Bad news on Alta

mx 219
Fantasy
974th
10/19/2018 11:46am
731chopper wrote:
Noise is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to losing tracks and open land to ride on. It gets targeted the most because...
Noise is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to losing tracks and open land to ride on. It gets targeted the most because it is the low hanging fruit, especially with 4-strokes. Land owner liability, soil erosion, decrease in public land allowing operation of motor vehicles, increase in land value as metropolitan areas expand, etc. are all part of the problem as well.

The idea that electric bikes will open up all of these riding opportunities is a pipe dream in my opinion. For people that have a few acres and don't want to upset your neighbors, that is awesome and I'd be all over it but that is a small niche of us and we're already a very niche sport.
I agree that noise isn't all of the problem. The bigger problem may be sight. I'm looking to buy some land in the next few years and when I do I will have the perimeter surrounded by trees and also have the track surrounded by trees. If people can't see it and can't hear it it's awfully hard to complain about.

Getting some Altas will help with this too, may not need as much land to reduce noise.
Moto96
10/19/2018 11:46am
731chopper wrote:
Noise is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to losing tracks and open land to ride on. It gets targeted the most because...
Noise is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to losing tracks and open land to ride on. It gets targeted the most because it is the low hanging fruit, especially with 4-strokes. Land owner liability, soil erosion, decrease in public land allowing operation of motor vehicles, increase in land value as metropolitan areas expand, etc. are all part of the problem as well.

The idea that electric bikes will open up all of these riding opportunities is a pipe dream in my opinion. For people that have a few acres and don't want to upset your neighbors, that is awesome and I'd be all over it but that is a small niche of us and we're already a very niche sport.
Its more dust. Ask the neighbors.
Also, Noise isnt bad. A Harley is loud, and annoying as hell same as some crappy car with a wing and no muffler.. A Ferrari is loud, and people love it. Nobody is bitching at a guy in a Berlinetta V12.

4 stroke noise is annoying. Not sure why, but compared to two strokes, it is. Not sure if its the tone, or pitch, or what, but its not "Loud" or Noise" that piss people off.

Tenacious P
10/19/2018 12:44pm
I'd be really bummed had I just bought one...

But i'm 3-5 years out on my next bike and once the Japanese ramp up this technology things are going to get interesting/affordable.

Being first-to-market usually comes with very high cost. (I know... Zero and KTM... but the ALTA MX seemed to be on a whole other level)
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/19/2018 1:02pm
Can't believe all the negativity on Alta.

I am an absolute engine geek to to point that it's become my career, and I don't want to see the whole sport go electric, but I have no problem with them being around. I'd love to own one alongside side my 4st and 2st bikes so I can choose to ride whatever I feel like. There are "less than legal" area where you're chased out of on a loud ICE bike, but no one would ever even know you were there on an EV.

As the racing rules and regulations around electric bikes become more solidified and we figure out how to make sure the playing field remains even between ICE and EVs I hope to be able to watch some more technological competition in the pro ranks, which will trickle down into our bikes.

The Shop

10/19/2018 2:26pm
I have been telling everyone that asks for at least a year that my next new bike will be an Alta as soon as they are available in Australia. ....guess I am going to have to find a different bike to buy next now.......cunts.
make1go
10/19/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2018 6:33pm
RCF wrote:
How could an E Bike only company sustain itself on a bike that doesn't need parts, the major motorcycle companies make a fortune off of selling...
How could an E Bike only company sustain itself on a bike that doesn't need parts, the major motorcycle companies make a fortune off of selling parts , probably far more money than selling the actual bike.
make1go wrote:
and hence the demise of 500cc 2stroke last for years and cost peanuts to rebuild... and therefore the so called 4t revolution, break a rod, lunch...
and hence the demise of 500cc 2stroke last for years and cost peanuts to rebuild...

and therefore the so called 4t revolution, break a rod, lunch the mtr, to the tune of 1000s...

and who allowed this to happen?

yeah
scott_nz wrote:
The 500 two stroke died because no one brought them ,
if you think their longevity wasnt a part of their demise your crackers..

or do you deny they are the lowest cost mx engine to maintain?

consider where theyd be with the 20 yrs of 4t development..
you could tune them as low end monsters or top end big hp screamers and everything in between..
and they could still only cost a few hundred dollars to fully rebuild...

why was alta held out..coombes and the big oems who own him..
make1go
10/19/2018 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2018 6:45pm
731chopper wrote:

Moto96 wrote:
Its more dust. Ask the neighbors. Also, Noise isnt bad. A Harley is loud, and annoying as hell same as some crappy car with a wing...
Also, Noise isnt bad. A Harley is loud, and annoying as hell same as some crappy car with a wing and no muffler.. A Ferrari is loud, and people love it. Nobody is bitching at a guy in a Berlinetta V12.

