BH,RJ,MC,RC,JS,RV - all had that "I hate losing more than I love winning" attitude!

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2016 1:13am
I don't see it in todays racing, 250s and 450s, well maybe Webb. Also, there's no rivalries like RC vs JS vs CR! Did you guys see the lovefest after the 450 main? Everyone came up and congratulated Dungey, like "Good job buddy, you just kicked our ass again". I was really surprised by Kroc! I mean, there's respect, but c'mon man, really!

Yep, I started another thread on the boring personalities saga of the 450 class!
|
mxb2
2/14/2016 8:22am
Todays soft society. SickSick
Jimmy_Sloan
2/14/2016 8:29am
rcm406 wrote:
I don't see it in todays racing, 250s and 450s, well maybe Webb. Also, there's no rivalries like RC vs JS vs CR! Did you guys...
I don't see it in todays racing, 250s and 450s, well maybe Webb. Also, there's no rivalries like RC vs JS vs CR! Did you guys see the lovefest after the 450 main? Everyone came up and congratulated Dungey, like "Good job buddy, you just kicked our ass again". I was really surprised by Kroc! I mean, there's respect, but c'mon man, really!

Yep, I started another thread on the boring personalities saga of the 450 class!
Back in the day, getting second to MC was considered a win.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/14/2016 8:34am
Agreed! If these guys had that attitude still then Roczen and Tomac would have got by Canard in the first 3 or 4 laps like they should have instead of following for so damn long. I read an interview with Bradshaw a few months ago and he talked about how nice it is to see the guys making he money they do now but, because of that you don't see the drive to win like you did before. You have guys that are content finishing 6th instead of being pissed because they didn't win. He also talked about the friendship all these guys seem to have and mentioned how much he couldn't stand any of his competition, just wanted to out right beat them every week and didn't care if he had any "friends" on the track. These damned kids my age and younger are too "Sanders 2016" now... Please future pros of our sport, have more of a Bradshaw, RC, MC, RV, Hannah, RJ and JS attitude!
SKlein
2/14/2016 9:25am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 9:25am
Yeah, why congratulate the winner of a race. KRoc should have hopped off his bike and started throwing punches at Dungey to assert some dominance...

Also it would be appreciated if you could go throw this amazing thought into one of the other 18 threads before making your own.

The Shop

kiwifan
2/14/2016 10:09am
I think there are 2-3 riders who are faster than Dungey but are unable to be consistent in top starts and string together consistent laps like Dungey can, that makes Dungey actually a better rider even though others are faster.

Personally I have no issue with other riders congratulating Dungey, thats got nothing to do with their efforts on the track.
JW381
2/14/2016 10:14am
Bears. Dumbgeon. Can we refer to riders by their names? Or a name?
Jimmy_Sloan
2/14/2016 10:21am
SKlein wrote:
Yeah, why congratulate the winner of a race. KRoc should have hopped off his bike and started throwing punches at Dungey to assert some dominance... Also...
Yeah, why congratulate the winner of a race. KRoc should have hopped off his bike and started throwing punches at Dungey to assert some dominance...

Also it would be appreciated if you could go throw this amazing thought into one of the other 18 threads before making your own.
GrinningGrinning
Superdave19
2/14/2016 10:25am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 10:25am
The start is everything- several riders have win potential, but when the Dunge starts at the front every wkd, it's dang near impossible for guys like Anderson to play catch up w/a 8th place start. Here's a thought- why not award points (nominal-3-5) for heat race wins?- Also, how about a point or two for setting the fastest lap in the main?
rcm406
2/14/2016 10:29am
This is what 450 racing should be like! James and RC had a will to win like no other, even the mud races were intense! I think when RC retired, alittle bit of James retired too!

Crush
2/14/2016 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 6:22pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think there are 2-3 riders who are faster than Dungey but are unable to be consistent in top starts and string together consistent laps like...
I think there are 2-3 riders who are faster than Dungey but are unable to be consistent in top starts and string together consistent laps like Dungey can, that makes Dungey actually a better rider even though others are faster.

