Axel Hodges 90k a year!?

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
4/11/2018 2:46am
He is living the life, why hate on him? How many of you would turn it down? Can't imagine a young man that loves to ride having a much better gig....
BobKerr
4/11/2018 3:06am
TannerMxer wrote:
I think I read a Forbes article that says in the greater Los Angeles area you need to make $131K as a single income family to...
I think I read a Forbes article that says in the greater Los Angeles area you need to make $131K as a single income family to be able to afford the median house price that hovers around $700K (for a dump mind you). And this is to ensure you aren't house poor.
Holy Shit!!! Do people actually buy houses that cost that much with so little income? They must not have any money left for food, gas, car, retirement savings account, etc.
JBecker 72
4/11/2018 3:27am
Again, how is that nepotism? What you're suggesting is that Axel and his brother's jobs existed before them and that they were given special favors by...
Again, how is that nepotism? What you're suggesting is that Axel and his brother's jobs existed before them and that they were given special favors by family to get those jobs over other equally or more qualified people.

You are forgetting to recognize that their jobs didn't exist in the first place. Axel and his brother created their own thing with their own talent and were able to partner with Monster Energy to capitalize on those talents. They created their own thing(s), supported by a wealthy father. Good for them. Not nepotism. It's nothing other than two dudes making cool shit that people like and getting paid for it.

They actually produce something that people like and consume. How many people can claim that at the end of the day? It's an envious and admirable way to make a living.
Cute narrative, but Axell was like 12 years old when Dirt Shark got Monster backing.
Your nepotism argument doesn’t hold water considering Axel’s talent. If Monster weren’t sponsoring him, Red Bull would be.

And $90k a year seems light to me.
BobPA
4/11/2018 5:08am
Does he even race?

The Shop

TJMX947
4/11/2018 5:28am
BobKerr wrote:
Holy Shit!!! Do people actually buy houses that cost that much with so little income? They must not have any money left for food, gas, car...
Holy Shit!!! Do people actually buy houses that cost that much with so little income? They must not have any money left for food, gas, car, retirement savings account, etc.
I was thinking the same thing. Throw in daycare, a few student loans and you're totally screwed!!! Kind of hard to buy a 10k dirt bike at that point. I had a personal finance professor say that your home price should never exceed 2.5 times your gross salary, and your mortgage should not be more than 25% your net monthly income.

Anyhoo, back to Axel...where is the "Slayground" and does Monster fund it? Its insane how much land costs in CA, it would be difficult to do that with your own money.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
4/11/2018 5:56am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 5:57am
Ok - read the thread and felt obligated to set you guys straight on all the misconceptions. Lots of cool stories but a lot of mis- information. I know this is going to be real close,

Phil Hodges (dad) - Awesome guy. Moto fan. Modest Living. Actually sponsored me when I would ship my bikes to races, get there, rent a uhaul and ship it to the next. Owns (owned?) a shipping / receiving company. He and his family lived in Encinitas, Ca. They got a new neighbor one day when his kids were young. It was Jeremy McGrath. Because of his personality and good nature, became friends with Jeremy.

Ash Hodges (Dirt Shark) - actually started as a bottom of the totem pole Alpinestars rider rep. Driving the van to races. if I would guess, making 35k a year. (My guess is based on I was a Sidi boot rep immediately after stoping racing) he got his foot in the door at Monster early. Worked his way from managing riders to doing the first dirt shark videos which consisted of mostly pit videos and monster athletes (and girls and girls and more girls) To what they do now.

Axel Hodges - was a kid that raced around so cal - was fast. Lived the so cal amateur life for a few years. They (the family) soon realized the amateur racing scene cost a shit ton of money, was crazy competitive and Axel probably want going to be in the upper 1% to make a living at it. He could of possibly, but before taking the risk and gamble they saw the social media side of things starting to be more of a payoff to sponsors. Along with his brothers they started filming and doing what we see now.

There is another brother, whom I have never met. Pretty sure he is behind the scenes with the video stuff and an integral part of producing them.

Personally I think it’s a pretty cool story. I know some people don’t like Dirt Shark for his “cool guy” attitude. Has always been cool with me. But to be a family who got a new neighbor one day, who was the king. They got into MX, then went out and blazed their own path....??? Pretty cool.

