Bad news on Alta

Suns_PSD
10/18/2018 11:18am
When I finally replace the '13 KTM 2 stroke, I will definitely go electric. I just assumed it would be Alta.

Totally rad technology and bikes. Sorry to see this happen. Sad
NorCal 50+
10/18/2018 11:29am
They were pushing the street side of electric, which is where the real potential resides. California state government is pumping millions and millions into electric car infrastructure subsidies. Alta should get in on that game.
38special
10/18/2018 11:32am
RCF wrote:
How could an E Bike only company sustain itself on a bike that doesn't need parts, the major motorcycle companies make a fortune off of selling...
How could an E Bike only company sustain itself on a bike that doesn't need parts, the major motorcycle companies make a fortune off of selling parts , probably far more money than selling the actual bike.
This is probably not a direct cause of the shut-down, but this is a really good point that I hadn't thought about.

The Shop

Johnny Depp
10/18/2018 11:32am
10 pager.

After Ty Tremaine podiumed at Endurocross too, timing sucks they are on a roll.
10/18/2018 11:37am
How is the future of an already small market sport going to "progress" more by alienating these key sponsors that make this sport click:

Pro circuit
FMF
Twin Air
Moto Tassinari
Boyesen
Vertex
Wiseco
Silkolene
Bel-ray
Rekluse

Among many, many others. I don't for see many of those companies getting into battery sales. I do think it's laughable that some of y'all think regardless of how quiet a bike is that all of the sudden tracks are going to pop up in the city, that shit ain't gonna happen.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/18/2018 11:41am
How is the future of an already small market sport going to "progress" more by alienating these key sponsors that make this sport click: Pro circuit...
How is the future of an already small market sport going to "progress" more by alienating these key sponsors that make this sport click:

Pro circuit
FMF
Twin Air
Moto Tassinari
Boyesen
Vertex
Wiseco
Silkolene
Bel-ray
Rekluse

Among many, many others. I don't for see many of those companies getting into battery sales. I do think it's laughable that some of y'all think regardless of how quiet a bike is that all of the sudden tracks are going to pop up in the city, that shit ain't gonna happen.
Your last sentence is something I have been saying since the Alta was released. What is the biggest complaint other than noise when it comes to bikes? DUST! It seems like people forget that part
10/18/2018 11:57am
How is the future of an already small market sport going to "progress" more by alienating these key sponsors that make this sport click: Pro circuit...

Pro circuit
FMF
Twin Air
Moto Tassinari
Boyesen
Vertex
Wiseco
Silkolene
Bel-ray
Rekluse

Yeah electric RC cars have ZERO aftermarket
JM485
10/18/2018 12:27pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Sad news for the owners and employees.
Really can't get myself to say it's a sad news for the sport in any way.
Are you kidding me, this is horrible news for everyone. You guys need to pull your head out if your ass and realize what these guys achieved and were set to bring to this industry. They produced a bike that was absolutely lethal on the track, required almost no maintenance, and was a much more elegant solution to the age old problem of going faster around a motocross track than anything on the market. This was a bike that any layman could own hassle free, and was infinitely tunable for riders of all skill levels. No need to go buy a new bike after you outgrow your 125 or 250f, just bump up to a higher map and presto, totally new bike. No top ends to change, no air filters, and a total parts list of probably half of anything else on the market. That is textbook improvement on all fronts, there’s no way anyone can even begin to deny that.

Not to mention, you also had a company that was investing in and using unique approaches to marketing. When the AMA wouldn’t let them race, they didn’t sit in their asses and do nothing until they got approved, they went out and raced endurocross, straight rhythm, hillclimb, went freeriding, etc. The put out great content, made their bikes more accessible for people to demo than any other brand, and were receptive to customer feedback rather than telling them to stick it like the big 6. Is that really not a loss to some people? I mean seriously? An American made dirtbike set to turn the industry on its head and its not a loss to the moto community, I don’t even know what to say. . .
GODZILLA
10/18/2018 12:51pm
Sorry, you can call me a dinosaur, no problem, but I absolutely HATE the idea of having to ride an electric bike.
I like changing filters, changing top ends, ported cylinders or heads, I like cone pipes and Ti collectors, smelling gas, I like using a clutch and gears, I love the sound of real engines, not that horrible whistling tune...
I have a hard time believing I'm the only one.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/18/2018 12:58pm
If you like the idea that motocross and off road are sports the general markets should see as worth investing in, this is not a good signal to those folks.
aeffertz
10/18/2018 1:11pm
I know the thumbs up and down don’t mean anything but it makes me wonder about the mindset of the person that disagrees with all these posts. sad news indeed, I definitely didn’t see this coming so quick since it seemed like they only ever had positive reviews. I guess the high price tag and no where to race them kinda made it hard. Didn’t they win a title in EuroX or something?
GODZILLA
10/18/2018 1:15pm
If so many people agreed with all these posts, Alta would be doing fine.
10/18/2018 1:16pm
That sucks to learn... some great bikes, some great talent and an even greater vision.
10/18/2018 1:18pm
aeffertz wrote:
I know the thumbs up and down don’t mean anything but it makes me wonder about the mindset of the person that disagrees with all these...
I know the thumbs up and down don’t mean anything but it makes me wonder about the mindset of the person that disagrees with all these posts. sad news indeed, I definitely didn’t see this coming so quick since it seemed like they only ever had positive reviews. I guess the high price tag and no where to race them kinda made it hard. Didn’t they win a title in EuroX or something?
You mean the RonnieMac Jr’ mindset? The price is my only hold up at the moment. With a new bike already in the garage (pre Alta riding experience, else it’d definitely had been a MXR) momma (wife for all you RonnieMac Jr keyboard commmandos) bear wouldn’t take to well if I got another one so soon.

