Bad move by riders, bad solution by PD

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2020 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2020 6:57 AM

Lots of bad here. This group riding of ATV, dirtbikes and some scooters on the streets of Providence. The guy hit on the scooter apparently has raced some MX up here. Too bad he wasn't there and not on the street, but the PD hitting him, and dragging him by the arm was an awful move. I hate these guys riding like this on the street, but regardless, striking him with a car and then dragging him while he was on the ground was a bad move.

NSFW language

IF this guy heals he should speak to all these kids. Try to get them into organized riding. Of course in RI we only have one place and it is for trials.
|

10/19/2020 9:35 AM

Before this goes off the rails... Jhamal does race in New England and is a moto guy, in addition to being employed & hardworking. I know him through mutual circles of riding friends and I can confirm he’s not for the streets wheelie boy.
Photo

|

10/19/2020 9:39 AM

pCp 252 wrote:

Before this goes off the rails... Jhamal does race in New England and is a moto guy, in addition to being employed & hardworking. I know him through mutual circles of riding friends and I can confirm he’s not for the streets wheelie boy.
Photo

“Is employed & hardworking”

I’m not trying to take this off the rail but if it were a white kid would you have said that? Because I know you wouldn’t have. People don’t think they’re racist because they don’t understand how ignorant they sound when they say stuff like this.

|

10/19/2020 9:40 AM

Thanks - hoping he recovers fully.

|

10/19/2020 9:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2020 9:57 AM

pCp 252 wrote:

Photo

observeroffacts wrote:

I’m not trying to take this off the rail but if it were a white kid would you have said that? Because I know you wouldn’t have. People don’t think they’re racist because they don’t understand how ignorant they sound when they say stuff like this.

You’re just insinuating that because the man is black, PCP 252 felt the need to mention that he is “employed & hard working.” You fail to realize that he may just be associating those who are wheelie boys on the streets as the typical unemployed folk, without bringing race into it. Not all those who ride dirt bikes through the streets are black either.

|

10/19/2020 9:45 AM

Annnnnnnnd we’re off....

|

10/19/2020 9:49 AM

What a crock of shit by the police here. Dudes on a licensed scooter with a top speed of like 50mph and this is how they handle it? Unreal and unprofessional.

|

10/19/2020 9:50 AM

Permeance_Flux wrote:

You’re just insinuating that because the man is black, PCP 252 felt the need to mention that he is “employed & hard working.” You fail to realize that he may just be associating those who are wheelie boys on the streets as the typical unemployed folk, without bringing race into it. Not all those who ride dirt bikes through the streets are black either.

OP didn't bring up employed and hard working. I just hope some kind of good comes from this. Either the state opens some riding land or he gets kids who'd ride on the street to try racing or trail riding (again needs somewhere to trail ride so that's an imperfect hope). Not a good situation here. Those guys should not be riding dirt bikes and atv on the street. He was on a scooter so probably not doing anything illegal, but don't join in those rides. The PD reaction? Insane! I can understand their frustration but to hit him with the car...

|

10/19/2020 9:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2020 10:05 AM

From the news I see in Providence, I don't think that many police cars pull up to a shooting. They have a hard job that is understaffed. I blame the mayor as he made it a sanctuary city.

I should clarify I blame the mayor as his sanctuary city is out of control with shootings and the PD is struggling with it. However if the cop did hit the bike that is all on him. And I blame the cop who dragged him after the crash. Neither should have done that.

|

10/19/2020 9:59 AM

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

|

Ed Johnson

10/19/2020 10:02 AM

How can anyone even comment on this without knowing the full story. If he was riding without licence and insurance, i say good on the cops . If he had licence and insurance and was nt runnung from them , thats disgusting what the cops did . And i dont think that if he rides moto should give him any pass if he did break the law .

|

10/19/2020 10:08 AM

I could be wrong but it looks like the guy on the scooter rammed into the wall. I dont know if the police car actually hit him since the video pans away at the actual impact. I guess we will wait and see the dash cam footage. Why was the kid running anways? When you have stuff like this people only look at what they want to see. All the complete facts are going to be relevant, like always. I highly doubt the police department had that many units along with a detective chasing down some kid on a scooter for a minor traffic offense.

|

10/19/2020 10:17 AM

According to another article police had been following the group hoping to get them to leave the city.

|

10/19/2020 10:20 AM

brimx153 wrote:

How can anyone even comment on this without knowing the full story. If he was riding without licence and insurance, i say good on the cops . If he had licence and insurance and was nt runnung from them , thats disgusting what the cops did . And i dont think that if he rides moto should give him any pass if he did break the law .

