Bad ass Sears Point Pic 1977

MX-Files
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:18am
Since there is always so much talk about how rough tracks are, were or should be, I though I would share this pic some one gave me in a special book from Sears Point Trans-Am. I think the year is '77.

(Look at the natural terrain and the 2-smoke exhaust from throttle "blips" as Lackey, Hannah, (I think Stackable or Magoo) navigate the "wine country".

Just cool to me.

|
fgb729
11/28/2011 9:21am
Coolest moto pic ever. I wish tracks still looked like this
PFitzG38
11/28/2011 9:30am
Epic photo! I seem to remember the "DeSoto Moto" track in the back of Escape Country they used for Nats only had an off camber section kinda like that with waist high grass before practice and axle deep ruts traversing across the face after the race. Pretty sure I watched Wardy race and holeshot(?) his first Pro Nat. there, right after racing his last WMGP on the Marty Smith track. I poached it the next weekend and remember not being able to really even navigate around on my YZ100.

The Shop

Rupert X
11/28/2011 9:32am
DEANO would quad up all that mess, just sayin'.....
SCIENCE
11/28/2011 9:34am
RexBackman wrote:
Calling FTE...
This may be an FTE pic. Lackey, Mosier, Pomeroy, Hannah I believe. Great shot from an era gone by. Feel lucky that I got to go to this series at Unadilla and see what real MX is/was. With all due respect to DC and MXSports, the MX series today with all its bells and whistles, pales in comparison. Far superior, boring four stroke machinery on tracks with man made jumps and smoothed out (for the most part- yes some of todays venues are rough) straight-aways for 10 less minutes is ridiculous. This goes for my favorite venue Unadilla which is an absolute shadow of what it once was. I have to think that DeCoster just shakes his head and smiles when one of todays pampered stars says he is tired or got arm pump.
TX24
11/28/2011 9:37am
Great shot.
DC
11/28/2011 10:03am
SCIENCE, I love the old-school too -- this was my favorite era. But Ricky Carmichael and friends would have jumped this whole section in two abrupt, well-timed twists of the throttle. Evolution comes to every sport. Supercross looks different because the bikes, the riders, and the fans are different. So is their attention spans. Ask NASCAR and baseball about that....

I walked the Unadilla track with DeCoster last August on the day before the race and he told me he really liked and understood the changes brought on by 40 years of racing. Everything changes.... Except gravity. If you don't build jumps, they would literally be going too fast. Funny thing: Screw-U and Gravity Cavity at Unadilla are the same steepness and pitch as they ever were, just with less rocks and new dirt (the old dirt erodes over time).

But if we had natural terrain like this, I would really push to include it at the nationals.

DC
MX Sports
LappedU
11/28/2011 10:09am
Now that is a motocross track!
tp4
11/28/2011 10:29am
I don't think Rc and friends would be any faster.".IF "they were on the same bikes as pros pictured..that slippery off camber on a 2 stroke is tricky.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
11/28/2011 10:50am
Nice! Looks a little chilly there.
SCIENCE
11/28/2011 11:34am
DC wrote:
SCIENCE, I love the old-school too -- this was my favorite era. But Ricky Carmichael and friends would have jumped this whole section in two abrupt...
SCIENCE, I love the old-school too -- this was my favorite era. But Ricky Carmichael and friends would have jumped this whole section in two abrupt, well-timed twists of the throttle. Evolution comes to every sport. Supercross looks different because the bikes, the riders, and the fans are different. So is their attention spans. Ask NASCAR and baseball about that....

I walked the Unadilla track with DeCoster last August on the day before the race and he told me he really liked and understood the changes brought on by 40 years of racing. Everything changes.... Except gravity. If you don't build jumps, they would literally be going too fast. Funny thing: Screw-U and Gravity Cavity at Unadilla are the same steepness and pitch as they ever were, just with less rocks and new dirt (the old dirt erodes over time).

But if we had natural terrain like this, I would really push to include it at the nationals.

DC
MX Sports
Thanks for the info DC. I know you are around him all season, but walking Unadilla with DeCoster in any era must have been epic! I would love to see RC, Stewart, Reed, KDub, Dungey, Villopoto etc double-double that section at Sears Point or attacking the old, gnarly uphill at Unadilla on today's machines. That group would have competed at the front in the Trans AMA era in my opinion. Yes the sport has evolved in many ways and your core marketing demo probably looks at RC how I look at DeCoster and Hannah as the old legends. Adding a Natural terrain track to your series (if you could find one) would be awesome.
DC
11/28/2011 11:55am
It was a pretty cool afternoon for a lifelong motocross fan like me, no doubt. The thing is, I missed all of those great Trans-AMA races at Unadilla back in the day because my parents were always running GNCC races or local races in the fall. By the time I made it to Unadilla for the first time, it was the 1985 USGP. It was much rougher back then, but they only did one race a year. They do more than that now, and the years add up (and every bike that left with mud caked in the pegs or under the fenders was dirt that never came back!)

If the opportunity for a natural track ever presents itself, like my dad did back at the old Brownsville golf course in 1980, I am there!

