BT101 tellin' it like it is

grover738
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 12:34pm

LINK

Money quotes:

Racer X: I know this is sort of starting on a downer, but you won that moto, but you killed Shorty. What happened there? What was the story with that?
Ben Townley: I was going for it. I wanted to win.

Did you think you would hit or did you think he would let off?
I thought he would let off, yeah. Maybe he didn’t know I was there. I don’t know, it’s racing. It’s motocross. It happens and I don’t know what else to say.

Somebody asked me right afterward why you would do that, and I said, "Dude, I would take out my mom to win a moto at the MXoN."
Without a doubt. I wanted to win. For me, it’s important to get back to that level that I know I can be, and I think I proved that once I got to the front. That little German f&#$er is a fast one...

Kind of refreshing to hear some brutal honesty, IMO.
|
peelout719
10/1/2010 8:01am
race to win god dammit, if someone ahead of you is slowing you down then you gotta get by at any cost.

always been a big fan of BT
adamdf
10/1/2010 8:07am
x2.....In racing, you need to know how "to make things happen" thats why BT has won championships, its riders like that that always stand a chance at winning, the guy has got crazy determination and works hard, what's not to admire about that?
DPR250R
10/1/2010 8:09am
It'll be fun to watch the payback.

The Shop

mxgeoff
10/1/2010 8:09am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2010 8:10am
grover738 wrote:
[url=http://www.racerxonline.com/article/5-minutes-with-ben-townley-10-1-10.aspx]LINK [/url] Money quotes: Racer X: I know this is sort of starting on a downer, but you won that moto, but you killed Shorty. What...

LINK

Money quotes:

Racer X: I know this is sort of starting on a downer, but you won that moto, but you killed Shorty. What happened there? What was the story with that?

I thought he would let off, yeah. Maybe he didn’t know I was there. I don’t know, it’s racing. It’s motocross. It happens and I don’t know what else to say.

Somebody asked me right afterward why you would do that, and I said, "Dude, I would take out my mom to win a moto at the MXoN."
Without a doubt. I wanted to win. For me, it’s important to get back to that level that I know I can be, and I think I proved that once I got to the front. That little German f&#$er is a fast one...

Old school guys from the 1970's and 80's would have put Andrew into the mechanics area. I didn't see the crash, but BT isn't a dirty rider at all.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/1/2010 8:30am
Interesting contrast to his comments about Alessi at Glen Helen.

Not really a criticism, though: it's human nature, for better and worse, to see one's own actions as fair and other people's actions that affect you as unfair.
mxgeoff
10/1/2010 8:35am
Interesting contrast to his comments about Alessi at Glen Helen. Not really a criticism, though: it's human nature, for better and worse, to see one's own...

Not really a criticism, though: it's human nature, for better and worse, to see one's own actions as fair and other people's actions that affect you as unfair.
True
Billy Jack
10/1/2010 8:39am
Interesting contrast to his comments about Alessi at Glen Helen. Not really a criticism, though: it's human nature, for better and worse, to see one's own...

True, we even do that with pour favorite riders. If Pourcel slams someone, it's good racing. Townley does it to Short and Ben's an a-hole. I say it's racing Hannah style!
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/1/2010 8:40am

Yes, I wonder how he would handle it if after the incident Shorty hailed him over to the Honda rig and lectured him about the proper way to go about things like BT did to Alessi. My guess is BT would have told Short to fuck off, just like Alessi should have done to him.

My take is (1) the MXdN incident was indeed just a racing incident as BT says, and (2) when, at the time of his choosing, Shorty decides to punt BT off the track it will also be just a racing incident. I personally hope Shorty gets his moneys worth.

BobbyM
10/1/2010 8:46am
grover738 wrote:
[url=http://www.racerxonline.com/article/5-minutes-with-ben-townley-10-1-10.aspx]LINK [/url] Money quotes: Racer X: I know this is sort of starting on a downer, but you won that moto, but you killed Shorty. What...

LINK

Money quotes:

mxgeoff wrote:
Old school guys from the 1970's and 80's would have put Andrew into the mechanics area. I didn't see the crash, but BT isn't a dirty...
Old school guys from the 1970's and 80's would have put Andrew into the mechanics area. I didn't see the crash, but BT isn't a dirty rider at all.
nope, but he seems to be a whiny ball buster at that. i never ever once heard rocket rex or bob hannah whine about being passed harshly. bt is a fast mofo that's for sure.
40Plus_922mx
10/1/2010 8:46am
It was a zero respect take out plain and simple. Justify it any way you want. Berluti, and Kehoe couldn't even call it what it was on the KW and the other guy podcast. This sport is getting so dang pc it makes me sick. I aint saying don't do it. But when you do it, call it what it is.