Talk about full circle, now MC is working with Monster and the Hodges family is working with him all the time. Also- “slayground” in the last video is at MC’s ranch in very east San Diego.
pmshortt2
4/11/2018 6:19am
I’m happy for him. When people are very successful people always try to downplay it for their own personal shortcomings. We are all capable of something great, weather you were born in the the slums with nothing or your pops owns a million dollar business to help you, neither is an excuse for a shortcoming. You either make excuses for why you couldn’t do this and that, or you go out and do “this and that” and not hate on the people who do.

It’s not Axel’s fault that his brother is Dirtshark is it? He makes money off of people’s attention, and he’s smart for it. He knows how to play the game. Good for him.
Naanak
4/11/2018 6:22am
Regis wrote:
Ok - read the thread and felt obligated to set you guys straight on all the misconceptions. Lots of cool stories but a lot of mis-...
Ok - read the thread and felt obligated to set you guys straight on all the misconceptions. Lots of cool stories but a lot of mis- information. I know this is going to be real close,

Phil Hodges (dad) - Awesome guy. Moto fan. Modest Living. Actually sponsored me when I would ship my bikes to races, get there, rent a uhaul and ship it to the next. Owns (owned?) a shipping / receiving company. He and his family lived in Encinitas, Ca. They got a new neighbor one day when his kids were young. It was Jeremy McGrath. Because of his personality and good nature, became friends with Jeremy.

Ash Hodges (Dirt Shark) - actually started as a bottom of the totem pole Alpinestars rider rep. Driving the van to races. if I would guess, making 35k a year. (My guess is based on I was a Sidi boot rep immediately after stoping racing) he got his foot in the door at Monster early. Worked his way from managing riders to doing the first dirt shark videos which consisted of mostly pit videos and monster athletes (and girls and girls and more girls) To what they do now.

Axel Hodges - was a kid that raced around so cal - was fast. Lived the so cal amateur life for a few years. They (the family) soon realized the amateur racing scene cost a shit ton of money, was crazy competitive and Axel probably want going to be in the upper 1% to make a living at it. He could of possibly, but before taking the risk and gamble they saw the social media side of things starting to be more of a payoff to sponsors. Along with his brothers they started filming and doing what we see now.

There is another brother, whom I have never met. Pretty sure he is behind the scenes with the video stuff and an integral part of producing them.

Personally I think it’s a pretty cool story. I know some people don’t like Dirt Shark for his “cool guy” attitude. Has always been cool with me. But to be a family who got a new neighbor one day, who was the king. They got into MX, then went out and blazed their own path....??? Pretty cool.

Talk about full circle, now MC is working with Monster and the Hodges family is working with him all the time. Also- “slayground” in the last video is at MC’s ranch in very east San Diego.
Like I said before good for them. I never understand why people hate on someone who made a good life for themselves. I was wrong about what I thought his dad did. Also like you said why waste money racing if you can get paid to do what you want through hard work. With the talent he has he would be getting paid wether his brother worked there or not.
tprice07
4/11/2018 6:38am
kb228 wrote:
90k isnt all that much in california money is it? Isnt that comparable to 50k for normal people
peelout wrote:
90k isn't bad at all when your living with mom/dad though

Haha this exactly.

Plus he is making a salary from Seven, BTO, Kawasaki, SPY, and I'm sure some underwear and sock companies...all that together he is doing pretty good. He's a talented guy on a bike and has 550k followers....breeds for some decent return.
TannerMxer
4/11/2018 6:52am
TannerMxer wrote:
I think I read a Forbes article that says in the greater Los Angeles area you need to make $131K as a single income family to...
I think I read a Forbes article that says in the greater Los Angeles area you need to make $131K as a single income family to be able to afford the median house price that hovers around $700K (for a dump mind you). And this is to ensure you aren't house poor.
BobKerr wrote:
Holy Shit!!! Do people actually buy houses that cost that much with so little income? They must not have any money left for food, gas, car...
That's the thing. People just make themselves straight house-poor. You really shouldn't spend more than 15-25% of your take-home income each month, but a lot people in SoCal are doing around 45-65% of their income is for their home (or just a car).

My wife and I bring in, what I consider a lot, around the Top 4% of household income in the US. We own a modest $232K home in the DFW area. We save the max 401K per year and we save emergency savings too. There's no way in hell I could ever spend $700K for a house, even though I could.