Personally I have no issue with other riders congratulating Dungey, thats got nothing to do with their efforts on the track.
BS.

Dungey has qualified quickest quite a lot and has also come through the pack to either 1st or 2nd where others have followed the guy in front of them inside the top 10.

Not pointing the finger at you mate, but the constant undercutting of Dungey's sheer speed has got to stop. He's probably the fastest "consistent" guy ever.
zehn
2/14/2016 6:25pm
Pussification of moto
Pussification of society
Broshow
Brolove
Racing was better with 2 strokes

Did I hit all the buzzwords right?
JW381
2/14/2016 6:38pm
zehn wrote:
Pussification of moto
Pussification of society
Broshow
Brolove

Its sad how right you are
zehn
2/14/2016 7:01pm
zehn wrote:
Pussification of moto
Pussification of society
Broshow
Brolove

JW381 wrote:
Its sad how right you are
It was irony, which is more sad
2/14/2016 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 9:19pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think there are 2-3 riders who are faster than Dungey but are unable to be consistent in top starts and string together consistent laps like...

Dungey once again- had the fastest main lap and has placed at or near the top of practice times as well this year. Gotta admit he's not only consistent but also has the speed this year.
2/14/2016 9:49pm
I was at That 06 torono race with my dad and I rememeber that night we thought Stewart was just messing with RC. Then he passed him two to go an checked out.
brewrabb
2/14/2016 10:07pm
kiwifan wrote:

Crush wrote:
BS. Dungey has qualified quickest quite a lot and has also come through the pack to either 1st or 2nd where others have followed the guy...
BS.

Dungey has qualified quickest quite a lot and has also come through the pack to either 1st or 2nd where others have followed the guy in front of them inside the top 10.

Not pointing the finger at you mate, but the constant undercutting of Dungey's sheer speed has got to stop. He's probably the fastest "consistent" guy ever.
True Crush, but what has to stop is Sheheen's man love for the Diesel. Almost hurled saturday night listening to Ralph go on, and on, and on,... about Dunge.
jasonv43
2/14/2016 11:52pm
You can thank RV for helping turn RD into who he is today.
mxfiend
2/15/2016 2:25pm
jasonv43 wrote:
You can thank RV for helping turn RD into who he is today.
And rv can thank jlaw for helping him become the man he is.and they can both thank js7 for the scrub.

And they just cant thank their sponsors or team
And the man above
blusmbl
2/15/2016 3:14pm
brewrabb wrote:
True Crush, but what has to stop is Sheheen's man love for the Diesel. Almost hurled saturday night listening to Ralph go on, and on, and...
True Crush, but what has to stop is Sheheen's man love for the Diesel. Almost hurled saturday night listening to Ralph go on, and on, and on,... about Dunge.
People complained about Ralph calling Reed "Gritty" all the time, or Stewart "the Fastest Man on the Planet". Ralph needs something to fill dead air with, and it works. Dungey is the guy to beat, so he deserves the commentary.
downard254
2/15/2016 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2016 3:47pm
rcm406 wrote:
I don't see it in todays racing, 250s and 450s, well maybe Webb. Also, there's no rivalries like RC vs JS vs CR! Did you guys...

You missed a good one, Mark Barnett. I think it was Bob Hannah who said that when the Bomber moved out to his grandparents farm to start practicing, everybody else was screwed. I still remember the story of piles of junk practice bikes he pounded into oblivion. Cool stuff.
DavidR
2/15/2016 6:44pm
rcm406 wrote:

