Bad news on Alta

dcg141
11/20/2018 5:59am
SCR wrote:
Was that after they cut $4,000 or whatever it was off the price? I assume the original 15k price was well thought out. Dropping it 4k...
Was that after they cut $4,000 or whatever it was off the price?
I assume the original 15k price was well thought out. Dropping it 4k seemed like a hail mary decision made because they saw they were in trouble a year ago. The OP linked article said the 30% drop in price wasn't likely sustainable or profitable.

Do you know what the margins are for the manufacturer and or resale ? I was trying to guesstimate some numbers based on 1,000 units sold, 50 or so employees, 7 or so executives, rent, debt, insurance, etc. I think there is about 80k off road bikes sold in the US. I was trying to figure what share of that did they plan on getting.

Hell of a tough market to succeed in I guess. Even with the good response to their bikes.

I had the dealer pricing at one point and margins were pretty normal for the industry. The price drop would have had to be a substantial rebate back to dealers.
mx_563
11/20/2018 7:51am
Can you give an example of how the sport was/is floundering because of 4-strokes? Please don't say it's because how expensive they are because a brand...
Can you give an example of how the sport was/is floundering because of 4-strokes? Please don't say it's because how expensive they are because a brand new KTM 65SX is $5,000.........Is the average working class dad going to cough up that kind of dough so junior can ride on the nearest track that's an hour away or is he putting the kid in baseball.
I think noise is doing a lot of damage to "the sport" and 4-strokes tend to be worse that 2-stroke when it comes to that sort of thing. My local track got shut down about a year ago. Ione Sands MX is currently grappling with the noise issue...

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Ione-Sands-MX-track-need…

Without a track to ride, the cost of a 65cc becomes irrelevant. Speaking of cost....I'm pretty sure the cost of a new 4-stroke 450 will soon reach Alta's price point. Especially when you factor in fancy aftermarket exhausts, Hinsen clutches, etc.
Whymee
11/20/2018 5:54pm
ButchtheBARFdude wrote:

Edit: in response to some comment here... My wife is a rocket scientist (United Technologies) and she thinks Alta rocks.

What Butch is trying to say is Alta's make the panties drop! Woo Hoo!! Woohoo

I hope my #496 will at least get 'em damp around the edges!! Cool
Fourth_Floor
11/21/2018 6:33am
Can you give an example of how the sport was/is floundering because of 4-strokes? Please don't say it's because how expensive they are because a brand...
Can you give an example of how the sport was/is floundering because of 4-strokes? Please don't say it's because how expensive they are because a brand new KTM 65SX is $5,000.........Is the average working class dad going to cough up that kind of dough so junior can ride on the nearest track that's an hour away or is he putting the kid in baseball.
mx_563 wrote:
I think noise is doing a lot of damage to "the sport" and 4-strokes tend to be worse that 2-stroke when it comes to that sort...
I think noise is doing a lot of damage to "the sport" and 4-strokes tend to be worse that 2-stroke when it comes to that sort of thing. My local track got shut down about a year ago. Ione Sands MX is currently grappling with the noise issue...

Without a track to ride, the cost of a 65cc becomes irrelevant. Speaking of cost....I'm pretty sure the cost of a new 4-stroke 450 will soon reach Alta's price point. Especially when you factor in fancy aftermarket exhausts, Hinsen clutches, etc.
100% agree on the noise factor which is why I'm a fan of the electric bikes. Do I want to go to a pro national or supercross and watch silent racing? No way. Do I want to build a little practice track in my yard and not deal with bitchy neighbors? Absolutely. I have no interest in seeing electric bikes eliminating gas bikes, but I would like to see them become an option from all manufacturers. Keep the pro level racing to the gas bikes, but at least have an option for the guys that want to come home from work and put a few laps in on their home track without the cops being called.

The Shop

RCF
11/21/2018 7:01am
mx_563 wrote:
I think noise is doing a lot of damage to "the sport" and 4-strokes tend to be worse that 2-stroke when it comes to that sort...

