Back Protection on a chest protector?

MxProdigy17
Hey guys, I had recently purchased an Atlas Brace and with that I mistakenly purchased the chest protector with out the back guard.

My question is, is it worth paying the 60 dollars extra (40 + shipping) that it is going to cost me for the protection on the back? Before I fork over the money I just want to confirm that it will be worth while to do so or if the one that I had purchased will get the job done.

Tyler
|
5/26/2017 7:49pm
Absolutely.

Just think of taking a handle bar, rear tire, sprocket, lever, etc to the spine. I have the Fox ProFrame and love it.
mxb2
5/26/2017 7:56pm
Absolutely.

Just think of taking a handle bar, rear tire, sprocket, lever, etc to the spine. I have the Fox ProFrame and love it.
X2, I also use the pro frame. Front and back,. Light, comfortable. Fyi, iron pony have them for $79 on sale, .check out Iron Pony. Columbus Ohio,they ship.
MxProdigy17
5/26/2017 8:06pm
Thanks guys, I'll be returning the one I ordered and ordering the proper one. I knew that's what I should do just wanted to get confirmation before I bit the bullet. That's what I get for not reading the fine print... kinda silly when Atlas has pictures of the one with back protection on the page but come to find out isn't the one pictured.

The Shop

dirtnapper
5/26/2017 9:40pm
I feel like there's something missing when I ride without a full back / front chest protector. I have an older Thor one but it's super light, comfy and does the job. I rarely ride without it.
JMR1976
5/26/2017 9:47pm
Think Jessy Nelson, then ask yourself if the $100 was worth even just a %1 chance of not being paralyzed.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
5/26/2017 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 10:45pm
JMR1976 wrote:
Think Jessy Nelson, then ask yourself if the $100 was worth even just a %1 chance of not being paralyzed.
Wearing a chest protector is not going to protect you from much. They are called roost protectors.

I was wearing a hard plastic one with back coverage when I had my accident and had I not worn one on that day I still would be in the situation that I am in. It takes a certain amount of force to break a spine. In my case I went over the bars and landed on my chest. The force that I experienced was enough to shatter my T6 vertebra.

In Jesse's case take a look at his accident. He wasn't going all that fast when it happened. Mine was over a small double his was coming in a corner.

Roost protectors are great if you trail ride in tricky terrain and happen to fall off the bike onto rocks, stumps, branches, etc. On a moto track they're OK when it comes to a first turn pile up and someone accidentally runs in the back of you and things of that sort but if someone happens to directly land on your back from so many feet in the air sure it'll help but it won't be the deciding factor in if you become paralyzed or not.

That's what I think and I am all for wearing as much protection as you can. If you really want as much protection as you can look into the RXR inflatable protectors. They're still not going to save you from a tragic accident but they do offer more protection than the plastic ones or under jersey ones.

Remember that wearing some protection is better than none.

Stay safe and have fun!
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
5/26/2017 10:19pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Wearing a chest protector is not going to protect you from much. They are called roost protectors. I was wearing a hard plastic one with back...
Wearing a chest protector is not going to protect you from much. They are called roost protectors.

I was wearing a hard plastic one with back coverage when I had my accident and had I not worn one on that day I still would be in the situation that I am in. It takes a certain amount of force to break a spine. In my case I went over the bars and landed on my chest. The force that I experienced was enough to shatter my T6 vertebra.

In Jesse's case take a look at his accident. He wasn't going all that fast when it happened. Mine was over a small double his was coming in a corner.

Roost protectors are great if you trail ride in tricky terrain and happen to fall off the bike onto rocks, stumps, branches, etc. On a moto track they're OK when it comes to a first turn pile up and someone accidentally runs in the back of you and things of that sort but if someone happens to directly land on your back from so many feet in the air sure it'll help but it won't be the deciding factor in if you become paralyzed or not.

That's what I think and I am all for wearing as much protection as you can. If you really want as much protection as you can look into the RXR inflatable protectors. They're still not going to save you from a tragic accident but they do offer more protection than the plastic ones or under jersey ones.