As far as the niche of having no where to race them, I’d venture to say that’s kinda irrelevant. Go ask KTM. I think they’ve made more money on 350 and 2T sales that there stand MX 250/450, last article I read. But I do see the point you’re trying to make.

I really hope they succeed and get backed!
DoctorJD
10/18/2018 1:25pm
I have two nice large acreage areas available to me within 10 minutes of my house, but I can't ride there because there are neighbors on either side and there would certainly be issues with noise. If not with the law, then there'd be bad vibes between the land owner and his neighbors. The closest place I can ride (my YZ) is almost an hour away. If I had an Alta (or equivalent) those two large areas immediately become available to me. THIS is why Altas are a viable option.
aeffertz
10/18/2018 1:30pm
Rumors floating around that Alta has been acquired. More news coming next week.Cheerful
I wouldn’t be surprised at all. I forget the name of the company that originally backed them, I’m just curious as to why they backed out.
peltier626
10/18/2018 1:31pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Sad news for the owners and employees.
Really can't get myself to say it's a sad news for the sport in any way.
JM485 wrote:
Are you kidding me, this is horrible news for everyone. You guys need to pull your head out if your ass and realize what these guys...
Are you kidding me, this is horrible news for everyone. You guys need to pull your head out if your ass and realize what these guys achieved and were set to bring to this industry. They produced a bike that was absolutely lethal on the track, required almost no maintenance, and was a much more elegant solution to the age old problem of going faster around a motocross track than anything on the market. This was a bike that any layman could own hassle free, and was infinitely tunable for riders of all skill levels. No need to go buy a new bike after you outgrow your 125 or 250f, just bump up to a higher map and presto, totally new bike. No top ends to change, no air filters, and a total parts list of probably half of anything else on the market. That is textbook improvement on all fronts, there’s no way anyone can even begin to deny that.

Not to mention, you also had a company that was investing in and using unique approaches to marketing. When the AMA wouldn’t let them race, they didn’t sit in their asses and do nothing until they got approved, they went out and raced endurocross, straight rhythm, hillclimb, went freeriding, etc. The put out great content, made their bikes more accessible for people to demo than any other brand, and were receptive to customer feedback rather than telling them to stick it like the big 6. Is that really not a loss to some people? I mean seriously? An American made dirtbike set to turn the industry on its head and its not a loss to the moto community, I don’t even know what to say. . .
+1
mx_563
10/18/2018 1:33pm
I'm clinging to this and holding out some hope...

Now with Alta’s business operations shuttered, the company has effectively ended is [sic] burn-rate of capital, which allows Alta Motors time to field serious offers of investment and acquisition.

This plan could very well payoff, as Alta Motors was in the midst of a stellar year, showing 50% growth quarter-to-quarter in 2018, with roughly 1,000 units sold to customers this year so far.....
mwr
10/18/2018 1:38pm
Sad news. Are there any MXRs left at dealers? I'll buy one.
tobz
10/18/2018 1:52pm
mx_563 wrote:
I'm clinging to this and holding out some hope... [b][i]Now with Alta’s business operations shuttered, the company has effectively ended is [sic] burn-rate of capital, which...
I'm clinging to this and holding out some hope...

Now with Alta’s business operations shuttered, the company has effectively ended is [sic] burn-rate of capital, which allows Alta Motors time to field serious offers of investment and acquisition.

This plan could very well payoff, as Alta Motors was in the midst of a stellar year, showing 50% growth quarter-to-quarter in 2018, with roughly 1,000 units sold to customers this year so far.....
Plus the 300 or so units in backlog. From most accounts these things were selling, but starting up and getting off the ground has taken huge capital. All pretty part and parcel of a new age start up company.

