Bad news out of Baja Acres.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2019 5:30 PM

|

6/23/2019 5:32 PM

Damn sad. RIP young man and condolences to family and friends.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

6/23/2019 5:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2019 5:53 PM

Motocross, the love and hate sport. 15....no words.

RIP young man. Good luck to his family dealing with this.

|

In my 60’s and still loving dirt scoots up here in the frozen north.

2021 Husky 501s

6/23/2019 5:54 PM

Damn....

GODSPEED young man.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

6/23/2019 5:58 PM

Damn, I think we lost a young man there a few years ago also..

|

6/23/2019 8:21 PM

R.I.P. prayers to the family

|

6/23/2019 8:53 PM

Mysteriously, the track was maintained to a much better standard today.

His Moto was late in the day Saturday. Track was hammered. I was just a couple motos before that 450B Moto. I was trackside cheering on a buddy who was running 8th at the time. Red flag came out, saw a crowd start to gather. I switched vantage points and saw something that really got to me. I saw atleast 4 people switch out compression sessions. They were still at work from on the track to into the squad. About 15-20 minutes later, the bird showed up. 10 minutes later, it left. Shortly after I headed to the store and out at the gate sat about 8 sheriff's, as well as abc news. The lady at the gate told me no one was put on the bird, so I knew it was as bad as it looked. My buddy pretty much saw it happen. Sounded like he fell in a relatively "flat" section (this didn't happen on some big jump like the last one), but the bumps were 3-4' tall. Riders behind him were carrying momentum jumping through the whoops. I cant imagine.

What I saw and what happened definitely hit me. Was sketched out every time I hit the track after that. I had no realistic chance of getting a top 6 after my headcase 2nd Moto this morning, so I bailed before my 3rd Moto.

This goes back to the chest thumping "let it get rough". Where do we draw the line? This came up on a local forum, and I'll say the same thing here. 19 years ago when I raced Loretta's, the tracks got rough, but not this freakin rough. We had much less horse power that just plain old didn't dig these holes. Little Ricky McStewart likely will never be a pro. Hell, 99% of riders at that regional will never "make" it. Why "let it get so rough" when the risk is so great. That mentality left a family without a son. Now I know, there are many many variables, but why purposely increase the potential for catastrophe. We will never understand the big man's plans. This is NOT a dig at the promoter. Baja is a phenomenal place. They run a great program. It's just this messed up mentality of "it has to be super rough". Most times I hear that, it's either from experienced pros, or chest thumpers who don't or hardly even ride. Again, so many variables. I'm just venting because what I saw definitely threw me for a loop.

For anyone that may know this family, I pray that the family will eventually find peace. I don't know them, but I think I speak for everyone whos on this forum, if we as a Moto family can do anything, please reach out..

|

6/23/2019 9:25 PM

Damn. Condolences to the family. Just awful.

|

6/23/2019 9:43 PM

It gets so sad seeing the sport I love most , take people , especially kids. God speed young ripper!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

6/23/2019 11:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2019 11:22 PM

Rip moto brother, I’ve road Baja acres and although it’s a real deal track it’s also one of the coolest to get around! Hopefully this isn’t to much of a scar on the reputation they established so far! Prayers for the family and friends of this racer💪

|

6/23/2019 11:22 PM

Prayers for the entire family, friends and anyone that had to witness what happened. RIP young man.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/24/2019 12:18 AM

It breaks my heart to hear of any kid losing his life at such a young age. I pray for all his loved ones, especially the parents and siblings...their life has been changed forever. Prayers launched and RIP our moto friend.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

6/24/2019 1:15 AM

R.I.P. little dude.

|

6/24/2019 2:20 AM

Heartbreaking news to hear. Feel awful someone so young with their whole life in front of them died participating in the sport we love. His family has to be devastated. It’ll never be “ok” for them, but I hope they have lots of support to help them get through this terrible accident.

|

6/24/2019 3:00 AM

Its getting tough seeing news article after news article of motorcyclists dying. It seems to be bad this year.

|

6/24/2019 3:25 AM

Meister wrote:

His Moto was late in the day Saturday. Track was ...more

Incredibly sad. Didn’t someone die at Portland within the last year or two?

Tracks getting rough as ever and larger scale accidents start happening. Not good for anyone.

Was the whole track a whoops section ? I stayed home this weekend.

|

6/24/2019 3:29 AM

Meister wrote:

My opinion is that rougher tracks keep the speed down.

|

6/24/2019 3:41 AM

My condolences to the family. 😥

|

6/24/2019 4:17 AM

Cases like this is something I think about often. Is there anything we can do to lesson the risks of a bad outcome? There are many variables that come into play but there is one area we can focus on - the marshalling.