I don’t think he gets a pass for riding moto. If anything his moto experience can hopefully get others to leave the street and take to the dirt. If he comes out of this that is. Coordinate a drive to see him or others race. Check out the track, etc. No dirt to ride in R.I. so not probably going to happen just a hope.

|

10/19/2020 10:20 AM

pCp 252 wrote:

Photo

observeroffacts wrote:

No, I probably would not have mentioned that he was employed and hardworking if not for the current political climate in the country. My reason for pointing it out was because I did not want him to be framed in the light of a wheelie boy, he is sort of a friend after all...

|

10/19/2020 10:55 AM

pCp 252 wrote:

Photo

observeroffacts wrote:

pCp 252 wrote:

No, I probably would not have mentioned that he was employed and hardworking if not for the current political climate in the country. My reason for pointing it out was because I did not want him to be framed in the light of a wheelie boy, he is sort of a friend after all...

I just read the news article where it mentions he works as a painter at the shipyard. Regardless of what went down, who is to blame, etc the main thing is his recovery. Again I hate hordes of bikes on the public streets. And I am trying to have it both ways (keep this off the streets, but don't run someone down, if that's what the evidence ultimately shows). There is no easy answer here or probably in any other city. Even if we had dirt areas for riding some would probably want to do it on the street anyway to show off. Again, I don't have the answer, only the frustration of seeing 1 - such a mass of bikes on both sides of the road, and 2 - someone being that injured.

|

10/19/2020 11:34 AM

They're passing around a petition to get have a road designated to ride on. Even if Providence decided to open up a MX track or riding park, it wouldn't stop people from riding in the streets. I don't see a good solution for this unfortunately.

|

10/19/2020 11:44 AM

How about don't be a f__cking idiot and get into a police chase on a minibike? What was this asshat doing? There was obviously something that went down before this.

|

10/19/2020 12:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2020 12:59 PM

agn5009 wrote:

I could be wrong but it looks like the guy on the scooter rammed into the wall. I dont know if the police car actually hit him since the video pans away at the actual impact. I guess we will wait and see the dash cam footage. Why was the kid running anways? When you have stuff like this people only look at what they want to see. All the complete facts are going to be relevant, like always. I highly doubt the police department had that many units along with a detective chasing down some kid on a scooter for a minor traffic offense.

I agree with you that there is an inherent bias. For example, you ignoring the sounds of two very distinct and separate impacts.

|

10/19/2020 12:49 PM

I wonder how old this guy is. I did some pretty stupid things when I was a kid and I ran from the police on a dirt bike many times. Times are sure different now

|

10/19/2020 12:50 PM

Supposedly 200-300 bikes. Not just this guy. He was at the back of the pack. They’d been following the group hoping to get them out of town.

|

10/19/2020 12:58 PM

I would imagine cops all over the US are just sick of peoples shit. I for one don't blame them. It was a thankless job before all this started.

|

10/19/2020 1:03 PM

Press conference said local PD, state PD and state attorney general office to investigate 25-30 phone calls came in about hundreds of bikes, atv, etc coming down the city streets.

|

10/19/2020 1:32 PM

brimx153 wrote:

I didn't know driving a scooter with no license meant the death penalty.

|

10/19/2020 1:33 PM

Is he ok?

|

10/19/2020 1:41 PM

News said in a coma and had a successful procedure to reduce pressure on the brain. PD reports that the scooter was not registered.

|

10/19/2020 2:21 PM

brimx153 wrote:

That’s funny I don’t remember the penalty for riding without a license and insurance being “get hit by police car, dragged by arm, coma” nor do I remember cops being judge and jury either

|

10/19/2020 2:32 PM

Motox627! wrote:

I would imagine cops all over the US are just sick of peoples shit. I for one don't blame them. It was a thankless job before all this started.

The culture of policing in America is corrupt and purposefully diluted. It's fucked up by design.

|

10/19/2020 2:32 PM

Motox627! wrote:

Thankless? I don’t have people flying software engineering flags and won’t have a whole group of people willingly fundraising for me if I murder someone.

|

10/19/2020 2:36 PM

agn5009 wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:

I agree with you that there is an inherent bias. For example, you ignoring the sounds of two very distinct and separate impacts.

I get it, you hate cops. You have made it very clear considering you've always got something negative to say when I post. You've probably been pinched one too many times for your "grape ape" so you've got a vendetta against all of us now. I give a level headed response essentially saying the facts will be important yet you still feel the need to call me out. Its cool though, you do you.

|