4 stroke noise is annoying. Not sure why, but compared to two strokes, it is. Not sure if its the tone, or pitch, or what, but its not "Loud" or Noise" that piss people off.

bass frequemcies travel much further and are much harder to stop than high frequencies.

a 450 4t sound probably travels twice the distant a 125 2t does and the 4 t penetrates walls.

its fcking hilarious to read these bozos who relate the noise to their masculinity...and thats what it is..

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
10/19/2018 8:46pm
make1go wrote:
if you think their longevity wasnt a part of their demise your crackers.. or do you deny they are the lowest cost mx engine to maintain...
if you think their longevity wasnt a part of their demise your crackers..

or do you deny they are the lowest cost mx engine to maintain?

consider where theyd be with the 20 yrs of 4t development..
you could tune them as low end monsters or top end big hp screamers and everything in between..
and they could still only cost a few hundred dollars to fully rebuild...

why was alta held out..coombes and the big oems who own him..
I Don’t disagree that they outlasted anything in motors , not so much on brake pads or tyres tho

They did not sell in numbers to make them viable , Suzuki gave up in 85 , Yamaha stopped spending money on them in 86, kawi 89 And Honda 91 , not even Ktm who make money on smaller production numbers , gave up on 500s in the early 90s and even gave up on the 380 15 years ago
10/19/2018 10:22pm
Weird to see how slow any progression with ebikes has been in motocross, I don't get it....why are moto people so resistant to innovation and progress?
10/19/2018 10:49pm
Weird to see how slow any progression with ebikes has been in motocross, I don't get it....why are moto people so resistant to innovation and progress?
Because they like their gas powered bikes? You’ll never change everyone over, just like some people still won’t buy a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. Why do people have to want to ride e-bikes? I hate to bring up the RC car reference again, but nitro cars are a total pain in the ass compared to electric, yet people still race them because they are way more exciting and just plain cooler.
10/19/2018 10:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2018 10:54pm
Double post
AK74
10/20/2018 12:19am
So it turns out that jumping the chasm [between early adopters and the early majority] is hard on an Alta.

That’s a real shame.
keinz
10/20/2018 6:36am
The same fate awaits Tesla. Stamp it.
keinz
10/20/2018 6:54am
Which one you prefer for the cheaper or the same price? Tesla or H600, made in China, and designed by Pininfarina the most famous car design company ever?

newmann
10/20/2018 8:51am
Who exactly is so resistant? If it was so great and exciting wouldn’t there be all kinds of new people flocking around? It’s neat, it’s cool and yet has no soul. We like our gas powered bikes and some of us like to tinker with shit. Some of us 2 stroke fan boys even like a proper 4 stroke....like this one here in front of me at this very moment. How f’n cool is this little nickel plated framed , worked over 350 Honda street tracker?

Johnny Depp
10/20/2018 9:01am
It's rumored by unknown sources over the internet that Pierer Industrie AG of Austria has opened negotiations to purchase interest in Alta Motors. Stefan Pierer CEO...
It's rumored by unknown sources over the internet that Pierer Industrie AG of Austria has opened negotiations to purchase interest in Alta Motors.

Stefan Pierer CEO for Pierer Industrie AG (pictured below) Company spokesman said Mr Stefan Pierer is vacationing in Brisbane, Ca. and could not be reached for comment.

Now that I have spread this info around the net, I realize it might possibly be a very nicely put together epic troll. I hope not..

