BEIN Sports network

mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
Edited Date/Time 5/24/2013 5:22pm
I haven't seen anybody mention this network before but I was flying back home from Florida on JetBlue last week and scrolling through their Direct TV channels when I came across the World Superbike championship. I was excited as I watched these the last few years when they were on Speed. This year they don't cover them.

Anyway when I got home I scanned my Time Warner Cable channels and their it was the BEIN Sports channel. Channel 278 in Huntington Beach, Ca. It covers International sports, mostly soccer. I scanned through the week looking for more Superbike racing and the Brazilian MX GP was listed. I taped it and it was great. It wasn't HD but was still very good picture quality and a full 2 hours. It had Paul Malin doing the narrating so it was in english. they play it myltiple times in case you miss one.

Just a heads up for anybody that likes to watch the Euro stuff also.
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/24/2013 8:03am
Yeah I wish my plan included that with Verizon. It's on there and I did notice they cover the GPs but I have to pretty-much buy all the channels to get that one.

Can't wait for Apple or someone to sell individual channel subscriptions.
Huckster
5/24/2013 8:14am
I get it and have watched every GP so far this year. The usually are on the Tuesday following the race at 1pm est. Great coverage.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
5/24/2013 8:18am
I have BEIN HD on Dish Network. I too just stumbled upon it one day when some of the GP racing was on!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/24/2013 8:26am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2013 8:28am
The channel didn't even exist this time last year; it came on line in August without any contracts in place, but got picked up by DTV, Dish, and I think Comcast and maybe TW by last fall.

It's the sports branch of Al Jazreera, the Qatari news network that first got really noticed in the US during the Iraq war, but hasn't been able to secure wide distribution in the US. BeIn Sport is part of their initiative to gain a better foothold here in the US by softening resistance to the Al Jazeera brand. They paid huge money to outbid the current carrier for La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A soccer from Spain, France and Italy, before the even had broadcast contracts with the cable carriers, which was a pain for soccer lovers without access to those leagues because the carrier hasn't negotiated a contract with BeIn Sports. I think the channel still isn't available on smaller cable providers (it isn't on ours, and we've got a pretty solid sports roster, including NBCSN and Fuel in HD).

The Qataris have dumped a ton of money in to sports initiatives, including teams (primarily high level soccer), broadcast rights, pulling motorsports events to Qatar, and not least the World Cup in 2022. I'd guess the MX Gps made there way to BeIn Sport as part of the Qatar round coming to being.

The Shop

blumx357
5/24/2013 9:18am
FYI you can watch the races and qp live streaming at http://live.beinsportplay.tv/ if you don't get the channel.

I checked it on a whim and they were streaming Monza live at the very least, we'll see if they do the same this weekend for Donnington.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
5/24/2013 9:27am
TIME WARNER in oc does have it in HD, channel 378. the brazilian gp coverage was awesome.
Underdog999
5/24/2013 9:39am
The channel didn't even exist this time last year; it came on line in August without any contracts in place, but got picked up by DTV...
The channel didn't even exist this time last year; it came on line in August without any contracts in place, but got picked up by DTV, Dish, and I think Comcast and maybe TW by last fall.

It's the sports branch of Al Jazreera, the Qatari news network that first got really noticed in the US during the Iraq war, but hasn't been able to secure wide distribution in the US. BeIn Sport is part of their initiative to gain a better foothold here in the US by softening resistance to the Al Jazeera brand. They paid huge money to outbid the current carrier for La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A soccer from Spain, France and Italy, before the even had broadcast contracts with the cable carriers, which was a pain for soccer lovers without access to those leagues because the carrier hasn't negotiated a contract with BeIn Sports. I think the channel still isn't available on smaller cable providers (it isn't on ours, and we've got a pretty solid sports roster, including NBCSN and Fuel in HD).

The Qataris have dumped a ton of money in to sports initiatives, including teams (primarily high level soccer), broadcast rights, pulling motorsports events to Qatar, and not least the World Cup in 2022. I'd guess the MX Gps made there way to BeIn Sport as part of the Qatar round coming to being.
Al Jazeera?

SickSickEvilEvil

Enough said.
Feint
5/24/2013 12:09pm
I found this randomly airing the MXdN either before supercross started, or right near the beginning of the season. I forgot about it. I should make an effort to record the GPs.
SethGator
5/24/2013 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2013 12:21pm
just watched the Brazil GP yesterday, coverage is great. they do a outstanding job of WorldSBK coverage as well, dont give a shit who owns the outlet. it actually gives me a chance to watch the GPs and my favorite passion road racing.
ehr400
5/24/2013 12:33pm
Mine was in HD and I thought the coverage was awesome. They showed racing! Imagine that! Everything I thought was great, even though Malin has a mancrush on Herlings like Ralph has on Stewart.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
5/24/2013 2:37pm
The channel is listed on my Directv guide but it appears it is not in my current plan....
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
5/24/2013 2:39pm
I believe Al Jazeera purchased Current TV from Al Gore as well.

But that channel has pretty much sucked since they ditched the documentaries and moved to talking heads about politics all the time. I used to like the Vanguard series.
SethGator
5/24/2013 2:44pm
426Hemi wrote:
I believe Al Jazeera purchased Current TV from Al Gore as well. But that channel has pretty much sucked since they ditched the documentaries and moved...
I believe Al Jazeera purchased Current TV from Al Gore as well.

But that channel has pretty much sucked since they ditched the documentaries and moved to talking heads about politics all the time. I used to like the Vanguard series.
Vanguard and Deadliest Journeys were/are the shit.
RandyS
5/24/2013 5:22pm
I watched the Brazilian GP this morning. This is not to start an us vs them but it looked like Cairolli, DeSalle, and Herlings showed up at a local track to race the local pro class for gas money. There is no comparison to the setup and intensity of the US nationals.

Post a reply to: BEIN Sports network

The Latest