Even with that knowledge, it's just crazy that people in LA are buying homes that will most likely lose them because they are propped up on a loan that is completely unrealistic. To be honest, the housing market is in for another crash real soon like 2008. Banks are shady fucks that prey on people that shouldn't be owning a home.
bowser97
4/11/2018 7:05am
TannerMxer wrote:
BobKerr wrote:
TannerMxer wrote:
That's the thing. People just make themselves straight house-poor. You really shouldn't spend more than 15-25% of your take-home income each month, but a lot people...
That's the thing. People just make themselves straight house-poor. You really shouldn't spend more than 15-25% of your take-home income each month, but a lot people in SoCal are doing around 45-65% of their income is for their home (or just a car).

My wife and I bring in, what I consider a lot, around the Top 4% of household income in the US. We own a modest $232K home in the DFW area. We save the max 401K per year and we save emergency savings too. There's no way in hell I could ever spend $700K for a house, even though I could.

Even with that knowledge, it's just crazy that people in LA are buying homes that will most likely lose them because they are propped up on a loan that is completely unrealistic. To be honest, the housing market is in for another crash real soon like 2008. Banks are shady fucks that prey on people that shouldn't be owning a home.
I'm all for saving, but I'd rather live my life in my younger years than save everything for when I'm old. I've seen too many people save save save and die within 5 years of retirement.
TannerMxer
4/11/2018 7:10am
BobKerr wrote:
TannerMxer wrote:
That's the thing. People just make themselves straight house-poor. You really shouldn't spend more than 15-25% of your take-home income each month, but a lot people...

bowser97 wrote:
I'm all for saving, but I'd rather live my life in my younger years than save everything for when I'm old. I've seen too many people...
I'm all for saving, but I'd rather live my life in my younger years than save everything for when I'm old. I've seen too many people save save save and die within 5 years of retirement.
I totally agree. I take vacations 3 or 4 times a year. I do pretty much whatever I want to do for hobbies. I have that luxury. But I know plenty of people with a household income under 100K in CA that own homes that cost 650K or 700K and I can't even fathom the stress that must create for them. I literally can't comprehend that kind of financial decision.

FYI, I'm a firm proponent of living within (or underneath) your means.
ob
4/11/2018 7:12am
Slaying it, enough said
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
4/11/2018 7:17am
kb228 wrote:
90k isnt all that much in california money is it? Isnt that comparable to 50k for normal people
peelout wrote:

tprice07 wrote:
Haha this exactly. Plus he is making a salary from Seven, BTO, Kawasaki, SPY, and I'm sure some underwear and sock companies...all that together he is...
Haha this exactly.

Plus he is making a salary from Seven, BTO, Kawasaki, SPY, and I'm sure some underwear and sock companies...all that together he is doing pretty good. He's a talented guy on a bike and has 550k followers....breeds for some decent return.
I'd rather live in a cave than live with my parents...
Titan1
4/11/2018 7:18am
TannerMxer wrote:
BobKerr wrote:
TannerMxer wrote:

The fundamentals of the mortgage lending now is nothing like 2008...no junk loans (interest only, neg am, low teaser rates, hard prepayment penalties, etc)...and even beyond that the vast majority of buyers (upwards of 95%) are documenting their income, assets, employment, etc and the documentation requirements require double documentation (income is verified with pay stubs, W-2’s, tax returns and then the bank is required to request a copy of your tax transcripts from the IRS just to make sure those docs are legit-up to 2008 they wouldn’t have to document any of those things-or there assets or employment...a guy working the night shift at a 7-11 making $12/hour in 2007 could buy a $800k home...and he would do it on a loan with a very low teaser rate and a neg ammortizatiom schedule planning to sell it before the teaser rate went away.)

I’m not saying there won’t be another correction, if fact, there will be...but it will be minor compared to 2008....so if you are expecting a 2008 type of housing correction don’t hold your breath (baring a massive spike in unemployment...).