As far as no interest, let them bring back an Open class and drop the production rule, and this sport will see a major resurgence that will rise all tides, 2t, 4t and e-bikes. Settle it on the track.
hoppsan
10/20/2018 9:18am
newmann wrote:
Who exactly is so resistant? If it was so great and exciting wouldn’t there be all kinds of new people flocking around? It’s neat, it’s cool...
Who exactly is so resistant? If it was so great and exciting wouldn’t there be all kinds of new people flocking around? It’s neat, it’s cool and yet has no soul. We like our gas powered bikes and some of us like to tinker with shit. Some of us 2 stroke fan boys even like a proper 4 stroke....like this one here in front of me at this very moment. How f’n cool is this little nickel plated framed , worked over 350 Honda street tracker?

newmann, your vintage bikes are super-cool but you sure are the amish of vitalmx. Laughing
reded
10/20/2018 9:47am
newmann wrote:
Who exactly is so resistant? If it was so great and exciting wouldn’t there be all kinds of new people flocking around? It’s neat, it’s cool...

hoppsan wrote:
newmann, your vintage bikes are super-cool but you sure are the amish of vitalmx. Laughing
Some days I envy the simplicity of the Amish just as much or more than I do Newmanns collection of old iron.
Johnny Depp
10/20/2018 10:33am
Ty Tremaine is not on the Alta tonight. He was most likely on the payroll more so than Durham doing some one-off rides. Apparently there was a few people that knew this was coming and moved quickly to find a ride/rider. I am jazzed to see him on the Beta, but honestly wanted the Alta to have a top notch pilot all season.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpKVA1OhD4l/?taken-by=cyclenews

newmann
10/20/2018 10:38am
newmann wrote:

hoppsan wrote:
Morning truckload score. Number 29...hmmmm. Can start my own Amish wheelie boy gang.

JM485
10/20/2018 10:48am
newmann wrote:

What the hell are you talking about saying it has no soul? You ever met anyone from this company? You really think Hondas have more of a soul than bike designed and produced by a small startup comprised of motorcycle enthusiasts? Alta sponsors lesser known types of racing, provided Ty Tremain a factory ride for endurocross, and do more than any other manufacturer to give you a chance to try their bikes out before buying. What does Honda do? JACK SHIT. Give me one manufacturer who did as many cool projects and provided as good of media content and rider interaction as Alta, I'll wait. . .

Look, I love my two strokes as much as anyone, but some of you guys are just out of control shooting down anything that's not an outdated turd with a spaghetti frame. Altas made two strokes look like overcomplicated Goldburg machines by mechanical comparison, there's no denying that.
plowboy
10/20/2018 11:06am
newmann wrote:

There's no way I could ride that bike Newman...my erection would prevent any comfortable riding position.Woohoo
newmann
10/20/2018 11:25am
newmann wrote:

JM485 wrote:
What the hell are you talking about saying it has no soul? You ever met anyone from this company? You really think Hondas have more of...
What the hell are you talking about saying it has no soul? You ever met anyone from this company? You really think Hondas have more of a soul than bike designed and produced by a small startup comprised of motorcycle enthusiasts? Alta sponsors lesser known types of racing, provided Ty Tremain a factory ride for endurocross, and do more than any other manufacturer to give you a chance to try their bikes out before buying. What does Honda do? JACK SHIT. Give me one manufacturer who did as many cool projects and provided as good of media content and rider interaction as Alta, I'll wait. . .

Look, I love my two strokes as much as anyone, but some of you guys are just out of control shooting down anything that's not an outdated turd with a spaghetti frame. Altas made two strokes look like overcomplicated Goldburg machines by mechanical comparison, there's no denying that.
It’s all about that sound, the sound of nothingness. The e-car and the F1 vid posted earlier sums it all up. Get it it’s own class and let it thrive. I already said I am a potential buyer.
BAMX
10/20/2018 11:33am
The main thing holding e bikes back is the batteries. Can you ride an Alta full out for the same length of time that you can ride a 450 and then be refueled and ready to go again in a minute? Do you need to bring a generator to ride for 5 hours on your 450? Can you run out on an Alta and get a quick splash from a buddy to get back to the truck?
CozMan
10/20/2018 11:38am
Because they like their gas powered bikes? You’ll never change everyone over, just like some people still won’t buy a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke...
Because they like their gas powered bikes? You’ll never change everyone over, just like some people still won’t buy a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. Why do people have to want to ride e-bikes? I hate to bring up the RC car reference again, but nitro cars are a total pain in the ass compared to electric, yet people still race them because they are way more exciting and just plain cooler.
truth.
Ran RC nitros with my brother, got pissy cause they were a PIA and bought an e-trug.
Was helping him at the track at a race, and 20 nitros were firing up under the driver's stand and I told him "My e-trug is easier to mess with, but there's virtually no excitement without the noise,smell, smoke of nitro."