"He was gonna let off" "It was aggressive". Um no, I center punched him, and knocked him off his bike and on the ground. Period. And yes I will not cry when he dishes me mine in the future.
10/1/2010 8:48am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2010 8:51am
Humm.... I don't know.

It's alright to sit here and say "Yeah right on Ben" etc etc, but you've got to stick yourself's in Andrews postion. It isn't so fun then.

Of course bashing bars is a part of racing and sometimes mistakes happen and that's understandable. But purposely removing someone from their motorcycle or riding in a wreckless way that is likely to cause an incident, is going too far. I know he didn't say that exactly but you can sort of tell in that interview he didn't really care one way or the other whether Shorty stayed up.

As FreshTopEnd said, an interesting contrast in comments between that and Glen Helen.
peelout719
10/1/2010 8:49am

Billy Jack wrote:
True, we even do that with pour favorite riders. If Pourcel slams someone, it's good racing. Townley does it to Short and Ben's an a-hole. I...
True, we even do that with pour favorite riders. If Pourcel slams someone, it's good racing. Townley does it to Short and Ben's an a-hole. I say it's racing Hannah style!
very true.

if shorty was passing ben and put him down this place would be completely behind him for it. more of it has to do with the race than the racers imo.
jamma10
10/1/2010 8:52am

I think Alessi deliberately cut across Townleys line (whether he meant to take his wheel out or not, I dont know) whereas Townley and Short went into the corner almost side by side and Short got pinned between Ben and the high berm with nowhere to go.
The Townley/Short incident didn't look pre-determined to me, whereas Alessi's seemed to be.

mxgeoff
10/1/2010 8:53am

Billy Jack wrote:
True, we even do that with pour favorite riders. If Pourcel slams someone, it's good racing. Townley does it to Short and Ben's an a-hole. I...
peelout719 wrote:
very true. if shorty was passing ben and put him down this place would be completely behind him for it. more of it has to do...
very true.

if shorty was passing ben and put him down this place would be completely behind him for it. more of it has to do with the race than the racers imo.
And Canard cleaned Marmont out and I haven't heard a word on that.
BobbyM
10/1/2010 8:57am
Billy Jack wrote:
peelout719 wrote:
very true. if shorty was passing ben and put him down this place would be completely behind him for it. more of it has to do...
very true.

mxgeoff wrote:
i just heard one....haHAHAHAHAHAH
mx-frog
10/1/2010 9:00am

He's just one of those guys who cries when he gets hit,but it's just racing when he does it to another rider. I lost a ton fo respect for BT,was cheering him on all season. Not about the move, but the double standard. If I was Short I would be smiling and saying all right Mother-trucker your going down after reading this,cause it's just racing bitch. [smile]
mx-frog
10/1/2010 9:08am
Billy Jack wrote:
peelout719 wrote:
very true.

mxgeoff wrote:
Did you see the pass Geoff? I think Marmount cleaned himself out. The problem with BT's pass is everyone saw him cry on tv/internet about Alessi pass at the USGP .That pass was nothing compared to his move and then it just racing? Maybe he's been riding with Bubba and his brother so he lost all consideration for anyone on the track but himself? [smile]
JB 19
10/1/2010 9:10am
You are not supposed to make yourself easy to pass, but Short has a history of weaving and blocking like crazy. BT probably thought it was going to be more of the same and didn't feel like dealing with it.

I have always thought that if Short rode his own race he would be better off. Instead, he gets a killer start and blocks like crazy until the dam breaks and then he gets blitzed by the next 5 guys.

Maybe those 5 guys would have passed him anyway.......but pumping his arms up and putting his mind in a frenzy doesn't help.
mx-frog
10/1/2010 9:15am

jamma10 wrote:
I think Alessi deliberately cut across Townleys line (whether he meant to take his wheel out or not, I dont know) whereas Townley and Short went...
I think Alessi deliberately cut across Townleys line (whether he meant to take his wheel out or not, I dont know) whereas Townley and Short went into the corner almost side by side and Short got pinned between Ben and the high berm with nowhere to go.
The Townley/Short incident didn't look pre-determined to me, whereas Alessi's seemed to be.

