Back to a 2 stroke, but which one?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2017 3:31 PM

So roughly this time last year I sold my SX250 and bought a CRF 450, since then I seem to have spent as much time laid up injured as I have fit and riding. I love the Honda but my riding style definitely doesn't suit the 450. long story short I'm going to miss the most of what is left of this years riding season so I plan to sell the Honda and buy a new 250 2 stroke when I'm ready to get back on a bike. My first plan was a new husqvarna but over the last couple of days I've been thinking about buying a older beat up YZ250 (around 2010/12) and spending winter rebuilding it, that way I could get a super trick bike and still save money, wouldn't lose half as much when selling it on either! Anyway, I don't know much about the YZ's so are there any years I should be looking out for or are they really the same bike since they went to the aluminium frame in 05?

|

7/3/2017 4:04 PM

06 had the last suspension updates, after that they're pretty much the same.

|

7/3/2017 4:09 PM

06 or newer Yamaha. Can't go wrong. Aweosme suspension and just a tad bit of engine work and they rip! Factory Fatty & titanium 2 silencer, vforce3 & had the head cut for race gas/pump gas 50/50 mix and my bike has plenty of power!

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

7/3/2017 6:08 PM

I have a 07 yz 250 2 stroke that had belonged to Josh Demuth. Suspension is very good and I've never had a 2 stroke as crisp as this one. It hasn't been ridden much due to my multiple back surgeries and my son breaking his femur. I would make a good deal on it.
James 214-458-8024. Loc n. Dallas

|

7/3/2017 6:19 PM

I had a 2016 yz250.
Didn't like it to be honest. It felt way too tall for me (I'm short) and I couldn't get it turning well at all. Felt stiff.
Engine and suspension was good, although the fork oil seals seem to give up rather quickly. I went through several sets of OEM seals in a few months, with no apparent damage to the forks.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

7/3/2017 6:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2017 6:42 PM

Tom711 wrote:

So roughly this time last year I sold my SX250 and bought a CRF 450, since then I seem to have spent as much time laid up injured as I have fit and riding. I love the Honda but my riding style definitely doesn't suit the 450. long story short I'm going to miss the most of what is left of this years riding season so I plan to sell the Honda and buy a new 250 2 stroke when I'm ready to get back on a bike. My first plan was a new husqvarna but over the last couple of days I've been thinking about buying a older beat up YZ250 (around 2010/12) and spending winter rebuilding it, that way I could get a super trick bike and still save money, wouldn't lose half as much when selling it on either! Anyway, I don't know much about the YZ's so are there any years I should be looking out for or are they really the same bike since they went to the aluminium frame in 05?

2002-2004 steel frame because steel frame. You will save money on the purchase price of the bike over an aluminum frame. This is good as you can use the money to build custom suspension which you would more then likely do no matter what year you buy if you are serious. Also with an 02 to 04 all plastics swap with newer models so need to worry about acquiring body bling for the build.

Before newer is better fanatics swoop in screaming newer is better consider the following:

2002 First year of the current frame geometry and bodywork through 2014
2003 Exhaust port raised about 0.5mm and h-igher compression head for USA model.
2004 48mm open chamber forks
2005 Aluminum frame (identical geometry and compatible with 2002-2004 parts) 48mm AOSS forks
2006 48mm KYB SSS forks and shock. I believe the swing arm also changed to a stiffer casting
2007 Pro Taper 1-1/8 Handlebars
2008 Smaller fork lugs and shorter lower tubes. Brake calipers also reduced in size + wave rotors
2011 No more US model: Bigger silencer and a neutral switch for sound checks. Low compression head.
2015 New body work (compatible with 2002 - 2014 bikes) Smaller fork tubes (at top clamp) from the four stroke.
Source: vital mx thread