With the year they've reported and traction they've gained, you'd think they'd find an investor. Although it's a little concerning that have had Harley and another investor pull out at the 11th hour. Wonder what that's about.
byke
10/18/2018 2:06pm
logan_140 wrote:
Could forsure see Ktm buying them.
It would be a no-brainer if KTM hadn't already spent a good amount of time and money developing their own electric stuff, but it depends how they feel about the tech they've developed. Otherwise, totally agree. The Japanese mfr's are absolute fuddy-duddys compared to KTM when it comes to flexible low volume manufacturing and delivering unique products that people want. Don't get me wrong, I love my old Honda, but they're just completely unwilling to fill any niche market.
500guy
10/18/2018 2:12pm
How bad would it suck to be an Alta dealer about now ?

Hopefully whom ever takes over Alta will support the existing dealers.
brocster
10/18/2018 2:15pm
Can you give an example of how the sport was/is floundering because of 4-strokes? Please don't say it's because how expensive they are because a brand...
Can you give an example of how the sport was/is floundering because of 4-strokes? Please don't say it's because how expensive they are because a brand new KTM 65SX is $5,000.........Is the average working class dad going to cough up that kind of dough so junior can ride on the nearest track that's an hour away or is he putting the kid in baseball.
brocster wrote:
This^^^ the only kids getting into the sport are offspring of people already in it. $5000 for a 65 is not entry level. We are going...
This^^^ the only kids getting into the sport are offspring of people already in it. $5000 for a 65 is not entry level. We are going to price ourselves right out of a sport. Their are far more Vets (guys that weee kids in the 70’s and 80’s) at anytrack that I have been to recently and when they are gone this sport will be a hell of a lot smaller than it is today.

Also, Altas not being allowed in the current race format also limits exposure of the actual possibility. Either include them or give them their own class and let it develop into it’s own niche. i.e Pro 250, Pro 450 and Pro E all individual and seperate.
But what makes you think that a KTM65 costs that much less to build than a KTM250SX?
You missed the point. Young people outside of motocross are not getting in for many reasons, one being a $5k 65. The only people buying bikes are people that are in the sport or have been at some point is more of what I was getting at.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
10/18/2018 2:23pm
GODZILLA wrote:
Sorry, you can call me a dinosaur, no problem, but I absolutely HATE the idea of having to ride an electric bike. I like changing filters...
Sorry, you can call me a dinosaur, no problem, but I absolutely HATE the idea of having to ride an electric bike.
I like changing filters, changing top ends, ported cylinders or heads, I like cone pipes and Ti collectors, smelling gas, I like using a clutch and gears, I love the sound of real engines, not that horrible whistling tune...
I have a hard time believing I'm the only one.
I know a few guys that went through the same thing in the RC world. Most of them have adopted a slightly different philosophy- they own both nitro and battery powered cars. Nothing like having options, right?

Heck, I never thought I'd own a valve muncher 4 stroke, that I'd be pre-mixing for life. About a month ago I sold my CR500, bought a YZ450F the next day. Still have the KX125 and YZ250 though.
Johnny Depp
10/18/2018 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 3:07pm

https://altaownersforum.com/threads/bad-news.553/page-3
Today at 3:45 PM
Whymee:

I am feeling better now.

I cannot say who, what, where or why, and I have been sworn to secrecy, but Alta has been purchased, according to my insider in the industry.

I am so happy that this evening, at the grocery store, I am going to buy a bag of oranges and celebrate...

Honcho:
Hi all, sorry for the vague and ambiguous news. I know there are a million questions, and you all deserve answers. We should be able to share a little more next week, so please hang tight.

-Marc

TeamGreen
10/18/2018 2:39pm
Looking at who their primary investors are, I'm not gonna be surprised if there's a well designed aquisiton or merger taking place...or in the works. There are a coupl'a smart investment firms and a few smart individuals involved and, I'm assuming, on their board.
Micahdogg
10/18/2018 2:48pm
https://altaownersforum.com/threads/bad-news.553/page-3 Today at 3:45 PM Whymee: I am feeling better now. I cannot say who, what, where or why, and I have been sworn to secrecy...

https://altaownersforum.com/threads/bad-news.553/page-3
Today at 3:45 PM
Whymee:

I am feeling better now.

I cannot say who, what, where or why, and I have been sworn to secrecy, but Alta has been purchased, according to my insider in the industry.

I am so happy that this evening, at the grocery store, I am going to buy a bag of oranges and celebrate...

Honcho:
Hi all, sorry for the vague and ambiguous news. I know there are a million questions, and you all deserve answers. We should be able to share a little more next week, so please hang tight.

-Marc

So a florida based purchaser?

Post a reply to: Bad news on Alta

The Latest