I would buy an ALTA as soon as they were affordable, but I do agree that at the end of the day, they'll absolutely ruin the whole atmosphere of competitive racing.

Wasn't it GM that said they were no longer going to build IC engines by 2025? I'm telling ya - the days of any sort of IC motorcycle are numbered. We literally have less than a decade of the sounds of motorcycles roaring off the start - pretty soon it will be the whirr of batteries. Once the tech gets cheaper, the OEMs will start making them, push their factory riders onto them, and you can turn out the lights.
Johnny Depp
10/20/2018 11:49am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2018 11:50am
BAMX wrote:
The main thing holding e bikes back is the batteries. Can you ride an Alta full out for the same length of time that you can...
The main thing holding e bikes back is the batteries. Can you ride an Alta full out for the same length of time that you can ride a 450 and then be refueled and ready to go again in a minute? Do you need to bring a generator to ride for 5 hours on your 450? Can you run out on an Alta and get a quick splash from a buddy to get back to the truck?
Truth. Battery or Motor overheating is a real issue as yet unresolved. Anyone with no talent can overheat a motor by running down the freeway at 70 mph for a few minutes. A Pro MX'er can overheat a battery in very few hot laps depending on the conditions, sand is the worse. Most of us mortals could run around a track no problem, and we would be tired before the bike. Pro's require battery changes due to heat between practice and moto's, not because they are out of charge, but because they can't cool sufficiently. Even average folks bring wet towels and fans and park in the shade to try to keep them cool while charging for the next moto.

There are cooling solutions available, but require major redesign and cost. It's good enough for weekend warriors for MX, but not good enough for Pro's yet without major support. You can't even buy a spare battery at this point, none available. If KTM brings in development dollars that could take it to another level. At this point, this is likely why you didn't see Alta fighting too hard for homologation, it was better to be the underdog than actually put it on the track for 30 minutes and be embarrassed.
tkimb
10/20/2018 11:50am
Moto96 wrote:
Its more dust. Ask the neighbors. Also, Noise isnt bad. A Harley is loud, and annoying as hell same as some crappy car with a wing...

It's also the amount of noise in numbers though. Every 4 stroke race bike is loud as hell. The fact that there's probably 5000 idiots with no exhaust on their civic for every 1 Ferrari around has something to do with people not minding the Ferrari.
Also from what I've heard from track owners is the 4 stroke noise carries further is the problem (at least that's what the complaining neighbors argue). 2 strokes are loud too but the pitch of the 4 stroke is heard further away.

Keep race cars etc. gas, make everyday cars electric.
Alex.434
10/20/2018 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2018 1:45pm
I think one of my favorite things about working in marketing in the motorcycling industry for a decade was constantly watching a small, niche, group of enthusiasts constantly tear themselves apart.

Forget the non-motorcycling public, we do a fantastic job of shitting all over each other. Ride a Harley? Get fucked. Oh you are into crotch rockets? Squid! Motobro? Grow up 909'er. Hipster ass on the hooligan bike cut your hair. Yo electric company, you have no soul eat shit. AND SO ON.

Motorcycling in the United States is a dying industry and partly because the people that partake in it barely muster support for the one tiny discipline they might enjoy, and then have a good time turning their noses up to the rest.

Sad to watch.

I work in the video game / esports industry now, which is MASSIVE beyond belief, and most of the people I work with from pro players to industry workers look at me like I'm a throwback caveman because I ride motorcycles.

My garage has two strokes, four strokes, dual sports, roadracers, supermotos, mx bikes, and trials bikes in it, and they all are a damn good time to ride. I got to ride Alta's a bit, and they too were fantastically fun motorcycles that perfectly fit the needs for many riders.

Sad day for the industry and all those who worked hard on the Alta team (many of which I know). I've decided to drive up to Straight Rhythm tonight because 1) I love two strokes and 2) I wanna root on the Alta team one more time, many of which are there, without pay, helping Darryn out.

Respect.

Post a reply to: Bad news on Alta

The Latest