100% agree on the noise factor which is why I'm a fan of the electric bikes. Do I want to go to a pro national or...
100% agree on the noise factor which is why I'm a fan of the electric bikes. Do I want to go to a pro national or supercross and watch silent racing? No way. Do I want to build a little practice track in my yard and not deal with bitchy neighbors? Absolutely. I have no interest in seeing electric bikes eliminating gas bikes, but I would like to see them become an option from all manufacturers. Keep the pro level racing to the gas bikes, but at least have an option for the guys that want to come home from work and put a few laps in on their home track without the cops being called.
So your neighbors wouldn't have a problem having their house or car covered with dust?
motogrady
11/21/2018 7:22am
mx_563 wrote:

100% agree on the noise factor which is why I'm a fan of the electric bikes. Do I want to go to a pro national or...
RCF wrote:
So your neighbors wouldn't have a problem having their house or car covered with dust?
Get real guy. Pa. WV. Md. We haven't seen dust in a year.
RCF
11/21/2018 7:55am
RCF wrote:
motogrady wrote:
Get real guy. Pa. WV. Md. We haven't seen dust in a year.
Lol that's definitely true this year, I think I've changed more bearings this year than I did in the last 10.
mikec265
11/21/2018 3:13pm
mx_563 wrote:

RCF wrote:
I don't ride big bikes when it's dusty. And there's a creek to steal water from for the pitbike/peewee track. Plenty of rain here though. If it's not dusty the Alta doesn't bother my neighbors.... Except for the ones trying to sell thier house who happen to have a back yard track on the property. Still electric bikes open more options. Being respectful of others and using some sense is still a good idea.
APLMAN99
11/22/2018 7:02pm
Personally, I think that Alta should have initially focused on getting (relatively) cheap small road bikes/scooters to the market and in the hands of university fleets, students, businesses, etc before jumping in so heavily to the MX/Off Road market. Creating cash flow should have been the first priority, and selling to markets that are steeped in the culture of "sustainability" should have been their bedrock strategy.

After establishing that base cash flow, they probably could have spread out a lot of their fixed costs and produced their dirt products at a much lower price, increasing demand and allowing them even better cash flow to increase their production capabilities.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but their product certainly seems to be top notch and was only going to get better. I wish that their business plan would have been able to support them because their evolution would have been fun to watch.
11/22/2018 7:08pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Personally, I think that Alta should have initially focused on getting (relatively) cheap small road bikes/scooters to the market and in the hands of university fleets...
Personally, I think that Alta should have initially focused on getting (relatively) cheap small road bikes/scooters to the market and in the hands of university fleets, students, businesses, etc before jumping in so heavily to the MX/Off Road market. Creating cash flow should have been the first priority, and selling to markets that are steeped in the culture of "sustainability" should have been their bedrock strategy.

After establishing that base cash flow, they probably could have spread out a lot of their fixed costs and produced their dirt products at a much lower price, increasing demand and allowing them even better cash flow to increase their production capabilities.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but their product certainly seems to be top notch and was only going to get better. I wish that their business plan would have been able to support them because their evolution would have been fun to watch.
That market is already pretty crowded.
APLMAN99
11/22/2018 7:21pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Personally, I think that Alta should have initially focused on getting (relatively) cheap small road bikes/scooters to the market and in the hands of university fleets...

That market is already pretty crowded.
Yes, because it's a larger market and a lot more "stable" than the relatively small dirt market that is more filled with the "get off my lawn" folks that resist even the smallest of changes.

Even focusing on e-minis might have made more business sense, as you could basically catch riders at a young age before they realized that an electric dirt bike was "radically different", but you'd still need the cash flow from the street bike side until those riders grew into the larger bikes, obviously.

I could see a smaller version of the Alta bikes being fairly successful on my kids' college campuses, especially if it was a program that docked and powered into stations spread around campus. And colleges pay some stupid money for transportation programs, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that a company like Alta could have worked out some killer lease programs with universities that would have given them a solid base of income for a good duration of time.
Jaze
12/3/2018 10:59am
So no news from Alta recently?
Whymee
12/3/2018 11:08am
Jaze wrote:
So no news from Alta recently?
Nothing that us Alta owners did not know last week, or the week before that...

Post a reply to: Bad news on Alta

The Latest