Some of you guys are amazing. If "your guy" isn't winning then you get your panties all wadded up and can't appreciate anything you see. We all know "your guy" is James and since he is no longer winning or even racing for that matter you can't appreciate another guy who has finished either 1st or 2nd in 17 straight races. That's the equivalent of going a full SX season without finishing worse than 2nd. I'd say a guy who puts up those kinds of results in 17 straight races probably hates losing just as much as any of those guys that you mentioned.
jmx411
2/15/2016 6:48pm
Wait for next year when Cooper is in big boys class. Dude hates to lose
Mit12
2/15/2016 10:19pm
You don't think Dungey, Webb, Reed, Tomac and Jeremy Martin like finishing second? All these riders have dominated at one point in their careers. A rider does not dominate unless they hate loosing.
Flip109
2/16/2016 5:11am
Oh I know Dungey HATES to lose. I've seen it in his face and I think it was inside the outdoors a few years ago his mom was saying how mad he gets behind closed doors. He's very competitive. Also Webb is firecracker. He can't stand losing.
Grieby54
2/16/2016 5:20am
kiwifan wrote:

Crush wrote:
BS. Dungey has qualified quickest quite a lot and has also come through the pack to either 1st or 2nd where others have followed the guy...
BS.

This. 100%.
Grieby54
2/16/2016 5:22am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Agreed! If these guys had that attitude still then Roczen and Tomac would have got by Canard in the first 3 or 4 laps like they...
Agreed! If these guys had that attitude still then Roczen and Tomac would have got by Canard in the first 3 or 4 laps like they should have instead of following for so damn long. I read an interview with Bradshaw a few months ago and he talked about how nice it is to see the guys making he money they do now but, because of that you don't see the drive to win like you did before. You have guys that are content finishing 6th instead of being pissed because they didn't win. He also talked about the friendship all these guys seem to have and mentioned how much he couldn't stand any of his competition, just wanted to out right beat them every week and didn't care if he had any "friends" on the track. These damned kids my age and younger are too "Sanders 2016" now... Please future pros of our sport, have more of a Bradshaw, RC, MC, RV, Hannah, RJ and JS attitude!
Yea, it was their attitude that kept them from passing Trey. Not because Trey is fast as hell, but because they didn't have the right attitude.

Where do you guys come up with this crap?
BSmooth13
2/16/2016 6:49am
The title of this thread is funny, because sport psychology research and literature will actually tell you that elite athletes perform better when they are motivated by the pursuit of success, not when they are driven by the fear of failure. That said, despite the many discussions I had with my professors about this topic back in the day, I've always thought it interesting how some of the "best-of-the-best" athletes (MJ, for example) talked so much about hating to lose, and how winning was more of a relief that they didn't lose than a celebration of achievement.

I also think you won't see or hear that "fear of failure" attitude come out after races because the athletes are so hyper-aware of the fact that they are being watched and judged. I would be willing to bet that their attitudes are quite different in the truck after the races than in interviews or on the podium.

I definitely get your point - and can't say I disagree with it, either - but I don't know if I agree with the assumption that the current guys don't have that mindset just because we don't outwardly see it in settings which the riders know they are being watched by the public eye.
ATKpilot99
2/16/2016 7:01am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Agreed! If these guys had that attitude still then Roczen and Tomac would have got by Canard in the first 3 or 4 laps like they...
Grieby54 wrote:
Yea, it was their attitude that kept them from passing Trey. Not because Trey is fast as hell, but because they didn't have the right attitude...
Yea, it was their attitude that kept them from passing Trey. Not because Trey is fast as hell, but because they didn't have the right attitude.

Where do you guys come up with this crap?
That's what I was thinking . Roczen couldnt get quite close enough to put a wheel on him for the first half of the main . It's not like Trey was blocking him.
mark_swart
2/17/2016 4:44pm
I think you could really see that relief in RV during his last championship. Same for J Mart, which Im guessing is why he pretty much just cruised after he clinched outdoors last year.
I like to see them motivated, but if a guy is gapping you two seconds a lap, it is what it is. These guys seem to be pretty sophisticated and realistic for the most part.
peelout
2/17/2016 4:47pm
"i hate not getting laid more than i love getting laid"

-bro

Post a reply to: BH,RJ,MC,RC,JS,RV - all had that "I hate losing more than I love winning" attitude!

The Latest