Bare in mind all engine, body and suspension parts can swap through all of these years so really its a wash to pick one year over another on a custom build. Really what you need to decide is steel over aluminum frame and that is about it. If you are an average rider that can't tell the difference between steel and aluminum frames then buy whatever year/model you can find cheap. If you are sensitive enough to know the difference between steel and aluminum then the choice is obvious. Bare in mind when the 02 YZ250 came out it was considered the best MX bike to ever roll off a showroom floor, was considered to be race ready off the showroom floor and hasn't changed at all since besides minor tuning and mods that can occur during a build to any year/model YZ250 since 02.

|

7/3/2017 6:43 PM

moore433 wrote:

I have a 07 yz 250 2 stroke that had belonged to Josh Demuth. Suspension is very good and I've never had a 2 stroke as crisp as this one. It hasn't been ridden much due to my multiple back surgeries and my son breaking his femur. I would make a good deal on it.
James 214-458-8024. Loc n. Dallas

Cheers James but I'm in the UK.

|

7/3/2017 6:46 PM

Manco wrote:

2002-2004 steel frame because steel frame. You will save money on the purchase price of the bike over an aluminum frame. This is good as you can use the money to build custom suspension which you would more then likely do no matter what year you buy if you are serious. Also with an 02 to 04 all plastics swap with newer models so need to worry about acquiring body bling for the build.

Before newer is better fanatics swoop in screaming newer is better consider the following:

2003 Exhaust port raised about 0.5mm and h-igher compression head for USA model.
2005 Aluminum frame (identical geometry and compatible with 2002-2004 parts) 48mm AOSS forks
2006 48mm KYB SSS forks and shock. I believe the swing arm also changed to a stiffer casting
2008 Smaller fork lugs and shorter lower tubes. Brake calipers also reduced in size + wave rotors
2011 No more US model: Bigger silencer and a neutral switch for sound checks. Low compression head.
2015 New body work (compatible with 2002 - 2014 bikes) Smaller fork tubes (at top clamp) from the four stroke.

Bare in mind all engine, body and suspension parts can swap through all of these years so really its a wash to pick one year over another on a custom build. Really what you need to decide is steel over aluminum frame and that is about it. If you are an average rider that can't tell the difference between steel and aluminum frames then buy whatever year/model you can find cheap. If you are sensitive enough to know the difference between steel and aluminum then the choice is obvious. Bare in mind when the 02 YZ250 came out it was considered the best MX bike to ever roll off a showroom floor, was considered to be race ready off the showroom floor and hasn't changed at all since besides minor tuning and mods that can occur during a build to any year/model YZ250 since 02.

Cheers this is all really helpful.

|

7/3/2017 7:25 PM

I am riding a 2001 YZ125 that I picked up for $100 and am having a great time ripping around on it. The real fun is screaming past guys on 450s and then watch them pull off the track when they get gapped. wink

|

Ed Johnson

7/4/2017 6:20 AM

Get that Husqvarna!!!!

|

7/4/2017 6:36 AM

How about a 300 TMPhoto

|

7/4/2017 7:19 AM

Tom711 wrote:

Manco wrote:

Everything Manco said......
No brainer.

|

7/4/2017 7:29 AM

I tested a 2017 husqvarna and a 2017 ktm sx250 and i chose the yamaha yz250. Because is just feel good for me. bought a brand new 2017 yz250. And it is 1000euro cheaper here, what u can spend on a good pipe and v-force.

|

7/4/2017 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2017 7:54 AM

Steel frame is the way to go. I saw a 2004 yz250 with sss suspenders for around 2500. I wanted it bad.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

7/4/2017 9:45 AM

If I had the funds, it would be a 2017 TX300 for sure, can't go wrong with e-start and the resale values on 300 off-road two strokes is insane.