DC
MX Sports
chrisbuehler
11/28/2011 12:49pm
RexBackman wrote:
Calling FTE...
SCIENCE wrote:
This may be an FTE pic. Lackey, Mosier, Pomeroy, Hannah I believe. Great shot from an era gone by. Feel lucky that I got to go...
This may be an FTE pic. Lackey, Mosier, Pomeroy, Hannah I believe. Great shot from an era gone by. Feel lucky that I got to go to this series at Unadilla and see what real MX is/was. With all due respect to DC and MXSports, the MX series today with all its bells and whistles, pales in comparison. Far superior, boring four stroke machinery on tracks with man made jumps and smoothed out (for the most part- yes some of todays venues are rough) straight-aways for 10 less minutes is ridiculous. This goes for my favorite venue Unadilla which is an absolute shadow of what it once was. I have to think that DeCoster just shakes his head and smiles when one of todays pampered stars says he is tired or got arm pump.
Pretty sure they stopped smoothing out the tracks a couple yrs ago
SouthwestMfg
11/28/2011 12:51pm
Respectfully dissagree with you Davey, "But Ricky Carmichael and friends would have jumped this whole section in two abrupt, well-timed twists of the throttle..." Ask Roger if you need to but that particular area was quite steep off-camber (as the picture shows quite well !). The dirt there has a very narrow age from grease to concrete in a week or two. That race they probably water when / where they could but the "smoke" is dust, hard packed off-camber with drying grass. Anyway they had a few straigths like that where you had to traverse on the hillside. Guys now could get a bit more air, but they would not be able to jump much of that
DC
11/28/2011 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2011 1:06pm
I was just making a general statement about the evolution of the bikes and tracks. I have never see that section in person and have no doubt it's much more difficult than it looks. But motocross is simply different now than it was then, and I am sure much of it has to do with the rise of Supercross in the eighties, as well as the rise of FMX in the nineties, and finally four-strokes in this last decade. The equipment and the expectations are just so much different now, that's all. The sport has evolved, whether we like where it's evolved to or not.

DC
MX Sports
rbigair40
11/28/2011 1:11pm
fgb729 wrote:
Coolest moto pic ever. I wish tracks still looked like this
Mammoth east in paoli indiana the track there only has one race a year, but i heard they might have two for 2012 check it out on you tube its alot like that not a man made place on the track !! its cool
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
11/28/2011 3:17pm
I have cleaner versions of this; I'll try to get it up later.

Got to ride that section the week after; Sears used to be open for recreational riding then, and once the race was over the fences came down and it was all open. Quite a blast in the fall/winter/spring. The thing about those Sears tracks is that there was very little rhythm to them. Timing one section perfectly would screw you up for the next one. One definitely went faster going slower through this section; it definitely did not reward going balls out. That said, on this same track in a different place with a similar flow, Barnett absolutely hucked past the second step down into the bottom ravine in the pic below (from where the person in the red jacket is at the top right to the gulley Smith is coming out of), and it was jaw dropping. It was during practice, and I never saw him or another rider try it again that day.

Vet57
11/28/2011 3:31pm
Sears Point and Unadilla (during the same era) is what defined MX for me...EPIC!
DC
11/28/2011 4:21pm
FTE, that photo is downright remarkable. That would have been an amazing track to ride -- and a great race to even watch!

DC
MX Sports
TeamGreen
11/28/2011 4:39pm
I remember that track. I still love that track.

We got to race a Golden State series in Avenal in the '80's due to the Huron track being flooded...on a hillside...jus' some sno-fence on a hillside......it took me right back the this very race, mentally, at Sears.

If I'm remembering correctly...Honda was messin' around with 2 or 3 VERY different chassis set-ups between the different classes and the "Big" front wheel was seen in the pits (Even tho I think it wasn't 'yil '79 that we saw that monster on a production bike).

Wasn't Wardy on a 125 that day?

For those interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWc097PykUc
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
11/28/2011 6:49pm
Davey, thanks much for that. Actually, it's a fairly poorly executed pic, of a group of legends at a superb track that make me look good in spite of the fact that my youth, skill and equipment wasn't up to making a stellar poster worthy image. I'm still trying to optimize a scan as much as I can. But I loved that track, especially in winter.

Dick Mann laid the track out, I believe.

It makes me nostalgic; I snuck into the infield and acted like I belonged, leveraging my Hi Point pit pass cover from Hangtown and the USGP earlier in the year when I wrenched for a friend at those races. Whistling

What I am not nostalgic about is trying to get out of Sears. You'd think with it being a road course and immediately adjacent to two main highways it wouldn't be so, but the ingrained anarchists that are moto fans made it a nightmare. It took three hours to get out the gate one year (78 I think). Well worth it for the quality of moto, though. Their set up is much better these days.
TerryK
11/28/2011 8:47pm
Amazing pictures. They always remind me of our track in the late 70s. Shane Drew (now a Team Honda engineer) and I used to lay out the track different every weekend. We both loved big hills, off cambers and technical tracks so since we were the only two out there most weekends pounding in stakes and stringing binder-twine (remember that?? lol) we would always lay out the most technical and difficult track we could, much to the chagrin of half the other racers lol.
Ddavis
11/28/2011 8:54pm
Same pic, but little better quality.

Post a reply to: Bad ass Sears Point Pic 1977

The Latest