Backyard Pit Bike Track Features

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2019 12:09 PM

I'm in the infancy stages of building a pit bike track in my backyard. I cleared out a path and have a decent route going. I'm going to try to get my hands on a mini skid steer in a couple of weeks and I have some ideas as to what features I want to add. Have a look at the video and let me know what you guys think - what features do you think I should add and where?

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

12/13/2019 12:18 PM

Photo
|

12/13/2019 12:26 PM

slowgti wrote: Photo

Truuuu! Gotta stay hydrated! It's almost consistently cold enough here in NJ to keep one outside at all times, too. Noted!

|

12/13/2019 12:26 PM

All you need is a couple buddy’s and some shovels

|

12/13/2019 12:46 PM

That's a nice lay-out, maybe a few small jumps and some rollers. And an open invitation to all Vital member's...

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

12/13/2019 12:52 PM

Two words - KIX bowl
Photo

|

12/13/2019 1:01 PM

austin_bo wrote:

I'm in the infancy stages of building a pit bike track in my backyard. I cleared out a path and have a decent route going. I'm ...more

Nice!

A few riders - Don't forget ur piney locals...

Photo

|

Stupid Hurts

12/13/2019 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2019 2:17 PM

Pit bike track?

Didn't watch the vid, but definitely needs a big double that you don't want to hit about 90% of the time. Still needs to be fun as a single-single -- If it drops into a hole, even better.

|

12/13/2019 1:42 PM

You need some hay bales in front of your wood pile and in your "tree turn" where the track splits around one. You'll thank me the first time you or one of your friends gets taken out into hay bales instead of a tree. w00t grin grin Backyard pitbike races are gnarlier than the last lap of an Arenacross championship race!

The dirt looks great but is it dry in the summer? You might want to pipe out some sprinklers or at least a spigot you can run hoses from. That dirt looks deep enough that it might be a dusty, powdery mess when it gets hot outside.

Other than that, I think you'd be wise to leave it mostly natural. I like the "turn track" concept for racing with buddies (or yourself.) Maybe add a few single jumps to slow it down in areas.

Also, banners in some areas would be cool, if your neighbors don't care (or won't know.)

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/13/2019 1:45 PM

Looks good, put a few 30 foot doubles and maybe a 50 footer run a big bike,,

|

12/13/2019 2:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2019 2:25 PM

Looks fun, but just to be a tad safer, might wanna remove an extra tree or 3. I get that it's all in good fun, but a pathway a bit wider in spots could really go a long way to help preventing a trip to the ER. A few cold ones into an afternoon of riding with your pals can turn into a dash for cash style race real quick! Nice piece of property you have there.

|

12/13/2019 3:05 PM

If you want to have fun racing friends on pitbikes, basically just copy a track from Mario Kart

|

12/13/2019 3:51 PM

New Jersey? I expected this was going to be a track made out of concrete underneath an overpass. Just kidding. Nice piece of property and some good looking dirt. I think rollers are really fun on the little bikes, string together some on one of your longer straightaways. Just try not to dig on the track to get the dirt (so you don't get water collecting), find a higher spot close by and take it from there. I would not do any grading on the track if you are not building an obstacle, just let it form up on its own. Keep your good top soil that way. I don't personally like hitting jumps on the pit bikes, but I am tall and about 200 lbs, a little outside of the target size range for sure

|

12/13/2019 4:12 PM

I wouldn't hate to see an over-under

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

12/13/2019 4:43 PM

Second the tree comments....also might want to stay off you septic field, other than that looks fun

|

12/13/2019 5:43 PM

Where you live is sand right? Building jumps is a pain in the ass. I have a few pitbikes and I'll help with shovels or rent a skidsteer or whatever. If I dont go to the track sunday I could come down, I need some pitbike bros in my life

|

12/13/2019 5:50 PM

Langtown was the best.

|

12/13/2019 6:29 PM

Falcon wrote:

You need some hay bales in front of your wood pile and in your "tree turn" where the track splits around one. You'll thank me ...more

Yes, I'll be picking up as many hay bales that my truck can handle this weekend lol. Also, that joker lane tree turn will probably be modified because it's currently set up for some serious t-bone type carnage.

You have a good eye for the dirt. It's sandy top soil that gets dusty/powdery as it dries out. I have 200' of hose coming from the house used to spray the open section. Water breaks also serve as beer breaks, so it's a win-win.

And T Bolt & BBR, if you're reading this, hook it up with some banners and I'll them around the track! wink

|

12/13/2019 6:32 PM

yak651 wrote:

Second the tree comments....also might want to stay off you septic field, other than that looks fun

For sure. The original route went across it, but this layout actually loops around it.

|

12/13/2019 6:43 PM

Just south of Paradise... wrote:

New Jersey? I expected this was going to be a track made out of concrete underneath an overpass. Just kidding. Nice piece of ...more

It cracks me up that NJ has that kind of reputation when the vast majority is composed of pine trees and farm land. It's even called "The Garden State". I guess most people associate it with the parts immediately outside of NY since that area is pretty industrial.

Thanks for the advice on the grading. A friend actually suggested having some fill dirt delivered so not to dig and trap water, but I'm not ready to get that crazy. I'm definitely going to add rollers or a set of doubles on that straight away to slow the pace a little bit. I'll pull the dirt from one of the higher parts of the property.

|

12/13/2019 7:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2019 7:21 PM

Got the invite this past fall thru a friend to longtime 90’s privateer Bruce Stratton’s house for a big pitbike ride day. He has a beautiful setup. The track is natural he disked it up a few inches deep and after a day of 20 or so various pitbikes it had some nice braking bumps and line choices going. He has it layed out to be fast and flowy but tightens up here and there with some more technical sections and options. Some high speed singles, a long rolling whoop section, a couple small doubles, an angled tabletop right out of a corner where you could toss a little whip off of. It’s a blast and all you need for some backyard sessions. Fitted all in a couple acres of yard I’d guess. Wish I could upload videos to show it better Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/13/2019 7:28 PM

If you plan to mostly ride it by yourself then you can do crossovers and technical lines. If you want to race buddies then make sure it wide enough and somewhat simple and raceable

|

12/13/2019 9:26 PM

Lang town 1991 anniebertmojo knows what im talking about. wink

|

Ed Johnson

12/13/2019 9:34 PM

anniebertmojo wrote:

Langtown was the best.

Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park strong. Those were the best nights ever.

|

12/14/2019 9:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2019 10:03 AM

austin_bo wrote:

I'm in the infancy stages of building a pit bike track in my backyard. I cleared out a path and have a decent route going. I'm ...more

Has potential! SX wall to throw a little scrub off of, couple little tables out of a turn, and some rollers and you will have a great track to rip around on and keeps it safe. Basic is best when it comes to the little bikes I think. Keep us updated as you go. Good luck man!

|