Stay safe and have fun!
Agreed.
steve_97060
5/26/2017 10:31pm
Thanks guys, I'll be returning the one I ordered and ordering the proper one. I knew that's what I should do just wanted to get confirmation...
Thanks guys, I'll be returning the one I ordered and ordering the proper one. I knew that's what I should do just wanted to get confirmation before I bit the bullet. That's what I get for not reading the fine print... kinda silly when Atlas has pictures of the one with back protection on the page but come to find out isn't the one pictured.
good call.

Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't.
Pete Seeger
tempura
5/27/2017 4:59am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Wearing a chest protector is not going to protect you from much. They are called roost protectors. I was wearing a hard plastic one with back...

Stay safe and have fun!
I wear the RXR Bullet protector.
I believe it offers probably the best protection out there.
It is bulky and very hot, that's the trade off, but it's worth it in my opinion.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
5/27/2017 6:45am
Absolutely.

I agree on the Proframe. And to add to the list of things that could do nasty damage to the backside, the footpegs would be one of the worst. One of the nastiest injuries I've seen is a a rider who got impaled with a sharp footpeg in the back.
Forty
5/27/2017 7:18am
Hey guys, I had recently purchased an Atlas Brace and with that I mistakenly purchased the chest protector with out the back guard. My question is...
Hey guys, I had recently purchased an Atlas Brace and with that I mistakenly purchased the chest protector with out the back guard.

My question is, is it worth paying the 60 dollars extra (40 + shipping) that it is going to cost me for the protection on the back? Before I fork over the money I just want to confirm that it will be worth while to do so or if the one that I had purchased will get the job done.

Tyler
Yes. It's worth it. Foot pegs in the back are nasty
motodriller
5/27/2017 7:20am
Just do it.
I have one.
I took a trip over the bars in 5th gear.

I saved my back.
MR. X
5/27/2017 11:25am
My 125 came around and landed square across my back and broke the back piece . My back was super sore but im guessing it helped reduce some of the impact.
Lunch_Box
5/27/2017 11:48am
JMR1976 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Stay safe and have fun!
A lot of the chest/back protection these guys wear have built in spine protection. As in example I just bought the Atlas Guardian light chest protector to go with my Atlas neck brace and it has CE EN1621-2 Level 2 back protection. These things like you said aren't going to save you from everything the wife has a little more comfort knowing Im wearing it.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
5/27/2017 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 1:07pm
Like I mentioned above it's better to wear some protection than nothing at all. Wear as much protection as you can tolerate. I had every amount of protection you could have aside of elbow guards and a neck brace. I never liked wearing elbow guards and at the time I had never worn a neck brace and I believe they were fairly new to the market. Would I wear one today if I could get out of bed tomorrow and be fully healed? Absolutely.

A guy we know was paralyzed in a moto accident about a month before me and his was similar to Jesse's. Came in a sandy corner, laid it over, fell off and couldn't get back up. Would a chest/roost protector have helped him? No. This guy had a lot more experience than me and it still happened. There's always a chance that things like these could happen. When I heard about his accident I was shocked and never thought I would find myself in that same situation just over a month later.

When I was about a month into rehab the new roommate that moved in was also paralyzed in a moto accident. His was on a dirt road. Lost traction, hit a big rock on the side of the road and could get up.

Just last winter I read a story about someone that came out of there house and slipped on a patch of ice and was paralyzed from the neck down.

It really was a coincidence that 3 guys all from the same region were paralyzed in moto related accidents but there was plenty of other people there that were in the same situation from car accidents, street bike accidents, fell off a roof, etc.

It doesn't matter where you ride, what you ride or what you do. Moto is dangerous just like any other sport. I've heard of people that lost their life fishing. Is fishing dangerous? That depends how you look at it I guess. Those fisherman's weren't paralyzed but they lost their life and in my opinion fishing is not dangerous compared to moto. Although the situation I'm in sucks I'd rather be alive than dead.

Moral of the story. Don't let fear take over your life. You only have one so do as much as you can when you can.
elche232
5/27/2017 2:03pm
Hey guys, I had recently purchased an Atlas Brace and with that I mistakenly purchased the chest protector with out the back guard. My question is...

Tyler
T.L.D makes a really good chest pro. Compact but lots of protection!! Way more than a roost guard!! Anything to protect your spine from impact no matter how little.. is a good thing!!

Post a reply to: Back Protection on a chest protector?

The Latest