Sorry to change the subject...
TannerMxer
4/11/2018 7:22am
BobKerr wrote:
TannerMxer wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
The fundamentals of the mortgage lending now is nothing like 2008...no junk loans (interest only, neg am, low teaser rates, hard prepayment penalties, etc)...and even beyond...
The fundamentals of the mortgage lending now is nothing like 2008...no junk loans (interest only, neg am, low teaser rates, hard prepayment penalties, etc)...and even beyond that the vast majority of buyers (upwards of 95%) are documenting their income, assets, employment, etc and the documentation requirements require double documentation (income is verified with pay stubs, W-2’s, tax returns and then the bank is required to request a copy of your tax transcripts from the IRS just to make sure those docs are legit-up to 2008 they wouldn’t have to document any of those things-or there assets or employment...a guy working the night shift at a 7-11 making $12/hour in 2007 could buy a $800k home...and he would do it on a loan with a very low teaser rate and a neg ammortizatiom schedule planning to sell it before the teaser rate went away.)

I’m not saying there won’t be another correction, if fact, there will be...but it will be minor compared to 2008....so if you are expecting a 2008 type of housing correction don’t hold your breath (baring a massive spike in unemployment...).

You're totally right. I embellished and pumped up what I was trying to state - which is that there will be some type of market drop in housing. My brother is the county property appraiser for Ventura County (CA) and he constantly lets me know that something has to give soon. The area around there cannot support the house prices. There are the level of jobs for those home prices. He keeps telling me a strong correction should be coming.

If it does, I will be selling my home in DFW and moving back to Ventura County if I can get a house for 350-450K.
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
4/11/2018 7:34am
TannerMxer wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
The fundamentals of the mortgage lending now is nothing like 2008...no junk loans (interest only, neg am, low teaser rates, hard prepayment penalties, etc)...and even beyond...

TannerMxer wrote:
You're totally right. I embellished and pumped up what I was trying to state - which is that there will be some type of market drop...
You're totally right. I embellished and pumped up what I was trying to state - which is that there will be some type of market drop in housing. My brother is the county property appraiser for Ventura County (CA) and he constantly lets me know that something has to give soon. The area around there cannot support the house prices. There are the level of jobs for those home prices. He keeps telling me a strong correction should be coming.

If it does, I will be selling my home in DFW and moving back to Ventura County if I can get a house for 350-450K.
Not worth the state income tax PLUS population PLUS draconian laws PLUS the pollution.
TannerMxer
4/11/2018 7:42am
Titan1 wrote:

TannerMxer wrote:
You're totally right. I embellished and pumped up what I was trying to state - which is that there will be some type of market drop...

kott0n wrote:
Not worth the state income tax PLUS population PLUS draconian laws PLUS the pollution.
It's where I grew up. I can live with the increased taxes. I pay $500-$1000 per year in tolls and my property taxes are nearing 8K per year for my 232K house. I don't think there's anything wrong with CA laws. Plus my hometown in Ventura doesn't have a pollution problem.

Here's a couple photos from my last visit there.

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/11/2018 7:44am
BobKerr wrote:
TannerMxer wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

You are correct Titan. You get grilled pretty hard to get a mortgage nowadays and that is how it should be. Most of those people during the bank fiasco had no idea what a ARM was and that’s how a lot of them took a dump. There is one thing that is rarely mentioned and to me it is the most important reason for living in So Cal.
It’s the weather. There is a reason prices are high....like that old saying “you may get 4 seasons but 3 of them suck”. I can go riding on 72 degree days 12 months out of the year, there may be a few 90’s or 60’s along the way but the 72’s won’t be far behind. To me that is worth $$$

Hodges, at 90k a year makes plenty of money to own a house. There are different areas to purchase, it’s all not La Jolla, Newport Beach etc

Isn’t he up in the Temecula area? All you need to do is look 5-10 miles from the center of town and you will find very nice track homes that are more than affordable at 90k a year. I’m sure he will do just fine.
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/11/2018 8:05am
TannerMxer wrote:

The next housing correction will be far more localized than 2008, but it will happen at some point.
LoudLove
4/11/2018 8:22am
King KTM wrote:
I’ll take 50k a year for riding my bike in Louisiana money all day long.
bf884 wrote:
25k in cash and 25k in crawfish?
King KTM wrote:
SOLD!!!
But that's only 10K lbs of crawdaddy. Two weekends for yer average coon-ass. Maybe three if that sumbich step-brother busts probation.
Paul333
4/11/2018 9:27am
Doesn’t his Dad work for Monster?
Bry145
4/11/2018 1:07pm
Don't look at gross pay. Look at net pay.