Don't see it that way. Did alessi look back-no. Did BT lose drive and was in corner behind MA -Yes. Was MA ahead of BT when contact was made -yes.This happens in racing all the time. Did BT cry wolf in inerview after the moto-yes.
mxgeoff
10/1/2010 9:16am
peelout719 wrote:
very true.

mxgeoff wrote:
mx-frog wrote:
Did you see the pass Geoff? I think Marmount cleaned himself out. The problem with BT's pass is everyone saw him cry on tv/internet about Alessi...
Did you see the pass Geoff? I think Marmount cleaned himself out. The problem with BT's pass is everyone saw him cry on tv/internet about Alessi pass at the USGP .That pass was nothing compared to his move and then it just racing? Maybe he's been riding with Bubba and his brother so he lost all consideration for anyone on the track but himself? [smile]
I didn't see it, but Van Horebeek was right behind them and clearly said that Canard cleaned Marmont out.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
10/1/2010 9:17am
I was coming to make this very same topic. Props to Townley for not sidestepping the question or sugar coating a politically correct answer.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/1/2010 9:17am
Shorty said afterward, "Now I know how to race him, and I won't leave the inside open."
10/1/2010 9:20am
mx-frog wrote:
Did you see the pass Geoff? I think Marmount cleaned himself out. The problem with BT's pass is everyone saw him cry on tv/internet about Alessi...
The entire MX community has slept on that topic since then. It was 4 months ago. Why is that relevant to everyone NOW? Let's bring back every block pass he's ever been apart of if we're going to do that.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/1/2010 9:21am

jamma10 wrote:
I think Alessi deliberately cut across Townleys line (whether he meant to take his wheel out or not, I dont know) whereas Townley and Short went...

For me, I didn't see enough on video to have an opinion on the Lakewood deal and I'm not sure anyone who didn't see it with his own eyes really can either. I thought Mike's pass on BT was good racing. Then again, I still think Windham's move on DV a few years ago at Phoenix was one of the more beautiful bits of racing I'd seen in a long time.

Face it, none of these guys hold a candle to early Carmichael. RC absolutely demolished people. Geoff's right, too, GP banging in the 70's, early 80's was vicious.

Ben's comments after GH:

Can you talk about what happened between you and Alessi in the first moto that ended your run up front, more or less?

It’s just Mike being his usual self... You know, I passed him around the outside, and I was in front of him, and out of nowhere, he squared the turn off... To be fair, because of the way I passed him, I didn’t quite hit my turn right, and he had every right to come up the inside of me, but I was going in one direction and he was going in almost the opposite direction of that; we were doing a left-hand turn, and he was sort of veering off to the right, so... It’s just him. Nothing more to say about that. Did you see me go out off the start line [for the parade lap before moto two] and just roost the hell out of him? He was going up on the side of me, and I jumped my back wheel off the ground and just f@#%in’ showered him... [Laughs]

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/monday-conversation-ben-townley-5-31-10.aspx
mx-frog
10/1/2010 9:25am
Has nothing to do with the either passe, Just have problem with people who do to other's and but cry when done to them.
10/1/2010 9:32am
Billy Jack wrote:
peelout719 wrote:
very true.

mxgeoff wrote:
how do you clean someone out when they hit you from behind???

your a journalist, not a spin doctor working for an american politician. lol

the BT/AS deal... saw it live, saw the live replay, saw the different camera angle. Agressive, yes. A tbone or punt, no. They came together, it happens. I agree, I would take out my mom to win the moto in the o'Nations. And Im a huge Shorty fan! Hes a big boy, hes done the same to others, had it done to him, just caught him off guard. Its racing.

Hannah would take one look at it and say you had a clean track in front of you, dont let him get that close to Shorty. To BT he would have said, why was he able to pick his bike up? If youre going to do it, do it right BT.

peelout719
10/1/2010 9:32am
mx-frog wrote:
Has nothing to do with the either passe, Just have problem with people who do to other's and but cry when done to them.
re-read what ben said in both interviews... where is the crying?

i've read the one with him and alessi a few times and don't see it.

maybe some of you guys are just so damned sensitive that it doesn't matter what he says your opinion will stick. pretty short sighted no?
lucero10x
10/1/2010 9:34am
From the public remarks neither one of them is crying too hard about the deal. Maybe some of us keyboard jockeys should take this opportunity to learn about a thing called a racing incident. Was it fair? No. Was it pleasant? No. Was it intentional? Not completely. That's racing, if you can't deal with that you aren't cut out for this sport.

Post a reply to: BT101 tellin' it like it is

The Latest