I reflect back to Alessi getting run over, he was out front, went down hard and got pounded by the back. In my opinion, it was a good thing he was down and stayed down. It's better getting over on the ground opposed to getting hit standing up.

There is one area that can help better the chances of a downed rider and that falls into the hands of the flaggers. Flaggers are often volunteers with not much experience as a rider. These guys get a couple of bucks and a free lunch to wave a flag, they are often distracted by the racing instead of focusing on their designated section for marshalling.

I have marshalled plenty over the years and the has been times that I have run from our pit to get to the marshal to take his flag away as he just stands

there waving the flag. I've gone onto the track, in traffic to wave riders to the opposite side of the track in relation to the downed rider,

More marshals with a thorough understanding of the sport working together to serve and protect and they need to execute with speed...getting into position to divert the traffic as quickly as possible, away and around the downed rider is the best chance at preventing further injuries to the said fallen rider.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

6/24/2019 4:45 AM

cody41 wrote:

I grew up racing Baja and I always thought the same thing. Usually the lap times increase. Who knows. Terribly tragic. Pat and his family are awesome Moto people. My heart goes out to them all. May peace reign over his family and friends. God speed Ryder!

|

6/24/2019 6:26 AM

Boomslang wrote:

Cases like this is something I think about often. Is there anything we can do to lesson the risks of a bad outcome? There are ...more

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

6/24/2019 6:33 AM

Damn, we've been out of moto for almost ten years now, and these posts always make me sick to my stomach. Godspeed young man and prayers for family & friends.

|

6/24/2019 7:09 AM

Damn, I hate seeing this stuff. RIP young man, and condolences to the family and everyone affected by this. I won't debate track prep in this thread.

|

6/24/2019 7:13 AM

Meister wrote:

cody41 wrote:

I agree to an extent. At a regional these kids can go fast on ANYTHING though. One tiny mess up, your swapped out or on the ground. Kid was top 10 in B. He was fast. He knew how to ride. The riders around him were also very talented, going very fast. A super rough track just leaves less room for error, am I wrong? It may slow it down a little, but bigger mistakes happen more often.

|

6/24/2019 7:16 AM

Meister wrote:

I completely agree. I was the 3rd to last moto of the day (30+) and I ran practice and the first moto. After the first moto I knew I had no business racing and loaded up. I'm glad I did. Especially after what happened to that kid and after breaking my humerus back in January which also killed my confidence on sand tracks as well. Also, not to toot my own horn but I have won a few A, B, and C class races throughout my life so I know I can ride a bike decently.

On the topic of how rough Baja is, (IMO), no track should be that rough and this "rough mentality" definitely caused this wreck and many others this week. I talked to "compound kids" and "compound parents" and some other nationally accomplished A and vet riders and they all were struggling greatly with the track. Most of them said they can literally barely ride a lap, let alone "race" a lap. A lot of them also said why should we have to ride on this to get to Loretta's as Loretta's is no where near this rough nor could it ever be. I just hope they stop this non-sense and start grooming the tracks more when conditions have become stupid gnarly. I think Baja is a great track but I think any place that is that soft with that many riders and as much rain as they have gotten lately should be grooming the track very frequently that way straight-aways don't look like they've had non-stop mortar bombs on them all day. Condolences to the rider's family and friends, I can't imagine. Anybody no where I can find a donation page/gofundme for the family?

|

6/24/2019 7:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2019 7:21 AM

nascarnate326 wrote:

Incredibly sad. Didn’t someone die at Portland within the last year or two?

Tracks getting rough as ever and larger scale ...more

Portland as in PIR and Thursday Night Motocross? If that's what you're referring to, that was not from a riding incident. That was from a fight in the parking lot.

|

6/24/2019 7:28 AM

I've never raced the regional at Baja but I have raced the Brawl. The track gets so rough from the sheer speed of some of these guys out there on top of them watering the crap out of it.

I felt like a total squid that could barely ride a lap at speed(Baja is what I would consider my home track BTW).

The bottom of the ski jump had braking bumps like I had never seen in my life. Carzy.

Very sad to lose another racer so young. RIP.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

6/24/2019 7:28 AM

RIP to the young man, and prayers go up for his family that they may have the strength to endure this tragedy.

|

6/24/2019 7:29 AM

Incredible sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. RIP.

|

6/24/2019 7:56 AM

Meister wrote:

I heard it was really nasty as to what happened to him and how he looked.
really shook a lot of people up.

Terrible.

I personally think the rougher the safer - it's harder to go fast and speed is what is getting us hurt

Bikes are WAY too fast now days - and your right about that.
All the rules keep moving forward with power - rather than backwards. It's doing us no good long term.

What a disaster for his family and friends. Prayers and best wishes for everyone involved. If any good of this is possible - it's discussions that can progress us to a safer future.

|