would come out and race CALVMX in those days.
I had a string of bad luck with rods breaking on bikes,
Woke up in the hospital on the last one, hung up the riding boots for 3 years.
Got back in to riding and saw Juan at Barona, we reconnected and would text “ Barona today?”
By this time he could ride.
We would text back and forth about bike settings and suspension etc.
He would send me video of his boy riding and pictures of them.
He was a great guy, he was always happy as can be every time I saw him.
He was really into the sport and never missed a day to ride.
RIP to my riding friend.
And prayers to his wife and kids.
jenssog
9/26/2022 9:22am
Is there a Gofundme or something like it to help the family?

Post a reply to: Bad news out of Glen Helen

The Latest

The Latest