We are fools if we believe our gross pay is what we make. It isn't!

Taxes are being taken to support the welfare state, the New Deal, and the Great Society. Productive people are being pick-pocketed. I thought stealing was wrong per the 4th Commandment? Ha!

What you get to keep is what you make!

Rant over, for now...

Asimo
4/11/2018 1:17pm
jwoods121 wrote:
Monster: 90k events: 2k-10k each Sponsors: $? He's hitting Mexico Spring Break, Nascar events, his video's and commercials. Free bikes parts and gear. He's doing good.
Monster: 90k
events: 2k-10k each
Sponsors: $?
He's hitting Mexico Spring Break, Nascar events, his video's and commercials. Free bikes parts and gear. He's doing good.
Exactly. He sure gets alot of hate though for it all. Not really sure why. If he was racing nobody would say anything.
Bry145
4/11/2018 2:22pm
peelout wrote:

Are we sure he still lives with his parents?

That said, adult children who do live at home are a big economic problem in this country. Not experiencing independence as well as sacrificing fun things to pay the rent/mortgage is doing adult children a disservice and impairing their development into adulthood. It also subsidizes fluff industries (alcohol/pot/video games) and hurts important industries like home building which can potentially employ many trades and people and pay decent wages and benefits.

If adolescence starts at 10 and ends at 30, our society and economy is in trouble. Without men going out on their own and having at least the foundation to start families, birth rates will go down and the economy will not be self-sufficient. If too many people are riding in the wagon, and too few are pulling it, the wagon will slow down or stop. Not good.

Rant over, for now...

peelout
4/11/2018 2:38pm
peelout wrote:

Bry145 wrote:
Are we sure he still lives with his parents? That said, adult children who do live at home are a big economic problem in this country...

That said, adult children who do live at home are a big economic problem in this country. Not experiencing independence as well as sacrificing fun things to pay the rent/mortgage is doing adult children a disservice and impairing their development into adulthood. It also subsidizes fluff industries (alcohol/pot/video games) and hurts important industries like home building which can potentially employ many trades and people and pay decent wages and benefits.

If adolescence starts at 10 and ends at 30, our society and economy is in trouble. Without men going out on their own and having at least the foundation to start families, birth rates will go down and the economy will not be self-sufficient. If too many people are riding in the wagon, and too few are pulling it, the wagon will slow down or stop. Not good.

Rant over, for now...

no idea if he still lives at home. i just remember his first video was him waking up and walking downstairs passing ma and pa.

i'm just a jealous mid-30's bro picking my nose in my office chair dreaming of a day sprocket bolt injuries no longer plague the sport i love.
Naanak
4/11/2018 3:01pm
Bry145 wrote:
Are we sure he still lives with his parents? That said, adult children who do live at home are a big economic problem in this country...

Rant over, for now...

I understand what your saying fully. Being 22 and living at home is not my desired deal right now but if I moved out I would be living at the poverty level. It’s much harder to get decent job early on now then it was 20+ years ago. Also unlike some people my age I’m out applying to tons of jobs and saving most of my money. Like I said it’s not ideal but moving out at a young age isn’t impossible but it is a lot harder to do with financial stability then it was.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/11/2018 3:21pm
peelout wrote:

Bry145 wrote:

Rant over, for now...

I get what you're saying 100%, but in some cases it's really really hard to get out of mom and dad's house. My wife, kids and I still live with my parents. It's all we could afford to do. My wife and I were just approved for a home loan of $200,000, which unfortunately isn't much anywhere near our area. We are doing whatever we can to try and find a house to buy, but there isn't much inventory and rent for a 2 bedroom apartment exceeds what I bring home monthly. It's not easy for some of us, no matter how hard we work, but we are trying
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/11/2018 4:00pm
So would you guys say Hodges is a little under what Deegan was in racing skills? All I know about him is the occasional videos I see of him. Anyway, if he can turn his mediocre racing skills into the business Deegan turned his into when he stepped away from the track then he is on his way to a pretty successful career on dirtbikes. I still say 90K is not bad and if that’s what the rumor is I’m betting it’s well above that. Most self employed peeps don’t want the true dollar amount made public

Post a reply to: Axel Hodges 90k a year!?

The Latest