Back protection

Related:
Create New Tag

3/19/2021 5:25 PM

Any studies done on the best back protection. Would love to see a magazine or someone do a protection review. Hoping some euro mag or something I haven't seen has an in depth review.

I don't care about something being too hot or restrictive I race amateur and it doesn't matter what feels better. I just want the most protective back protection available. Also, fitting with my atlas neck brace would be important.

The Rxr, Alpinestars nuclear kr3, and a few leatts look pretty impressive.

|

1983 YZ 250K, 1983 CR 250, 1982 CT110, 1978 Maico 440

3/19/2021 6:38 PM

I’m digging the Leatt 4.5. Great back protection and doesn’t feel bad as an under protector. It’s on the heavy side, but with that amount of protection, I’d say the weight is a given.

I don’t think you could go wrong with the A4 or RXR also

|

3/19/2021 8:57 PM

A10 is impressive and non-restrictive.

|

3/20/2021 7:42 AM

Try to get something with at least CE2 level protection. Most of the padding used by these companies is garbage, although it has gotten better lately.

I like my Leatt, good protection, not too heavy or hot and lots of small details that the others don't seem to do.

|

3/22/2021 3:44 AM

I fractured my T8 and T9 while wearing an Atlas neck brace and Atlas chest/back protector. Thank God I have no paralysis. Don't know if equipment help me, but pretty sure it didn't hurt. I'm very thankful, as it could have been much worse.

|

3/22/2021 5:34 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

I’m digging the Leatt 4.5. Great back protection and doesn’t feel bad as an under protector. It’s on the heavy side, but with ...more

I too like the 4.5. It's been great for me and I'm a bit of a bigger guy too.

I think a lot of people need to watch for the CE certs as most of the market is filled with roost guards or "protection" that offers no real signs of it being tested.

|

3/22/2021 5:38 AM

I’m less interested in impact protection and more interested in support, my lower back is junk after a couple injuries. Something like a weightlifting belt? Are kidney belts still a thing?

|

RPM Performance
CT

3/22/2021 10:03 AM

I had a kidney belt on also.

|

3/22/2021 2:02 PM

Madmax31 wrote:

Any studies done on the best back protection. Would love to see a magazine or someone do a protection review. Hoping some euro ...more

Have you checked out the atlas guardian? I ride with it, seems like good back protection and works good with atlas neck brace.

|

3/22/2021 2:40 PM

murph783 wrote:

I’m less interested in impact protection and more interested in support, my lower back is junk after a couple injuries. ...more

I was in the same boat. Tried kidney belts but they don't really help. Ended up going down the rabbit hole of trying to solve the underlying issues that caused my back to be so messed up, took me like a decade to get it squared away to where I can live/ride pain free*

*most the time lol

|

3/22/2021 4:02 PM

Fox proframe is nice.

|

3/22/2021 4:14 PM

murph783 wrote:

I’m less interested in impact protection and more interested in support, my lower back is junk after a couple injuries. ...more

Skerby wrote:

I was in the same boat. Tried kidney belts but they don't really help. Ended up going down the rabbit hole of trying to solve ...more

Yeah, realistically I should probably get surgery, I’ve been avoiding it for...7 years? 8? I’m gonna give one more crack at losing some weight and building muscle around the spine, but failing that I think it’s time

|

RPM Performance
CT

3/22/2021 4:34 PM

I was looking at that new Troy Lee's Rockfight unit for my son, looks pretty good.

https://troyleedesigns.ca/collections/protection/products/rockfight-ce-chest-protector-white?variant=34757647106092

|

3/22/2021 9:07 PM

I really like my RXR. Between the air chambers and the foam, it protects quite well. I've fallen a couple times with it on, definitely helped ease the impact.

|

3/23/2021 10:07 AM

Madmax31 wrote:

Any studies done on the best back protection. Would love to see a magazine or someone do a protection review. Hoping some euro ...more

Leatt has a few pieces that will offer great protection: 4.5 chest protector, 5.5 Pro HD, & the 6.5 Pro chest protector each offer CE level 2 impact protection for the Chest and Back, as well offer coverage and padding for the Rib/Flank area. Check them out: https://leatt.com/us/shop/moto/protection/chest-armour

|

3/23/2021 11:08 AM

Madmax31 wrote:

Leatt wrote:

Leatt has a few pieces that will offer great protection: 4.5 chest protector, 5.5 Pro HD, & the 6.5 Pro chest protector ...more

I noticed that you don't have any impact shorts that would protect the hips with CE 2 protection, why is that? I ended up having to go with some Klim impact shorts/pants because I couldn't match the protection for my Leatt 3dF air fit vest.

Having broken a hip due to impact, I have found this to be an area of need in the protection category that only Klim seems to be addressing.

|