Axell Hodges down hard

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2019 7:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2019 7:26 AM

|

7/5/2019 7:25 AM

According to yahoo he broke both ankles.

|

7/5/2019 7:26 AM

That didnt go so well then.. Good that no worse injuries.

|

7/5/2019 7:26 AM

Two broken ankles, could have been way worse if he rotated any more before landing

|

7/5/2019 7:27 AM

Seems like a weird crash for Axel. Bummer though

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

7/5/2019 7:28 AM

He overshoots it by 5 more feet and he's dead for sure, as his body, not the bike, would have taken the impact.

|

7/5/2019 7:38 AM

Wow, that's as close as you can get to death

|

Not much to say to Vitards.

7/5/2019 7:40 AM

Shitty deal. Glad he’s ‘okay’ in the grand scheme of things. Crashing at those speeds and distances could easily kill a man.

|

7/5/2019 8:05 AM

He looked completely solid until the landing. When/why did he rotate the front up?

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

7/5/2019 8:06 AM

GWS! In the grand scheme of things, glad to say it was “only” two broken ankles...

|

7/5/2019 8:08 AM

Looked like he had not looped at the end he'd have stuck it no problem. At what feet was that at? Doesn't look stretched out all the way yet at all.

On the related, Bieber bought a new supermoto. Can't tell what the hell it is. Steel frame though.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/06/11/justin-bieber-drew-motorcycle-hailey-baldwin/

|

7/5/2019 8:13 AM

77Moto wrote:

Looked like he had not looped at the end he'd have stuck it no problem. At what feet was that at? Doesn't look stretched out all the way yet at all.

On the related, Bieber bought a new supermoto. Can't tell what the hell it is. Steel frame though.

KTM

|

I burn dirt for years, and I can burn it with the best of em. Kickin dirt, killin rabbits with dirt clods. We aint seen another human like that.

7/5/2019 8:16 AM

I was looking forward to this even more than last year’s show! Horrible news so close to the event.

I know this isn’t how show business works, but if they could postpone it and get me a Honda, I’d love to have the opportunity to fill in for him.

|

7/5/2019 8:17 AM

MxKing809 wrote:

He looked completely solid until the landing. When/why did he rotate the front up?

That's what I thought. I figure being in the air for that long just feels so unnatural. His muscle memory might take over and he thinks that he's closer to the ground than he actually is? That's a giant bummer though.

|

7/5/2019 8:19 AM

Man...long distance jumpers are just a different breed. Like others have said that is a very odd crash. He looked in total control until the end and everything went to shit in a hurry. With a rider as talented as Axell it is even more surprising to me. If he did get away with two broken ankles at a crash of that speed he is VERY fortunate. Get well young man.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

7/5/2019 8:30 AM

I think this is an example of how gnarly distance jumping is. There has to be a weird level of staying mutual in the air without the bike wanting to endo or loop out. Axell is a technical and calculated jumper, so I think this just shows the difficulty in long distance jumping and it isn't just about having the balls to hit a ramp that hard.

|

7/5/2019 8:36 AM

Looks like a brain fade. In previous jumps from other riders for distance you can clearly see and hear the rider adjusting with throttle application and rear brake taps to move the front end up and down.

Looks like he totally miffed it and didn't do anything. Gnarly.

|

Ironman Texas, May 17th, 2014, I became an IRONMAN.

7/5/2019 8:40 AM

77Moto wrote:

ReturnofJorddo wrote:

KTM

https://www.dubyausa.com/justin-biebers-2019-ktm-500-exc-f-by-bleach-design-werks/

|

7/5/2019 8:52 AM

Looks like he let the landing gear down too early, I always thought this was out of his league from jump street.

|

Wide Open until you see God then BRAKE!

7/5/2019 8:54 AM

MxKing809 wrote:

Just spit-ballin here, but I think he knew he was going long on the jump and was going to flat land it, thus the best way to soak up the flat landing by landing front end high to let the rear suspension take the hit. And at that speed and distance, he may have just over rotated a little. Glad he's ok. Could have gone much worse.

|

7/5/2019 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2019 8:56 AM

Looks to me like he realized he over-jumped it and was just trying to get the bike down on the ramp any way possible.

Beat me to it^^^^

|

7/5/2019 8:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2019 8:58 AM

Damn, dude...playing with the edge.

|

7/5/2019 8:59 AM

Looks like he thought he was going to land a little higher up on the ramp, gave it a bit of gas and at that speed the air probably lifted the front end up. ouch.

|

7/5/2019 9:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2019 9:07 AM

It looks like he went to brace for an over jump by pulling back a bit (as your quads are stronger than your arms, and the bottom of the ramp isn’t as steep, so you want to be flatter) and misjudged how long he had before landing on the ramp. That’s easy to misjudge when you’re going that fast. The landing just disappeared underneath him faster than he thought it would. I also think the bike moves more on its own once you’ve been in the air for that long. Shitty deal but I’d be happy to be able to see, breath, and feel my legs if I were him.

|

7/5/2019 9:06 AM

Too close to touchdown to do any adjusting with brake or throttle is what I suspect. Glad he’s “ok”

His counterpart on the show (Vikki Golden) broke both ankles a little over a year ago and she’s back at it. He’ll be back in due time

|

7/5/2019 9:09 AM

brocster wrote:

Too close to touchdown to do any adjusting with brake or throttle is what I suspect. Glad he’s “ok”

His counterpart on the show (Vikki Golden) broke both ankles a little over a year ago and she’s back at it. He’ll be back in due time

Hers honestly looked worse, as her bike took zero percent of the impact.

|

7/5/2019 9:09 AM

if all He got was broken ankles that is amazing.

Holy crap that is a leap.

|

7/5/2019 9:10 AM

Wow! How far was that jump? Heal up Axell!

|

I have so many down votes my down votes have their own down votes.

7/5/2019 9:11 AM

He's "lucky" to end up with only broken ankles. Massive cojones to be launching that far, very little margin for errors at that speed.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/5/2019 9:13 AM

What are the chances they call a fill in rider? 10%?

|