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

7/4/2017 10:01 AM

Manco wrote:

Good info.. Have owned 02,04 steel framed YZ250's & have ridden 09,10,11 & 15 models. Even though they went to a AF in 05 the geometry felt the same to me in the handling dept.. The YZ 2T is a solid machine that doesn't really do anything exceptional, but is an all round good bike. It's got a decent engine in stock trim & is stable at faster speeds. While it doesn't turn as good as the CR or RM I'd pick it over the orange or white KTM's. I've ridden the new KTM's & wasn't impressed.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

7/4/2017 10:12 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with any YZ250, steelie or alum frame. Lot's on info out there to make them handle well, and ton's of options to tune/detune them to your liking. The 2016+ KTMs, 125/150/250 are great bikes, just you will have an air fork. More power from the orange/white bikes, but the used market is priced much higher.

|

7/4/2017 10:21 AM

KTM or Husky look pretty sweat

|

7/4/2017 11:32 AM

I'd more or less made my mind up on a new TC250 a few days ago but the more I think about a older YZ the more sense it makes. Financially it's a no brainer. Plus if I was to buy a beat up one it would give me something to do over winter. Them TMs are nice though unsure

|

7/4/2017 2:03 PM

Tom711 wrote:

Manco wrote:

H4L wrote:

Good info.. Have owned 02,04 steel framed YZ250's & have ridden 09,10,11 & 15 models. Even though they went to a AF in 05 the geometry felt the same to me in the handling dept.. The YZ 2T is a solid machine that doesn't really do anything exceptional, but is an all round good bike. It's got a decent engine in stock trim & is stable at faster speeds. While it doesn't turn as good as the CR or RM I'd pick it over the orange or white KTM's. I've ridden the new KTM's & wasn't impressed.

H4L,
What didn't impress you about the new KTM 250sx? Was it stock?

|

7/4/2017 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2017 2:42 PM

Joko wrote:

H4L,
What didn't impress you about the new KTM 250sx? Was it stock?

As far as I know it was stock. I will say they've come a long way from when I had a 93 CR250r & a fellow worker at the time had a 92 KTM250 2t. I wasn't impressed with how it handled. It felt different to the 4 Japanese brands owned & for the price tag it's not worth it IMO. I would personally never pay about $8,500 for one when I can pick up a low hr. CR or YZ for around $3K on CL. They are over-hyped & for the current technology the KTM's aren't that much better than a CR, YZ or RM that is a 10 yr older technology.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about in the link below. One rider is on an 02 CR250r & the other is on a 17 KTM 250 or 300 2T. These two guys were on the podium for 1st & 2nd place finishes. You can skip to the 17 min. mark for the start of the racing action if you don't want to hear the intro.. The 02 CR2 appears to only have a Dep pipe with a stock engine & suspension work.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_rb-1yfDUAhVjx1QKHR_JBREQyCkIKDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DA4eNJop_KC8&usg=AFQjCNFKILJTekeWeTPdPSWDKBLZz7SRIA

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

7/4/2017 2:57 PM

Thanks for the input, is the handling too quick? MXA went to +1mm offset on the triple clamps and a longer rear link to drop the rear a bit and got some more stability....

|

7/4/2017 3:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2017 3:02 PM

Here's the second episode to the video H4L shared, skip to around 16 minutes and turn it up. There really is no better sound than a crisp 125 on the pipe.
|

7/4/2017 3:29 PM

You cannot go wrong either way. I liked the KTM in every way, shape, and form. Rebuilding a bike is awesome and satisfying, but there is nothing like a new bike. You can replace every bit and bolt on a bike, but it never has that brand new feel.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/4/2017 3:50 PM

Photo
My 04 sss forks, swingarm and shock from an 09 yz450. I absolutely love it. I spent 4k total building it! It's setup exactly the way I want it! I just finished putting a kx500 motor in it! If we didn't have so much sand here I would have been totally content with the 250 motor though. Find a used steel frame YZ and build it you won't be disappointed.

|

7/4/2017 4:21 PM

I paid $100 for this and then rebuilt the motor put on 2004 250f forks and shock and cleaned it up and I am having a great time on it. smile smile The YZ 250 is fun but having more fun on the 125. I had a 2012 KTM 450 that I rode for a year when I was selling it for my brother and the suspension on my old 125 is still way better than the KTM. pinch

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Ed Johnson

7/4/2017 4:32 PM

Photo

Having more fun on my 04 RM250...awesome vet class bike!
|